Legendary Hero - Alear: Awoken Divinity

Fire Emblem Fan

• She has not been in the game for a year and already has a Legendary alt.
  • This is all but confirmation that we're never getting a Gauntlet weapon.
  • Dragon Blast doesn't even do any blasting.

...Well, if I had any doubts that Freyr last month was a sign that they're running out of ideas, I wouldn't anymore.

Yeah, this one doesn't impress me. The only new thing is that she's a dragon with a brave weapon; something we've never had before, but also something we've been able to spoof ever since Bridal Catria. I honestly find her Atk/Spd Pledge more interesting.

She looks to be a great unit. I have some complains about her art/design though...

Engage Spoilers:

Spoiler

I thought they would do Emblem Eternal Alear as the Legendary, with the Emblem form as the Dragon transformation and with Dragon Blast as the dragon breath.

I confess that the weapon is kinda lazy. They picked her Sword, changed it to a breath and added Brave effect. Thats it.

With that said, I liked the support ability on the Special. Granting Null DR to support partner is great. Having that effect in specials like Ruptured Sky or Flare without the need to run Special Spiral 4 will be very welcomed in Arena.

Huh, cynical-ass me thought this would be M!Shez as a Green Dagger Legendary because Fodlan definitely needs one to go with their Red Dagger Legendary and their Blue Dagger Legendary.

Also, that sure is a face F!Alear is making in that Special Activation art. 

29 minutes ago, Some Jerk said:

She has not been in the game for a year and already has a Legendary alt.

Reminder that F!Shez got added last September and then got her Legendary just three months later (in December).

IS made F!Alear wait a little more than twice as long (seven months) before she got to have her Legendary. That's at least some sort of progress, right guys? 

Edited by Tybrosion

I was annoyed that Engages divine dragon wasn’t actually a dragon, while this is not the best place to fix that, I’d still be amused by Ninian spawned dragon Roy.

I’m interested in the special more than anything, although I’m still confused by the wording. Brave Corrin would be an interesting target

I’m also worried about beating her speed in the grand hero battle, but that’s a few days away.

...I should probably play Engage again. I've still only just got to the part where you get Ike's ring...

In other words, this legendary means little to me. Dragon Blast looks neat from a support standpoint. Atk/Spd Pledge is just ASoath4 with a different Bonus effect, which doesn't interest me that much to be honest... yeah, not a whole lot for me to care about... I'm glad it's not Fodlan again, but I think that's only because they're running out of units who can be legendaries from that game.

Meister dragon. Cool.

A bit disappointed they didn't use this opportunity to introduce an inheritable Special for dragons, but I suppose there's always a chance they'll have one for Halloween.

Pledge is basically a combat version of Oath and probably has Oath 3 as its prerequisite skill. It's nice to be able to offload Special acceleration to the C slot. Given that fliers don't get access to Flashing Blade, it doesn't seem likely for fliers to be able to get the skill, but it would be nice if they could since, you know, they don't have access to Flashing Blade.

As for translation notes:

Alear's epithet, "Awoken Divinity", is "救世の神竜" (kyūsei no shinryū), "Divine Dragon of Salvation".

Dragon's Fist is "神竜の体術" (shinryū no taijutsu), "Divine Dragon's Martial Arts".

Dragon Blast is "神竜破" (shinryūha), "Divine Dragon Rend".

Atk/Spd Pledge is "攻撃速さの信条" (kōgeki hayasa no shinjō), "Atk/Spd Conviction".

Strong I'm sure but uninteresting. I could have mined a bunch of Story Map and CC orbs to spark her, but I have no desire to. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the sword infantry version is more interesting with the huge mobility boosts.

Incidentally, I'll be finishing Engage tonight finally.

I don't think gauntlets ever really stood a chance of being added as its own weapon type. There simply aren't enough characters that could be given the weapon type, so it would have to have leaned almost exclusively on Special Heroes to justify its existence. Beasts at least have a large enough pool of characters from existing games as well as plenty of Heroes characters, and alternate-color weapons are of common weapon types with character pools large enough to support them (and, other than colorless dragon, are also being weapons that can be given to any character as a Special Hero).

