• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

...Twilit, hast thou no end to thine bloodlust? 

Unfortunately, those who do not recruit everyone are beyond saving.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Unfortunately, those who do not recruit everyone are beyond saving.

You sure? You 100% sure? The units I didn't recruit in Awakening were the ones who were saved...

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Recruiting everyone? Pah.

Those who are not useful must be eliminated.

You're such a boring person. Put a meme in your teams. It'll make you a happier person.

Like me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to throw darts at my Three Houses cartridge again.

13 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Recruiting everyone? Pah.

Those who are not useful must be eliminated.

But the ones who are likable and the ones who are funny!

And the fact that you can have someone on the bench anyway just because!

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You sure? You 100% sure?

Indeed I am. 😌

The units I didn't recruit in Awakening were the ones who were saved...

Leaving most of them in their paralogues is leaving most of them to die so... same outcome either way, really. Actually, most of your characters just “retreated” so maybe some of them would have too, so it might be worse here.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to throw darts at my Three Houses cartridge again.

All of Three Houses is a meme.

Just not the good kind... 😭

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hiya, is there a non spoilery reason why you dislike Three houses?

I'm on part 2 about 3 missions in. Haven't beaten the game yet.

PHILA!

Phila, goddamnit. That's the name of the pegasus knight whow as with Emmeryn. Damnit, took me long enough to remember...

Sorry, don't mind me. Carry on.

18 minutes ago, Shrow said:

Hiya, is there a non spoilery reason why you dislike Three houses?

I'm on part 2 about 3 missions in. Haven't beaten the game yet.

Mostly, it's because it was one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life, if not the biggest. I wouldn't hate it as much, but the marketing, the teasers and the fact that it was Fire Emblem convinced me that it'd be amazing. At first I loved it, but then the cracks started to show, and my love turned to anger really quick.

Bad, uninspired maps with little to do aside from just killing enemy after enemy and moving forward; 40 minutes of downtime between maps where all you do is run around and perform boring chores; awful unit balance, messy story with some awesome beats, but also some huge flaws; terrible visuals and performance, and the dealbreaker: horrible, horrible difficulties. Hard is mindnumbingly easy, maddening is hard for all the wrong reasons and was clearly not playtested. I could forgive everything else - this straight up prevents me from enjoying the game.

I see the appeal of the game, and why others would praise it as they do (even if I do find it to be vastly overrated - the flaws are really blatant). And, of course, it's perfectly fine that others enjoy it. It's just, I gave it no less than 4 chances, and each time I grew to hate it more. I really want to love it as much as everyone else, but I can't, and that's what makes me so angry about it.

That's the gist of it.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, so long as you make it a good distance it sounds like good enough practice.

Wait I don't even hate the game why am I condoning it?

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bad, uninspired maps with little to do aside from just killing enemy after enemy and moving forward; 40 minutes of downtime between maps where all you do is run around and perform boring chores; awful unit balance, messy story with some awesome beats, but also some huge flaws; terrible visuals and performance, and the dealbreaker: horrible, horrible difficulties. Hard is mindnumbingly easy, maddening is hard for all the wrong reasons and was clearly not playtested. I could forgive everything else - this straight up prevents me from enjoying the game.

I can agree with some of those gripes
I'm finding hard to be really easy I can't imagine people actually struggling with the game on other difficulties. I was hoping that maddening would serve some kind of challenge after I'm done my first play through but from the sounds of it I might not like it. I'm actually pretty engaged with the story and well I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything its still decently fun story with some good work put into it. However what ruins it the most is the protagonist Byleth, he is what Corrin is but a hundred times worse. Absolutely no personality and is the most special person in the world, dear lord its awful. They doubled down on self-inserting cutting the quality of the whole game.
The 40 minutes of downtime can be avoided with seminars and resting.
Don't really need to play optimally when the game is so easy but I do it anyways because I like the explore option.

1 minute ago, Shrow said:

I was hoping that maddening would serve some kind of challenge after I'm done my first play through but from the sounds of it I might not like it.

It is not a good difficulty. Some are able to find some enjoyment in it, but you'll find very few people who'll tell you it can be described as "well designed."

Most infamously, chapter 13 in all routes except Crimson Flower is so badly thought out that it will very easily softlock you if you haven't trained every student in your starting class - and even if you have, if they are RNG-screwed or made into the wrong classes, it's softlock fun all the same. What, you wanted to use faculty and other house characters? You wanted to let permadeath do its thing and allow yourself to lose someone instead of resetting for a change? Your lord got bad gains? You made some units into mages instead of creating a wyvern squad? Too bad, you lose the game, restart from the beginning.

That, right there, was the chapter that turned my dislike of the game into pure hatred. First time I experienced it, I honestly couldn't believe they were so incompetent as to let something like that slide. Worst map in the series by far, in my humble opinion.

I'm actually pretty engaged with the story and well I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything its still decently fun story with some good work put into it.

Yes, the story is by far the best part of Three Houses. It's quite good, aside from Claude and his route being utterly pointless, the cult being bad even by evil Fe cult standards and--

However what ruins it the most is the protagonist Byleth, he is what Corrin is but a hundred times worse. Absolutely no personality and is the most special person in the world, dear lord its awful. They doubled down on self-inserting cutting the quality of the whole game.

