Legendary Hero - Lilina: Firelight Leader

Fire Emblem Fan

16 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

As a unit she's basically a slightly worse Red Ophelia on a horse. The technical weaknesses for L!Lilina are that she's bound to the Quickened Pulse seal to start with her special charged and any form of Guard will ruin her Special spamming. The first one is the bigger deal because any AoE special spammer shares the second weakness so it's not exclusive to her. The real weakness she has is that her AoE is weaker than the average in exchange for lower CD, and that makes Ophelia come on top thanks to her access to Special Spiral making the higher CD on her AoE a non issue. 

Legendary Lilina has Slaying effect, so her Prf Special becomes a 1 cooldown. And she also has Quickened Pulse on her tome, so she has special ready at turn 1. She doesn't need QR seal.

Yes, her special is weaker than normal AoEs, but it's a 1 CD special on her hands. So she will always have it available for every combat. But what if her foe uses Guard? Her Atk is very good, and she can use Heavy Blade Seal pretty well.

Her tome also have Hardy Bearing, so she will nuke her foes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, daisy jane said:

but why? Intsys considers her to be a Lord (she was on that Lord banner thing) - and yah they didn't debut "obvious ones" but that doesn't mean having a less obvious one is a bad thing. imo i would argue it's a good thing for people who would want Elincia or Sothe or whatever as legendaries.  And for me.  I've been seeing "Xander needs to be Legendary already" well. no not really if the only argument is "Well Ryoma got one." (when he shouldn't have been made one to begin with) but i can't remember if he was on the Lord banner (or Xander considered to be one) so it's kinda moot one way or the other to me. 

Lilina has neither a unique class, nor does she ever give you a game over if she dies, nor is she really plot relevant in any way. At most, she's one of a few characters who need to stay alive past a certain point for you to get the true ending, but unless I recall wrong you can do her paralogue and kill her off and still get the true ending. Even if the game wants her to be Roy's canon wife, she's ultimately not plot relevant.

I feel like Heroes' "Lord banner" event doesn't ultimately mean every single one of those characters on there are lords, and those who are not aren't lords. I would certainly not count Nanna as a lord either and she was on the banner, and the house leaders of 3H weren't on there either but I'd definitely consider them lords. More so than Lilina or Nanna.

Heroes' "Lord banner" feels like an artificial way of padding out the banner so that each game had at least two characters (or in FE4's case, both generations had at least two reps). Games like FE7, could put all three of them on there while FE13 put both Corrins and Azura in the pool but not Ryoma (Xander is a grail unit, wouldn't have been on it anyway). 3H decided to put both Byleths but hold back on the house leaders for ... reasons. Meanwhile, games with only one actual "lord" character got a secondary character taped on, either their canon girlfriend or in Ike's case his buddy Elincia.

So, if an FE6 remake wants to retroactively give Lilina plot relevance and make her a secondary lord, I really don't care either way. But as of today, that hypothetical FE6 remake with Lilina as a secondary lord doesn't exist, and regardless of who IS put on that lords banner she is still less plot important than Ryoma, Xander, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, and Elincia ... and I personally do not consider her a lord.

19 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Claude and both Byleths are also obvious choices, but I'm assuming they'll come later.

We also got Dimitri last time. Even though I want Claude, I wouldn't like to have 2 3H Legendaries in a row. Claude or Byleth is coming next year, for sure... Maybe on February or April.

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

We also got Dimitri last time. Even though I want Claude, I wouldn't like to have 2 3H Legendaries in a row. Claude or Byleth is coming next year, for sure... Maybe on February or April.

Yeah, which is why I said I expect Claude and Dimitri later. I've heard people guessing February or April for Claude, and I don't think Heroes really wants to blow all of their hard-hitting 3H legendary character options too quickly either.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I personally do not consider her a lord.

