What was your opinion on Etika being a fan of Fire Emblem?

DarkSage861

I thought a good question for everyone here is Etika's time as a Fire Emblem and how people thought about it at the time and if anything changed. My earliest memory of Etika was back in 2013 when he came up to a crowd in New York calling out Jwittz (I was huge on Jwittz during that time) his videos and humor were funny so I stuck with Etika through the very end. When he reacted to Robin and Smash and wanted to play Awakening, I was so hyped to see him play it cause it was basically his introduction to the series. 

For the most part my opinion on him being a fan of the series didn't really change because he has such a cool output when it came to the games and just wanted to have a good time, I do recall that a lot of hardcore fans on the other hand didn't really like him getting involved in the series as they apparently blamed him for this "waifu fandom" BS but the way I see it is that he just wanted to learn more of the games and be apart of the community just like so many others, my favorite moments of Etika came from those playthroughs  but I guess it just wasn't enough for the elitists. I wonder what those type of people feel like now that he's dead

Anyway what was your opinion on Etika being a fan of the series and did it change overtime?

Edited by DarkSage861
typo

3 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

I thought a good question for everyone here is Etika's time as a Fire Emblem and how people thought about it at the time and if anything changed. My earliest memory of Etika was back in 2013 when he came up to a crowd in New York calling out Jwittz (I was huge on Jwittz during that time) his videos and humor were funny so I stuck with Etika through the very end. When he reacted to Robin and Smash and wanted to play Awakening, I was so hyped to see him play it cause it was basically his introduction to the series. 

For the most part my opinion on him being a fan of the series didn't really change because he has such a cool output when it came to the games and just wanted to have a good time, I do recall that a lot of hardcore fans on the other hand didn't really like him getting involved in the series as they apparently blamed him for this "waifu fandom" BS but the way I see it is that he just wanted to learn more of the games and be apart of the community just like so many others, my favorite moments of Etika came from those playthroughs  but I guess it just wasn't enough for the elitists. I wonder what those type of people feel like now that he's dead

Anyway what was your opinion on Etika being a fan of the series and did it change overtime?

If people actually had a problem with that. Its honestly ridiculous. Him playing the games was awesome and he will always be my favorite content creator of all time. Gatekeeping is so dumb, like video games are meant to be played and enjoyed. He loved the waifu aspect of it. I ADORE the waifu aspect of FE, I still enjoy the gameply and old games elitists love so much to praise that is lacking of the "oh so waifu emblem" they hate so much in the current games. (Kaga etc .) People can't say it's not possible to love both. Regardless, him being a fan was awesome and fun to watch his enjoyment of the series. Wish he got to play Three Houses, he would have loved it ❤️

Edited by TheChoZenOne

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I guess my opinion could be broadly summarized as "Who?"

One of the greatest content creators on youtube on the Nintendo side of youtube. Surprised you haven't heard of him, he had the most popular smash bros reaction videos haha. But yeah, he passed away a few years back. Really REALLY great person and had a beloved and hilairious fanbase/dedicated following

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That would be my opinion as well.

As for the broader topic of elitism, gatekeeping, and the difference between old school and modern FE... Well, elitism and gatekeeping both suck, but it also frustrates me when I see the terms getting over-used. For instance, this is elitism: "obviously we're only considering lunatic classic here, because other difficulties just aren't worth playing." Whereas this is not elitism: "I prefer classic mode, because I like the challenge." Similarly, this is gatekeeping: "If you haven't played every game in the series at least twice, then you have no right to call yourself a fan." But this is not gatekeeping: "I loved the old games in the series, but don't really enjoy anything from Awakening onward."

And let's be honest here, the toxicity goes both ways. I've definitely seen elitism and gatekeeping from old-school fans directed at newer fans, but I've also seen newer fans be awful at old-school fans. Implications that old school fans are inflexible and need to change with the times, or that being a fan of the older games automatically makes someone an elitist. When, obviously, no it doesn't. People just have different tastes and preferences, and not liking Three Houses is no more and no less as legitimate an opinion as not liking Thracia 776. 

In short: like what you like, let other people like what they like, don't assume bad faith from people with different tastes to you.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Like most, this is me too. I however will say that I don’t enjoy any of the FE YouTubers so that probably doesn’t help.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

That would be my opinion as well.

As for the broader topic of elitism, gatekeeping, and the difference between old school and modern FE... Well, elitism and gatekeeping both suck, but it also frustrates me when I see the terms getting over-used. For instance, this is elitism: "obviously we're only considering lunatic classic here, because other difficulties just aren't worth playing." Whereas this is not elitism: "I prefer classic mode, because I like the challenge." Similarly, this is gatekeeping: "If you haven't played every game in the series at least twice, then you have no right to call yourself a fan." But this is not gatekeeping: "I loved the old games in the series, but don't really enjoy anything from Awakening onward."

