What are things you're sick of seeing in FE?

Guest Dreamyboi

On 3/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, Armagon said:

I never had that problem. I mean, Python did suck but Archers were pretty good. Killer Bows are one of the best weapons in the game because of Hunter's Volley. Archer!Kliff is probably one of the best Archers in the series.

All the Villagers make good Archers, except Faye obviously (who ironically gets to be one in FEH- maybe they'll give her a Cleric or Peg variant later).

Gray- Has the highest Atk, and Hunter's Volley doesn't care about Spd.

Tobin- Has the highest Skl, and Bows are inaccurate.

Atlas- Gray but even more Atk.

Kliff- The fastest, and the most durable- in case you want an Archer who can tank melee hits for some reason. However, his Spd if used as an exclusively player phase unit, is only really relevant if you're opting not to use Hunter's Volley and instead use a different Bow to attack. This is good if you opt to spend the Silver on something other than a Killer, or have enough Silver for only 1 Killer and give that to Python so Kliff has to settle for something else. However, only the Radiant Bow is anywhere as good purely as an offensive weapon compared to the Killer Bow. The Longbow is amazing with Encloser, but not for damage's sake and it can't double, Parthia has super range and can't double, the Blessed Bow is only as good vs. Terrors, the Silver is largely inferior to the Longbow, the Iron and Steel are pure economical, and Luna is just to assure hits hit.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:19 PM, DragonFlames said:

I also enjoy Archers in Echoes, but I think Bow Knights having excellent movement ON TOP of insane range was a bit overkill, honestly.

I think the massive range also severely restricted SoV's potential to have chokepoints for whatever they're worth. Being able to hit four spaces behind the front and being able to attack a choke holder from tens of different locations did that.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dreamyboi
4 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

While I can't speak for everyone out there, I think usually when it comes to female lords and their flaws it usually feels somewhat forced into the narrative. Like I have yet to play radiant dawn so I can't speak for micaiah but when it comes to celica and erika a lot of the time when their punished for their flaws it damsels them to some degree and it makes them look like complete idiots or just insultingly naive. Idk it just feels unnecessary and forced a lot of the time and then their male counterpart has to save them woopdiedoo! 

Not sure about Eirika because I haven't played SS and don't plan to any time soon but Celica's problem was less how she was written and more how everything around her was written. 

1. They kept the bit in Gaiden where she accuses Alm of wanting the Rigelian throne for no reason.

2. They kept Jedah's design obviously evil looking.

3. They made Jedah's dialogue a little too obviously evil.

Factor in all this and it's no surprise people see her as a dumbass, honestly I'm fine with Celica.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think the massive range also severely restricted SoV's potential to have chokepoints for whatever they're worth. Being able to hit four spaces behind the front and being able to attack a choke holder from tens of different locations did that.

Agreed, though it isn't like SoV had that many chokepoints to begin with.

Also, the insane Bow Knight range is probably one of only two things keeping Leon from becoming completely useless during the Whitewing Show Act 4, the other being dealing effective damage to Necrodragons and Mogalls without Seraphim or Blessed weapons.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

All the Villagers make good Archers, except Faye obviously (who ironically gets to be one in FEH- maybe they'll give her a Cleric or Peg variant later).

Gray- Has the highest Atk, and Hunter's Volley doesn't care about Spd.

Tobin- Has the highest Skl, and Bows are inaccurate.

Atlas- Gray but even more Atk.

Kliff- The fastest, and the most durable- in case you want an Archer who can tank melee hits for some reason. However, his Spd if used as an exclusively player phase unit, is only really relevant if you're opting not to use Hunter's Volley and instead use a different Bow to attack. This is good if you opt to spend the Silver on something other than a Killer, or have enough Silver for only 1 Killer and give that to Python so Kliff has to settle for something else. However, only the Radiant Bow is anywhere as good purely as an offensive weapon compared to the Killer Bow. The Longbow is amazing with Encloser, but not for damage's sake and it can't double, Parthia has super range and can't double, the Blessed Bow is only as good vs. Terrors, the Silver is largely inferior to the Longbow, the Iron and Steel are pure economical, and Luna is just to assure hits hit.

