SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not late

1. First/current impressions of me (Refa)?

2. What about shmups in general appeals to you?

3. I'm surprised Sonic was so high on the list, despite you never talking about it.  What are your favorite Sonic games?

4. Would you download Go Sanic Go! on your mobile platform of choice?  Because that would definitely [citation needed] be one of your favorite Sonic games.

5. What made you decide to do your reinterview now?  Did someone gather all of your body parts and resurrect you?  Again?

i don't do repeat questions

6. What would you say if someone you hated asked you for your first/current impressions?

7. In your professional opinion, what areas can I improve in?  If it's avatar choice, I"m not listening.

8. Thoughts on small talk?

9. What are your thoughts on the Bubble Bobble timeline?  Which branch is better, the Bubble Bobble sequels or Rainbow Islands?

10. Noticed you had a lot of old arcade games on your list, so I was wondering what you think about arcades themselves.  What about the ones you visited?

as the pokemon stadium 2 announcer would say, i'm making up for lost time

11. RPGs are long games.  What do they need to do (in general) to hold your interest?

12. Why do you believe in not having to achieve anything in order to live a good life?  Less questioning you, more curiosity.

13. Why are T-Rex's better than Triceratops?

14. Actually, what are some of your other favorite dinosaurs?

15. Thoughts on ramen?  On a scale of me to Ken Doi, how much ramen have you had?

i like how i don't capitalize these forwards even though i'm capitalizing my questions fuck the punctuation too

16. If you had to describe yourself in the most positive light possible (while also being honest), how would you do it?

17. Are you a psychopath???? :thinking:

18. Have you played the Exile games?  If so, what are your thoughts on them?  If not, what are your thoughts on them?  What are your thoughts on them?

19. How do you decide what's your favorite when you get those questions?

20. Thoughts on Roy Mustang?

cuteness is justice

21. Do you err on the side of justice or forgiveness?  More of a general thing, since I'd be worried if you only did one 100% of the time!

22. How do you get motivated to do things?

23. What's so great about children?

24. Pay students for studying?  When are you going to take over the world and institute this because I'm hyped.

25. Why did you kill me? ;_;

noooo don't eat us try our special mars "snow eel"

26. Favorite method of communication?

27. What's your Myerrs Briggs personality type?  How well does it describe you?

28. What kinda game is your game idea?  What are its inspirations?

29. If you had to name your game after a Queen song, which one would you pick?

30. Who's cooler, old people (as in, senior citizen age) or children?

are you a bad enough dude to save the president

31. Thoughts on the Mega Man franchise and all of its subseries?

32. How can you tell if people like you?  How can you tell if they love you????

33. Would you consider yourself to be selfish?  Why or why not?

34. Any questions you don't want to be asked? ;)

35. What modern games are you interested in?

yah, it's me, refa

36. How do you feel about Chen stealing one of my questions?  I'm very saddened by this. =(

37. Are there any people you wish you could talk to more?  Are any of them on SF?  Who are they?????

38. You're going to America?!  When?  Where?  Why? How?  What

are you going to do there?

39. Do you ever get jealous?  When's that?

40. If you had to choose between ALL CAPS and no caps for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?  Please respond in the appropriate format to show your sincerity.

you spoony bard

2041: Are you impressed that I've asked over 2000 questions?  I'm pretty sure that's a record.

2042: Thoughts on winking?

2043: Should I finish Snow Crash?

2044: Top 10 favourite anime, with very detailed descriptions.  I uh didn't answer this, but I'm sure you could do what I couldn't!

2045: When are you going to take the fedora back and make it great again?

see you next time, space cowboy

2046: Are you main charecterish?  What does one have to do to be that?

2047: What do you think about the prevalence of fanservice in modern media?

2048: If you could be on an episode of Game Center CX, what would it be about?

2049: Actually, what are your favourite episodes of Game Center CX in general?

2050: Do you have any TOP TIER ADVICE on how to be happy regardless of the situation (unless the situation warrants being unhappy, of course)?

jet fuel can't melt steel beams

2051: Your castle totally normal, average, every day, run of the mill, mundane house idea seemed pretty cool, but I noticed it was lacking in ninja maids.  Is this something you'd implement further down the line, in a few hundred years or so?  Would you have a spare area for your esteemed pal Olcox?

2052: Favorite mythical creature?  What about it appeals to you, and are you afraid that it'd try to eat you?

2053: What personality traits do you look for in other people?

2054: What are your thoughts on Treasure?  If they could make a new game, what would you want it to be like?

2055: Actually, if Treasure could get their hands on an OLD game franchise, what would you want that to be?

resistance is futile

2056: How do you feel about the SF upgrade?

2057: What is so appealing about villains?

2058: How do you cope with stress?

2059: Have you seen FE Echoes art?  If so, what do you think about it?

2060: In general, what are your favourite character designs?

itchy tasty

2061: Favorite video game quotes?

2062: Biggest inspirations in life?

2063: What's your favourite game console?

2064: When are you going to play Trails in the Sky?  Please soon kthnx.

2065: Which is better, sibling relationships or romantic ones?  Asking for a friend named uh.Toto.