They've been "cheating" with the dragon weapon type for a while now in terms of having units with invisible weapons and non-transformations, and I don't see why they can't do the same with other weapon types to accommodate gauntlets. We already have units that dual wield and duplicate the weapon sprite for the other hand, so I don't see why they can't give us a sword, lance, or axe unit that simply has no weapon sprite and punches the enemy.

9 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

This could very well be the death knell for gauntlets, couldn't it? Adding them now after this would be really strange.

In fairness, Heroes is no stranger to adding things that feel inconsistent with previous additions.

Stats and skill restrictions for Atk/Spd Pledge [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

legendary-alear-lvl-1-and-40-stats-v0-ek

Super Asset(s): Atk
Super Flaw(s): Res
*Like all the dragon Corrins, Legendary F!Alear here got the trainee boost and as such has a BST of 198.

Atk/Spd Pledge is restricted to infantry units.

Well...I like that she's using Arts...but I don't like how it's not actually a weapon type. This, I think, is the final death kneel for any hope I have of them ever giving us gauntlets. Also a bit weird that its her promoted form. Like, it looks pretty much identical to her first tier. I was sure the Emblem form would be Legendary Alear. Wonder when they'll make use of that? Are they hoping to save it for a CYL victory or something?

19 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

This could very well be the death knell for gauntlets, couldn't it? Adding them now after this would be really strange.

Oh, someone else used the exact same terminology as me. Now I feel unoriginal 😞

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

I wished the special finishing animations that Legendary Heroes get was used for when they trigger the special.

For Alear's finishing animation, she uses the kamehameha Dragon Blast. That would be great for her special triggering.

GbvYAUu.png

I guess they didn't want it on her special in order to make her more believable a breath weapon (even if she'll probably be triger her special more often than her regular attack, just like the "totally using a tome" legendary Byleths). But I gave her Flame Tongue to see what would happen and the answer was nothing. She functions as if other breath weapons just don't exist. The laser didn't even turn red.

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I guess they didn't want it on her special in order to make her more believable a breath weapon (even if she'll probably be triger her special more often than her regular attack, just like the "totally using a tome" legendary Byleths). But I gave her Flame Tongue to see what would happen and the answer was nothing. She functions as if other breath weapons just don't exist. The laser didn't even turn red.

Yeah...

I have the same feeling about Legendary Roy, where his finishing animation has that flame effect... but it doesn't trigger if the killing blow is the special attack.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

But I gave her Flame Tongue to see what would happen and the answer was nothing. She functions as if other breath weapons just don't exist. The laser didn't even turn red.

That's because the beam is part of Alear's animation, not Dragon's Fist's animation. Fomortiis's Demon Light finishing animation is also tied to himself, not to his weapon.

Unit animations simply have "attachment points" for weapon sprites and magic animations. If the unit lacks an attachment point for a weapon sprite, the unit simply won't have a weapon, even if equipped with a weapon that has a sprite, and if the unit lacks an attachment point for a magic animation, the unit simply won't have a magic animation, even if the weapon does.

7 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Yeah...

I have the same feeling about Legendary Roy, where his finishing animation has that flame effect... but it doesn't trigger if the killing blow is the special attack.

It's been something that's bothered me ever since Legendary Heroes were first released. Special animations have priority over finishing animations, but finishing animations are generally flashier and much more unique.

I'm specifically still looking at Fomortiis right now.

26 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

It's been something that's bothered me ever since Legendary Heroes were first released. Special animations have priority over finishing animations, but finishing animations are generally flashier and much more unique.

I'm specifically still looking at Fomortiis right now.

I agree.

At least for Ascended and Rearmed heroes they did the opposite, and put the unique animations in their specials.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I didn't even know finishing animations were a thing.

They typically show them off in the trailer, but with pretty much all modern units being designed to land a Special in every round of combat, they don't often actually get the chance to do so anymore.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

I didn't even know finishing animations were a thing.

Here's a video that has all the special finishing animations from Legendaries, Mythics and some OCs (excluding Ascended and Rearmed) heroes, up to Gotoh & Fomortiis banner.

Huh, I guess I just never thought about that old stuff like Fjorm's flips being a separate thing to specials, even though it's blatantly obvious if I had put much thought into it - the lack of special art, the units with defensive specials, etc.