And yes, Byleth. Most people, no matter whether they like or dislike Byleth, tend to agree that they are Better Than Fates™, at least. Well, I've played every game with an avatar at this point, and honestly? I still think Byleth is the worst. They fail as an avatar (no customizability beyond the friggin' name, which is just ridiculous for a character that's supposed to be "my unit") and they fail as a character (no personality - heck, not even proper dialogue, and yet they're the most pivotal character in the plot).

I do rather like the concept of a cold, closed off person that opens up as the game goes on, but being mute and at the same time the most special person in the world that everyone loves and wants for one reason or another ensures that this concept is destroyed in execution.

The 40 minutes of downtime can be avoided with seminars and resting.
Don't really need to play optimally when the game is so easy but I do it anyways because I like the explore option.

To be fair, the monastery is pretty cool on a first run. I genuinely loved it at first, even went out of my way to speak to everyone. A bit into the war phase, however, it started to get tiresome. Then on replays it was just annoying. That seems to be the general consensus.

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

THE ENTIRE YAKUZA SERIES IS ON SALE

YAKUZA 0 IS 7$ CAD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RPG maker is on killer sale as well...Hm. Should I...?

It's the golden week sale on Steam. Apparently games from Japan will be on sale to celebrate... something. Honestly, I don't care much. Let's see what bargains can be found here...

You're such a boring person

I can't disagree with this statement.

Put a meme in your teams.

I use Nephenee. Does that count?

Oh, and Cecille as well.

Roger too.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

No, don’t let your insanity rule you!

It's okay. I've accepted it now.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

But the ones who are likable and the ones who are funny!

The ones I like best are usually the ones I spare use anyway.

Makachad always dies though.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

And the fact that you can have someone on the bench anyway just because!

If one of my liked/useful units dies, I reset most of the time.

Of course, I don't go out of my way to kill of recruits I don't use. Kieran and Brom stay on the bench (for example) since, by the time I get them, there's no chance of them dying.

Banger.

Using 4-5 movement units on a map that rewards fast play is not fun!

Edited by Maof06

I can't disagree with this statement.

Well you should. It's wrong. I'm wrong, as I tend to be.

That's the meme of the normies. Boring. Next.

Oh, and Cecille as well.

Roger too.

All right, I will take these two. But I'm watching you! You better not step out of line!

Just now, Maof06 said:

Using 4-5 movement units ion a map that rewards fast play is not fun!

Wait weren't you playing Awakening? What map are you talking about? There is no such map...

Well, unless you're talking paralogues here. Then I'll shut my mouth, because I can't speak for how they play.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

YTqWec8.png

TLrTeI3.pngbRz1U0i.png

You know a sure fire way to dissuade me from ever playing a series?

Show me that there's like 8 titles in it, and then tell me that like the 3rd instalment is the best. It's what happened with The Witcher. It's an overarching story, but apparently the first two games are like, worse... So I ended up never playing it. Still sitting in my library. I very much doubt I'll ever touch it. Well, there's also the fact that I watched some gameplays and I did not like what I saw, but I digress.

Still, I'll bite: How is the gameplay in these games, anyway?

I don’t think Byleth is bad because they’re mute or they’re not customizable, I can’t really care.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

YAKUZA 0 IS 7$ CAD

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RPG maker is on killer sale as well...Hm. Should I...?

Get Yakuza or get RPG Maker?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And yes, Byleth. Most people, no matter whether they like or dislike Byleth, tend to agree that they are Better Than Fates™, at least. Well, I've played every game with an avatar at this point, and honestly? I still think Byleth is the worst.

No matter where they might rank, Byleth's worse. I might not like Corrin, but Byleth is still the worse handled.

Byleth has multiple failings as avatar or as distinct character that makes it impossible to be either. And getting in lane would have allowed there to actually do something more than the mess that is. Being a so strictly limited avatar with not enough story control in a game that had not the scope in the product for it to work, alongside the consequence of their handling being that Byleth is a void in character terms, makes Byleth the worst avatar in practice and the worst character in the game.

And yet I don't entirely hate them. And I know it's not an objective point, Byleth's still the worst character in the cast. Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

SRPG studio is 75% off today!

I looked at the prices on SteamDB and it's a shame the Euro is so high on the expense list.

I mean, much of it is the relative purchasing power of more wealthy currencies, but still, it's something that it costs the equivalent of €1.50 in Argentina.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

YAKUZA 0 IS 7$ CAD

And what song plays in your head?

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's the golden week sale on Steam. Apparently games from Japan will be on sale to celebrate... something. Honestly, I don't care much. Let's see what bargains can be found here...

Golden Week from what I can tell is a big deal in Japan. I'll just read for a minute and link an article. For the people who don't trust my links, a bad summary after I read for a minute:

There's multiple holidays within the period that were made national holidays post WWII and the celebration of the week itself was actually made from a marketing decision by a film company in the 50's partly in response to that. Marketing baby!

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

As the person who had her kill over 200 units in my first playhtroughs of Tellius, I don't think it is.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait weren't you playing Awakening? What map are you talking about? There is no such map...

He's playing all armours.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, unless you're talking paralogues here. Then I'll shut my mouth, because I can't speak for how they play.

Torture.