Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I am a numbers person, not formulas! 

I visualise data, I see it and it speaks to me, I dunno why, it just flows. But formulas and shit? No thank you!

Edited by lightcosmo

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

In my defense, I tried to play Azure. I even beat the first boss.

But it looks like Shadow Dragon was too good of a Fire Emblem to stop at. I’m not really in the mood for Trails gameplay, I want more FE, Shadow Dragon was that good. This either means me finally giving Conquest lunatic a shot or me giving New Mystery a shot, I feel like.

But I can already hear Ruben screaming at me having this dilemma, so I guess New Mystery? Maybe? Decisions, decisions…

Honestly, I half agree with Lightcosmo, mostly in that the stats given for weapon levels are not explicitly stated in game (This isn't Fates only, modern FE has this since at least SD, as opposed to just Weapon Triangle since Genealogy) and thus despite the big bonuses I don't really have them in mind.

(Also, not gonna lie it's a little sad being alone watching the toy show.)

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But it looks like Shadow Dragon was too good of a Fire Emblem to stop at. I’m not really in the mood for Trails gameplay, I want more FE, Shadow Dragon was that good. This either means me finally giving Conquest lunatic a shot or me giving New Mystery a shot, I feel like.

But I can already hear Ruben screaming at me having this dilemma, so I guess New Mystery? Maybe? Decisions, decisions…

Might as well get it out of the way.

I think you can get away with at least Hard, maybe Maniac.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

*half-high five!*

I'd also like if it were more clear where they've been put up online.

There's always been some degree of formula with FE but I do feel less clear in understanding them for later titles.

I mean the bonuses are included right in the stats, and in the battle forecast you can see everything.

well, in 3H they turned weapon rank bonuses into skills, which will probably happen in the future from now on.

Edited by Father Shrimpas

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You can hear a voice echoing in the distance.

New Mystery! New Mystery! New Mystery or I'll kill you!

You can hear it echoing in the distance because I'm outside your home. Dew it, Sooks. Or I cannot guarantee the safety of your loved ones.

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Might as well get it out of the way.

I think you can get away with at least Hard, maybe Maniac.

For a first run, I would 100% recommend hard. Maniac gets a bit woozy at times. I've played the game a million times and at this point maniac is the chill difficulty for me, but recommending it for someone's first run is too much.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can hear it echoing in the distance because I'm outside your home. Dew it, Sooks. Or I cannot guarantee the safety of your loved ones.

Hey, it’ll unlock the Gaiden chapters, right?

Is there a full content patch for this one too? Or did they remove the stupid Gaiden requirements?

For a first run, I would 100% recommend hard. Maniac gets a bit woozy at times. I've played the game a million times and at this point maniac is the chill difficulty for me, but recommending it for someone's first run is too much.

Good to know, you are the New Mystery expert.

But how easy does hard get? Hard 2 in Shadow Dragon started out hard, sure, but got ridiculously easy as the game progressed. I hope that doesn’t happen again.

3 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Before my current Fates run i booted up New Mystery again...

No dice. I can't stand that game at all

Oh? Unexpected.

Did you like Shadow Dragon, Shrimpy?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Is there a full content patch for this one too? Or did they remove the stupid Gaiden requirements?

Thankfully, the requirements are more standard.

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Gonna offer the alternate opinion here and say try OG Mystery of the Emblem first.

Play that game's version of book 2 before swinging back to New Mystery. Both are great games with their own merits and faults.

I'd say play Book 1 as well, but you just played SD and I'm sure you don't want to play most of those maps again.

Not something you have to do, ofc. Just a suggestion.

Before going to bed, I decided to do some quick Terraria.

I dug a hole halfway to hell. Next time, I will finish digging the hole to hell. Having easy access to hell will be nice.

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Before my current Fates run i booted up New Mystery again...

No dice. I can't stand that game at all

Boo.

There are no stupid gaiden requirements. There are gaiden requirements, but they're not stupid. Or as much anyway.

Good to know, you are the New Mystery expert.

But how easy does hard get? Hard 2 in Shadow Dragon started out hard, sure, but got ridiculously easy as the game progressed. I hope that doesn’t happen again.

Hard is fair. It's been a hot minute since I last played it, but it took me a number of runs to decide it was getting too easy. I don't think you should worry about it becoming too easy. FE12 progresses far more steadily than Shadow Dragon does.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Gonna offer the alternate opinion here and say try OG Mystery of the Emblem first.

Play that game's version of book 2 before swinging back to New Mystery. Both are great games with their own merits and faults.

Hey no, don't do that, I know I told Sooks to listen to a second opinion but he's supposed to do as I say! Don't try to influence him!

Honestly though, @Sooks while I personally still say you should play FE12, it might be worth giving book 2 a shot. Perhaps you'll find the interface less gamebreaking than I did.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

I'd say play Book 1 as well, but you just played SD and I'm sure you don't want to play most of those maps again.