That's fair. 
But IntSys does

I don't really mean to use that argument. but I mean for me - i've been very vocal how I think a lot of the book 3 Mythics should just have been regular poolie people. I didn't think they are mythical at all. doesn't change the fact that's how the game sees them as. and honestly. even going back to "it's been so long and still no xander" yah. but if Xander came out early. then he'd suck like most of the earlier legendaries do so. while we don't have him yet. it's probably doing him a king of service. 

and again for me personally - having the not so obvious legendaries means that there are some characters that I'd personally like to see become one and things like this gives me hope over the more super obvious you know they are gonna do those ones. it's the other ones that are out there and i think are a bit more exciting. but milage varies and stuff like that. 

16 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Oh, I was actually referring to plot importance more so than overall CYL ranking. It's bizarre to give Ryoma a legendary alt but ignore Xander for literal years (even if I don't agree with Ryoma getting a legendary in the first place, it feels weird to give one a legendary but not both), and male Corrin is only a matter of time. Sigurd and Micaiah are literal main characters for at least part of their games.

Fair enough. 

I suppose it should be worth mentioning that all four characters you named got an alt or was the lackey of one in Xander's case elsewhere this year (and all of them except M!Corrin were a Duo / Harmonized unit). That might be part of the reason why they got passed over here in favor of a different popular character who had no alt this year until now. 

But honestly, none of those four are even the biggest loser here. That would be M!Robin, who has been alt-less since February 2018 even though he has never placed below 20th overall in any CYL.

Also, like how they ignored that Mythic Heroes should be god-like characters, I dont think Legendary Heroes should only be Lords.

Any character that is important for the plot OR has a close relationship with the main character, being a sibling or a lover for example, can be a Legendary Hero.

Caeda is not important for any of the games she appears... But I expect her as Legendary one day. Lilina is basically the same case. She is Roy's best friend and future lover (depending on your choices) and also the daughter of a Legendary Hero, Hector.

I dont consider Lilina a Lord.. but this doesnt mean she shouldn't be a Legendary Hero.

And this thing about "she came before this character, or before that character" is always useless complain. You can say that for every character. These complains will always exist, and they never are worthy to waste time on them, in my opinion.

It's been a while since good PP mage cavalier was released (my last one would be Eirika), so kinda glad to see it, even if I don't care for the character.

• Red is great since I only have Reginn, and I wouldn't mind to get more copies of her since I somehow made her +4 in her debut banner. Don't have the fairy who is last remaining one I still have to get.
  • Green is good since Edelgard merges are absolutely welcome, Celica would be new and Jill offers good skills (already have a +spd one).
  • Colourless offers the jackpot for me (Bramimond), a consolation price (Claude) and the loser (Dooma), so a big hit and miss for me.
  • Blue is the easy skip for me.

34 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Legendary Lilina has Slaying effect, so her Prf Special becomes a 1 cooldown. And she also has Quickened Pulse on her tome, so she has special ready at turn 1. She doesn't need QR seal.

Yes, her special is weaker than normal AoEs, but it's a 1 CD special on her hands. So she will always have it available for every combat. But what if her foe uses Guard? Her Atk is very good, and she can use Heavy Blade Seal pretty well.

Her tome also have Hardy Bearing, so she will nuke her foes.

I was aware of the Slaying effect on her tome, but missed the in-built Quickened Pulse I suck at speed reading, lol. Then she's free to run Death Blow, Heavy Blade or even Atk+3. Alright, that makes her better than what I initially thought.  

The weaker special is still going to make her iffier than Special Spiral Ophelia. Lilina's best B-skill is Lull Atk/Res and that doesn't proc alongside her AoE because it only works in-combat so that's a bust. Agree on Heavy Blade and Guard (well, unless we're talking about the rare Guard+Dmg Reduction tanks). 

As for how much weaker L!Lilina's AoE is than Ophelia's: 

Assuming L!Lilina has an Atk superboon, her Atk looks like this at max with perfect conditions (aka 0 Res foe): 42(base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+1(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=72 (bump it to 78 with Tactics or Hone Cav). Her AoE dmg looks like this 78*.8= 62.4 dmg, round down to 62 because the game works like that. 

As for Ophelia: (37 base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+3(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=69 (bump to 74~75 because Fae or Tactics). Assuming Fae's Buff then her AoE dmg looks like this: 74*1.5= 111. 

