Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

Haha Neko, dont bet on that! How many videos of English play have i seen overemphasizing Corrin's importance and Hoshido blood relations? A lot now. :p

Oh well. Game is still gonna be fun to try.

Official site has her summary as "Was raised a spoiled child and still acts spoiled." So i assume that she got Henry Treatment where shes hilariously murderous or weird but cries cuz spoiled, instead of being a literal child psychologically.

Ugh mobile posting

Oh wow, that's interesting! I liked the Henry treatment honestly so I'm looking forward to what they do with her. I didn't dislike her JP character necessarily, but third person speaking characters have a tendency to put me off if not done especially well. I wonder what other awesome lines she has, since just about everything Henry said was pure gold. :D

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all aware how various fan communities reacted to controversial elements of the game but it would be presumptuous to say that Nintendo altered their plans on account of the opinions of vocal minorities. These people do localization as a profession and you think they answer to the whims of the internet when making big decisions like the removal of skinship? It's equally possible that the removal of problematic elements is coincidental with what they had in mind anyway. There's no way a support like Soleil x Mamui would have made it through, whether we complained about it not.

I think you are over emphasizing the value they place on this "public outcry". But if NoA does alter the localization on account of fan complaints, fix Fates' plot please!

I will admit that fan feedback probably doesn't have as much impact as I think it does, but one also cannot say that fan feedback/backlash has no impact whatsoever. The question that I personally always ask whenever something like this happens is; "If nobody had complained about this, would it have been altered/censored/removed?" I personally don't think they would've censored the SoleilxM!Kamui support if there was no backlash against it. They might've changed the dialogue to show consent more clearly, but they wouldn't have changed the subject matter entirely, Nohr (bu-dum tss!) do I think they would've cut skinship out if there wasn't such an (apparently) one-sided dislike of it. Change the dialogue to be less lewd, I can see that, but not cutting it out. Before the whole Kotaku incident, the vast majority of people I've seen give their opinion have stated that it's a weird and uncomfortable feature to use and they'd rather it not be in the game. Even the people doing the IGN video (or at least the guy on the left-side of the screen) said he found the petting to be awkward.

But again, I live in Australia and censorship is much stricter here than it is in the US, so my opinions are probably very different to what most others would have.

Edited by Phillius

So then it would appear to be gone.

Sorta disappointed. Even if skinship is a small little thing it's just frustrating on principle to know that they're selling us an incomplete version of the game. It's not a huge deal in the end, but I reserve the right to feel like I'm being shorted.

If they simply cut it and didn't include any replacement feature that utilizes the 2D models and more characterization-oriented lines, though, I'm going to be rather pissed. That's a goddamn waste.

I think Skinship was a stupid feature pandering to this dating sim thing going on with FE. I didn't mind it in Awakening but Skinship is taking it way too far.

I also don't get why some people are upset about 'removing content'. Sure, the game is 'incomplete' compared to the Japanese version but if it's removing bad content why is that a bad thing? I doubt Nintendo would just get rid of all the resources put into the visuals and will probably replace Skinship. But even if they did just cut all the content, why does it matter? In addition to already having used the content in the Japanese version, visuals are, well, visuals and can easily be viewed online.

Because A) we're paying them money for a version of the game that may be lacking features the Japanese version had, and B) "bad content" is subjective. Just because you personally disliked it doesn't mean there weren't people here running the whole spectrum from ambivalent to looking forward to it.

And just looking it up online isn't the same. Some people wanted to see what the localized/translated versions of some lines would have been, and I'm sure some people want to be able to play with the feature however they wanted to.

Like I wanted to maybe poke Ryoma in the eyes to see if he pinches me with his lobster claws. I'm sure there's Ryoma skinship videos online but they're all just rubbing his cheek and letting him talk, or whatever. Or maybe somebody is absolutely infatuated with Anna and wants to non-ironically rub her face and feel like they've got a virtual girlfriend, or whatever. It may be a little weird to you and me but I'm not gonna celebrate that they can't play the game how they wanted anymore.

Edited by Anomalocaris

I think Skinship was a stupid feature pandering to this dating sim thing going on with FE. I didn't mind it in Awakening but Skinship is taking it way too far.

I also don't get why some people are upset about 'removing content'. Sure, the game is 'incomplete' compared to the Japanese version but if it's removing bad content why is that a bad thing? I doubt Nintendo would just get rid of all the resources put into the visuals and will probably replace Skinship. But even if they did just cut all the content, why does it matter? In addition to already having used the content in the Japanese version, visuals are, well, visuals and can easily be viewed online.

Well, definition of "bad" is different for each person, so some may take it as unnecessary censor. It definitely matters to people who actually look forward to this.

