• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

I’m currently in progress of a Conquest playthrough (on Ch. 25 out of 28) after finishing Birthright, after finishing Awakening.

I’m also in progress of a Gaiden playthrough. Yep, the original one. It’s cute.

How was the Super Saiyan mercenary you encountered?

2 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

How was the Super Saiyan mercenary you encountered?

I failed to get enough XP to promote Kliff beforehand, so I had to rely on Silque of all people for magic damage. And she delivered, because of course she did. Literal coin toss, and she won jackpot.

4 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

Don't know if it's been said, but someone on Reddit stumbled upon Nintendo's patent for FEH's gacha system.

More deatils from the USPTO: 

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1="15%2F695,166"&OS="15/695,166"&RS="15/695,166"

Co-director Shingo Matsushita is credited for the gacha system.

I think I need a summary of a summary of that. 

6 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Echoes had bad map design. That's the common opinion. Everything else was either okay or great

I think could accept that more than a bad or unlogical plot and character development. 

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I’m currently in progress of a Conquest playthrough (on Ch. 25 out of 28) after finishing Birthright, after finishing Awakening. 

How do you like it so far in comparison to the other two?

18 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

@Humanoid interesting! What didn't like in Echoes? I'm still not sure if to play Echoes or Fates after Awakening. 

Echoes is a faithful remake of a 25 year old game. That, in short, is its problem.

It's not to say it gets nothing right. It's a very well-presented game, with very nice art, and the full voice acting helps a fair bit too. But where it fails is in the core gameplay. Gameplay design has moved forward a lot since then, and Echoes fails to take advantage of any of that. The maps are reproduced exactly as they were originally and tend to devolve into a spammy hell with infinite enemy reinforcements. There are a few new bits and bobs added to the game, but it's generally meaningless fluff that doesn't add anything of value. I mean, they could have added any gameplay element to improve on an old game and they go with a Myst-lite pixel hunt on static screens. Really?

I see praise for the writing, but I can't agree on that either. Superficially it's fine and it probably gets away with a fair bit because of its polished presentation. But look below the surface and it's on shaky ground, beginning right from the prologue.

They have to ship kid Celica away because they were found, but Mycen and Alm can go back as if nothing happened and still totally live in the same village for the next 10 years with no one hassling them about that fugitive they were hiding. Riiight.

The characters, for what it's worth, are a mixed bag, but clearly better than Fates and I give it a pass in that regard. I will single out Celica who I ended up not particularly liking, not because she's badly written - indeed I know a few people who would behave similarly in real life - but that I don't like that type of personality in the first place.

Edited by Humanoid

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I think could accept that more than a bad or unlogical plot and character development. 

SoV’s plot isn’t that good, sadly, and character development went wrong direction if you are a woman.

Conquest has many annoying chapters, but hey, the AI doesn’t attack if it will tink. And it has Beruka. Birthright is quite straightforward and has Oboro.

Awakening is fun too. And it has Miriel.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

The maps are reproduced exactly as they were originally and tend to devolve into a spammy hell with infinite enemy reinforcements.

There were reinforcements? 

@mampfoid The general consensus, to the best of my knowledge, is that Fates story is bad, but the gameplay (mostly Conquest) is great. I haven’t read up too much on what people think of SoV, though.

My opinion is that CQ > SoV, but I’m in FE mostly for the gameplay (I can overlook a meh or bad story pretty easily), and I did have plenty of fun with the latter. You should play SoV at some point just to see Faye as she was before Heroes wrecked her.

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Cantors, I think is what he’s referring to.

Edited by LordFrigid

1 minute ago, LordFrigid said:

Cantors, I think is what he’s referring to.

These are annoying as fuck, sure, but still technically aren’t reinforcements, because you can do the same with Silque and Genny.

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Infinite summons, same net effect. Nuibaba's map in particular left me with PTSD. The respawning encounters on the world map were way over the top too.

Granted, some of it is my fault, I went with the Hard difficulty instead of Normal which I'd done for all other FE games so far. But it feels to me that it was mostly difficulty by tedium given the simplistic game mechanics.

EDIT: Enemy cantors are dirty cheats because they're planted on healing tiles so they negate the whole "spells cost HP" mechanic. Ugh.

Edited by Humanoid

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

and they go with a Myst-lite pixel hunt on static screens. Really?

Ugh, that's something I'm not looking forward to. I'm disliking for example the mini-games in Final Fantasy 7 (Golden saucer). 