So yeah, Ophelia's AoE hits significantly harder than Lilina's despite the latter's higher Atk so the 0.8 modifier in exchange for lower CD really hurts. 

Regardless, Lilina's job is going to be as a nuke on Cav lines and she's more than good enough to nuke those that aren't prepared for it. 

Edited by Alexmender

Which utter buffoon translated "Studied Forblaze"? That's a master class in complete failure.

The weapon's name in Japanese is 業炎フォルブレイズ (Gouen Forblaze), which translates roughly as "Infernal Forblaze".

業炎 (gouen) is clearly derived from 業火 (gouka), which directly translates as "kharmic fire" and originates from Buddhism, but now also refers to the "flames of hell" in general (both literally and figuratively). 業炎 simply replaces the 火 (ka), "fire", with 炎 (en), "large fire", which is literally just the character for "fire" on top of itself (and is commonly seen in fantasy settings for rule of cool).

"Studied Forblaze" clearly forgot the 炎 existed entirely and only translated the 業, which when pronounced as gyou has the meaning of "work", "business", or "study".

The Japanese name of the weapon as a whole derives from Forblaze's Japanese epithet, 業炎の理 (gouen no kotowari), "Revelation of Hellfire".

Edited by Ice Dragon

8 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

That's fair. 
But IntSys does

I don't really mean to use that argument. but I mean for me - i've been very vocal how I think a lot of the book 3 Mythics should just have been regular poolie people. I didn't think they are mythical at all. doesn't change the fact that's how the game sees them as. and honestly. even going back to "it's been so long and still no xander" yah. but if Xander came out early. then he'd suck like most of the earlier legendaries do so. while we don't have him yet. it's probably doing him a king of service. 

and again for me personally - having the not so obvious legendaries means that there are some characters that I'd personally like to see become one and things like this gives me hope over the more super obvious you know they are gonna do those ones. it's the other ones that are out there and i think are a bit more exciting. but milage varies and stuff like that. 

Okay, and I do not agree with IS's definition. And I really don't care if that's a "battle" that's already lost. It just means I don't agree with them and will continue to not agree with them. I'm allowed to feel that way, regardless of whether that changes anything or doesn't (and I'm aware it doesn't).

Also, where have I said in this thread that I don't think Lilina (or characters like Elincia, Sothe, etc.) should never be legendaries? Because I never did. I would've been fine with Lilina coming someday, I just wish they would've done someone like Sigurd or Xander first. While I've generally not been too happy with secondary characters like Julia on their legendary banners, that's partly on IS for doing things like avoiding Jugdral for so long and then releasing two Julia alts (including legendary) before actual main characters Seliph and Sigurd got ANY amount of attention. It doesn't help that most if not all of the secondary characters cutting ahead of main ones are female characters, which continues to give me the irrational concern that they're avoiding dudes because dudes.

Like, you're allowed to have your opinion, and I'm not telling you that you're not allowed to have it.  The way I feel has absolutely no effect on how the game is run, nor am I telling people that they're not allowed to feel how they feel, so I'd appreciate it if you'd just let me have my own stupid opinions without me having to write a stupid ass wall text to explain why I feel the way I do, which ultimately does not affect you in any way.

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Okay, and I do not agree with IS's definition. And I really don't care if that's a "battle" that's already lost. It just means I don't agree with them and will continue to not agree with them. I'm allowed to feel that way, regardless of whether that changes anything or doesn't (and I'm aware it doesn't).

Also, where have I said in this thread that I don't think Lilina (or characters like Elincia, Sothe, etc.) should never be legendaries? Because I never did. I would've been fine with Lilina coming someday, I just wish they would've done someone like Sigurd or Xander first. While I've generally not been too happy with secondary characters like Julia on their legendary banners, that's partly on IS for doing things like avoiding Jugdral for so long and then releasing two Julia alts (including legendary) before actual main characters Seliph and Sigurd got ANY amount of attention. It doesn't help that most if not all of the secondary characters cutting ahead of main ones are female characters, which continues to give me the irrational concern that they're avoiding dudes because dudes.

