One good thing, one bad thing in every pokemon generation you've played

Nobody

Tne bad guys being "bunch of degenerate and incompetent morons".

It is but Team Flare is without question the ones who do it worse, they just feel there, their attitude is obnoxious, they look ridiculous with those uniforms, they are veeeery different from their leader when it comes to the plan, and they don't even do much (Ultimate weapon was AZ's creation not theirs) and above all, they are not intimidating

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gen 1 - Good: Well, they're fun to play, even if they're a bit dated.

Bad: Muk is my least favorite Pokemon ever. I don't care if it's useful, it's literally just a bigger Grimer. In fact, I'll just say the less creative designs in general are my least favorite part. Even I don't like Gen 6's lower Pokemon roster, but hey, quality over quantity, right?

Gen 2 - Good: Genders, the day and night system, the Pokegear, in-battle Pokemon animations... Oh wait, I can only list one thing? Oops, sorry.

Bad: Tough to think of, I'd say Whirlpool being an HM is the worst thing for me. Whirlpool's pretty useless as a move.

Gen 3 - Good: Pokemon XD and Colosseum did a pretty good job of doing something new with the series and I would totally support a sequel on the 3DS or Wii U. But then again, that will never happen.

Bad: The trade restrictions. Was it necessary to require you to beat the game to trade with other Gen 3 games?

Gen 4 - Good: HeartGold and SoulSilver. Now that is how you do a remake. Take what was good about the original, streamline it, and add some new features and content that either adds on to the existing content or doesn't intrude too terribly.

Bad: Saving a lot of data...

Gen 5 - Good: Their attempt at telling a deeper story went very well. It threw some unexpected curve balls and gave us some well-developed characters.

Bad: Did we really need an event to get Zorua and Zoroark in Black and White? It was better in Black 2 and White 2, but I was a little annoyed I couldn't nickname it.

Gen 6 - Good: OH MY GOD THEY STREAMLINED EVERYTHING PERFECTLY! EV Training isn't a pain to do, Wonder Trade's a fun way to complete the Pokedex or get rid of crappy catches, you can change abilities if you don't like them, gameplay-wise, these are the best Pokemon games to date.

Bad: X and Y was underwhelming in comparison to Black and White story- and character-wise. The rivals are all pretty flat, the evil team's admins are just kinda there and you never see them all in the same room, AZ popped up like three times and could've been elaborated on more, Lysandre could've been better-developed, and Diantha had no personality other than "I'm a celebrity, let's have a Pokemon battle sometime." I could go on, but in the end, I honestly still like X and Y, just... Play it for the gameplay, not the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Gen I

Pro: Started it all.

Con: It plays like shit and has aged horribly as a result.

Gen II

Pro: Expands on the Pokemon universe in a creative way that includes a lot of fanservice.

Con: Most of the new pokemon introduced are bland and/or bad competitively.

Gen III

Pro: R U N N I N G

Con: A large portion of the region is completely blue with only wingull/pelipper and tentacool/cruel in the wild.

Gen IV

Pro: Brought about the Golden Age of competitive Pokemon play.

Con: Lots of awful designs.

Gen V

Pro: A very admirable attempt at creating an interesting plot.

Con: "HEY LOOK! We brought back the overworld pokemon sprites from HGSS and even added in more sprites to include all of the Gen V pokemon! What's that? Are we bringing back the pokemon following behind you feature? Of course pokemon can't follow you around, you fucking idiot. You imbecile."

Gen VI

Pro: Best designs in the series.

Con: The game doesn't pick up until the 7th gym and then there's absolutely fucking nothing to do except breed. Hope you like your 8 hours of game that cost you 40 bucks.

Overall ranking:

V > IV > III > VI > II > I

Gen I was the first game that I played, but Gen II and III are my pure nostalgia (over 350 hours logged on both of them). B2W2 are the best games in the series, with HGSS a very close second (300 hours and 250 hours logged, respectively).

Edited by Reject

Con: Most of the new pokemon introduced are bland and/or bad competitively.

'Cept Feraligatr, Scizor, Heracross, Skarmory, Azumarill, Tyranitar, Crobat, Gligar, Blissey, Espeon, Umbreon, Donphan, Kingdra, Celebi, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Porygon 2, Forretress, and Hitmontop if you include double battles... and possibly Ampharos if you want to count megas. I'm also tempted to count Houndoom and Slowking.