7 hours ago, Refa said:

not late

1. First/current impressions of me (Refa)?

2. What about shmups in general appeals to you?

3. I'm surprised Sonic was so high on the list, despite you never talking about it.  What are your favorite Sonic games?

4. Would you download Go Sanic Go! on your mobile platform of choice?  Because that would definitely [citation needed] be one of your favorite Sonic games.

5. What made you decide to do your reinterview now?  Did someone gather all of your body parts and resurrect you?  Again?

definitely on time

1. First: You seemed so innocent and tiny, I thought you were kind of a little boy. Maybe it was the Megaman avatar too. But then you showed you were more than meets the eye.
Current: I was trying to find a pic of the Gynoug ending, but I couldn't find the one I wanted. =( AT ANY RATE, you're a great guy (self-proclaimed but now also me proclaimed). You're very fun to be around and you probably already have heard this a billion times but you're also very witty and funny. It's really refreshing and fun to talk to you, and you always have something good and interesting to say about things, especially when it comes to vidgams. I enjoy your company and respect you a lot in general! I'd definitely say I consider you among my best friends, but I dunno how you feel about that so it's tentative.

2. Oh man it's THE question. I think one of the biggest parts of the appeal is the amazing sense of adventure it gives, going into and bravely challenging the unknown as a lone ship. The first Gradius is probably a good example of this, with the music and everything, but I think Gradius II: GOFER no Yabou is even better about it, and then it reaches its zenith with Gradius Gaiden, one of the greatest games ever made. Otherwise, I think shmups also are one of the genres with the greatest potential for visual-aural storytelling and making the most of their sound and graphics to make a great atmosphere and setting. Darius, Metal Black and R-Type are all really good examples of this, but it's not like Gradius skimps out on it either, though each of them does it in a pretty different way and plays to different parts of my fancy (Darius is deep and otherworldly, R-Type is alien and horrific, and sometimes even melancholic, and Gradius is very exciting and adventure-y, especially in a pulp sci-fi kind of way). I think Metal Black makes one of the best uses of this, actually, because of how much the game's visuals and music tell a magnificently bleak story. Since there's no other text besides the opening and the ending, that's all they can rely on, and they did really super well with that. I think it's for this reason that I find shmups that actually go kinda "story heavy" to be a little underwhelming, because nothing beats that sort of storytelling to me (as far as shmups go anyway, but maybe for other things too).  Besides those, the games also tend to be really well-designed and deeply strategic, even if their mechanics are actually simple when you think about it, and I like the amount of variety there is in how the games present themselves. To bring up the big three again, Gradius is about choosing the right power-ups at the right times, learning stages and enemies and having good reflexes; Darius stages can get pretty manic, but the main interest is the massive, elaborate bosses whose patterns you have to learn by heart if you want to have a chance against them; and R-Type is the original memoriser, where you have to learn all the magnificently intricate stages and enemy patterns before you can make any progress (but just learning those won't be enough, you have to learn how to deal with them too), and the force module is a brilliant idea. I also like horizontal shmups more than vertical ones as a general rule, since their design tends to incorporate the environment and a greater variety of enemies. And they're just so exhilarating and liberating! All in all, shmups appeal to me because they do a lot of things really well! And then there are things like Parodius and the likes, which are just so absurd and colourful, they're amazing.

3. I grew up on Sonic! It was a really huge part of my life for many years, but I end up never talking about it mostly because I guess it's a thing that happened at some point and I don't really consider it that much (like how people don't really talk about the intricacies of walking, or walking at all). That list had no particular order to it, but I like Sonic a lot for a bunch of things. I like the older games because of the stage designs, they're usually really good at being huge, filled with secrets and alternate routes, and still making sense and being coherent, and I also like them a lot lot lot for having really gorgeous and kinda absurd and surreal graphics and art direction. Like, take Sonic 1 for example, with the chequerboard ground in Green Hill and the palm tree leaves look like they're made of paper! There's a lot more I can bring up as examples but you probably already know them. The music also tends to be super stylish and sometimes funky, and I love it for that. It's also a generally fun game to play. In contrast to Mario's more precise nature (or a lot of other platformers' really), Sonic is pretty loose so you play it by ear a lot of the time. That really suits my personality and play style. Sometimes the story is pretty cool too (textless again!) like in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which is actually really impressive and engrossing in its own way. And for the newer games...I like the atmosphere and music and actually kind of unironically like the stories in those too. I don't think the mechanics and design stand as well as the older Sonic games', but they can still be pretty okay. I still need to give Sonic CD a serious try though.

4. DEFINITELY IT SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST GAME and would also probably solve all the lack of exercise problems in the modern world.

5. Yes...I had put a curse on SF and I had to be resurrected just to be killed again in an unholy ritual. Now you won't have any more horrible cursed nights. =)

7 hours ago, Refa said:

i don't do repeat questions

6. What would you say if someone you hated asked you for your first/current impressions?

7. In your professional opinion, what areas can I improve in?  If it's avatar choice, I"m not listening.

8. Thoughts on small talk?

9. What are your thoughts on the Bubble Bobble timeline?  Which branch is better, the Bubble Bobble sequels or Rainbow Islands?

10. Noticed you had a lot of old arcade games on your list, so I was wondering what you think about arcades themselves.  What about the ones you visited?