I always tend to make Gray into an Archer for this reason, since I mainly use Archers to do chip damage from a safe distance or emergency kills, so him having a consistently high damage output really helps, since he can also do significant - and most importantly safe - damage to Witches and Arcanists, who pose a threat to all other close-range units.
I just wished bows were a little more accurate sometimes, but that's what support bonuses are for, I guess.

I think people just like to complain about Fire Emblem protagonists in general, with no inherent sexism involved. I think the only one that's universally praised is Leif, and that probably comes down more to his game being rage quit material more so than it being protagonist focused (so like OG Gaiden, less people had actually played about it to warrant a sizeable complaining fanbase).

To be fair, Ike has gotten a lot more criticism over the last year or so while Micaiah has gotten a lot more support. At least I've gotten that impression because I haven't seen anyone call Micaiah a Mary Sue since I've finished RD half a year ago.

37 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

To be fair, Ike has gotten a lot more criticism over the last year or so while Micaiah has gotten a lot more support. At least I've gotten that impression because I haven't seen anyone call Micaiah a Mary Sue since I've finished RD half a year ago.

I still despise her as a character, though.  Whether she's a Sue can be argued, but there's way too many things going on with her.

Not something I'm sick of as it makes sense from a gameplay perspective, but I'd actually like to see a twist on the fact the lord is always young and inexperienced.

Maybe an older lord that's past his prime and rusty on battle having to deal with enemies that believe they have the edge on him because of his age.
Almost a lord that is the Oifey/Jagen of his own game in that he starts off with more combat experience, but no longer has youth on his side.

That said I'd like him to be usable by endgame, so they'd have to find a way to make it work.

8 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Not something I'm sick of as it makes sense from a gameplay perspective, but I'd actually like to see a twist on the fact the lord is always young and inexperienced.

Maybe an older lord that's past his prime and rusty on battle having to deal with enemies that believe they have the edge on him because of his age.
Almost a lord that is the Oifey/Jagen of his own game in that he starts off with more combat experience, but no longer has youth on his side.

That said I'd like him to be usable by endgame, so they'd have to find a way to make it work.

Well Oifey's tend to have good growth rates as opposed to pure Jagens, so maybe go with that? 

Though then you run into the issue of him being OP since he'll have amazing base s for the start, and will also have a promotion (as most lords do, making him even more powerful, along with the right Growth rates that allow him to continue to be usable.

28 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Amazing prf weapon that makes him great regardless of stats. Worked for Roy and Julia.

Edited by Jotari

20 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Well Oifey's tend to have good growth rates as opposed to pure Jagens, so maybe go with that? 

Though then you run into the issue of him being OP since he'll have amazing base s for the start, and will also have a promotion (as most lords do, making him even more powerful, along with the right Growth rates that allow him to continue to be usable.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Amazing prf weapon that makes him great regardless of stats. Worked for Roy and Julia.

I believe we have a solution. Just put his personal weapon late enough in the game that it's after he's fell behind a bit. Even traditional Jagen growth rates would work with that.

5 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

I believe we have a solution. Just put his personal weapon late enough in the game that it's after he's fell behind a bit. Even traditional Jagen growth rates would work with that.

This weapon would have to be stupidly powerful to make up for the horrible Jagen growths.

2 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

This weapon would have to be stupidly powerful to make up for the horrible Jagen growths.

Or the promotion could come with some set benchmarks like Echoes promotions at a set point in the game, to partially help balance it. Whole idea is tricky, but if one could work out the execution perfectly, it'd be amazing.

4 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

We've done stupid powerful before. Just look at Jugdral. Or as I also cited, the Binding Blade. Another example would be Marth's Falchion in the original game, which made him outright immune to non dragon melee attacks.