Admittedly, my definition of competitively good might differ, but I think most of these 'mons are at least UU tier currently.

Edited by Shuuda

'Cept Feraligatr, Scizor, Heracross, Skarmory, Azumarill, Tyranitar, Crobat, Gligar, Blissey, Espeon, Umbreon, Donphan, Kingdra, Celebi, Suicune, Raikou, Entei, Porygon 2, Forretress, and Hitmontop if you include double battles... and possibly Ampharos if you want to count megas. I'm also tempted to count Houndoom and Slowking.

Admittedly, my definition of competitively good might differ, but I think most of these 'mons are at least UU tier currently.

Furret, Qwilfish, Shuckle, Meganium, Typhlosion, Stantler, Ursaring, Sunflora, Noctowl, Ariados, Dunsparce, Steelix, Jumpluff, Bellossom, Sudowoodo, Miltank, Smeargle, Xatu, Octillery, Lanturn, Delibird, Magcargo, Misdreavus/Mismagius, and Mantine are trash this gen (and many of these have been trash since they were introduced).

Espeon and Donphan aren't very good anymore, being outclassed by a ton of pokemon in UU. Blissey is outclassed by Chansey, but yeah, she's still good.

Entei is only great now (though he was always decent) because of Sacred Fire. Suicune has a gimmick in Crocune. Kingdra is only scary when he's turned into a Crit Machine.

Slowking and Houndoom could go either way, tbh. I'm tempted to say Houndoom doesn't because you could use your Mega slot for MUCH better pokemon. Slowking is the K I N G of RU and does pretty alright in UU, though.

But anyway, I said "most." Not all. I'm not even counting Little Cup, which only Chinchou, Houndour, Aipom, and Elekid are super viable, and I still listed more than you.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention Girafarig and Wobbuffet.

Edited by Reject

A statement that applies to every generation.

It's significantly more disproportionate in Gen II than in any other generation.

Also forgot to mention Unown and Corsola.

I'm a tryhard so this will mostly apply to competitive whatnot

Gen 1

+Normal types are generally viable

-Stupid game mechanics like speed giving more crit or freeze equaling death

Gen 2

+Steel and Dark are pretty neat types and give Psychic types a legit weakness

-The meta is based on stalling. snooooore.

Gen 3

+Natures and Abilities allowed for more versatile teams

-I'll get back to you on this

Gen 4

+Physical/Special split in moves made more Pokemon viable. Hazards are also neat

-So... much... priority...

Gen 5

+Hidden Abilities are a pain to get but they make more Pokemon viable

-WEATHER TEAMS EVERYWHERE

Gen 6

+IV training and getting Hidden Abilities are sooooo much easier

-Mega-Evo's are as horribly imbalanced as all the other Pokemon, ranging from broken (M-Salamence) to worthless (M-Audino)

-Mega-Evo's are as horribly imbalanced as all the other Pokemon, ranging from broken (M-Salamence) to worthless (M-Audino)

Don't forget Mega Rayquaza, the 'mon that literally shredded Ubers apart and is so powerful that the only way you're allowed to use it is in a metagame where there are essentially no rules.

I have no idea what the fuck GF is doing anymore.

• 1 month later...

Gen 1

Like: The game that began it all.

Dislike: No running shoes. Felt so tedious and I loved the remakes because of this small detail.

Gen 2

Like: Kanto and Johto. 16 Gym leaders.

Dislike: No safari zone.

Gen 3

Like: The Pokemon were nice and Gym leaders were pretty cool.

Dislike: I hate how there was little variety in the beginning of the game. It was really HM reliant. Dive felt forced and there was nothing interesting about it.

Gen 4

Like: Physical/Special split made it fun

Dislike: Team Galatic was so boring. Oh look a pokemon you could've already evolved and given me more exp but nope keep it as a cascoon.

Gen 6

Like: The overall look was great. Being able to customize your character was so fun like it gave you your own identity. Shauna romance.

Dislike: Too damn easy. No good postgame. Enemies were so bland. "We'll win, with fashion." Doesn't help when you can tell who the villain is by just looking at him. Aside from Shauna the other characters were bland.