Definitely not.

6. Give 'em my honest opinion. I'd honestly be glad to let it loose.

7. I don't know what  specifically, but I do think everyone always stands to challenge themselves and their views and mentalities every now and then. Expanding your horizons and broadening your mind and all is always pretty great. But that's not just a personal thing so uh...you could probably play more SaGa games definitely. That's okay, you always choose avatars that look like your real self so obviously great choices!!!

8. Small talk is okay and a pretty good way to unwind, especially with good friends! It's exhausting when it's all you can ever do though.

9. It's a bit confusing to be sure, but I think I like Bubble Bobble a lot more, even though Rainbow Islands is pretty great too.

10. Arcades are the BEST! I really love them. They're rife with colour, excitement, sound and power, and they tend to have a lot of really great games. The ones I visited were all basically like that! Except for the few poor ones that didn't have nearly enough good/interesting machines. And I was going to ride this one horse racing simulator, but the guy said it's only for kids and asked me to get down AFTER I had already frickin' paid for the stupid thing. He was wrong, of course, but I didn't feel like arguing. Oh well. They're great otherwise though! One of my favourite places to go, but it's too bad I don't really have any near me. =(

7 hours ago, Refa said:

as the pokemon stadium 2 announcer would say, i'm making up for lost time

11. RPGs are long games.  What do they need to do (in general) to hold your interest?

12. Why do you believe in not having to achieve anything in order to live a good life?  Less questioning you, more curiosity.

13. Why are T-Rex's better than Triceratops?

14. Actually, what are some of your other favorite dinosaurs?

15. Thoughts on ramen?  On a scale of me to Ken Doi, how much ramen have you had?

Hahaha, well, you certainly are! Not that I mind or anything.

11. I like them to have a really good world/setting (which extends to the visual representation of it) and good/great music, and then a good story wouldn't hurt either. Finally, I'd have to have some interesting and well thought out mechanics to keep me from getting too bored of playing the game. With these things in place, even if some parts are bad or annoying (e.g. super high encounter rate a la Digital Devil Saga or Breath of Fire III to a lesser extent), then I'm going to enjoy the whole enough to not care for the bad parts.

12. I guess I meant it more in the way achievements are typically viewed, e.g. material things. I don't think you'd need to have some really super great amazing achievement to be living a good life. For example, I don't think you'd need to pass university with top grades or become the CEO of a successful company to have a good life. A humble worker living in a small house may not have achieved anything of importance, for example, but he can be happier than a king even, with his simple life. That's what the true achievement is in my eyes, but that's not how most people view it unfortunately, so it leads to them expecting too much and being very greedy and insufferable about things. Of course, I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever try to achieve big things, because that's great in itself and definitely has value and we would, as human beings, stagnate if everyone just stopped trying to do things. I just think it's not really necessary to do so on a personal level.

13. They're actually not! All creations are equal, but I just think I like T. Rexes better.

14. Oh man, there's so much you don't even know. I guess I'll try to keep it to one of each clade...but I like Brachiosaurus a lot among sauropods, it's so tall and majestic, and Triceratops is actually really cool and probably the coolest ceratopsian, it's very powerful and could probably topple most modern buildings and shrug it off, and Ankylosaurus is amazing with its massively thick, nigh impenetrable armour and clubbed tail. Stegosaurus is kind of really weird, but they look really grand with all those spikes and the huge body. Utahraptor is what every piece of dinosaur media thinks Velociraptors and Deinonychus are, so that's amazing! Pachycephalosaurus is pretty great too with the super thick skull, and Parasaurolophus' crest is incredible. The T. Rex is, of course as you know, the tyrant king itself and it is possibly the greatest predator to have ever lived. Powerful muscles, a bite that can crush concrete, and probably a roar that shook the Earth itself. Dinosaurs were amazing, incredible creatures, and I wish they still existed.

15. I haven't had REAL ramen unfortunately, so I can't be Ken Doi. =( But I've had a lot of instant ones, and while they can be pretty tasty, they really lose the appeal after you've had them about 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times. Lately though, I've been trying to spruce it up with extra things and that works pretty well thankfully! So the final verdict: instant ramen (the brands I get at least) is OKAY.

7 hours ago, Refa said:

i like how i don't capitalize these forwards even though i'm capitalizing my questions fuck the punctuation too

16. If you had to describe yourself in the most positive light possible (while also being honest), how would you do it?

17. Are you a psychopath???? :thinking:

18. Have you played the Exile games?  If so, what are your thoughts on them?  If not, what are your thoughts on them?  What are your thoughts on them?

19. How do you decide what's your favorite when you get those questions?

20. Thoughts on Roy Mustang?

and fuck context while we're at it

16. I guess I'd say I try to be honest, sincere, open-minded and just. Keyword: try. That's as positive as I'll be.

17. A-absolutely not!

18. I haven't, but they really interest me because they're a Japanese take on Middle Eastern history (even if it's...not exactly just that, but I'll leave it be). I also think the Working Designs story of how they made Exile 2 impossible by accident is really hilarious. I'd love to try the games one day.

19. I think about which ones I like a lot, but then the thing is that I like a lot of things a lot. So every favourite question turns into me rambling about how everything is great. Ah well, c'est la vie.