I will admit that fan feedback probably doesn't have as much impact as I think it does, but one also cannot say that fan feedback/backlash has no impact whatsoever. The question that I personally always ask whenever something like this happens is; "If nobody had complained about this, would it have been altered/censored/removed?" I personally don't think they would've censored the SoleilxM!Kamui support if there was no backlash against it. They might've changed the dialogue to show consent more clearly, but they wouldn't have changed the subject matter entirely, Nohr (bu-dum tss!) do I think they would've cut skinship out if there wasn't such an (apparently) one-sided dislike of it. Change the dialogue to be less lewd, I can see that, but not cutting it out. Before the whole Kotaku incident, the vast majority of people I've seen give their opinion have stated that it's a weird and uncomfortable feature to use and they'd rather it not be in the game. Even the people doing the IGN video (or at least the guy on the left-side of the screen) said he found the petting to be awkward.

But again, I live in Australia and censorship is much stricter here than it is in the US, so my opinions are probably very different to what most others would have.

We still don't know how that support will be written. They could have changed it completely (I hope so, the tropes they used are dumb, even beyond the controversy) or they could have just tweaked the problematic parts. What they said was that there won't be drugging or gay conversion suggestive elements.

I'll never forget. I got desktop waifu simulator up and runnin'. Never forget.

I wonder if someone will eventually fully incorporate the sound and touch functions of the the waifu simulator.

It's a bit tedious to use in its current form.

Edited by NekoKnight

I wonder if someone will eventually fully incorporate the sound and touch functions of the the waifu simulator.

Yeahh, in its current form I never bother to sync up the audio. I did it once because I was curious and it was just a pain. It would be cool if in light of this news, they make a more functional form of waifu simulator.

We still don't know how that support will be written. They could have changed it completely (I hope so, the tropes they used are dumb, even beyond the controversy) or they could have just tweaked the problematic parts. What they said was that there won't be drugging or gay conversion suggestive elements.

I'm pretty sure that drugging and gay conversion implications are all that support has to it's name though. Even if they take out using the stuff without their knowledge, they can't really have Kamui looks like a girl to help her get over her...ahem, 'weakness' without the conversion overtones. Although at this point I wouldn't mind if they rewrote Soleil entirely, she's basically just one long love-letter to the idea that girls being gay is just a phase that they grow out of (a trope that needs to die in a fire and be condemned to the ninth circle of hell).

You know, I've seen so many people bash Fates story at this point, that I know I'm going to love it because 9 times out of ten I love what the majority hates, and hate what the majority loves

So, Skinship is gone, and we have some unknown replacement. My curiosity knows no bounds, and it will be sated the 19th.

I'm going to love Fates' story just to spite the haters

yiss. Join me in the spiteful trash bin.

I'm gonna love the story because most of the hate is directed towards Conquest, and well... You know where my allegiance lies. :V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oO7b-oWl2g

Giga was right. Not only was the My Castle Introduction video privatized, so was THE ENTIRE DIRECT!

Wow. Well, I'm not too surprised. IS themselves felt they went too far. At least, that's what I interpreted from that interview with the whole Team A/Team B thing.

Yep! Gonna back up all them files. Voice clips included! XD

I've got the same thing on my computer, but yeah, it does get tedious sometimes and there's no way to really interact with the models.

I'm pretty sad that they removed the petting, though. I'll still enjoy the game no matter what, but I looking forward to stroking characters' faces. I wanted to poke Saizo in the eye.

Yeah, fuck NoA trying to cover up as if nothing is wrong. I don't enjoy being lied to.

If I wasn't planning already not to get the game, I sure as fuck wouldn't be now.

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, skinshipping is probably legit banned from any future Fire Emblems.

In fact, it'd probably be the second thing they address the first being the blue haired lord. I don't see it being patched out of the Japanese version, but I could totally see someone getting demoted or even fired for it.

I wouldn't even expect the Live2D models, and stuff like marriage might be given another thought.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

Yeah, skinshipping is probably legit banned from any future Fire Emblems.

In fact, it'd probably be the second thing they address the first being the blue haired lord. I don't see it being patched out of the Japanese version, but I could totally see someone getting demoted or even fired for it.

I wouldn't even expect the Live2D models, and stuff like marriage might be given another thought.

Children, yes. Marriage? No way, I think that's here to stay.

Live2D has a small chance of staying, depending on if IS thought the gamble paid off/was worth the effort. They wanted to do so much more with it.

Children, yes. Marriage? No way, I think that's here to stay.

Live2D has a small chance of staying, depending on if IS thought the gamble paid off/was worth the effort. They wanted to do so much more with it.

I'll throw a fit if they use live2d for supports, which is something they wanted. The portraits are so charming and have personality. Live2d? Not so much. Portraits convey personality way more than any of these live2d models do. It would be sad to see them go after just one game, but I don't want them to replace portraits at all.

I'll throw a fit if they use live2d for supports, which is something they wanted. The portraits are so charming and have personality. Live2d? Not so much. Portraits convey personality way more than any of these live2d models do. It would be sad to see them go after just one game, but I don't want them to replace portraits at all.

I completely agree. Having the model bob around awkwardly in supports would be less than ideal, and I hope if marriage returns they'll go back to confession stills. If they go back to Live2D, I can only see them using it for something along the lines of skinship/ conversations, but I'm not even sure that will return given its reception.