Mythic Hero - Freyr: Dream-King

I feel like he arrived three books too late at this point. I don't think I believe that IS knew what was going to happen with their story so far ahead of time that they felt they would be able to hold onto Freyr and drop him in during a main book entry that includes his aunt, and during a TT+ story arc revolving around his book. I kinda wish they'd just released him closer to his book's end and instead of clogging up the mythic lineup with so many OCs just give us characters like regular Deghinsea or Anri or Roland or whatever.

What I will say is that it's good he is finally playable in his base form though. And I guess this gives hope for regular Fafnir and regular Elm as well. Even though they should've just been released after their books!

He looks good.

His C skill is quite supportive. It needs testing, but could it counter Elimine's False Start? Like, you False Start Catria so she can't trigger her weapon, or you False Start an Armored Unit so they can't charge their defensive special with Hardy Fighter... But then Freyr nullifies that penalty and allow his allies to trigger their skills?

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I feel like he arrived three books too late at this point. I don't think I believe that IS knew what was going to happen with their story so far ahead of time that they felt they would be able to hold onto Freyr and drop him in during a main book entry that includes his aunt, and during a TT+ story arc revolving around his book. I kinda wish they'd just released him closer to his book's end and instead of clogging up the mythic lineup with so many OCs just give us characters like regular Deghinsea or Anri or Roland or whatever.

What I will say is that it's good he is finally playable in his base form though. And I guess this gives hope for regular Fafnir and regular Elm as well. Even though they should've just been released after their books!

For Freyr to become playable now, makes me believe he will have a role in the current TT story, considering Peony and the others fairies are inside Freyja's Dreams. I can see him being the next TT boss or something.

So we could kinda predict Fáfnir becoming playable next year at some point during the Book 5 TT story, and Elm in 2025 for the same reason?

I agree that would prefer having him back in 2020, or early 2021.

It's silly that they've withheld him for this long and I agree with Sunwoo that he should've been released closer to his book, but in the end I'm glad we finally got him and hopefully it means Fafnir and Elm will join him in the following years. As for pulls, Blue has Ingrid with Guard Bearing/Arcane Luin (the former of which I need for Cormag) and two great Mythics so I'm planning on pulling to see who I get.

Freyr's Dream Horn got Slaying, guaranteed follow-up, and damage reduction; C skill Dream Deliverer neutralizes penalties on itself and allies at start of either phase, grants Resonance: Shields to unit and ally at start of turn, and has Guard in combat if allies are near. He is not bad and his effects suit defense teams well, but he is kind of bland.

He is also an anima Mythic. Is he trying to run away from his sister or something?

2 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

His C skill is quite supportive. It needs testing, but could it counter Elimine's False Start? Like, you False Start Catria so she can't trigger her weapon, or you False Start an Armored Unit so they can't charge their defensive special with Hardy Fighter... But then Freyr nullifies that penalty and allow his allies to trigger their skills?

It should be able to counter False Start, at least on for Freyr's allies and assuming Freyr himself is not hit by it. I am not super sure it will counter False Start if it is inflicted on Freyr himself though, but I lean towards it can counter False Start.

Sounds like a PvP guy then. It's telling about the overall quality of the banner that despite blue being populated by beast units I don't really care about, it's still the least-worst colour for me here because Ingrid is the only unit I would even consider spending orbs on.

Just as well I suppose given I have no orbs, but on the other hand it also kind of sucks that for one of the rare times I might be able to spark on a Mythic banner, there's nothing worth getting.

I just want to point out we're up to three Blue Beast Cav FEH OCs (Nerbuz, Eitr, Freyr) on the year, and two of them are Mythics (and are even related to each other).

23 minutes ago, XRay said:

He is also an anima Mythic. Is he trying to run away from his sister or something?

Given that Mila (Light Mythic) and Duma (Anima Mythic) have the same thing going on, you're probably not too far off of the mark.

Don't the units released in the buildup to the CYL banner usually vary wildly from obvious pre-CYL bait to safe skips that probably only the stupidly lucky or whales will get without feeling bad about their orb spending habits? I feel like Freyr is leaning more toward the safe skip side of things.

Aside from him, the only notable units on the banner for me are the newly-summonable Male Alear (purely because he's summonable now) and Rearmed Ingrid with her good Speedy-Arcane weapon. I think I'll stick to summoning from the current Engage banner.

what?! WHAT?! W.H.A.T?!?!

HEEEEEEEL YEAAAAAAAAHHH FREYR IS HERE!!!!