20. He's pretty cool, though I didn't like some things about him the first time I read the manga, but it's also been almost ten years or so since I read it, so I should probably re-read it and tell you again.

7 hours ago, Refa said:

cuteness is justice

21. Do you err on the side of justice or forgiveness?  More of a general thing, since I'd be worried if you only did one 100% of the time!

22. How do you get motivated to do things?

23. What's so great about children?

24. Pay students for studying?  When are you going to take over the world and institute this because I'm hyped.

25. Why did you kill me? ;_;

agreed

21. Forgiveness, but sometimes forgiveness itself is justice, so this is a false dichotomy. I'm calling you out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Nah j/k I know what you mean) But usually it's forgiveness because I realise deeply how easy it is for people to make mistakes or to do things they regret now, and also because if I do something bad (whether because of a mistake or because I let myself go too far or etc.) I would like it if people were to forgive me too. And you know, if you want the LORD to forgive you, you should try to forgive others as well. I also, however, realise that sometimes there's no way but to enact justice, even if it's painful and unbearable to do so.

22. It's usually thinking about the good things that will come of it, but sometimes motivation just happens spontaneously. It's really hard to motivate myself when I'm not at all, though...

23. They're cute, fun, funny, and they are our future! They were also once our past, you know. They're the lifeblood of the world, and they bring much warmth, happiness and stability to it all. They are also possibly the greatest catalyst for personal growth and making people actually not be monsters.

24. Hahaha, I only wish! But I don't quite trust myself to take over the world, even though I really do want to better it, but that's how all dictators are born. =(

25. SORRY, I didn't feel like fucking or marrying anyone, so I just made a joke, cop-out response instead. =( How did you find out what it was that I said though?

7 hours ago, Refa said:

noooo don't eat us try our special mars "snow eel"

26. Favorite method of communication?

27. What's your Myerrs Briggs personality type?  How well does it describe you?

28. What kinda game is your game idea?  What are its inspirations?

29. If you had to name your game after a Queen song, which one would you pick?

30. Who's cooler, old people (as in, senior citizen age) or children?

are these references?! I spot some of them...

26. Real life, face to face, hand to hand, man to man. Just like my daddy taught me.

27. It's usually INTJ, and it tends to describe me pretty well, but it's also filled with a bunch of holes. I guess that's okay though since they're meant to be super general and not super specific, but I feel like I don't really fit any single type now.

28. It's an action RPG! Except that I also want it to have a lot of platforming, but not necessarily the two together (although being able to do that would be awesome if I can figure it out). I'd like to make it a game as much about its characters as it is about its world, but also about existence in general. So obviously, it will have a lot of humanistic, environmental and existential themes, among others. I also really love human history and culture, and the fact that there's so many cultures around the world, so I'd like to incorporate that passion and variety into my game. Sorta like Suikoden, I guess. Its inspirations...there's a lot of them in real life of course, myself and a big turning point in my life included. I try to take as much as I can from my and other peoples' experiences, not to mention history and culture in general, because I think things like that are what will truly enrich it. As far as other games go though, Final Fantasy (specifically V), Brave Fencer Musashi, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, ActRaiser, Breath of Fire III and Suikoden are all pretty big ones, and from other things, Guin Saga, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and various books on fiction and non-fiction in various languages, including poetry and such. But perhaps one of its biggest influences is Konami's Gaiapolis. It's not all that great of a game, but I listened to its soundtrack a lot while writing and thinking about the game, so it's really stuck to me now. It's a great soundtrack too, give it a listen when you can! There's a lot I'm drawing from, so I hope I can bring it all together and make it good!

29. PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE. I didn't mention it because of this question (retroactively, I actually didn't notice until now) but that song itself is a very big inspiration for the game and its story!

30. They're opposite ends of the spectrum, and I love the idea of contrast, so both are very cool! Especially when together.

7 hours ago, Refa said:

are you a bad enough dude to save the president

31. Thoughts on the Mega Man franchise and all of its subseries?

32. How can you tell if people like you?  How can you tell if they love you????

33. Would you consider yourself to be selfish?  Why or why not?

34. Any questions you don't want to be asked? ;)

35. What modern games are you interested in?

TOTALLY

31. Megaman is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo huge holy shit. Whenever I thought I had a handle on the series, I discovered 500 other spin-offs. That's just crazy, man! But as far as huge franchises go, Megaman is one of the most quality ones. While I won't vouch for every single spin-off (I will fight to the death for Megaman Soccer, though), I think a lot of the main series and subserieses are very good. I like the original and X ones a lot and Zero was cool from what I remember of it (it's been more than 20 years since I seriously played it), and Legends is...well, the fucking legend. It's an incredible franchise/series overall, and I think my life is all the better for knowing it! I should really get around to playing more of it, though...

32. Usually I discern it by the way they are when with me/around me or the way they talk to me and etc. and that usually turns out to be a pretty accurate way of telling! I can also probably tell they love me because they say it a lot.