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

SoV’s plot isn’t that good, sadly, and character development went wrong direction if you are a woman.

Conquest has many annoying chapters, but hey, the AI doesn’t attack if it will tink. And it has Beruka. Birthright is quite straightforward and has Oboro.

Awakening is fun too. And it has Miriel.

Hmm, I wonder if there is a FE title with a good plot at all?

Uh, I didn't play Miriel in Awakening yet. 

Beruka and Oboro are good in Fates?

4 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

@mampfoid The general consensus, to the best of my knowledge, is that Fates story is bad, but the gameplay (mostly Conquest) is great. I haven’t read up too much on what people think of SoV, though.

My opinion is that CQ > SoV, but I did have plenty of fun with the latter. You should play SoV at some point just to see Faye as she was before Heroes wrecked her.

Too bad about Fates' story, from what I saw of the characters in Heroes there was a lot of potential. 

I'll play both. Perhaps I'll start with Echoes, since it seems of generally smaller size? 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

Beruka is overshadowed by Camilla, but is still decent.  Oboro is okay, but has some good growths for many kids, if I remember correctly.

23 minutes ago, ShadowGuy1 said:

This FEH channel will be interesting. It is the same length as the 2.0 FEH channel, but I don't think it will be nearly as big. The only thing I know for sure we will get will be Thracia. 

Could be Thracia. But the banner after that is also a regular banner according to the pattern IS has been following. So it could be late April as well. Kinda doubt that, but... Consider it

21 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I think I need a summary of a summary of that. 

Me too. Kek. So convoluted. But it might explain how units are chosen for each orb during the summoning session

Plot is okay, but still miles ahead of the other 3DS FE games. Because there's full voice acting, dialogue feels more life-like and you're bound to like a lot of characters. Also, the battle animations are great. Also, archers were the best out of every of FE game because of their increased range and ability to counterattack.

Birthright is considered by many to be the weaker link of the two physical copy Fates games. Mostly "route the enemy" maps while Conquest had a bunch of good maps (though it also had it's flaws). Birthright is considered the easier one because of being able to grind, enemies don't have skills as well as phoenix mode (which is completely ridiculous). Conquest is like a classic FE game in terms of progression (you can only fight in story chapters, meaning EXP is limited as well as gold). If you want to get any children units, you can always rely on castle battles to raise supports. If a parent is already promoted then the child will come with a master seal, ensuring their usefulness in Conquest.

15 minutes ago, FrostyFireMage said:

Heyo I need some more friends

sure

9 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Infinite summons, same net effect. Nuibaba's map in particular left me with PTSD. The respawning encounters on the world map were way over the top too.

Granted, some of it is my fault, I went with the Hard difficulty instead of Normal which I'd done for all other FE games so far. But it feels to me that it was mostly difficulty by tedium given the simplistic game mechanics.

Use dread fighters. Their skill halves Nuibaba's attack. If she would deal 34 damage to reduce your health to 1 then the dread fighter halves that to 17

Edited by silveraura25

8 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Ugh, that's something I'm not looking forward to. I'm disliking for example the mini-games in Final Fantasy 7 (Golden saucer). 

Hmm, I wonder if there is a FE title with a good plot at all?

Uh, I didn't play Miriel in Awakening yet. 

Too bad about Fates' story, from what I saw of the characters in Heroes there was a lot of potential. 

I'll play both. Perhaps I'll start with Echoes, since it seems of generally smaller size? 

To be fair, the pixel hunt minigame is pretty much just for additional loot. You win a map and then visit the location, pick up an extra steel lance, a piece of bread and an orange or whatever. Of course, it could also be a unique weapon...

I reckon one route of Fates is smaller than Echoes which has a lot of padding (like the constantly respawning moving enemies on the world map). Extra encounters in Fates are fully optional, you don't play any unless you explicitly select them from the menu. As a third option, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for Blazing Sword instead if you want to try something different.

EDIT: Forgot about child grinding in Fates though. If you want to pair everyone up and get all the kids, then it adds a lot of time to the playthrough.

Edited by Humanoid

Just now, LordFrigid said:

That's not what determines whether or not they come with an offspring seal.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Offspring_Seal

Aaaa. I got them around after that in Birthright. Thanks for clearing it up. I'd edit my post, but it won't let me

1 minute ago, LordFrigid said:

That's not what determines whether or not they come with an offspring seal.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Offspring_Seal

Shiro's map still haunts me. And I was playing Birthright Normal. Level scaled enemies are horrendous when NPC allies are effectively level capped. I get that the branching promotion system means they be assigned a promoted class, but it results in some utterly silly fights.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Beruka is overshadowed by Camilla, but is still decent.  Oboro is okay, but has some good growths for many kids, if I remember correctly.

