• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it'd be like pre-Shallie Atelier in that regard but even then, Atelier gave you things to do. Meanwhile Persona 5 is really taking it's time before giving you stuff to actually do.

It is a ~120 hour game. The start is going to be slow.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whyyyyyyyyy assign this to the Sumerian hero of yore? Glancing over the myths, there is nothing remotely of the sort in his legends. Why not grab a fictional or real figure (like Casanova) to whom it might actually have some some traction?

Either way, it's messed up Japan. I'm all for whatever retcons they might've enacted here.

References to the Droit du seigneur have always been in the original Epic of Gilgamesh.

But don't worry, Fate Gilgamesh also follows in the same footsteps as the mythological figure he was based on, a king who matures after discovering true companionship and the true meaning of life and returns to rule Uruk as a wiser, humbler king. I'm glad Nasu didn't change much of his backstory, because it was unnecessary.

The ancient Sumerians taught a lesson in character development 3,000 years ago.https://i.redd.it/b12famc5lnx51.png

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

He is the GOAT, yes

FTFY

Well, this game was a slow burn, but it's steadily becoming better and better. Having a great time with it so far.

..I will, however, nitpick this latest development. Because it's dumb.

Spoiler

So we were waging battle with this greedy person Sorsley. We beat him, and our Aesfrosti ally was about to execute him.

Then this other doofus Exharme, compatriot to Sorsley, arrives, reveals he used the distraction to capture our home, then forces us to surrender. Sorsley leaves on his merry way.

Afterwards, Exharme grants us our home back, as well as medicine for Dad (who is, miraculously, still alive in spite of his heart problems and his dadness in a JRPG), which he claims will see him recovered.

In exchange, he demands that.... We go assassinate Sorsley.

Good job, Exharme. Brilliant strategy. I can ser only one tiny snag, but hey, I won't complain. Your utter imbecility may see Dad through this game yet. Now that would be the twist of the ages.

In return, though, I will praise a different aspect entirely.

622imGum_o.jpg

This woman is not wearing boob armor.

I never thought I'd see the day.

A female warrior who is geared sensibly.

Inconceivable.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Persona 5, huh? I tried it out a while ago, but dropped it when they objectified that one girl who was supposed to be standing up against objectification.

Might have kept going if the gameplay wasn’t generic RPG, though it not being my thing is just a personal preference. Hope Armagon can enjoy it!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Bwaahahahaha! Oh this game is going places now.

Reveal hidden contents

So the evil greedy fatso from the church state is coming to invade us. Aesfrost has accepted to send aid our way. This means we can easily backstab them and grant Hyzante an easy win in exchange for assylum...

...ooor we can cast our lot with Aesfrost. You know, the guys who invaded us for bogus reasons and intend to conquer the entire world. Led by a vampire.

Yes. Please. I want to stick with Vampcens until the end. I want to see how far they'll let me go down this evil path. Let's go.

Huh… I assumed the story would just be generic all the way through, not that they would give you choices like that. Maybe I should grab it at some point.

39 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Or maybe a wall hanging that depicts a small demon. So there can be an Imp Poster

Or perhaps a French tax booth with a fight so that there can be an Impot Stir.

*Translator's note: Impot means taxes and is pronounced Imp-O.

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Or perhaps a French tax booth with a fight so that there can be an Impot Stir.

*Translator's note: Impot means taxes and is pronounced Imp-O.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

LMAO

Even though it's an easy rule to remember, I will never understand why -ent is silent for verbs.

Seriously, why is "aiment" pronounced "aime"?!

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Holy... Triangle Strategy has horrible FPS...

Does it? It hasn't felt any worse than every other Switch game to me, other than that random scene where the FPS dropped for no apparent reason. The Switch just can't seem to run anything at higher than 30 FPS, but this is no Three Houses, I've had no issues aside from that.

48 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Huh… I assumed the story would just be generic all the way through, not that they would give you choices like that. Maybe I should grab it at some point.

It's ramping up. Hopefully it can keep up the pace.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I don't know why, but I find it really funny that three of the accounts following me are the same person: Some chap who got banned, their alt account which got the boot for being an alt account, and then the account they made after they got the other two banned.