33. In some ways, I guess I am! I like to really keep my solitude in real life, and hate for it to be disturbed. I think this is not a good trait, though, and I'd like to amend it soon. I also usually don't think of doing things for others (for example, at dinner I'd usually bring soda only for myself) but that's more me not actually thinking of it/being negligent than me being selfish and going "fuck everyone else I'm the only important one here". I don't think I'd call myself selfish otherwise, because whenever there's a chance I tend to take the most selfless route.

34. N-not really. I'm okay with most everything...I think.

35. I think Breath of the Wild looks and sounds good, and Final Fantasy XV doesn't seem half bad. Yakuza is probably the one I'm most interested in. And Abzû looks really interesting to me too! I don't think I like a lot of newer games, though...

7 hours ago, Refa said:

yah, it's me, refa

36. How do you feel about Chen stealing one of my questions?  I'm very saddened by this. =(

37. Are there any people you wish you could talk to more?  Are any of them on SF?  Who are they?????

38. You're going to America?!  When?  Where?  Why? How?  What

are you going to do there?

39. Do you ever get jealous?  When's that?

40. If you had to choose between ALL CAPS and no caps for the rest of your life, which one would you pick?  Please respond in the appropriate format to show your sincerity.

YO REFA-SAN

36. Wh-which question was it?!

37. Yeah, maybe some people! Probably Mei and Rei Rei, too be honest. The others I kinda already talk a lot too, so that's okay!

38. HOPEFULLY SOON, I don't know the specifics though. =( As for the why...there's a lot of reasons! I wanna meet people, mostly. The where will probably be a lot of places, including but not limited to New York, Kentucky, Ohio and Arizona. As for how, likely by flight, but maybe I'll take a walk there instead! I'm mostly probably going to eat food and hang out with a few friends! I'd like to go to some arcades too!

39. Jealous or envious? If it's jealous, then sometimes I kinda do when I feel like someone I like might be taken from me, or have their attention/thoughts taken from me. It's a bit silly, but I kind of get jealous very easily. If it's envious though, I pretty much never envy anyone, whew.

40. I SPEAK ALL CAPS LIKE WILD SMT DEMON, THEY BEST!

7 hours ago, Refa said:

you spoony bard

2041: Are you impressed that I've asked over 2000 questions?  I'm pretty sure that's a record.

2042: Thoughts on winking?

2043: Should I finish Snow Crash?

2044: Top 10 favourite anime, with very detailed descriptions.  I uh didn't answer this, but I'm sure you could do what I couldn't!

2045: When are you going to take the fedora back and make it great again?

a spoony son of a submariner, to be exact

2041: Yeah totally! You even beat sylv, who was already super impressive.

2042: It's pretty cool, and has its applications.

2043: You should, even if only to get euklyd off your back.

2044: VERY DETAILED HUH. You could totally answer yours any other time, that's how these things work! But as for me...

Spoiler

In NO particular order, it goes something like this:

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Definitely among the top ones, what's to say about this series that hasn't been said before? A lot, it turns out. It's one of the few animes out there that can deal with themes of war, honour, justice, politics, humanity, and etc. and not only deal with them, but do it exceedingly well. The characters and plotlines are not only incredibly interesting and well thought out, they're also very down to earth and realistic, and the voice acting reflects that very much (contrary to a lot of anime). It's pretty much like "wow these people and events can exist/happen" and it brings great joy in that regard. Besides that, I also appreciate the art style in how much variety it gives to everyone when it comes to facial features and body types and all. Also great is that it almost exclusively uses classical music for its soundtrack! It really adds to the regal and sophisticated feeling of the anime. The openings and endings are really great too, especially the endings. They're incredible.

2. Slayers: Both the first season and NEXT are among the greatest things ever made. While LoGH is on the other side of the spectrum in how it's mature, sophisticated and all that good stuff, Slayers is loud, boisterous and exciting. But that's not bad! In fact, it's to its benefit! Slayers has supreme, witty comedy with excellent delivery all the way through, and all the various comical and lighthearted situations help you to relax and feel a sense of familiarity with the characters, and increases the perception of their camaraderie. Because once the comedy has been done for a while, Slayers gets SERIOUS and it shines just as brilliantly in those moments as it did before. Though very comical in nature (people usually take that for being shallow or something), Slayers actually has really considered and interesting characters, and a set of deep and complex mythos. Of course, the art style is the zenith of 90s anime art styles and so so so beautiful, and the music is appropriately incredible, especially the (yup) openings and endings. and the voice acting is TOP NOTCH (God bless the Megumi Hayashibara).

3. Princess Tutu: Really excellent spin on the mahou shoujo genre, Princess Tutu is the story of a Duck (literally, that's her name), and what a magnificent story it is! Very dramatic, and though it looks somewhat silly at first, turns out to be a deep, complex and somewhat tragic and dark story full of unexpected twists and turns. Incredibly strong character development and excellent usage of visual and musical devices (there's a lot of Tchaikovsky, as expected of a ballet anime), Princess Tutu transcends the humble beginnings of her genre and becomes something much more. Forget about Madoka, this was the original deconstruction of the magical girl genre, and it's so much better too!

4. Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still: Magnificent OVA that more or less takes all of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's manga legacy and makes them all into a sweeping, dramatic OVA centred on Yokoyama's Giant Robo, but with an all-new plot and setting. Whether it's the gung-ho Experts of Justice or the massively over-the-top MAGNIFICENT TEN (the villains), it's full of incredibly well-choreographed scenes, all set to appropriately grand music, with characters so strong they make you really wish that they actually continued this series why didn't they. =(

5. Turn A Gundam: Absolutely the perfect Gundam show in every single way. Whereas other Gundam shows had weaknesses in a lot of points, Turn A is the maturation of Tomino's storytelling and direction, and it really shows in how much better he deals with themes of war, immigration, expansionism and the likes, and it has so much more nuance than previous entries. The characters are also much more thoughtfully written, and they develop really well and realistically throughout the story. It also has a great setting and plot, and looks amazing too since it's set in a colonial-ish era. Good music too! Definitely deserves being called the best Gundam, and one of the best anime ever!

6. Neon Genesis Evangelion: This was a monumental series, both for Japan and for me. It's actually really amazing and good, but fandom discourse about it won't let you know that, of course. It's very complex and hamfisted in some ways, but also very nuanced at the same time. The psychological themes, the horrifying angels, the even more horrifying EVAs, the cruel humans, the countless mysteries that run through the series and the amazing musical score, coupled with the unique visual style...they are this series' lifeblood and they give it the power and lasting effect it has, even now over 20 years after its release.

7. Laputa: Castle in the Sky: Hey, you didn't just say series! Laputa is great for all the things you already know about. The magnificent, beautiful and detailed environments and machinery, the great characters and musical score, and the compelling plot. It's so great in fact that like every video game since has ripped it off in an attempt to emulate its greatness (and they succeeded, somewhat!). The saying is true: if it's not ripping off Miyazaki, it's ripping off Star Wars.

8. Armoured Trooper VOTOMS: Gosh, the fourth mecha in this list. But that's because I don't watch too much anime. Anyway, VOTOMS is incredible in a unique way. Sure, Gundam did the whole gritty, war-based mecha stories and all first and VOTOMS came a good while later, but it goes into the real robot aspect so much more, The world is bleak, grungy, and kind of hopeless. The main character is a veteran suffering from PTSD. Hounded wherever he goes not just by people wanting his head, but by his own memories of the battlefield. It's much, much heavier, darker and more depressing when it comes to dealing with war themes, and good for that. And that's not all, the mechs are pretty great too! Unlike everything else which has pretty glorious mechs, all the VOTOMS mechs are small-ish, tanky things that would go for the mooks in any other series. But here? They're the main deal. They're kind of the only deal, and they feel so much more realistic as they're more or less like the natural evolution of the tank. Anyway VOTOMS is great and has a great opening and ed.

9. Patlabor 2: The Movie: Mamoru Oshii directs this sequel to Patlabor: The Movie and in tone, plot and everything...it's just not really Patlabor. Supremely politically inclined, full of detective work (they are police after all) and masterfully paced and directed, it's the perfect Patlabor movie, even if it may not be very Patlabor. Also with a striking soundtrack that sets the mood perfectly and great usage of shadows, angles and lenses, it's Oshii at his best doing what he does best with one of the best IPs.

10. Probably Sailor Moon: Actually make that a definitely! It's really fun and great, has great music and beautiful 90s anime art. It's also way superior to Crystal, much more interesting and expressive. I haven't actually finished the entire series yet though, but I couldn't think of anything else I'd put in the top 10 so I just put this in. Whew. I'll get back to you when I watch more animes! I mostly just read mangays instead so I couldn't fill this in after some point, but I'll redo it whenever I get to see more things, like uhh...that one anime about a girl. =)

2045: In the year 200x, definitely!

6 hours ago, Refa said:

see you next time, space cowboy

2046: Are you main charecterish?  What does one have to do to be that?

2047: What do you think about the prevalence of fanservice in modern media?

2048: If you could be on an episode of Game Center CX, what would it be about?

2049: Actually, what are your favourite episodes of Game Center CX in general?

2050: Do you have any TOP TIER ADVICE on how to be happy regardless of the situation (unless the situation warrants being unhappy, of course)?

yee haw

2046: I wouldn't really say, since main characters tend to suck. :smug: Really though, it depends on what you're the main character of since typically, each medium, genre and even culture demand for different sorts of main characters. I guess generally being the main focus is enough, but that means everyone is the main character of their own stories, which is true!

2047: It depends a lot on the context and execution. I'm generally not fond of it at all, but if it's in a comical/absurd context or if it makes sense for the thing it's in (e.g. Catherine) or other such similar things then I'm more likely to tolerate it. Otherwise though it's one of the things that can turn me off pretty easy, especially if it's just there for titillation and nothing else, and its massive prevalence especially in recent years is kind of repulsive.

2048: AKUMAJOU DORAKYURA or maybe SaGa definitely. Those are the two things I'd like to talk about the most, but I'd be okay with a lot of other things too! After all, it's Game Center CX we're talking about here. Who wouldn't want to be with the Kacho?

