Rate the Unit, Day 26: Nephenee

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- Anyone that has done a RD RTU withholds the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Tormod: 3.28

Ilyana: 3.75

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Maurim: 4.72

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Edward: 6.31

Micaiah: 6.50

Marcia: 7.31

Zihark: 7.44

Elincia: 8.21

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Haar: 9.91

One of my favorite units in the game, especially when it comes to drafts. She has good availability. Amazing skill and speed, lances and wrath. She has problems in HM though. Shes basically another Mia in HM, relying on Adept to ORKO. Due to the lack of BEXP in HM, its harder to get her str/def up to par once she inevitably caprams her skl/spd and res. She is still pretty useful I find, but not as good as in NM drafts. 8/10 +1 bias 9/10

Edited by PKL

8/10 - I think she has the highest availability of any character worth using in every single deployment. Nolan might have more chapters, but... Anyway, extremely well-rounded unit. Main issue is her stupid strength hogging her down in Part 2. Lets give her a steel greatlance which knocks off 3 of her attack speed. After that, a pretty solid unit.

Nephenee, that girl from Ohma that pokes things.

Pros:

Good growths.

Caps are nice for BEXP abuse.

Good availability.

Decent Wishblade user.

Cons:

Lowish strength for a while.

Move is lowish.

Wee bit of a shaky start.

Personally, i found her to be a bit overrated. She isnt bad and grows nicely but when we first see Neph, shes wielding a Greatlance and that weighs her shit down so much. Because at that point, her strength isnt that fantastic. Shes still pretty fast so she will be (usually) doubling with that huge lance. Once she gets going, she doesnt quite stop. Since shes capping a lot of junk, shes prime suspect for BEXP abuse for a bit. Along with transfer Soren. Neph's lowish move means shes having a little bit of trouble catching up in part 3. In Part 2, shes not having too much trouble with that. But she can be a bit overwhelmed in 2-E with guys swarming her shit. Her part 3 is good and once she promotes, shes pretty good. Strength might still be a bit low but not so much where she is now encumbered by her weapons. Impale helps her ORKO shiz. Her Part 4 isnt bad either and she works best on Tibarn's team. In Endgame, she can use the Wishblade and rock some shit there. (But she may not have sole claim to that.)

Overall Nephenee is a pretty good unit. Shes got a bit of a shaky start but once she gets going, shes solid throughout.

8/10 7.5/10 bias because i dont use her a whole lot and i find her hideously overrated. (to the point of me going "gawwwwwwd")

Yeah i biased against your favorite character! :P::smug:

I love Neph in this game although it is stupid for her to start off with a steel greatlance that kills her AS and avoid.She doesn't have the greatest time in part 2 but once she caps her skill/speed (and she will) everything else falls into place. She makes great use of bexp since she reaches many of her caps so early. Afterwards she is practically cruise control and is my favourite Wishblade user in endgame. Out of all my units, Neph and Jill capped every stat except HP, if I recall, and I wasn't even using transfers.

Anyway, slightly iffy beginning but the crit bonus she gets coupled with her high skill and maybe even a Wrath activation or Impale makes Neph a KOing machine later. She definitely ranks among the best units in the game. No horse is not a big deal this time around since horses are now nerfed indoors, so she actually has time to shine compared to POR.

8/10 with +1 bias for 9/10

Nephenee, that girl from Ohma that pokes things.

Pros:

Good growths.

Caps are nice for BEXP abuse.

Good availability.

Decent Wishblade user.

Cons:

Lowish strength for a while.

Move is lowish.

Wee bit of a shaky start.

Personally, i found her to be a bit overrated. She isnt bad and grows nicely but when we first see Neph, shes wielding a Greatlance and that weighs her shit down so much. Because at that point, her strength isnt that fantastic. Shes still pretty fast so she will be (usually) doubling with that huge lance. Once she gets going, she doesnt quite stop. Since shes capping a lot of junk, shes prime suspect for BEXP abuse for a bit. Along with transfer Soren. Neph's lowish move means shes having a little bit of trouble catching up in part 3. In Part 2, shes not having too much trouble with that. But she can be a bit overwhelmed in 2-E with guys swarming her shit. Her part 3 is good and once she promotes, shes pretty good. Strength might still be a bit low but not so much where she is now encumbered by her weapons. Impale helps her ORKO shiz. Her Part 4 isnt bad either and she works best on Tibarn's team. In Endgame, she can use the Wishblade and rock some shit there. (But she may not have sole claim to that.)