Like, you're allowed to have your opinion, and I'm not telling you that you're not allowed to have it.  The way I feel has absolutely no effect on how the game is run, nor am I telling people that they're not allowed to feel how they feel, so I'd appreciate it if you'd just let me have my own stupid opinions without me having to write a stupid ass wall text to explain why I feel the way I do, which ultimately does not affect you in any way.

well I didn't... say you said they shouldn't be?
You are allowed to have your opinions. I'm sorry for i guess.. engaging in conversation and just want to see where you come from more, i guess. while writing how i feel about things and trying to have a discourse. I'll leave you alone. However while I don't always agree with you, I never thought or think your opinions are stupid. But again I'm sorry to bother you. 

22 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Assuming L!Lilina has an Atk superboon, her Atk looks like this at max: 42(base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+1(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=72 (bump it to 78 with Tactics or Hone Cav). Her AoE dmg looks like this before considering the foe's Res or Dmg reduction 78*.8= 62.4 dmg, round down to 62 because the game works like that. 

As for Ophelia: (37 base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+3(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=69 (bump to 74~75 because Fae or Tactics). Assuming Fae's Buff then her AoE dmg before foe's Res or Dmg reduction looks like this: 74*1.5= 111. 

You can't calculate AoE damage before considering the opponent's Res because the opponent's Res is also multiplied by the same factor (multiplication distributes over subtraction). If the opponent has 40 out-of-combat Res,

Lilina deals (81 − 40) × 0.8 = 32 damage.
Ophelia deals (74 − 40) × 1.5 = 51 damage (19 more damage).

If the opponent has 50 out-of-combat Res,

Lilina deals (81 − 50) × 0.8 = 24 damage.
Ophelia deals (74 − 50) × 1.5 = 36 damage (12 more damage).

In combat, Lilina has 7 more points of out-of-combat Atk, 6 points of in-combat Atk from her weapon, and reduces the opponent's Res by 3, for a total of 16 points of effective Atk over Ophelia, which fully closes the gap on enemies with very high Res. And the difference for opponents with low Res is irrelevant because dead and more dead are functionally identical.

Note that I'm giving Lilina the Attack +3 Sacred Seal (for 3 more points of out-of-combat Atk) because she has Hardy Bearing on her weapon whereas Ophelia needs to run the Hardy Bearing Sacred Seal. I'm also giving Lilina Lull Spd/Res 3 on her passive B slot because Ophelia is stuck with Special Spiral.

So in the end, Lilina and Ophelia are pretty much comparable in damage output with Lilina having better mobility and Ophelia being more resistant to Evade skills.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

well I didn't... say you said they shouldn't be?
You are allowed to have your opinions. I'm sorry for i guess.. engaging in conversation and just want to see where you come from more, i guess. while writing how i feel about things and trying to have a discourse. I'll leave you alone. However while I don't always agree with you, I never thought or think your opinions are stupid. But again I'm sorry to bother you. 

I understand that there are times you want to have a discussion with someone about things just to see where they're coming from. But sometimes, the other person is not in the mood for discussing things -- not because of anything you did but because everything just fucking sucks in 2020 -- and just wants to express a harmless opinion that has no real meaning and not have to have a discussion about it.

It's not so much I'm hostile to having a discussion, it's more that my opinions on this specific thing are so trivial it's really not worth the energy for me to get into a discussion about it, especially during a time when I'm already going out of my mind with stress and frustration because I can't go outside because the outside world is coronavirus.

Edited by Sunwoo

20 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

I was aware of the Slaying effect on her tome, but missed the in-built Quickened Pulse I suck at speed reading, lol. Then she's free to run Death Blow, Heavy Blade or even Atk+3. Alright, that makes her better than what I initially thought.  

The weaker special is still going to make her iffier than Special Spiral Ophelia. Lilina's best B-skill is Lull Atk/Res and that doesn't proc alongside her AoE because it only works in-combat so that's a bust. Agree on Heavy Blade and Guard (well, unless we're talking about the rare Guard+Dmg Reduction tanks). 