Gen1

+ Best gym leader music, Liked the game enough to hunch over the Adaptor to recharge batteries. Pokémon Snap and Stadium's R2 were amazing. Cloned mewtwo by accident while trading with low battery. I sang the jigglypuff lullaby out loud for years.

-Worthless competitively. (Normal:Rock:Psychic triangle with brief appearances of water/electric) I lived in the one neighborhood in the world where Yu-Gi-oH was more popular and had hard time finding people to play with.

Gen2

+Pokémon Puzzle League is almost as good as puyo puyo fever. Last pokedex I ever completed.

- Finding the interesting pokemon to catch became annoying due to swarm events, and some stuff limited to one patch of grass on a single route. Pokémon Stadium 2 was more gimmicky and the Storage box created my first bad egg. I quarantined every Pokémon in that box forever and stuck to cable trading afterwards.

Gen3

+Really fun to mess around with in occasional competitive tournaments. SD Venasaur + Rhydon is the funniest core ever.

- Didn't actually like the GameCube RPGs all that much. Or tower of druaga mystery dungeon. Made me give up on the anime. Never found bagon.

Gen4

+ Most diverse competitively, Favorite sprites. Met lots of awesome people.

-Trozei has nothing on Pokémon Puzzle League/Tetris attack/ Panel de Pon. The HGSS girl trainer's overalls are definitely not her size.

Gen5

+ Led to my discovery of mafia/werewolf. I got to vote on suspect tests.

- New additions led many people to forget how to use their imagination. Stopped buying the RPG games. My highest winrate ever.

Gen6

+ Fun to play again. Nothing makes me angrier than easy wins.

- Defog removes hazards. Megas for already good pokemon are insulting. Some megas don't do enough. Pokémon look too shiny and are probably covered in Vaseline. Fire looks awful. Suspect Tests aren't special anymore. Expectation of what people should be able to play around is lower.(Although this reflects the forum/theory wars more than who you actually fight)

Gen 1:

+Fun, exploitable bugs. Fairly wide variety of Pokemon to encounter for what this game is. Very non-linear gyms in the midgame.

-Imbalanced as all hell, most movepools are trash so the Pokemon with good ones are ridiculous. The only game with a possibility of being truly unwinnable. Tiny bag and non automatic box changes leading to insane amounts of needed micromanagement with no way to tell at a glance if you needed to do it or not. HMs are permanent.

Gen 2:

+Two whole regions! Fixes up a large number of bugs from gen 1 as well. Introduction of day/night, breeding, seperate pockets for different items in the bag, and rebattle mechanics. The new moves in virtually every type mean that fighting and bug types are no longer nearly unusable. Also Silver is the best rival.

-Pretty bad HM bloat to explore the world, whirlpool probably being the worst of them. Cellphones constantly interrupt the flow of the game. Time based mechanics means there's a lot of waiting around to get certain things.

Gen 3:

+Beautiful tropical environment that really stands out from its predecessors, abilities make previously unviable Pokemon viable. Speedy game engine. FRLG games added new areas to RBY and are great remakes overall. In-game move relearner!!!!! Also the first time we have some method of confirming IVs in-game.

-Bland catch variety until the very late game due to the absense of large chunks of gen 1 and 2 Pokemon to give it a similar regional dex count to the previous games. Way too many zubat/tentacool/wingull/zigzagoon encounters. Gym leaders and Elite 4 in Ruby/Sapphire have terrible teams full of repeat Pokemon despite all the new Pokemon that have been added because of that. The music of FRLG seems a bit... messy? Compared to the originals.

Gen 4:

+Physical-special split for moves. HGSS is probably the best remake of a game I've ever played. DPP Poketch is the best bottom screen implementation IMO but HGSS's 3rd item shortcut button was good too. Large improvements in box management. GTS!!!!

-Diamond and Pearl engine is slooooooow but it was improved in Platinum and HGSS. DP is also way too heavy on water types. Most new Pokemon are also kinda ugly. Elite 4 ramped up significantly in difficulty.

Gen 5:

+Daring introduction of many new Pokemon and exploration of many unused type combos. N is my favourite antagonist. TMs become permanent items like HMs.