Overall Nephenee is a pretty good unit. Shes got a bit of a shaky start but once she gets going, shes solid throughout.

8/10 7.5/10 bias because i dont use her a whole lot and i find her hideously overrated. (to the point of me going "gawwwwwwd")

Yeah i biased against your favorite character! :P::smug:

Oh no you didnt...ohmy.gif.

Her move isnt lowish. Also, shes only forced into using Greatlance in 2-1, where you will need her anyway. You can just transfer javelins/steel lance from marcia/haar with nealuchi so she can use them in 2-2 and shes set. And shes not overrated >:(. Ive seen this monster in action in NM drafts :P.

Super overrated cahracter. She needs to be babied in part 2 to get that str up to where you want it to be. This will hamper the efficiency of the run one way or another.

Then she joins in part 3 and is underleveled. More babying will make her more then a javelin poke but most likely she'll end up on the bench. If you get her up she'll be fast enough to double aura's with White tide so she's a pretty good character for endgame.

She suffers from Fiora syndrome. Just not as bad.

Salvageable.

6/10

I can see where this is going. This will end up like Soren in the FE9 RTU, where he ended up below rhys because of bias. Ideally, she should be around Zihark in HM but she will most likely end up somewhere close to edward because of "overrated" bias.

Oh no you didnt...ohmy.gif.

Her move isnt lowish. Also, shes only forced into using Greatlance in 2-1, where you will need her anyway. You can just transfer javelins/steel lance from marcia/haar with nealuchi so she can use them in 2-2 and shes set. And shes not overrated >:(. Ive seen this monster in action in NM drafts :P.

Well we all value mounted units. :P: That Greatlance does hurt in 2-1 though. Luckily she gets a javelin in that level but like, her strength is low enough that she may not be ORKOing with it.

And yeah, shes overrated. Ive seen monstrous Nephs too but dude...the amount of love she gets rivals Mia. Its like ZOMG...Both are good units but...come on!

BTW, PKL, just count my unbiased score. Herpaderp. Because it IS higher :P:

Edited by Florina

Ah, Nephenee, what can I say...

Well for starters, you have some of the most availability in the game, you have good growths and bases (except maybe strength but that's only a problem on 2-1) you can double almost all of the enemies you face, your the best unit for the Wishblade, and need we forget your Les Yay with Heather?

9/10 with bias, she is my avatar for a reason.

Yes! More love for Nephene!

@ Florina- in drafts, shes a godess. Being available in both Part 2 and 3 really makes her stand out as one of the best draftees. So my bias comes from there. :P Maybe I overrate her idk. I havent played a non-draft playthrough in ages :/.

I know :p. Im not rating her based on drafts since they are on NM. Im just saying where my bias for her comes from :p. Even though I havent played a normal playthrough in ages, I know she was solid back when I used to.

Edited by PKL

Good availability, very high skill and speed, and solid luck and resistance. She's real dodgy, but her raw physical defenses aren't great, especially in HM, and in EM/NM it would normally take a good amount of levels for her strength to reach par, but those levels are that much harder to get in HM.

7/10

Ahh Neph. My favorite character from Tellius. :>

Her start is pretty rough. 2-1 has her weighed down by her weapon, preventing her from reaching her full potential. 2-2 lets her have a Steel Lance which is weaker than the Steel Greatlance, but doesn't lower her AS. However, its a quick map resulting in little experience gain. 2-F has lots of Armors and her middling strength will stop her from being awesome, and she can't really help get a quick clear. Her Part 2 is entirely self improvement. She wants to cap Skill, Speed and Res ASAP so that she can get some strength level ups, which is really her only problem. She has lots of time in Part 3 due to the bigger maps, and that's when she transforms into scary mermaid of DOOM! :P A forge from 3-2 will help her immensely, giving her 30 Attack at base level (if for whatever reason she hasn't gained any levels yet).

8/10 + 1 bias

9/10

Nephenee

* Begins in Part 2: Chapter 1

!!! One of my favorites character in the game and FE in general... lol

+ Quick, Precise and avoids most of the attacks.

+ A really Balance Character.

+ Has a good avaibilitiy, and is faster than most of the enemies of any map.

+ She can play different roles during the game in good form.

- She can lacks a little of Strength, but than in the end... it doesn't matter

Score 9/10

She's a great unit 9/10. Her great availability is her selling point, and she's crucial for certain chapters.

