The Grand Hero Battle's Table: Gharnef

SatsumaFSoysoy

14 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

>pretty speedy in life

>one of the leading reason why poor Wendell got nerfed in every subsequent appearance

WENDELL DID NOTHING WRONG, GHARNEF IS JUST WEAK

In two of his three living appearances his speed was 18, which was bonkers for the relative enemy strength. Granted, the rest of his stats were shit, but his speed was quite solid. That's also why I wouldn't actually have complained if they'd given him like 43/23/39/27/20. It'd be atrocious, but it would actually kinda line up with his in-game stats.

8 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

....and yup, Marth as we know it now actually originates in FE12. FE11 Marth fits into Smash Bros Marth meme than everyone think he is

Wait what?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh baby, this is what I've been waiting for!

His art is gorgeous, which is something I never thought I'd say about Gharnef of all characters, hahah.

This gives me hope for an Archanean banner in the future.

Guys, they are giving us Gharnef now because they are saving Medeus for the next Archanea GHB. It's so obvious.

Watch it be Eremiya instead.

But wait, I think I figured something out. I know what the Forging Bonds will be about. It will feature Gharnef, Surtr, Julius and Garon, and they will argue over who is more ridiculously evil.

Julius: "It's obviously me. I killed dozens of children because I felt like it. I was in the mood to have children sacrificed in my name."

Garon: "Bitch, I went against my own kids, not just random children. MY CHILDREN! Look how I say YOU ARE MY CHILD NOW! It sounds so evil."

Julius: "Well I planned to kill my own family too. Except my queen."

Surtr: "Well I actually succeded in killing my daughter. Plus a huge number of both my enemies and subjects. And I almost ended the world. I'm way better than both of you."

Gharnef: "Gentlemen, it's pointless to fight over such petty things. And I'm the most evil anyway. I INVENTED EVIL."

22 minutes ago, bottlegnomes said:

In two of his three living appearances his speed was 18, which was bonkers for the relative enemy strength. Granted, the rest of his stats were shit, but his speed was quite solid. That's also why I wouldn't actually have complained if they'd given him like 43/23/39/27/20. It'd be atrocious, but it would actually kinda line up with his in-game stats.

Wait what?

Yeah but

Doubled by W E N D E L L is canon

Anyway its this

c4e3d376f2dad7619729ca112568217d.jpg

Actual FE11 Marth:

Marth:
“Nonetheless we must face them head-on; they stand between us and Altea.”

Nyna:
“That hunger for danger worries me, Marth. Humanity’s hopes rest on your shoulders. I would sooner not see them crushed.”

Marth:
“Which? Humanity’s hopes, or my shoulders? …Have a little faith, Nyna. The enemy ballisticians can strike from afar, but they’re powerless up close. All we need to do is move in and silence them before they do too much damage. Watch!”

And then he get humbled at the very same chapter.

@GrandeRampel

Gharnef: That muffin you're eating? I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR.

3 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

This ghb is refreshing after the banners we went through.

So what skills he comes with?

Spoiler

Imhullu, Ignis, Mirror Stance (4-star), Chill Atk (5-star).

Imhullu is Res +3 and at the beginning of turn 3, hits all non-tome enemies in the 5 columns centered on him with 5 damage and Candlelight/Flash.

Edited by Ice Dragon

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@GrandeRampel

Gharnef: That muffin you're eating? I DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR.

Kiran/Me: "WOAH! That was totally uncalled for, Gharnef. There was no reason to do it, I'm legit crying man. You are getting foddered for this. I can work with evil emperors, assassins and dark dragons, but this is too much. We have to draw the line somewhere."

9 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

Kiran/Me: "WOAH! That was totally uncalled for, Gharnef. There was no reason to do it, I'm legit crying man. You are getting foddered for this. I can work with evil emperors, assassins and dark dragons, but this is too much. We have to draw the line somewhere."

gharnef is the worst kind of evil

petty middle manager.

Art is gorgeous (hideous as he should be!), and nice to have decent speed though wish it was high speed.  It is a bit unfortunate that all these GHB boss sorcerers are red mages (Julius, Arvis, Lyon, now Gharnef).  Skills are good Mirror stance is in 4 star pool now, but chill attack...that is a hard to get skill.  Tome animation is great, and the original puppetmaster of Fire Emblem will be promoted by me at least.  

Yes and the voice acting might be the most impressive of all, it is just perfect.  Legendary Linde with Starlight when?