-Somewhat lackluster endgame. If you don't rush to Black City/White Forest all your residents may already have left. Extremely linear compared to predecessors. Gym leader and Elite 4 teams are a little too pared down to a formula.

Gen 6:

+Amazing Pokedex, constant opportunities to try out new Pokemon in your team. Character customization.

-Gen 5 homogenization of challenges continues. Some megas are just too good. Endgame is pretty much only Battle Tower now.

Gen 1:

+ the glitchiness

- not a big fan of many of the Pokemon

Gen 2:

+ i love a lot of the designs

- that level curve yo

Gen 3

+ hoenn looks really nice

- EV Training

Gen 4

+ CYNTHIA <3

- physical/special split

Gen 5

+ moving sprites

- linear gameplay

Gen 6

+ music

- too easy

Edited by Squid Lord Doof

Generation 1 Pro: Let's be honest, they're hilarious.

Generation 1 Con: No running shoes.

Generation 2 Pro: Dark and Steel types.

Generation 2 Con: There's like...2 new pokemon.

Generation 3 Pro: Like everything (Amazing region, tons of super cool pokemon, double battles). Sorry, I couldn't stick to just one.

Generation 3 Con: I guess there's backtracking...I don't know, this is difficult.

Generation 4 Pro: I actually like the game's pacing, it's a good balance of fighting the evil team and becoming the champion.

Generation 4 Con: that fucking snow route.

Generation 5 Pro: Too many to name, but I'll specifically mention the fresh feel of only being able to use Unova Pokemon until postgame. I think that's really cool.

Generation 5 Con: I guess linearity, but I didn't really mind it.

Generation 6 Pro: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Generation 6 Con: X and Y.

Gen 1: + There is no cover legendary you're forced to face. You're just a random kid who stops Team Rocket because they get in the way.

- Did not age well.

Gen 2: + 2 regions in one! What's not to love?

- No Safari Zone I guess?

Gen 3: + Drake constantly beating me. Felt amazing when I finally beat that Salamence. Rayquayquay.

- EV training was annoying.

Gen 4: + Physical/Special split, nice Pokemon.

- Slow as hell. Saving too much data. Defog as HM.

Gen 5: + BISHARP, Mei/Rosa, BISHARP, nice story, BISHARP, my favorite E4, the E4 theme, plenty more but more importantly BISHARP.

- Everything evolves so late.

Gen 6: + Made competitive battling easier to get into.

- Swept the champion with a Bisharp. (yes exp share was off) But even worse gave certain Pokemon megas when they could have given them a normal evolution to make them good instead of temporarily good.

And even worse than that, Tierno.

• 2 months later...

Gen1:

Good: Fearow, Poliwrath and the Champion theme

Bad: The shallow movepools and the terrible item system

Gen2:

Good: Sneasel, Porygon2, steel and dark types

Bad: Shallow movepools and the stupid egg mechanics

Gen3:

Good: Remakes, Mawile

Bad: Battle Frontier

Gen4:

Good: Everything. Especially Leafeon, Weavile and the special physical split

Bad: DP surf speed

Gen5:

Good: Dream World, the Elite 4, BW's story, Escavalier, Bianca, Fennel

Bad: Dream World is down

Gen6:

Good: Diancie, Trainer customization, Pokemon Amie, Super Training, Drasna

Bad: XY Seemed unfinished despite being neat

Gen 1:

Like: The Pokemon you can find at one time is surprisingly vast, and it makes the region feel a bit more alive. The region itself was also designed very well with easy access to everywhere.

Dislike: Not much to be honest. I started gen 3, and I'm certainly not a genwunner, but I personally don't see much wrong with gen 1 besides some a few Pokemon designs. Seriously, we got Muk over Godzilla and King Kong? (And no one gets the joke...)

Gen 2:

I actually haven't played much of original Gen 2. If it gets eshop released, I'll scoop it up.

Gen 3:

Like: Once again, the Pokemon are spread out very well, and theres always something new to find. I also particularly love how diverse the new mons were. Oh, and FRLG are very fun.

Dislike: Once again, not much. I think they made Brawly a bit too difficult for a second Gym Leader, considering theres nothing to counter it besides Sableye (which is version exclusive.) But it's nothing too crazy.