I'd say it looks kinda random to have him here but it's starting to look that IS is delaying the release of Heroes's popular characters (I mean the OCs) on purpouse like they've been doing with characters from other FEs, I started to have this impression a while ago after reflecting on why base Fafnir isn't on the game yet and why Fallen Gustav was even released so much time after book III, and also why didn't Bruno get his OG version during or after book VI.

I mean, as infuriating as it is, it always made sense to do this with other FEs, because if they released all of the popular characters first then we'd get to a point where no one would be very hyped about the new heroes banners anymore, that's why sometimes they hold major and popular characters like Kent, Sain, Erynis, Lex, etc... For so many years. I wonder if they're starting to take Heroes' characters seriously enough to start doing that with them as well, or at least if they realized that the OCs are popular enough to get enough hype and money by using this strategy with them too.

Getting OG Freyr now gives me hope for OG Henriette, Gustav, Fafnir, Bruno, Fallen Fafnir (and whoever else they might have forgotten or not cared enough to add to the game before, but now are realizing that it'd be profitable to do it someday) someday. For me thats great.

I gotta admit that I'm not as hyped about Freyr as an unit though, there's nothing particularly special or exciting about him I guess, specially now that we're so close to the CYL (thinking well, releasing Freyr now was the perfect time for IS, they're using him as one of the "spend all your orbs now to be poor by the CYL banner", and the hype for him specifically couldn't be much higher than now since Freyja's and her family's lore had been slowly getting expanded on with Nerfus/Nerthus/whatever and now the new TT+), so sadly I won't spend my orbs on him... at least for now, I haven't been summoning more than once on the past legendary/mythic banners (neither on the recent new heroes banners) so I don't have several of the units that have been appearing on them, which means that as soon as we get a good one after the CYL, I'll go for it to get lots of units at once with a very high chance of getting cool units I don't have since I don't have most of these new ones. That's right, I'm coming for you one of these days Freyr (I wouldn't specifically spend all of my orbs on him, but if the rest of the blue units are good, when I decide to go all in a future Legendary/Mythic banner, then I hope to get him on the way). There was a time, like in 2021 that I'd usually only heavily summon on the Legendary and Mythic banners since I didn't have most of them, it was a very good strategy (it made it easy to get lots of mythic and Legenaries + the best units of new heroes banners), which eventually resulted in me having enough of them for it to become a bad strategy (I never go for extra copies on purpouse so yeah, I didn't want to pull on Legendary and Mythic banners with frequency anymore, save a few exceptions where there's were mostly only Heroes I still didn't have, since I had a very low chance of getting the small amount of units I actually wanted) but now it had been long enough for it to start being a good strategy again!

Gee, now I remembed one of my first threads (around 2021 too I think), it was a discussion about how cool it was that Summer Freyr was released, and me and most people there were agreeing that he'd likely never get his OG version and that for him to get a seasonal was already lucky... Now look at us.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

Oh, nice! Freyr's color sharing with his aunt (and Ingrid, whom I also don't have.) Man, it's been a while since I've really wanted to summon on a mythic/legendary banner. I have basically no orbs, though. :') Still no Diamant, but I got both rearmed units, so that's good enough for me to shift focus to blue on this banner. I hope I get Freyr and Goat Aunt! (I don't have any Freyjas, but besides her, I'd have the whole goat set (of those released so far) if I get those two, including Summer Freyr.) Man, and all this right after all my dream/time loop theorizing in the book 7 discussion thread. XD It really is like he was reborn! I hope I get him quickly.

If no blue nodes are available, uhhhhh....colorless or green, I guess? I don't have Eitri, and I like dragons.

Anyway, yay! Dream Goat!

Being a defense Mythic Hero means I can at least justify not pulling too much on this banner. I might try to go for a minimum of +2 like with any other Legendary/Mythic Hero banner, but if he decides to not show up like they always do, I wouldn't mind stopping early. I might even skip sparking for him and use it on Nerthuz instead, especially if I pull him before the spark.

Based on a reading of Dream Deliverer's description in both English and Japanese, it looks like it prevents False Start from being applied to begin with, even if Freyr himself would be hit by it. Which is stupid if that's in fact the case. Aether Raids defense teams are oppressive enough as it is even with False Start available.

Do people still like this game mode anymore? Every new defense Mythic they release and half of the new Duo/Harmonized units look like they're specifically designed to make Aether Raids be as little fun as possible because negative fun is apparently still too fun.