Assuming L!Lilina has an Atk superboon, her Atk looks like this at max with perfect conditions (aka 0 Res foe): 42(base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+1(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=72 (bump it to 78 with Tactics or Hone Cav). Her AoE dmg looks like this 78*.8= 62.4 dmg, round down to 62 because the game works like that. 

As for Ophelia: (37 base)+4(superboon)+4(merges)+3(DF)+7(LnD4)+14(Weapon)=69 (bump to 74~75 because Fae or Tactics). Assuming Fae's Buff then her AoE dmg looks like this: 74*1.5= 111. 

So yeah, Ophelia's AoE hits significantly harder than Lilina's despite the latter's higher Atk so the 0.8 modifier in exchange for lower CD really hurts. 

Regardless, Lilina's job is going to be as a nuke on Cav lines and she's more than good enough to nuke those that aren't prepared for it. 

Yeah.

The think is... It's good to use both,so you can have two Hardy Bearing units right away.

Lilina's real weakness in AR is that she is a Legendary Hero. She will only get buffs and reduce lift if used on Fire Seasons.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You can't calculate AoE damage before considering the opponent's Res because the opponent's Res is also multiplied by the same factor (multiplication distributes over subtraction). If the opponent has 40 out-of-combat Res,

Lilina deals (81 − 40) × 0.8 = 32 damage.
Ophelia deals (74 − 40) × 1.5 = 51 damage (19 more damage).

If the opponent has 50 out-of-combat Res,

Lilina deals (81 − 50) × 0.8 = 24 damage.
Ophelia deals (74 − 50) × 1.5 = 36 damage (12 more damage).

In combat, Lilina has 7 more points of out-of-combat Atk, 6 points of in-combat Atk from her weapon, and reduces the opponent's Res by 3, for a total of 16 points of effective Atk over Ophelia, which fully closes the gap on enemies with very high Res. And the difference for opponents with low Res is irrelevant because dead and more dead are functionally identical.

Note that I'm giving Lilina the Attack +3 Sacred Seal (for 3 more points of out-of-combat Atk) because she has Hardy Bearing on her weapon whereas Ophelia needs to run the Hardy Bearing Sacred Seal. I'm also giving Lilina Lull Spd/Res 3 on her passive B slot because Ophelia is stuck with Special Spiral.

Yeah, I made a mistake there, what I wanted to show was the dmg done to a 0 Res foe (say an archer on starter stratum hit with Chill Res) for simplicity's sake. It isn't a realistic scenario at all and it's just flexing overkill numbers, I just used it to prove that the 0.8 multiplier on Lilina's AoE does make a difference in dmg and I was lazy to do the math using 40~60 Res foes. I edited that part like a minute after I realized the mistake I made with the assumptions.  

I'd still say Ophelia as the edge when Spd tanks enter the fray even if Lilina has the Spd Lull and extra in-combat dmg for obvious reasons, but I digress. 

41 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which utter buffoon translated "Studied Forblaze"? That's a master class in complete failure.

All of their senior translators probably went on vacation. 

Regardless, "Studied" is a very underwhelming adjective for a weapon.

50 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Was that pun intentional?

Regardless, I wonder if they'll fix this. I can't recall them ever changing the name of a weapon but I also don't recall any translation errors this egregious.

53 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Someone who was too deep into the memes.  "While you were out partying, I studied the Forblaze."

Ahem. . .

Not fully sold on red, because I don't have the time or neurons for AR.  Green looks great, because it's three units I don't have.  Gatrie would be the only new one on blue, and I'm not turning down merges from anyone out of colorless!  Still, new > merges, so it's green > red > colorless >> blue for me.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

What do you mean? It has 2 cooldown, Studied Forblaze has Cooldown Count -1 AND Quickened Pulse, and her Atk is high enough that if Guard is a feared issue she could run Heavy Blade reliably.

Honestly I think her biggest issue is that there isn't a variation of Life and Death that would boost her Atk without impacting her Res, just boosting her bleh Spd.