2049: I have unfortunately been unable to watch past the second season. =( But so far, I really like the Koei, Capcom and Taito episodes. The Makaimura and Konami Wai Wai World episodes were also really neat! It's a great show in general, and I love a lot of the episodes. Arino makes everything he does very entertaining and relaxing to watch, and the episodes tend to be really nice and informative otherwise. It's such a good show! Every other video game show should've learned from it, to be honest. If they did now we'd just have a lot of Arinos and not 1000000000000000 people citing how "Super Castlevania IV is easy/not engaging and the sub-weapons are useless because blah blah blah" and they'd all just be cool instead.

2050: TOP TIER ADVICE huh. Physically speaking, there's a lot of things that can affect our moods; sleep, diet and exercise are all incredibly effective at doing these things, so a good amount of sleep (preferably before 11 PM until about 7 or 8 AM, depending on your needs), a good and well-balanced diet and even a moderate amount of exercise (just a 30 minute walk a day will do at the beginning) will do wonders for your mood. While I think it's definitely possible to be able to do the things I'm about to say without doing these other things, it just makes them so much more easier and more lasting too. As for the rest: I guess the best thing I can tell you is to have no expectations. What does this mean? It means that by expecting good things, you can't also at the same time not think of the bad things, and thinking of the bad things will only distract you from what you need to do. If the situation doesn't really call for being all that sad (or at all), then take the situation and either make it a happier one for yourself or if it's already not bad, then just look/think of the parts that make you happy. Distractions are your biggest friends when you're feeling unhappy in general, so try a lot of uplifting and happy things to help change that. Surround yourself with things you love and things that make you happy. Good, optimistic stuff! Avoid anything that would be annoying or cynical or negative or etc. Finally, to make any of this last, you will be in need of a pillar of strength. It can't be of anything that's material, because whatever that is material is subject to ruin and destruction, even if eventual. An abstract one, however, is not. Playing shmups is also definitely a great way to improve your mood, 100% scientific fact! At the end though, if there's anything else I can say it's to not overthink things too much, and if things don't always go your way, then that's just how life is! It's our duty to make the best of whatever happens, and you know, life's just too short to not make use of it, right? Don't worry about any lost time though, whatever time you "lost" was definitely a good experience and will serve as a good stepping stone for everything else. It's also good to keep in mind that I guess you don't really need to be happy or anything at all times, it's okay to be neutral too! I've found these things to work for myself pretty well, and after working at it for a while without stop, you'll be able to build the mental strength to avoid it or rebound from it later on. There's not much else I can say, so sorry if this isn't as good as you were expecting. =(

6 hours ago, Refa said:

jet fuel can't melt steel beams

2051: Your castle totally normal, average, every day, run of the mill, mundane house idea seemed pretty cool, but I noticed it was lacking in ninja maids.  Is this something you'd implement further down the line, in a few hundred years or so?  Would you have a spare area for your esteemed pal Olcox?

2052: Favorite mythical creature?  What about it appeals to you, and are you afraid that it'd try to eat you?

2053: What personality traits do you look for in other people?

2054: What are your thoughts on Treasure?  If they could make a new game, what would you want it to be like?

2055: Actually, if Treasure could get their hands on an OLD game franchise, what would you want that to be?

yeah it was an inside job

2051: Oh yeah, I'd definitely hire those ninja maids later on. I forgot about them, so thanks for reminding me! Unfortunately, Olcox passed away some time ago, but I can install you in the guest wing instead. We'll just name it uh...Reflox's Quarters...or something...

2052: Dragons are pretty fascinating, but would yokai count? I really love yokai, all sorts of yokai! My favourite are probably ONI, but I also love those that are just an umbrella with one leg, one eye and a tongue sticking out. I wouldn't really be afraid of dragons or yokai eating me, to be honest. Well, actually, oni do eat people, so I guess I would be...

2053: I don't really know, I never really actively look for specific things in people, and never really go looking for people in general! I enjoy it, however, when people I associate with are open-minded, nice, informed, have a sense of humour, and etc. etc. but it's by no means a requirement! I like all sorts of people.

2054: I really love Treasure. I've mostly played their Megadrive and Saturn output, but that's a stellar collection right there! And probably their best if we're being honest. If they could make a new game...I'd like to see them try their hands at an RPG, that's something they haven't really done. Of course, I'd like it to be filled with the usual Treasure-isms, including intricate mechanics that no one can understand.

2055: If they had to get an old franchise, I'd like to be one where they won't be restricted too much by it, so...something like Contra could do the trick! Or GnG could be pretty great too, to see a Treasure take on it. I'd honestly be interested to see their take on a lot of old franchises, but those two come to mind first. Oh and Goemon too! I think that would be neat.

6 hours ago, Refa said:

resistance is futile

2056: How do you feel about the SF upgrade?

2057: What is so appealing about villains?

2058: How do you cope with stress?

2059: Have you seen FE Echoes art?  If so, what do you think about it?

2060: In general, what are your favourite character designs?

resistance makes my...

2056: It's garbage. I wish they'd kept BB Code formatting intact, at least, but they didn't even do that! It's amazing how software progressively is going towards becoming less and less intuitive and more bloated.

2057: They're just so incredibly charismatic, and usually the best looking and sounding of the cast. They're also usually very hammy and can chew scenery like nothing else! Definitely the most interesting of all characters too. Though none of this happens always...but it's often enough!