The indefinite AW delay is actually making me want to dust off the old 3DS and give DS or DoR a few runs. Except I would feel kinda guilty doing so, since they're a well-trodden "dead" games for me. I have a backlog, so I should prioritize that, but the allure of the familiar is pulling at me.

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'm still partial to Crimea as a name for the fictional country. But then I'm adverse to altering names.

I'm not for unfortunate name changes, I was more extemporaneously thinking of another place name that IS could use in the future that I happen to like.

And thank you for the information. I had assumed (I don't pay one iota of attention to comics and superheroes) that Marvel had invented Black Panther after the IRL organization came into existence, to diversify its superheroes after the 1960s or something.

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I think the single thing that ties Olaf to Russia in my mind is his CO ability. Summoning a snowstorm which his troops thrive in while yours flounder simply reminds me of the way Hitler's progression on the Eastern Front stalled come the winter.

And that I totally agree on you with. The winter weather also played a role in Napoleon's defeat of course. Although it did nothing to stop the Mongols on their initial raids of post-Kievan internecine-civil-warring Rus. They invaded from the east, and actually liked the winter to an extent, since it froze the rivers so their horses could cross.

In both the cases of the Emperor of the French and the German guy, the winter by itself wasn't enough of course. Russia is really big, and regardless of warhorses or tanks, the logistical nightmares imposed on the aggressors were daunting. Those same distances provided large "crumple zones" that the Russians could surrender without losing. Bad winters are one thing, but Russia sorta needed its enormity. And historians debate, in the case of Napoleon at least, the extent to which tactical retreat and exhausting the enemy was actually something the generals planned vs. a happy accident. In Stalin's case, there is no debate, he stupidly had let down his guard and paid the consequences for trusting his Teutonic brother-in-pure-evilness.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

I hope this game has a doppelganger so that there can be in imposter.

Persona does have the concept of "Shadow" versions of oneself. They know everything about you and look exactly like you, but either embody your secret insecurities and flaws or harshly criticize you for them. Each game uses them to varying extents.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In Stalin's case, there is no debate, he stupidly had let down his guard and paid the consequences for trusting his Teutonic brother-in-pure-evilness.

Not exactly. Stalin didn't trusted Hitler to keep the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, and neither did Hitler expected it of Stalin. They both planned to backstab the other, the pact was just to give them breather room while they focused elsewhere. For Hitler, it was the UK and France. For Stalin, it was still mainly just Hitler. That's why he also had a non-aggression treaty with the Japanese. With those two pacts, Stalin had time to consolidate and be war-ready. Hence the invasion of eastern Poland, the Baltic states, and Finland, in order to create a buffer zone, and moving the war industry east of the Urals.

About the only thing Stalin failed to consider was France falling too quickly, thus allowing Hitler to break the Molotov–Ribbentrop much earlier than Stalin anticipated.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Not exactly. Stalin didn't trusted Hitler to keep the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, and neither did Hitler expected it of Stalin. They both planned to backstab the other, the pact was just to give them breather room while they focused elsewhere. For Hitler, it was the UK and France. For Stalin, it was still mainly just Hitler. That's why he also had a non-aggression treaty with the Japanese. With those two pacts, Stalin had time to consolidate and be war-ready. Hence the invasion of eastern Poland, the Baltic states, and Finland, in order to create a buffer zone, and moving the war industry east of the Urals.

About the only thing Stalin failed to consider was France falling too quickly, thus allowing Hitler to break the Molotov–Ribbentrop much earlier than Stalin anticipated.

I trimmed out that detail for a modicum of brevity, but I was aware of it. The World's Most Infamous Georgian wasn't a complete buffoon. Although, didn't he lock himself in his room for a few hours in disbelief it was happening so soon or something?

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I trimmed out that detail for a modicum of brevity, but I was aware of it. The World's Most Infamous Georgian wasn't a complete buffoon. Although, didn't he lock himself in his room for a few hours in disbelief it was happening so soon or something?

I don't really know, but does sound plausible.

I suppose not many back then expected for Nazi Germnay to just blitz through France, Denmark, Norway, etc. in very short order.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Does it? It hasn't felt any worse than every other Switch game to me, other than that random scene where the FPS dropped for no apparent reason. The Switch just can't seem to run anything at higher than 30 FPS, but this is no Three Houses, I've had no issues aside from that.