On my first run I won't optimize anyway. It's just good to know that likable characters are also good gameplay-wise. 

7 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Birthright is considered by many to be the weaker link of the two physical copy Fates games. Mostly "route the enemy" maps while Conquest had a bunch of good maps (though it also had it's flaws). Birthright is considered the easier one because of being able to grind, enemies don't have skills as well as phoenix mode (which is completely ridiculous). Conquest is like a classic FE game in terms of progression (you can only fight in story chapters, meaning EXP is limited as well as gold). If you want to get any children units, you can always rely on castle battles to raise supports. If a parent is already promoted then the child will come with a master seal, ensuring their usefulness in Conquest.

That's another point against Fates: I would have to decide between birthright and conquest, while I like most of both families royals. I'm not too much into this breeding/child thing, even in Awakening I'm still not used to it. 

7 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

To be fair, the pixel hunt minigame is pretty much just for additional loot. You win a map and then visit the location, pick up an extra steel lance, a piece of bread and an orange or whatever. Of course, it could also be a unique weapon...

I reckon one route of Fates is smaller than Echoes which has a lot of padding (like the constantly respawning moving enemies on the world map). Extra encounters in Fates are fully optional, you don't play any unless you explicitly select them from the menu. As a third option, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for Blazing Sword instead if you want to try something different.

Optional/unique loot triggers the completion sense, hard to fight for me. 

Blazing Sword isn't 3DS? I won't buy other hardware. 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

That's another point against Fates: I would have to decide between birthright and conquest, while I like most of both families royals. I'm not too much into this breeding/child thing, even in Awakening I'm still not used to it. 

There's the Special Edition, which has all 3 on the same cartridge...but you'd have to find one. It originally sold alongside an art book and maybe some other fancy things for $80 (USD), but people basically bought a bunch of them and started selling them at stupidly inflated prices.

I lucked out and got a used copy (cartridge only) at a GameStop for about $65 (USD), though I did have to arrange for it to be transferred from one store to another (no way am I driving 8 hours to and from a store =P ).

2 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Blazing Sword isn't 3DS? I won't buy other hardware. 

It's GBA, I think.

6 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Shiro's map still haunts me. And I was playing Birthright Normal. Level scaled enemies are horrendous when NPC allies are effectively level capped. I get that the branching promotion system means they be assigned a promoted class, but it results in some utterly silly fights.

I haven't actually played BR (I believe I got midway through Ch. 7, and said to myself: "...I could be playing Conquest right now" and deleted the file), but I did get that Paralogue in a Rev playthrough, and yeah. That was annoying. I think I ended up using a Rescue staff to get a flier close enough to fly Ryoma up to Shiro to talk to him on T1/2.

@mampfoidYeah, GBA but available on Wii U Virtual Console. It's crazy to me that neither it or Sacred Stones are available on 3DS virtual console - or rather, Sacred Stones is available but only if you bought a 3DS on launch, before the price drop. Absolutely no business sense. I ended up buying them on Wii U, but played the former via ...alternate means. (Also bought Shadow Dragon but yet to play it, since opinions on it are pretty meh)

I would love to see an Awakeing Banner with Gregor, Mariabelle, and Sumia, my favorites from awakening not in the game yet. I would love it if Sumia was a dark Flyer using a tome, but they’ll probably do a Lance flyer.

But thinking of Dark Flyers made me think of the dark flier class Caeda can get in TMS. This in turn, now makes me want a Harrier Caeda, even though it’s probably impossible.

Edited by Poimagic

5 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Yeah, that’s GBA.

(Plenty emulatable)

GBA means ugly graphics and unmodern UI? I'm spoiled with Heroes now. 

It was strange I only found Shadow Dragon in the 2DS online store. 

@silveraura25 @Humanoid @LordFrigid

6 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

There's the Special Edition, which has all 3 on the same cartridge...but you'd have to find one. It originally sold alongside an art book and maybe some other fancy things for $80 (USD), but people basically bought a bunch of them and started selling them at stupidly inflated prices.

I don't have a problem buying the other two games in form of a DLC, it's just a matter of time. I didn't finish my first run of Awakening in 5 months.