QOTD Thread: The End

Interest

Whenever I leave my car in a parking lot and come back for it, the first thing I always say or think is, "Where did I park my car?"

I'm still not 100% confident in my ability to drive to places I've seen and driven to many times on my own.

I get lost in my friend's neighborhood, despite having been there many times.

The first few days after I start living on a new university campus, I literally need a map in hand to navigate. Which requires me to turn the map to orient it in the proper direction. After a week or two, I can get around without a map.

Sometimes I still can't tell left from right.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, no problem here. Never had one. I was the 6/7 year old who could find the way back to the station when neither parent could, or reeled off routes to directionally confused visitors to the London area.

Nowadays I get lumped with any and all navigation tasks, while everyone else all but switches the route finding part of their brain off. Which makes it all the more annoying when I do lead us into a bog...

Anywhere between poor and abysmal. Notable feats of my navigation include;

- Spending an hour trying to find the exit to a shopping centre.

- Walking 8 miles in one night trying to find a supermarket.

- Spending an hour trying to find a house five minutes away, eventually going around the district and finding the other end of the street.

- Walking out of a room, then back into it through another door.

- Asking someone for directions and them assuming I'm foreign due to how badly lost I got.

- Leaving the town I was in unintentionally on foot.

- Having to ask someone where their front door was when leaving their house.

- Was team leader of my scout group's hiking team. I was the only one who could sorta map read... we came last.

At this point it just might be easier to post a picture of Ryoga.

A+ with maps and familiar ground, decent with road signs, awful in unfamiliar areas otherwise

If I get familiar enough with an area I can do shortest route calculations in my head. Helps for getting to class in time when I have to run across the campus in 10 minutes.

Edited by Ezio Auditore da Firenze

My navigational skills are decent...if we are talking about going within Columbus, Georgia or Montgomery, Alabama.

Or just going across cities/towns without actually going in them.

Outside of those, they are quite laughable to where I need a GPS.

Edit: I nearly got lost trying to get back to the Atlanta Downtown Connector when I was leaving Momocon 2013, because I didn't use a GPS and I wasn't familiar with the area. Shut up

Edited by BLS

-I am very capable of finding where north is.

-I can retrace my steps easily.

-I can remember certain landmarks well.

-I've never found myself walking in circles.

-I have a good general sense of direction, and if given a specific destination, I can find myself easily.

I have hiked quite a bit, so I guess you can say I'm pretty good.

Nonexistent. I'll get lost if I didn't have my phone or a picture map or something.

Also, I'll lose sense of where I am momentarily if I go indoors for a long time and then exit, especially if it's in an area I'm not that familiar with.

Edited by Sylveon

My navigational skills are so good that I could find Atlantis, your soulmate, and the treasure located within Davy Jone's Locker on a brief trip.

You know, I used to think I was pretty normal at navigation. Until I studied abroad in Europe, where the structure of the streets seems rather box like compared to what I'm used to, and I suddenly realized that I can't find my way anywhere. Most of the kids were fine after going there just once or twice. I...still got lost after spending weeks in the same place. It was then that I understood how terrible my sense of direction is.

What sense of direction? Man, Ezreal would hate me. . .

Who needs a map, right? ;P

Anyways, new question!

I guess the logical follow-up for the previous question would be something like this: What methods of transportation do you use? Do you drive a car or does someone drive you? Do you find yourself commuting by public transportation (train, bus, etc) or do you bike, walk, or run to try to avoid traffic jams?

What I usually go anywhere nowadays, I drive my car. However, before that I found myself doing a combination of walking, biking, and taking the subway to get places.