2058: I try to do things that would distract me from it and calm me down, like eating ice cream or taking a long walk (usually exhausting myself does the trick), and then trying not to think about it or think of ways I could help it/make it better or how it's not actually all that bad, etc. etc. but I try to avoid getting to that point in the first place. Once I'm feeling a bit better, I try to extend it by doing things I enjoy.

2059: I have, and it's pretty great! I wish Awankening and Fartes had similar art/designs.

2060: I think you already know that I pretty much like all of Kojima's character designs for Castlevania, haha. I also like a good amount of the older designs too. This page lists a bunch of SaGa Frontier character art, which I will choose as my representative of the SaGa series in general! The whole series has really amazing character designs, and I love Kobayashi's art. On that page in specific, I like KING SEI, Dr. Nusakan (my Discord pic!), Time Lord and Vadjouel a lot (it's supposed to be Virgil, but I guess this person was transliterating from Japanese). Asellus, Princess Whiterose and Meiren (actually Mei Ling) are pretty great too. And just because I like you, I'll re-link this picture of Saruin, the main antagonist of Romancing SaGa, which is definitely one of my favourite designs of forever. This guy is called Hector, and he's a mercenary in Romancing SaGa 2. Definitely a top tier design too! I won't link them since you're familiar, but I also love pretty much every Amano design, Final Fantasy or otherwise, but I like his Warrior of Light for FF1, the Emperor for FFII, and most of all, Golbez and Exdeath. God, those armours... A-anyway, there's a lot of character designs I like! I could list you more, but it'll probably turn into an essay at this rate (though tbh this post already is an essay). I like a bunch of Suikoden and (older) FE char designs too, and the Mana series has some great stuff as well. They might seem a bit generic, but I like Aletheia and Lucius from Granblue Fantasy. And of course, you know I like Rosch and Eruca a lot too. This all should give you a good window into the sorts of things I like!

6 hours ago, Refa said:

itchy tasty

2061: Favorite video game quotes?

2062: Biggest inspirations in life?

2063: What's your favourite game console?

2064: When are you going to play Trails in the Sky?  Please soon kthnx.

2065: Which is better, sibling relationships or romantic ones?  Asking for a friend named uh.Toto.

very pasty

2061: THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY SHALL SCAR THY DNA

CRUSH THIS FLEA WHO INVADES MY CASTLE.

MAGNIFICENT! BUT NOW, FEEL MY UNBRIDLED WRATH!

YOU CLAIM TO LOVE THE DARKNESS. GO THEN AND DWELL THERE FOR ALL ETERNITY.

[entire endgame dialogue in sowtun]

WILL YOU FLEE? HOW APPROPRIATE. TUCK TAIL AND RUN, CHILD OF GAWAIN! IT IS WHAT DOGS DO BEST AFTER ALL.

I am the fearsome king, the evil conscience of God, the serpent of a red Eden... I have many names, many theories bandied about me, and no doubt much awe attached to my name... Thou still darest challenge me...?

2062: Most definitely my religion. I would be nothing without it.

2063: I really love the Megadrive, the NES, SNES, Saturn, Wii, PS2, Dreamcast and even the Master System! And probably others too. But I think the top spot miiiight be taken by the PSX, but all the ones I mentioned I love for a lot of reasons, so they're all great! PSX has probably the best library though.

2064: I need to learn Japanese first, so I can play all the ones that are Japan only (heard some of the earlier translated ones have bad translations and bland graphics and etc.). At that point, I will eventually make my way towards tits! So uh, definitely very soon!

2065: Romantic ones, definitely. Not saying out of uh, experience, nope! I hope your friend Toto can find what they wish for in life.

Edited by Nightmare

To King Marth 64:

How would you describe yourself, personality-wise?

How would your family and real life friends describe you, personality-wise?

What personality traits do you value most? (Eg: kindness, honesty, humility)

Are there any things that annoy you a lot more than it would annoy the average person? (Eg: waiting, excessively loud places, etc.)

Are you lifting the 5 question per post limit and allowing people to ask more than 5 questions at a time?

1. Favorite of the classical and Chinese elements?

2. Which of the seven deadly sins and seven heavenly virtues do you relate to the most?

3. How were you introduced to Fire Emblem?

4. How were you led to Serenesforest?

5. Do you have a favorite history or mythology to learn about?

1: Impressions of me, if any?

2: Opinion on kids, and do you plan to have any?

3: Aspirations in life?

4: What is a movie, video game, etc that you like that everyone else hates?

5: What is a movie, video game, etc that you hate that everyone else likes?

I have 1 question for @King Marth 64.

1. Do you know you're being interviewed right now? Cause it's been a few days and you haven't said anything it isn't good for my lurking schedule.............@.@

I'll just say a second question for banter

2. Do you like waffles?

4 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I have 1 question for @King Marth 64.

1. Do you know you're being interviewed right now? Cause it's been a few days and you haven't said anything it isn't good for my lurking schedule.............@.@

I'll just say a second question for banter

2. Do you like waffles?

Sorry about that I got busy with other stuff.

And I do like waffles.

Edit: I didn't see two users posting a question.

For @Randoman and @Rezzy , I'll answer your question soon, I need to leave the house and go to class right now.

Edited by King Marth 64