Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Armagon said:

I'll say Awakening's story is alrighty competent. By which I mean it's just average for the most part.

Which is just most of the series actually lol.

Okay, I should correct myself - boring average would definitely disappoint me after all the shit I've heard about Awakening's story.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, if you come in expecting a complete lack of competent storytelling (like I did with Fates), it's easy to just laugh everything off as terrible writers doing terrible writing and accidentally making everyone into a bunch of sociopaths. I know very little about Awakening's story, and what little I do know just tells me that it's a similar case of "is this Tommy Wiseau's horny wattpad fanfiction?" So it would be difficult for me to be disappointed with Awakening's story.

I mean, in theory. But the game is genuine scary. As if it was written by people who can't even comprehend that humans would care about the lives of humans that they don't personally know. It's painfully consistent with the way the characters are written, the way the battle dialog is written and the way the story itself is written.

It's also just shocking in general to go from Path of Radiance, where Soren gave a big, damning speech about people ignoring any misfortunate that does not befall them directly, to this piece of shit that feels like it was written by Begnion senators. Like, what the hell happened there?

Edited by BrightBow

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, I should correct myself - boring average would definitely disappoint me after all the shit I've heard about Awakening's story.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Wait what have you even heard?

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Prepare to be disappointed.

Wait what have you even heard?

It's terrible, everyone worships the avatar, time traveling babies and a woman kills herself but then not because why the fuck not.

That's about all I've heard.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I will say tho, there are some raw-ass lines in this game

IMG_20210406_125557.jpg

Don't get me started on 

Spoiler

Emmeryn again.

Say what you will, but I feel Awakening actually did that fine. If people just can't fathom that things like that can, and have, happen, that's their problem.

Did what fine? Shamelessly pontificating a character with empty rhetoric who never displays any of those traits and then having them executed while pretending it was some sort of noble sacrifice on their part?

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Did what fine? Shamelessly pontificating a character with empty rhetoric who never displays any of those traits and then having them executed while pretending it was some sort of noble sacrifice on their part?

Not that part. The other one.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not that part. The other one.

Bringing her back with the mind of a newborn child, while allowing the avatar to marry her?

In fact, the avatar is her only support option. Screw her siblings she supposedly raised.

Edited by BrightBow

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's terrible

It’s standard Fire Emblem (we have to stop the invading red empire!) with extra steps.

, everyone worships the avatar,

That gets a few scenes, and one of the endings really hammers it in there (maybe the second one does too, I haven’t seen it), but it doesn’t take over the plot or anything. I mean, that doesn’t even really start until the mid game!

Really, it’s not very prevalent.

time traveling babies

Those were actually good imo.

and a woman kills herself but then not because why the fuck not.

That’s handled rather sloppily in my opinion, though.

Edited by Sooks

Guys, stop taking BrightBow seriously, I beg you.

Anyways,

Some good tunes to listen to while I grind in Ys Origin so I can send the plant boss to hell.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

It’s standard Fire Emblem (we have to stop the invading red empire!) with extra steps.

Ah.

That gets a few scenes, and one the endings really hammers it in there, but it doesn’t take over the plot or anything. I mean, that doesn’t even really start until the mid game!

Mmhmm.

Those were actually good imo.

Oh?

That’s handled rather sloppily in my opinion, though.

Eh.

Well, thanks, then. I suppose the only things left are to find myself a totally legitimate copy and finish Berwick Saga so I can move on to what no doubt is an inferior game. How inferior, however, is a question whose answer I'll have to find.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, thanks, then. I suppose the only things left are to find myself a totally legitimate copy and finish Berwick Saga so I can move on to what no doubt is an inferior game. How inferior, however, is a question whose answer I'll have to find.

Wait you're planning on buying it?

11 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Bringing her back with the mind of a newborn child, while allowing the avatar to marry her?

Gonna put it in spoilers, just in case.

Spoiler

The surviving part, yes.

I've seen people complain that Emmeryn surviving is unrealistic, and that it somehow undoes the character development Chrom went through. The thing is, people have legit survived the sort of situation Emmeryn was in. It's not good odds, but they're there. Also, Chrom isn't going to go through character reversal just because his sister lived. That's not how it works. Specially since, and this is the big one, Emmeryn didn't came out unscathed. She survived, yes, but the mental damage she suffered if anything makes it even worse than if she was dead. As now Chrom has a constant reminder of those events. And since Emmeryn can't even remember him or Lissa... can we even say she's back? Death of personality and all that. They have someone who looks like her, but isn't her all things considered, twisting the knife further.

I wasn't talking about that last part of the question, so I won't comment on it. But it is eyebrow-raising all the same.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh?

They are plot relevant unlike a certain set of games’ child units.

But they join after the game goes over the deep end, so maybe you’ll drop it before hand...

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, thanks, then.

You place a lot of stock in the opinions of a Three Houses fan.

Eh, I'd say it's best to go into a game without any expectations, so you can form your own opinion about it apart from what others think.

It doesn't always work out, but who knows? You may enjoy it anyway.

Or not. People like and dislike whatever they want and all that jazz.

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Eh, I'd say it's best to go into a game without any expectations, so you can form your own opinion about it apart from what others think.

It doesn't always work out, but who knows? You may enjoy it anyway.

This. Going into a game with few expectations is usually quite nice, often leads to some present surprises. For example, when I started HSoS, I was told that the midgame maps are all boring or bad, but I did not find that to be the case whatsoever; only a couple were boring, and one was bad. I had few expectations of an even experience, but now that I'm on the other side of it, I can say with confidence it's one of my favorite games Kaga has made. (Still not Berwick tier but that's one hell of a bar for my tastes).

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gonna put it in spoilers, just in case.

Hide contents

The surviving part, yes.

I've seen people complain that Emmeryn surviving is unrealistic, and that it somehow undoes the character development Chrom went through. The thing is, people have legit survived the sort of situation Emmeryn was in. It's not good odds, but they're there. Also, Chrom isn't going to go through character reversal just because his sister lived. That's not how it works. Specially since, and this is the big one, Emmeryn didn't came out unscathed. She survived, yes, but the mental damage she suffered if anything makes it even worse than if she was dead. As now Chrom was a constant reminder of those events. And since Emmeryn can't even remember him or Lissa... can we even say she's back? Death of personality and all that. They have someone who looks like her, but isn't her all things considered, twisting the knife further.

I wasn't talking about that last part of the question, so I won't comment on it. But it is eyebrow-raising all the same.

But that's not actually what's in the game. Emmeryn only talks to the avatar.
If anything them accidentally tripping over such an interesting setup and intentionally ignoring it only serves to highlight that they only brought her back so the avatar could bang her

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

let me guess: desert boss?

Yeah.

Although I honestly have failed to find any of the bosses enjoyable. The actual gameplay is alright but the bosses just feel like bullet hells with zero health pickups. They really do want you to do this perfectly.

Could be worse tho, could be Ys 7 bosses.

Just now, BrightBow said:

But that's not actually what's in the game. Emmeryn only talks to the avatar.
If anything them accidentally tripping over such an interesting setup and intentionally ignoring it only serves to highlight that they only brought her back so the avatar could bang her

The DLC fixed that.

Which shows the sort of problem that was. Since they relegated her to being Spotpass, and then only unlocked by the final chapter, there was little to be done there.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

They are plot relevant unlike a certain set of games’ child units.

"Plot relevant"? Really?

It's no less tagged on then in Fates. Maybe even more so, considering the game expects us to ignore that they were all just sitting on their thumbs for 3 years.