Gen 4:

Like: Ah, the nostalgia comes back! That's about 50% of the reason I like this gen though unfortunately. The other 49% is Pokemon designs! Sinnoh has an extremely large amount of great new Pokemon, and gives some Mons who needed evolutions... evolutions! The last 1% is probably the Lake Trio. I just like them a lot.

Dislike: Lets see... DPPt is WAY too slow, and DP needed at least one or two more Fire types. HGSS has an amazing main game, but the aftergame is WAY too grind-y.

Gen 5:

Like: I love the music, the Pokemon, the story, even the Ice Cream cones! I'm very much for this gen and it's honestly my favorite to play through.

Dislike: The region is a bit too linear. It needed more pathways to a destination, more side paths with little rewards, etc. And I can kinda see why people dislike Vanilish and Klink, even though I personally don't mind them.

Gen 6:

Like: The new Pokemon had both simple and complex designs, while still being very "Pokemon". The game overall looks great and has a great soundtrack as well.

Dislike: The EXP share was too broken. You could easily play through the game using a full team of six and they'd all be over leveled by the sixth gym with it on. However, if you turn it off, the game has a bit of a difficulty spike after battling Korrina in Geosenge town, which can make Nuzlockes a pain in the ass. Also, like Black and White, the region was once again a bit too linear. It was better, but not enough.

And on to my main point: Megas. I thought Megas were really cool before I started playing competitive. Once I did, they just turned into a nightmare. They pretty much ruined it. Everyone HAD to use a Mega. There's a reason OU No-Mega exists. Plus, on a smaller topic, in non-national dex VGC (aka 2013 and 2015), Mega Kangaskhan only had two counters; Aegislash and itself. The top team literally all had Mega Kangaskhan. Even in VGC 2014 and 2016, Mega Kang was still everywhere along with Mega Salamence. And don't even get me started on how fan-servicey some of them are. Charizard did NOT need two Megas, and neither did Mewtwo. Nor did ANY legendary need a Mega evolution or Primal. Also they made Camerupt worse which I just find hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, most Megas are actually done very well. But a good amount are either completely broken or completely unnecessary.

Oh also, yeah Gen 6 is way too easy overall. Even with the difficulty spike. And shinies should be back to 1/8192 instead of 1/4096 because 1/512 in Friend Safari to too easy.

Edited by TrueEm

• 4 weeks later...

Gen 1:

+ Started the series

- Aged extremely poorly

Gen 2:

+ Special Attack/Special Defense split

- Shinies and genders being tied to IVs

Gen 3:

+ Hoenn was a great region

- Both villainous teams had pretty nonsensical goals

Gen 4:

+Physical/Special split

-Diamond and Pearl were agonizingly slow

Gen 5:

+The story

- Some of the Pokemon weren't the greatest

Gen 6:

+Mega Evolution

- The pacing was all over the place

Edited by Crystalized Silver

• 1 month later...

Ignoring the roster of pokemon, as I argue that has such personal bias in it as to be a problem.

Gen 1

+ The game's surprisingly open ended after you get Cut and you can really go around the region and for example do the minimum to get to Cinnibar. Would love to see this more in future, but it leaves level to be worrying.

- How broken it is. Psychic has a big advantage, it's buggy to the point that it would have been months of patching worth nowadays, and irregardless of your thoughts on those lovely exploits there are still so many ways to destroy it.

Gen 2

+ The region itself. Jhoto's my favourite region, simple as.

- Really, how shallow the post game is. HGSS is better on this, and with these among my favourite titles, I admit it's tough to think of what I really dislike.

Gen 3

+ Abilites, which while not universally perfect really helped deepen the gameplay.

- A lot of its issues are because I played Gen 4 first, and much gets appreciated from there instead. The wrecking of the in game clock is one negative across the board (Not going to say too much water because of FRLG. Or my dislike for Maqua for the same reason)

Gen 4

+ Lovely postgame is true for all the titles in this gen. I could also add Physical Special split to this but.. I'll stop or else I'll just have a paragraph of love for Gen 4.

- Speed of battles, mostly in DP though.

Gen 5

+ Version differences are still the best done here in this gen and affect the maps of these games the best. Prefer most of the stuff in White versions though.

- Very linear, and the map design suffers for it.

Gen 6

+ Honestly, ease of EXP gain. I never had the chance to use as many pokemon in one playthrough before Gen 6. Yes, I'm defending the op exp share.