And let's be honest here, the toxicity goes both ways. I've definitely seen elitism and gatekeeping from old-school fans directed at newer fans, but I've also seen newer fans be awful at old-school fans. Implications that old school fans are inflexible and need to change with the times, or that being a fan of the older games automatically makes someone an elitist. When, obviously, no it doesn't. People just have different tastes and preferences, and not liking Three Houses is no more and no less as legitimate an opinion as not liking Thracia 776. 

In short: like what you like, let other people like what they like, don't assume bad faith from people with different tastes to you.

Pretty much this. Like I don’t like the idea of Ironmanning the FEs but a lot of people do. Just because I don’t like it doesn’t mean I have to deny it’s existence nor does it mean I’m not a “True Fan” of the series. I believe there is no levels of fandom, you either are or aren’t a fan. You can’t be less of a fan then another unless you just aren’t a fan. Sure there are some who would be called “super” fans but… how often is that used as a good thing?

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

if this thread were to appear a week ago then this will be my reaction to. funnily enough i tried looking at his videos yesterday, but not because FE, but other games.

as for blaming him for promoting waifu fandom... seems like the guy just like waifu in general no matter the games. i seen him liking even silly moment in other franchise that usually dont have many silly waifu moment before (xenoblade 2). so instead of blaming him for waifu fandom in FE, making it "waifu fandom in nintendo games in general" seems more fitting.. but even dumber and silly. so, no. etika was a fire emblem fans or not doesnt really matter 

i also of opinion toxicity goes both ways. since these "new" fan will also become "old" fans when FE release two or more game anyway. 

Edited by joevar

1 hour ago, joevar said:

if this thread were to appear a week ago then this will be my reaction to. funnily enough i tried looking at his videos yesterday, but not because FE, but other games.

as for blaming him for promoting waifu fandom... seems like the guy just like waifu in general no matter the games. i seen him liking even silly moment in other franchise that usually dont have many silly waifu moment before (xenoblade 2). so instead of blaming him for waifu fandom in FE, making it "waifu fandom in nintendo games in general" seems more fitting.. but even dumber and silly. so, no. etika was a fire emblem fans or not doesnt really matter 

i also of opinion toxicity goes both ways. since these "new" fan will also become "old" fans when FE release two or more game anyway. 

Waifu cannot be blamed on one man. Waifu is a primordial force of nature that has existed since before life on this planet. It will continue to persist long after we are all gone, up until the last life form has the last sexual thought in existence.

... who?

This question kinda stuns me. Like, even if this person were super-famous, I find the question very strange. My response to "What is your opinion on Barack Obama being a fan of Fire Emblem" would be... okay, I'm glad he likes it, I guess?

17 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

... who?

This question kinda stuns me. Like, even if this person were super-famous, I find the question very strange. My response to "What is your opinion on Barack Obama being a fan of Fire Emblem" would be... okay, I'm glad he likes it, I guess?

Obviously if he were a fan we'd need to interrogate him about the legality of using roms with fan subs and how best to change that situation. And if he hasn't played Thracia he need be ostracized from politics for good.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Waifu cannot be blamed on one man. Waifu is a primordial force of nature that has existed since before life on this planet. It will continue to persist long after we are all gone, up until the last life form has the last sexual thought in existence.

without ancient waifu, we wont exist anyway. who are we to blame someone liking waifu.

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

JRPGs as a whole being shamelessly pandering. Fire Emblem isn't even one of the worse offenders, by a longshot.

this is assuming no other genre like pandering. even card game or tabletop game genre is "pandering" to something nowadays as far as i can tell 😄 . anyway, doesnt seem like a real problem worth fussing over to me

15 minutes ago, joevar said:

without ancient waifu, we wont exist anyway. who are we to blame someone liking waifu.

this is assuming no other genre like pandering. even card game or tabletop game genre is "pandering" to something nowadays as far as i can tell 😄 . anyway, doesnt seem like a real problem worth fussing over to me

Everything panders. To put this as nicely as possible, some genres pander way more, and to worse types of people, than others. Korean MMOs in particular have a serious problem (looking at you TERA).

I found his ironmans entertaining, and really enjoyed watching them. Frankly I think it's tragic that he destroyed his entire library of content. People have been doing their best to recover everything possible and there's still so much missing. Doubly so since now it's all we have to remember him by.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Obviously if he were a fan we'd need to interrogate him about the legality of using roms with fan subs and how best to change that situation. And if he hasn't played Thracia he need be ostracized from politics for good.

Few voters are aware that Obama's Middle East policy was heavily inspired by Thracia-style ballista mechanics.