Edited by Lewyn

7 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

My god. His English VA did such a fantastic job. He sounds amazing. You have to listen to him

its... its more horrible (beautiful) then i thought it would be...

i kinda like some of the touches added for his dialogue as well, like the comment about knowing full well that hell awaits him, adds a bit of an interesting spin to his character.

On one hand, neat - a major Archanean villain! And the artwork and voice acting suits him!

On the other hand, BORING. Another free red mage infantry. We already have Raigh, Arvis, Julius, Lyon, and Canas. Gharnef just doesn't stand out, especially when compared to Arvis.

Support unit? Arvis (as well as Saias and Katarina) has that role in spades.

Imhullu? It's a crappier more situational version of Betrayal's Skadi in terms of passive effect.

Combat unit? Julius is a better tank. Lyon is a Raventome mage. Lilina and Tharja are 3-4* available and are outstanding and simple to use; they also have access to IVs and merges that don't require Grails.

Mirror Stance? Not too many units make use of it.

Chill Atk? Why should I spend 20K-22K feathers for it when...

• Soren has Chill Atk 3 built into his Wind Brand weapon by default (as in, no need to spend any Divine Dew for it).
  • Atk Smoke exists. It's available as a seal, takes up the C-slot, and is also available on a 3-4* unit (Kaze) with the full chain unlocked at 4*.

Aside from Pokedex completion, he's not worth 20K feathers to promote in my eyes.

I just listened to the Japanese voice lines. He sounds stronger and less senile than his Warriors voice work (which makes sense considering Warriors uses his old fart DS design), but perhaps a tad less evil (probably because he sounds less old).

Overall, I'm very satisfied with how Gharnef came out as a whole.

5 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

i kinda like some of the touches added for his dialogue as well, like the comment about knowing full well that hell awaits him, adds a bit of an interesting spin to his character.

It's a bit disappointing that his English death quote doesn't have the full line that is spoken in Japanese.

In Japanese, "地獄の底で…待っておるぞ…" (jigoku no soko de... matteoru zo...) translates as "I await you... in the depths of Hell..." whereas the English line is only "I shall await you."

3 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Combat unit? Julius is a better tank. Lyon is a Raventome mage. Lilina and Tharja are 3-4* available and are outstanding and simple to use; they also have access to IVs and merges that don't require Grails.

Gharnef is a moderately fast, physically bulky red tome, which we don't really have yet.

Imhullu also has a way more reliable effect than Skadi for player-phase teams, hitting a wider area (Imhullu is 5 columns, whereas Skadi is only 3) and applying a more offensively-focused status effect. Imhullu is also much less likely to activate Desperation or Vantage on the opponent, though it does have the weakness of being unable to hit tome users with its passive effect.

11 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Exactly my thoughts. He looks cool and his tome is interesting, but another red infantry unit? 

Well, we still have Velt, Jahn, Nergal, and Validar waiting in the wings...

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Well, we still have Velt, Jahn, Nergal, and Validar waiting in the wings...

All expected to be red infantry?

Other movement type / weapon combinations do exist. I bet IS could explain how Validar stole Aversas Pegasus or Nergal using a staff. 

Gharnef seems like another mixed bag of a GHB unit. His defense is mediocre, his attack is nothing high either, but the effect from his weapon is intriguing. I don't understand why he comes with Mirror Strike and Ignis, but Chill Atk 3 is still a rare skill, he's defineately not ready to go with out of the box skillset.

Or maybe Aversa was just too good for us.

7 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

All expected to be red infantry?

Other movement type / weapon combinations do exist. I bet IS could explain how Validar stole Aversas Pegasus or Nergal using a staff. 

They're unlikely to not give them their signature weapons or use a non-canon movement type for the non-alt versions of notable bosses.

That said, a staff Nergal had better keep his original Dark Druid staff animation.

No idea who that is but he sure looks awesome. Sadly I have to agree with others about the 'another red infantry mage' part, I lack mages in literally every other color but they keep giving us reds :(

Don't sympathise much with the "another red unit" complaints. Despite how common red units are, I'd rather they always stick to canon classes.

Yeah, there are a lot of infantry swords already as well but Larcei, Rutger and Mareeta should still be that when they come out. 

Besides, if my team's sample is good enough, magic isn't so much lopsided towards red as are axe/sword/lance infantry units.

I have 11 red magic infantry 5* units for 9 blue and 8 green vs 22 sword infantry for 6 lances and 7 axes.

Edited by Vince777