- The plot of XY really disappointed. I'm going to go with this one, as I could complain about linearity again otherwise. Also, remakes had Maqua without Emerald, so that's covering this gen entirely.

Gen 6:

+ Meta is diverse

+ Mega Evo is fun

- People is good at using Stall now

- FUCK THUNDER WAVE

- Whoever decided Mega with damage ability is a good idea need to be shot. I don't care even if stuff like Mega Beedrill sucks. Its the single most badly designed pokemon to ever exist

Blastoise is basically the only Broken as fuck Mega evolution that ended up fine and its entirely caused by its speed.

Edited by JSND

In most recent playthroughs:

Gen I:

Streamlined number of Pokemon and features makes it best and probably easiest to completely clear, all things considered (no unobtainable Mythical Pokemon here!)

BUT

Time-consuming (Rocket Bases were easy but daunting in length, 9999 token Porygon for my version, lotta backtracking)

Gen II:

Favorite mythology, starters, Gym Leaders, and many favorite Pokemon overall

BUT

Rival is boring, except in his backstory (which I believe is only implied in Gen II), Entei ran away, worst villain group.

Gen III:

More good mythology, starters are cool, side characters are better-developed.

BUT

Felt a little bland overall.

Gen IV:

More good Gym Leaders, good villain group, starters are alright (if a little lackluster).

BUT

Starts out sluggish and goes too quickly in the end, least interesting rival.

Gen V:

Favorite plot and villain group, N might be my favorite character in the franchise, and of course Skyla. :wub:

BUT

No good starters stand out, good Pokemon designs are outnumbered by less interesting ones (looking at you, Cryogonal).

As for Gen VI, haven't played it, but looks like it has many things I liked from earlier Gens mixed in with what I liked from newer ones. Gen VII looks like it could be absolutely great, just fine, or somewhere in between.

Gen 1

Pro: EXPLOITABLE GLITCHES YES.

Con: Enemy Pokemon had no PP limit. They could literally spam the same move FOREVER.

Gen 2

Pro: Only games to include two separate regions.

Con: Due to data limits, Kanto's dungeons were severely reduced.

Gen 3 (Only including R/S here)

Pro: The overworld was very vast and fun to explore.

Con: They removed quite a bit of the older Pokemon from being catchable simply for marketing the next few games. :/

Gen 4 (Only including D/P/Pl here)

Pro: Underground bases~

Con: In D/P there are only 2 fire types in the whole freaking game. :/

Gen 5

Pro: BW2 had some really fun features, including the movies and Avenue

Con: The world was very linear with little optional exploration areas, and it honestly felt like I was needing to fight a gym leader every five minutes because there was so little to do between towns, and the game roadblocked you.

Gen 6

Pro: POKEMON AMIE~

Con: SPAR. Stupid, Pointless and Annoying Rivals. (Yes, that includes May/Brendon for their additional but pointless dialogues added to the game.)

• 3 weeks later...

Gen 1:

+ It started the franchise in the first place.

- The psychic types were quite overpowered for the most part

Gen 3:

+ Rayquaza. One of my favourite legendary pokemon.

- The invisible Kecleon were quite annoying.

Gen 4:

+ My favourite of the pokemon league champions; especially when one considers that she, unlike the others, was actually involved in the story.

- I disliked the mechanic where Cresselia and one of the lake legendaries (Mespirit I think its name was) kept fleeing making trying to catch them just annoying.

Gen 6:

+ Honedge. I always wanted there to be a pokemon that was either a swordsman or a sword (Gallade doesn't count in this case as I mean an actual metal sword).

- Not a lot of new pokemon I found particularly interesting. A lot of them were gen 5 pokemon (and one can guess from gen 5 not being on my list that I never played gen 5).

I disliked the mechanic where Cresselia and one of the lake legendaries (Mespirit I think its name was) kept fleeing making trying to catch them just annoying.

This is hardly exclusive to Sinnoh. Entei/Raikou/Suicune in Gen II (who are also arguably harder to grab than either Mesprit or Cresselia, as they can be lost forever and can still end battles if they use Roar even after Mean Look), Latias/os in Gen III, and Tornadus/Thunderus in Gen V. Edited by Glaceon Mage