Anyways, have some translation notes:

Freyr's epithet, "Dream-King", is "夢の王" (yume no ō), "King of Dreams".

Dream Horn is "夢の王の角" (yume no ō no tsuno), "Horns of the King of Dreams".

Lull Atk/Def is "攻撃守備の凪" (kōgeki shubi no nagi), "Atk/Def Lull". "Lull" as a noun meaning "calm", not as a verb.

Dream Deliverer is "人に安らかな夢を" (hito ni yasuraka na yume o), "[Granting] Peaceful Dreams to People". "安らかな夢" (yasuraka na yume), "peaceful dreams", is the direct object of an omitted verb that is implied by context. The omitted verb is clearly "to grant", "to give", or "to bring", which all mean the same thing when applied to dreams. However, this particular format of having a direct object with the verb "to grant" omitted is typically used for wishes, so this skill name can also be, perhaps more accurately, translated as "may peaceful dreams be granted to people". For another example of this format, see the full Japanese name of the anime Konosuba, "この素晴らしい世界に祝福を!" (kono subarashii sekai ni shukufuku o!), "[may] blessings [be granted] to this wonderful world!".

Edited by Ice Dragon
The hyphen is completely unnecessary and serves no grammatical purpose.

Finally! Glad we now have a way to expect Fafnir, Elm, and anyone else following in their footsteps. As for the others... who knows. Maybe Bruno and/or Henriette will show up on the Book 6 TT's New Heroes banners?

35 minutes ago, Othin said:

Finally! Glad we now have a way to expect Fafnir, Elm, and anyone else following in their footsteps. As for the others... who knows. Maybe Bruno and/or Henriette will show up on the Book 6 TT's New Heroes banners?

Wait... We don't have OG Elm too?! Shit, somehow I think managed to not realize this until now, or I just erased every single memory about my frustration of not getting Elm on the game, maybe, idk. Yeah, now it definitively looks like they're leaving some OCs out on purpouse only to release them later, probably it started to be intencional with Fafnir (and Fallen Fafnir, maybe), while with everyone that came before it was probably because they didn't ser the need to even put them on the game before and then realized that they could just do it now.

17 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Wait... We don't have OG Elm too?! Shit, somehow I think managed to not realize this until now, or I just erased every single memory about my frustration of not getting Elm on the game, maybe, idk. Yeah, now it definitively looks like they're leaving some OCs out on purpouse only to release them later, probably it started to be intencional with Fafnir (and Fallen Fafnir, maybe), while with everyone that came before it was probably because they didn't ser the need to even put them on the game before and then realized that they could just do it now.

The weird thing about Fallen Fafnir is, he and regular Fafnir have the same hero title. I don't know if that's also true of the Japanese version, but if so, it'd be a really odd situation that could indicate a lack of plans to make them both playable. Although they could just give a different title to the playable version of one of them.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Based on a reading of Dream Deliverer's description in both English and Japanese, it looks like it prevents False Start from being applied to begin with, even if Freyr himself would be hit by it. Which is stupid if that's in fact the case. Aether Raids defense teams are oppressive enough as it is even with False Start available.

Do people still like this game mode anymore? Every new defense Mythic they release and half of the new Duo/Harmonized units look like they're specifically designed to make Aether Raids be as little fun as possible because negative fun is apparently still too fun.

I still enjoyed the game mode when I quit. I can imagine Light being more difficult, but I do not think Astra was that bad, and I do not think they released anything since I quit that could make Astra a pain. On Astra Season, at least half the time, I brought a Save tank team and spammed Elimines, mostly for the damage reduction rather than False Start, and it was pretty easy. I would not have liked Embla if I continued playing, but she is a Dark Mythic, so Astra Season would have still been fine.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

The weird thing about Fallen Fafnir is, he and regular Fafnir have the same hero title. I don't know if that's also true of the Japanese version, but if so, it'd be a really odd situation that could indicate a lack of plans to make them both playable. Although they could just give a different title to the playable version of one of them.

They can change that no problem though.

Playable Heiðr is called "Innocent Goddess", while enemy Heiðr is the "Cursed Goddess". Legendary Veronica in the story is the "Princess Beset", but then became the "Princess Rising" when her banner released.

My main complain about Fallen Fáfnir is his art, honestly. They reused the OG Fáfnir's art as a base, and then added the extra effect and design changes... but he is still mounted in his mecha in the attacking and damaged arts, which doesn't match the type of unit he is in that version.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Do people still like this game mode anymore?