Lol you voted twice, Emelina. You have the same avatar as someone else. >_>

Edited by BigBangMeteor

She's ok but a tad overrated. She's basically Oscar without a horse; albeit one with a better 2nd tier speed cap.

But I digress she gets a decent 6/10; not bad, but not game breaking either

Lol you voted twice, Emelina. You have the same avatar as someone else. >_>

She's that great to be voted more than once. :P:

-----

Only thing she will need is a lance forge later when it is available, otherwise she will need either a Stl. Greatlance, or Killer Lance ASAP to get her on par in some Str. Other than infusing some Bonus EXP into her to get her battleready for Part III, she'll be a solid unit. Only one worthy to wield the Wishblade. Great Dodge, instant 0KO ability (Impale) upon 3rd tier class, etc. What more do you want out of such a great unit.

Nephanee1-1.jpg

7.8/10

Super overrated cahracter. She needs to be babied in part 2 to get that str up to where you want it to be. This will hamper the efficiency of the run one way or another.

Then she joins in part 3 and is underleveled. More babying will make her more then a javelin poke but most likely she'll end up on the bench. If you get her up she'll be fast enough to double aura's with White tide so she's a pretty good character for endgame.

Salvageable.

6/10

My vote, since this is based on HM.

If it were NM, then Nephenel gets an 8/10, easily

5/10.

She has 35% Str and Def growth, so even if you had enough BEXP, and she'd capped SKL, SPD and RES, she still going to grow in HP and LUK over one of them, and she does need both. Brom will be killing Yeardley and his underlings as she's VERY liable to die if you try with her, as she can't double Yeardley even with the javelin, and he does 18 damage a hit, and she's doing 9 damage back, and the two soldiers behind him are doing 9 damage and 17 damage. 32 - (18 + 9 + 17) = 0. So she's stuck recruting heather and getting the items, without killing the Volunteers. So not a lot of exp for her. 2-2, she's doing a bit better as Nealuchi's ferried Marcia's Steel Lance over, so she now has 25 ATK and 20 SPD. She doubles 18 out of 28, but she's still not doing an awful lot of damage, being unable to ORKO an 29HP 12DEF archer, doing 26 Damage with a Steel Lance. You can team her up with others though so that they can damage, and she can finish of. Come 2-F, she's what -/4? She's probably flinging javelins at units on a level below her or from behind more durable units. Even if we kill as much as we can in 15 turns she's not going to be higher than -/7 unless you gave her BEXP, which would lower her STR and DEF, so I'm assuming she's not, so she's still losing AS from her SGL. . She comes back in 3-2, where she's still averagwe, but she's easier to deploy now we've got amazing untis like Gatrie, Shinon, Ike and Titania to help Haar pick up the slack of weaker units. She's not even necessarily the best unit for the Wishblade as The Seraph Knights hit the magic 34 SPD, fly, have canto and do decent damage with it. Sure I can give her forges to help her, but by the time I can, I have units who DON'T need forges or weapons in limited supply like killer edges to have decent offence.

Salvageable.

6/10

Count this as my rating, too. I prefer Aran

Like smash_fanatic once said, "she can't visit houses because she's 3-4HKOed by them". Well, that's the paraphrased version of it, anyhow.

I too find Nephenee a bit highly overrated, but to be fair she isn't completely terrible. Her slightly higher Spd and lacking sometimes the raw power to ORKO enemies gives Adept a good idea on her. Part of the trick with Nephenee is capping her Spd, Skl, and Res, then applying BEXP for the stats she lacks. There's also stuff like Energy Drop, too, which can sort of help. Brave Lance can be your friend when you're a little short on ORKOes if necessary.

Still, Nephenee lacks a mount and doesn't have as crazy activation / critical rate like Mia does, and Nephenee can have some pretty meh Speed if you're not caring enough for her in Part 2. 20 base Spd is good enough for stuff like Generals and Paladins, but that's about it.

The tl;dr version is that Nephenee isn't a terrible combat unit like some people paint her out to be, but she definitely doesn't deserve an ungodly amount of praise that she does either. She's a unit that can function with the right amount of favoritism and non-Communist Emblem (why people play Communist Emblem - Radiant Dusk is beyond me).

6.5/10.

Nephenee...!

I actually ended up seriously using her on my hard mode run and I wasn't disappointed. She's kind of frail with that lowish HP (until she becomes a SENTINEL) and her strength ranges from OK to mediocre (if strength screwed) but she's never truly "bad" and her availability is top notch.

7.5/10 + 0.5 bias for being adorable

so 8/10