You are right. I clearly had a brain fart. For some reason, I forgot she only needs to hit once without the need for Special Spiral.

I think it's gonna go red > green > colorless > blue for me.

I don't care about the two Heroes characters in red all that much, but Lilina would be great. Edelgard merges would be awesome, and I don't have Legendary Celica. I don't have two of the three units in colorless, but I'm not super concerned with them. Blue pretty much just has skill fodder from Gatrie, and merges for Dimitri.

8 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Yeah, I made a mistake there, what I wanted to show was the dmg done to a 0 Res foe (say an archer on starter stratum hit with Chill Res) for simplicity's sake. It isn't a realistic scenario at all and it's just flexing overkill numbers, I just used it to prove that the 0.8 multiplier on Lilina's AoE does make a difference in dmg and I was lazy to do the math using 40~60 Res foes. I edited that part like a minute after I realized the mistake I made with the assumptions.  

I'd still say Ophelia as the edge when Spd tanks enter the fray even if Lilina has the Spd Lull and extra in-combat dmg for obvious reasons, but I digress. 

I mean, using an opponent with 0 Res is not so much unrealistic as much as it is irrelevant. In that scenario, even though Lilina is hitting significantly lower damage than Ophelia, she's still doing 154 damage, which will overkill any non-Rokkr enemy in the game by at least 55 damage (since the HP cap is 99).

An enemy with no in-combat stat bonuses, no percentage damage reduction, and no weapon triangle advantage needs at least 31 Res just to take less than 99 damage from Lilina. For Ophelia, you need 35 Res to take less than 99 damage.

The point at which Lilina and Ophelia do the same damage as each other (excluding weapon triangle and percentage damage reduction) is at 43 Res, where both deal 77 damage minus enemy in-combat stat bonuses. For enemies with lower Res, enemies are almost always just flat out dead, and for enemies with higher Res, Lilina wins out slightly.

This is pretty much the same situation as the comparison between Moonbow and Glimmer where Glimmer significantly out-damages Moonbow at lower enemy Def/Res, but the amount of damage you deal with either one is so high within that range that it simply doesn't matter.

In then end, the actual meaningful differences between them are not their damage output, but the other things that make them different, like their movement type, color, resistance to Evade, availability of blessing, etc.

And I think that was a good call by whoever worked on Lilina's stats.

1 minute ago, Florete said:

Was that pun intentional?

I wish I were that clever. I didn't even notice the pun until you mentioned it.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The weapon's name in Japanese is 業炎フォルブレイズ (Gouen Forblaze), which translates roughly as "Infernal Forblaze".

Nice to know! When I first saw "Studied", in my head, that adjective sounds kind of stupid on a Weapon, even though it technically made sense for a book.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

業炎 (gouen) is clearly derived from 業火 (gouka), which directly translates as "kharmic fire" and originates from Buddhism, but now also refers to the "flames of hell" in general (both literally and figuratively). 業炎 simply replaces the 火 (ka), "fire", with 炎 (en), "large fire", which is literally just the character for "fire" on top of itself (and is commonly seen in fantasy settings for rule of cool).

Would not 焱 or 燚 be cooler? Although I guess I do not see the triple fire character often, and I do not think I have ever seen the quadruple one outside of dictionaries.

...wait I fogot to give my piece on Lilina and the banner...

Well... what do you want me to say? She looks like she'll do reliable damage, she can do the Blazing Nuke thing but on a horse (which Cavs can't really do normally cause Special Spiral), and she can take a magic hit. She's Ophelia on a horse, and all the tools she needs are on her weapon. All that remains is the rest of her kit, and the fact she didn't come with some sort of +Atk/Def/Res -Spd A slot feels a little missed when she doesn't have any need for Spd.

Every color looks good, except maybe Red since we've had a while to get Reginn already, but I don't mind getting more Reginns, and I don't have Plumeria, so frankly I don't have a reason not to go all-in on this banner. Even Blue would be good to go for, since I wanna get Crafty Fighter for Brave Hector.

Edited by Xenomata