As an alternative or additional solution, we could go back to the Capacity system for skills and give our hypothetical old grizzled protagonist a higher amount of skill capacity than normal, reflecting an aging body, but keen experience.

I'll have to agree, what's with the female lords being sidelined? Actually, even before that, why do the guys with more of the muscles and less of the brain get more of the publicity and/or Gary Stu-ness? At least Roy's leadership (and the praise Roy attracts) made actual logical sense because of: a) how much homework he did with the proverbial Sun Tzu's doctrine under Cecilia's tutelage; and b) how good leadership and good strategy are key drivers to any warfare.

2 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

I'll have to agree, what's with the female lords being sidelined? Actually, even before that, why do the guys with more of the muscles and less of the brain get more of the publicity and/or Gary Stu-ness? At least Roy's leadership (and the praise Roy attracts) made actual logical sense because of: a) how much homework he did with the proverbial Sun Tzu's doctrine under Cecilia's tutelage; and b) how good leadership and good strategy are key drivers to any warfare.

No offense but guys like Hector, Ephraim and Ike are all competent tacticians and solid leaders. Not seeing how Roy is so much better than these guys. Being smarter doesn't mean you're a better leader. Skrimir is a better leader than Soren, for example. 

13 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

No offense but guys like Hector, Ephraim and Ike are all competent tacticians and solid leaders. Not seeing how Roy is so much better than these guys. Being smarter doesn't mean you're a better leader. Skrimir is a better leader than Soren, for example. 

I'll give you Ike is a good tactician, even without Soren, but Ephraim's tactics all seem to be "Full frontal attack! It's so stupid, it's the last thing they'd expect!" Similarly I can't really recall Hector doing any strategy on his own. Though that's more down to his plot being about ambushes and assassinations rather than open war.

Yeah, there are a few things I'm sick of seeing.

- loli dragons
- Men that look like women
- Over the top fanservice and giant unnatural boobs
- All the avatar worship
- Blue haired sword prince lords
- Female lords getting overshadowed by the male ones
- Females that obsess over the male lord, but usually can't marry him

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'll give you Ike is a good tactician, even without Soren, but Ephraim's tactics all seem to be "Full frontal attack! It's so stupid, it's the last thing they'd expect!" Similarly I can't really recall Hector doing any strategy on his own. Though that's more down to his plot being about ambushes and assassinations rather than open war.

Most of Roy's tactics were the same. Seize the throne in all out assault. Each map in Binding Blade has you seize the throne. Would have loved more versatility and objective variety but alas. Hector is hyped to be a good tactician by Roy. NVM about Hector, I remember Roy claimed he was a good tactician but I guess the translation I was using was bad. 

47 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There's the bit in Laus where he manages to figure out Erik's plans just by observing the surroundings but otherwise yeah, while smarter then he looks Hector doesn't really display much strategical prowess in Blazing Blade. I think Hector learned all that long after the story when he had to lead Lycia. A man can learn a lot in 20 years. 

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

I mean, intelligence and leadership usually go hand in hand.

52 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Most of Roy's tactics were the same. Seize the throne in all out assault. Each map in Binding Blade has you seize the throne. Would have loved more versatility and objective variety but alas. Hector is hyped to be a good tactician by Roy. NVM about Hector, I remember Roy claimed he was a good tactician but I guess the translation I was using was bad. 

I mean, that's more of the gameplay's fault, really.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, intelligence and leadership usually go hand in hand.

I mean, that's more of the gameplay's fault, really.

My point was that being more intelligent doesn't mean you're a better leader or that the lesser intelligent characters are Gary Stus who don't deserve the spotlight unlike lords like Roy. 

Yeah but even in the story, that's his go to tactic. 

32 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

My point was that being more intelligent doesn't mean you're a better leader or that the lesser intelligent characters are Gary Stus who don't deserve the spotlight unlike lords like Roy. 

Yeah but even in the story, that's his go to tactic. 