Why book 1, though? Book 2 has its perks, but book 1 is just Shadow Dragon with less content, no difficulty and an awful interface. What's the value of book 1? Not being sarcastic here, I'd really want to know.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

New Mystery is noticeably more difficult than SD. You can break it in half with drill grounds grinding, but I don't recommend it.

Only part of the game I genuinely dislike is how punishing the prologue is on any difficulty above normal. And ambush spawns on hard 1 and above, ofc.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Why book 1, though? Book 2 has its perks, but book 1 is just Shadow Dragon with less content, no difficulty and an awful interface. What's the value of book 1? Not being sarcastic here, I'd really want to know.

I honestly like how book 1 cuts out the maps I generally dislike from the game. Feels less bloated since the not-so-good maps are gone.

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh? Unexpected.

Dunno what's my least fav. FE, FE6 or New Mystery (probably Fe6). And both mostly because ambush spawns, and being imo a massive downgrade from their predecessors (FE5 and FE10).

Going from FE5 to FE6 was a bruh momento.

I wrote a wall of text here before on why i heavily dislike both the GBA and DS games.

I just really really hate their core gameplay.

Did you like Shadow Dragon, Shrimpy?

Bounced off earlier than i bounced off Birthright.

Hard is fair

ambush spawns

Edited by Father Shrimpas

35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I'm holding back the desire to scream myself.

But how easy does hard get? Hard 2 in Shadow Dragon started out hard, sure, but got ridiculously easy as the game progressed. I hope that doesn’t happen again

Unlike SD, New Mystery is a lot more consistent with difficulty for the most part. I'd say hard mode is definitely the best mode for a first run. Maniac can demand quite a lot, and those ambush spawns will obliterate you on maniac. Hard can still be quite tough at points, especially blind. 

Honestly though, @Sooks while I personally still say you should play FE12, it might be worth giving book 2 a shot. Perhaps you'll find the interface less gamebreaking than I did.

While I enjoyed book 2 quite a bit, I'd personally go for New Mystery first. It's a lot better to appreciate Old Mystery after seeing New mystery in my opinion. FE12 is just so smooth and quick compared to FE3. 

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

I honestly like how book 1 cuts out the maps I generally dislike from the game. Feels less bloated since the not-so-good maps are gone.

>Removes Pyrathi

>Keeps Lefcandith

I still can't believe that happened.

2 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Going from FE5 to FE6 was a bruh momento.

That is not a sentence I expected to read today.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But it also cuts the best characters.

Darros can no longer be sail MotE unplayable -0/10

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

New Mystery is noticeably more difficult than SD. You can break it in half with drill grounds grinding, but I don't recommend it.

I'd argue there isn't so much money that you can afford to pump everyone full of levels. It can be used to catch up some underleveled units, but it has to be used with care.

Only part of the game I genuinely dislike is how punishing the prologue is on any difficulty above normal. And ambush spawns on hard 1 and above, ofc.

Oh yeah, I should probably have mentioned the prologue. @Sooks The prologue maps are smaller and feel more puzzley than the rest of the game. They're generally regarded as one of the most difficult parts of New mystery, but on the other hand, since they're so tiny, the strategies to deal with them are easy to replicate. Not to mention, a tanky Kris breaks them in half. Please don't be discouraged if you have some trouble with them. Not all of the game is like them.

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I guess that's a point, but the difficulty is just... It might be easier than Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance. You basically only play that game if you want to watch a movie that lasts 20 hours, and story isn't even a draw like it is for PoR. I coasted through it without even understanding the HUD, I mean, it doesn't get much more brainless than that.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But it also cuts the best characters.

Yeah that's the other problem. It is criminal that they cut Wrys, I mean, c'mon.

10 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Dunno what's my least fav. FE, FE6 or New Mystery. And both mostly because ambush spawns, and being imo a massive downgrade from their predecessors (FE5 and FE10).

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

If I had to pick a single FE game I like the least anymore, I'd probably say Binding Blade, tbh.

Sheesh, no love for the Boy.

Honestly though, I can see it. I'm super fond of it, but it's... kind of a badly made game, to be quite honest.

ambush spawns

Yeah, well, decently fair in spite of that. We both know we can't reach an agreement here.

4 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I'm holding back the desire to scream myself.

Let us scream together.

I'll start.

Unlike SD, New Mystery is a lot more consistent with difficulty for the most part. I'd say hard mode is definitely the best mode for a first run. Maniac can demand quite a lot, and those ambush spawns will obliterate you on maniac. Hard can still be quite tough at points, especially blind. 

I agree with this.

While I enjoyed book 2 quite a bit, I'd personally go for New Mystery first. It's a lot better to appreciate Old Mystery after seeing New mystery in my opinion. FE12 is just so smooth and quick compared to FE3. 

The better UI does wonders. I simply cannot enjoy Old Mystery because it's a chore just to read the battle numbers.

Edited by Saint Rubenio