I actually like Aether Raids, honestly. It can be challenging and BS sometimes, but it can also be fun when you finally discover a way to counter a defensive team. It is more enjoyable than Duels to me, that's for sure.

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

They can change that no problem though.

Playable Heiðr is called "Innocent Goddess", while enemy Heiðr is the "Cursed Goddess". Legendary Veronica in the story is the "Princess Beset", but then became the "Princess Rising" when her banner released.

My main complain about Fallen Fáfnir is his art, honestly. They reused the OG Fáfnir's art as a base, and then added the extra effect and design changes... but he is still mounted in his mecha in the attacking and damaged arts, which doesn't match the type of unit he is in that version.

Oh, huh. That's a bigger problem then, yeah.

33 minutes ago, XRay said:

and I do not think they released anything since I quit that could make Astra a pain.

The Duo Catria map archetype has had the additions of Legendary Shez, Duo Askr, Duo Mark, Legendary Robin, and Arval, all of whom are stupidly strong. Assuming False Start is now off the table as a viable counter, this setup is now virtually unstoppable in Astra season like it already is in Light season.

Brave Edelgard's refine and recent appearance in Hall of Forms makes her one of the strongest Near Save tanks and is extremely hard to break. She's usually the one preventing you from breaking Duo Catria setups with a Galeforcer. Canto Control means you usually have to use a Galeforcer instead of a Canto unit. No, Harmonized Edelgard doesn't work; I've tried.

Embla still sees usage on Astra season as a counter to Save teams because why reduce the amount of lift you lose on a defense loss when you can just not lose in the first place.

Brave Seliph is virtually unkillable in one round of combat and can be used as a Wings of Mercy beacon. He's also just really good at killing things.

Duo Elise and Duo Shamir are new additions to cavalry lines as well as regular maps.

I've fought one Summer Ephraim so far, and he was scary.

Cornelia is a bitch.

So is Legendary Robin.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm pretty sure everyone who takes it seriously just tolerates Aether Raids at best at this point. But then that causes me to ask: why are people still taking Aether Raids seriously to begin with?

4 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Wait... We don't have OG Elm too?!

Yeah, and we can probably blame that on the flop that was Otr's Mythic Banner. I'm entirely expecting them to skip releasing Njordr in this current Book and give us a Gullveig & Kvasir doubleheader in November.

However, Elm is actually still alive (as of the Forging Bonds for this year's Fallen Banner) so the door is definitely open for him to come back.....though if Freyr is anything to go by, we probably won't be seeing base Elm for another two years (when it'll be Book VI's turn at getting a TT+ series).

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Duo Catria map archetype has had the additions of Legendary Shez, Duo Askr, Duo Mark, Legendary Robin, and Arval, all of whom are stupidly strong. Assuming False Start is now off the table as a viable counter, this setup is now virtually unstoppable in Astra season like it already is in Light season.

But could not they all be stopped by just copious amounts of damage reduction? Even if they run Null Follow-Up, three stacks of Elimine is still 38% damage reduction on top of whatever the super tank/save tank has.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, XRay said:

But could not they all be stopped by just copious amounts of damage reduction? Even if they run Null Follow-Up, three stacks of Elimine is still 38% damage reduction on top of whatever the super tank/save tank has.

Not if there's a Lethality or Deadeye or Special Spiral 4 or unit with 50% percentage damage reduction nullification mixed in.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not if there's a Lethality or Deadeye or Special Spiral 4 or unit with 50% percentage damage reduction nullification mixed in.

But those cannot pierce Hardy Fighter though, which is 50% or 75% damage reduction depending on the defensive Special, so they need to hit like some insane numbers.

14 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Elm especially makes sense with the whole "stepping into the roles of the previous gods" thing the TT+ stories have going on. Elm would make a perfect successor for Embla.

As for Fafnir... *shrug* He was originally from a different world anyway, so no idea what IS is going to do about that.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

But those cannot pierce Hardy Fighter though, which is 50% or 75% damage reduction depending on the defensive Special, so they need to hit like some insane numbers.

Hardy Fighter cannot activate on both of two consecutive hits.

Hardy Fighter also cannot be used on ranged units, so you're stuck giving up a skill slot for Distant Counter.

Hardy Fighter also means you're passing up on a damaging Special, and most of these units can soak up a non-Special hit.

Now that Freyr is released, I can confirm that Dream Deliverer nullifies False Start.

This is stupid.

Between Dream Deliverer and C Feud and False Start having been useless in Summoner Duels from the start, what even is the point of Elimine existing anymore?