Not really. Roy's main tactics involve prudence to avoid falling into traps, and relying on the help of allies to further strengthen his position. He knows he can't beat Bern at the start of the game, so he sets up a defensive base at castle Ostira to hold out until he can gain aid from Etrunia (not an actual chapter unfortunately) and one of his routes in the Western Isles involves teaming up with local rebels the gain success. He also manages to get the church on his side when retaking Etrunia in order to avoid putting the civilians at risk by fighting on the streets. He also seems to have a better information gathering network than typical lords, with a  lot of information coming from locals, like the aforementioned Western Isle split and learning about Ain being a dragon, along with actual employed spies gathering information (like when finding out if Bern knows Fa is a dragon when she's captured), and by his own admission he has to learn everything about an enemy and understand exactly why they're fighting. The gameplay goals might not be very varied, but the game does fully support that Roy is a keen strategist with something being mentioned in his favor every few chapters or so. And one thing the gameplay does support, is that he can finish battles very swiftly, given that the requirement for the Gaidens are all turn count based.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Not really. Roy's main tactics involve prudence to avoid falling into traps, and relying on the help of allies to further strengthen his position. He knows he can't beat Bern at the start of the game, so he sets up a defensive base at castle Ostira to hold out until he can gain aid from Etrunia (not an actual chapter unfortunately) and one of his routes in the Western Isles involves teaming up with local rebels the gain success. He also manages to get the church on his side when retaking Etrunia in order to avoid putting the civilians at risk by fighting on the streets. He also seems to have a better information gathering network than typical lords, with a  lot of information coming from locals, like the aforementioned Western Isle split and learning about Ain being a dragon, and by his own admission he has to learn everything about an enemy and understand exactly why they're fighting. The gameplay goals might not be very varied, but the game does fully support that Roy is a keen strategist with something being mentioned in his favor every few chapters or so. And one thing the gameplay does support, is that he can finish battles very swiftly, given that the requirement for the Gaidens are all turn count based.

Not falling into traps isn't exactly a tactic and relying on allies is neat but every single FE lord does that. Teaming up with local rebels could have costed him greatly considering how Etrurian troops were in Lycia. The church ended up on Roy's side because Yoder wanted to help Roy out, not because Roy somehow cunningly convinced the church to help. A good information gathering network was because of Merlinus though. I agree he's a good tactician and strategist, however, considering he manages to overrun his enemies with lightning speed which would mean he's good at blitzkrieg strategies. Still don't see how he's significantly better than Ephraim who managed to take Grado on without as powerful allies as Roy had.  

8 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Not falling into traps isn't exactly a tactic and relying on allies is neat but every single FE lord does that. Teaming up with local rebels could have costed him greatly considering how Etrurian troops were in Lycia. The church ended up on Roy's side because Yoder wanted to help Roy out, not because Roy somehow cunningly convinced the church to help. A good information gathering network was because of Merlinus though. I agree he's a good tactician and strategist, however, considering he manages to overrun his enemies with lightning speed which would mean he's good at blitzkrieg strategies. Still don't see how he's significantly better than Ephraim who managed to take Grado on without as powerful allies as Roy had.  

Not falling into traps shows that Roy has keen enough intelligence to realize where the traps are and how to avoid them, or even how to turn them around on their enemies, like how he forced Wagner to spring his trap early when he tried to prematurely leave. And yes, Yodel teamed up with Roy because of his own desires, but it's also clear that Roy sought aid from the church himself in an effort to reduce casualties on the streets. The conversation at the start of the chapter in question specifically has Roy thanking Yodel for that before even discovering that the church has other motives for helping him. He also doesn't blindly join the rebels, he approaches them to try and understand what exactly is going on and only joins them when he hears of the Etrunia corruption and labor camps. The difference between Roy and Ephraim is that Roy does all these additional things to secure himself and ensure his plans don't fail. While Ephraim just charges the enemy and his plans miraculously don't fail.