You might be on a different route than I am, but I did a battle where you set stuff ablaze and the FPS... Took a HUGE dive.

Also, Smash runs 60 FPS.

Edited by lightcosmo

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

You might be on a different route than I am, but I did a battle where you set stuff ablaze and the FPS... Took a HUGE dive.

Huh... I can see how that'd tank the performance, yeah.

Out of curiosity, how far into the game are you and what choices have you made? Put the choices in a spoiler box, and if I'm ahead I'll open it.

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, Smash runs 60 FPS.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Smash's existence.

Ma'alob k'íin! Good afternoon folks.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Semi-related, I find it incredibly funny that Breath of The Wild, a launch title for the Switch, looks better than Legends of Arceus, a game released 5 years into the Switch's lifespan.

Kamoshida's Palace has been conquered. I do dig the stealth-based gameplay this JRPG is going for although i do wonder how well that's gonna work out in the long run.

....And after that, i deadass had to wait an in-game week for the plot to progress. Ok.

3 hours ago, Awakened_06_ said:

It is a ~120 hour game. The start is going to be slow.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

That is true. But i have played a few JRPGs with slow starts that still had the good/bad ratio leaning heavily towards the good.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This woman is not wearing boob armor.

I never thought I'd see the day.

A female warrior who is geared sensibly.

Inconceivable.

Bro you were literally playing Zero Mission like last week.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I tried it out a while ago, but dropped it when they objectified that one girl who was supposed to be standing up against objectification.

Ehhh, Ann's Panther outfit isn't really objectifying. It's no different from what Catwoman and Black Cat would wear. Fits in with the whole spy aesthetic.

Unless you're talking about a completely different character but it doesn't sound like you went that far into the game.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

Might have kept going if the gameplay wasn’t generic RPG, though it not being my thing is just a personal preference.

I would call it the good kind of generic because it is fun but i've definitely played better turn-based RPGs. Hell, even TMS is honestly better in that regard.

57 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, Smash runs 60 FPS.

Most Nintendo games do i'm pretty sure.

Edited by Armagon

Imma break my PC's kneecaps!! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! It took an hour just to get this stream working and its still not working 😭 I have literally nothing to do until my PC decides to work right....

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Huh... I can see how that'd tank the performance, yeah.

Out of curiosity, how far into the game are you and what choices have you made? Put the choices in a spoiler box, and if I'm ahead I'll open it.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about Smash's existence.

Its atrocious, haha.

Spoiler

First choice I went to the desert and then decided to side with Roland and protect him, leading me to fight the ice kingdom whose names escape me at the moment. 

Now, everyone seems to hate us and allies are trying to kill us at every turn. 

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Semi-related, I find it incredibly funny that Breath of The Wild, a launch title for the Switch, looks better than Legends of Arceus, a game released 5 years into the Switch's lifespan.

Well, that's not such a curious thing. Three Houses came out 18 years after the GameCube and it looks worse than those games Artstyle is a big part of making games look good. A game with a solid artstyle will stand the test of time. Of course, care needs be put into the visuals as well. I haven't seen much of Legends of Arceus, so I can't judge, but Breath of the Wild's a game with the kind of style that will still look good 20 years from now.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Bro you were literally playing Zero Mission like last week.

Ah. Yeah. I tend to forget Samus exists, not gonna lie. She's the grand champion of female videogame protagonists with dignity, but... Well, my experience with Metroid is less than stellar, and that drags her down. I hated Fusion, and Zero Mission is firmly on the "eh, might as well play this since I have nothing better to do" camp. At this rate, I don't believe this series will ever be anything noteworthy in the slightest, for me personally in my own humble and subjective opinion that I am not claiming is the absolute truth.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Hide contents

First choice I went to the desert and then decided to side with Roland and protect him, leading me to fight the ice kingdom whose names escape me at the moment. 

Now, everyone seems to hate us and allies are trying to kill us at every turn. 

So you made the complete opposite choices I did. No wonder - I went out of my way to try and be as evil as possible. Wouldn't have expected that from you, haha.

Ah, here we are. Found the way forward in Zero Mission. That was simple enough, if you disregard the fact that I combed the entire map last time I played and then lost interest for over a week.