On-topic, I actually never knew Etika was into the Fire Emblem series! I was only aware of his as a Smash YouTuber. A serious shame that he died so young.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Typo.

I remember Etika, but not particularly anything fire emblem related. I know he did Smash trailer reactions. That's really all he was right? Reactions, youtube drama shit stirring. Didn't he take hundreds of donated dollars and send it to Donald Trump's campaign in 2016 on stream "as a joke"? Definitely not the sort of person I care to remember. And I think the only time I ever heard of him on THIS fire emblem site was the day he died. 

If anybody discovered Fire Emblem through Etika/Smash Bros, that's cool. Most of us had the same trajectory.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I stopped watching Obama's streams after he began using Nino. He reset almost every map because of her and I Just...I can't deal with Nino fans. I really can't. He's a Tellius fan though so he's not all bad. Every time I see Ike I remember Obama's words: "He's a fine young man, that Ike". 

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I have almost zero engagement with YouTubers of any kind. I have watched some video game LPs, but of the no-commentary kind, I wanted to see the games in action, not hear someone talk about them. -But if people enjoy watching that kind of stuff, I haven't the slightest problem.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Saw this in Far From the Forest today.:

h1jw8gom7li91.jpg

I can't entirely disagree with this.😄

W H O ? ? ?

Just kidding, I know who he is. But for others who don't, he was a YouTuber and Twitch streamer that got pretty popular off of his reaction and news content, and he was quite the character, to say the least. You can't find his channel on YouTube anymore, but it's not hard to find reuploads of some of his more popular videos. His fanbase is also very dedicated; he actually has a mural in New York dedicated to him (as of this post). As of today, it's been three years and two months since he passed away.

As for my own personal opinion, it's nothing fancy, just something I can apply for anyone:

• If there's something you like, that's cool, and you have all the power in the world to like that something.
  • If I also like that something, that's even cooler, and I would be glad to talk with you about it.
  • If I'm not particularly interested in that something, I can at least respect the fact that you like that something.

With that said, I definitely had some common interests, such as Smash and Fire Emblem, so naturally I would be perfectly fine with him being a Fire Emblem fan no matter my stance on the series, but I was always more interested in the man behind the camera and the insights and life advice he left behind.

He was an amusing content creator. I would never forget when he was playing Fates and was planning the Birthright path until he saw Camilla and decided to stick around on Conquest.

On 8/19/2022 at 2:03 PM, indigoasis said:

Twitch streamer

Don't call him a Twitch streamer 😢

He was my favorite content creator those years back. His Fates and Awakening streams were always entertaining and something to look forward to. The way he played was different from the way I played which is save scum level up and reset. His passing was unfortunate, that was a rough time.

At the end of the day people can play however they want, it's not a competition unless it is. Somebody goofing around with the game and not being concerned with difficulty, turn count, and all of this other stuff is perfectly fine. It's not like someone is unironically doing things to give themselves an unfair advantage in a challenge run then boosting about being the best player after the fact.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:10 PM, DarkSage861 said:

I do recall that a lot of hardcore fans on the other hand didn't really like him getting involved in the series as they apparently blamed him for this "waifu fandom" BS but the way I see it is that he just wanted to learn more of the games and be apart of the community just like so many others, my favorite moments of Etika came from those playthroughs  but I guess it just wasn't enough for the elitists. I wonder what those type of people feel like now that he's dead

I wasn't lurking around any fandoms when a lot of the more toxic discourse was happening. I definitely see cases of it on Twitter and Reddit, so it is what it is I guess. Like someone mentioned earlier blaming one person for "Waifu Emblem" is nonsensical. But that's people unfortunately. Simply not engaging with the content if you don't like it is too much to ask.

On 8/19/2022 at 6:35 AM, Dark Holy Elf said:

... who?

The reason I ask this is because during the time the hardcore fans were not veey happy that he was getting involved with the franchise when clearly he's playing them for fun and learning the lore more. The worst of it came from his Fire Emblem Heroes reaction stream where he didn't know any of the pre Awakening characters (besides characters like Marth) and the chat was super pissed off at him due to it

My goal for this post was to hopefully maybe get someone who was like that in the past and see what changed now that time has past and he's been unfortnately dead for quite a bit

3 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

The reason I ask this is because during the time the hardcore fans were not veey happy that he was getting involved with the franchise when clearly he's playing them for fun and learning the lore more. The worst of it came from his Fire Emblem Heroes reaction stream where he didn't know any of the pre Awakening characters (besides characters like Marth) and the chat was super pissed off at him due to it

Kind of depends on who you consider hard core friends. As this thread has demonstrated, a lot of seasoned players literally didn't know about his existence. 

Edited by Jotari

12 hours ago, DarkSage861 said:

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying!