Rate the Unit: Day 58 - Skrimir

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise. I will not throw your vote out if I do not support your opinion. Possible reasons for a tossed vote include: your vote is higher/lower than the vast majority to "balance the score" and failure to justify a radically different score.

Averages:

LYRE!: 0.32

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Kyza: 1.53

Astrid: 2.10

Lethe: 2.21

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Sanaki: 3.03

Lucia: 3.06

Danved: 3.11

Mist: 3.11

Rhys: 3.21

Tormod: 3.28

Rolf: 3.36

Brom: 3.56

Ilyana: 3.75

Makalov: 4.00

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Geoffery: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Sigrun: 4.71

Maurim: 4.72

Kieran: 4.82

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Ranulf: 5.14

Heather: 5.29

Soren: 5.45

Edward: 6.31

Tanith: 6.36

Micaiah: 6.50

Calill: 6.59

Boyd: 6.85

Mordecai: 7.17

Gatrie: 7.22

Marcia: 7.31

Zihark: 7.44

Nephenee: 7.74

Shinon: 7.90

Oscar: 8.11

Elincia: 8.21

Janaff: 8.28

Ulki: 8.32

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Mia: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Reyson: 9.07

Ike: 9.28

Titania: 9.76

Haar: 9.91

Edited by Starwave

Skrimir's pretty awesome. He's got good stats, Resolve, and Provoke, so he can take lots of hits. Slap Stones and Grass on him and he'll tank for days. Untransformed Resolve!Skrimir is also hilarious to watch. I guess his main problem is needing to chug Grass all the time until Gems appear, but he's the one person who can afford that, because he's actually worth it.

And this is getting near the Endgame. You need your best to start arriving.

-1 Bias because I dislike his character immensly, though.

5.75/10

Edited by Laurence Olivier

Skrimir's pretty awesome. He's got good stats, Resolve, and Provoke, so he can take lots of hits. Slap Stones and Grass on him and he'll tank for days. Untransformed Resolve!Skrimir is also hilarious to watch. I guess his main problem is needing to chug Grass all the time until Gems appear, but he's the one person who can afford that, because he's actually worth it.

And this is getting near the Endgame. You need your best to start arriving.

-1 Bias because I dislike his character immensly, though.

7.5/10

This except 4.5+1 bias because he actually gets some character development

Edited by CR-S01

6.5/10

If we're doing this right, then our combined trained GMs+DBs+other units by p4 will be streched thin, so we'll want good units.

Lions have a nice gauge and etc.

Overall great unit, handles well in the Endgame, nearly-royal stats, Provoke, and best of all, Resolve!!

Cons: Lack of 2 range (as every laguz), and he comes a bit late.

6.5/10 + 0.5 bias = 7/10

I'm pretty sure I can bare to rate Skrimir a 5/10. He's useful when he joins, but he joins near endgame, so other units will start taking priority quickly, especially when the teams split. By then, all that's left is to train your Ashera smashers.

6.5/10

If we're doing this right, then our combined trained GMs+DBs+other units by p4 will be streched thin, so we'll want good units.

Yup. I'll use this too.

6.5/10

This with +0.5 bias for arguable has the best character development in game

Overall 7.0

Skrimir really should have joined in part IV. After having to put with his bluster, him abusing the hell out of ranulf and being a general fuck up, I was hoping he'd do SOMETHING useful in part IV. Nope. Here are the facts:

-Skrimir joins in part IV

-Skrimir is usable in 2 chapters

Confused about my 2nd point? Seriously, Skrimir is usable in 2 chapters tops before you bench his ass for the superior royals (lol why on earth does caineghas join... he literally overshadows him.) and he isn't even that useful in part IV since your units should be able to handle themselves by now. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the best units in those 2 chapters, since he pretty much kills everything and has resolve to make sure he DOES kills everything. Skrimir to me feels like a fail safe character... if you fucked up and your units are shit at least you can use him as fairly good unit there.

Anyway i'm going to give him a 6/10 since Skrimir isn't half bad if you take him to the endgame, it's just that his awful availability, existence of 2 units who are flat out better than him in every way really limit his potential.

Low availability, but useful while he's there, and a slow-building gauge, but once he take his time chewing that Olivi Grass, so it lasts a while once he's shifted. Immediate Resolve and Provoke is nice too. Combine that with great stats and +1 bias for being so amusing, and you get: 6/10

Edited by I don't play for turns

Skrimir, the idiotic general of the Laguz Alliance.

Pros:

:o:

Big ass lion!

Decent gauge.

Resolve.

Good bases.

Decent base level.

Cons:

Should have joined in part 3.

Speed isnt great.

May need some Grass.

Skrimir finally joins your team in the beginning of part 4. Why he didnt join sooner (like around 3-11) is beyond me. His bases are pretty cool and his class is the best of the beast tribe. Hes got Resolve so if he takes a bunch of hits, hes gonna spam pretty hard. Lion gauges are nice because they dont deplete very fast. I think they are even slower than tiger gauges. This is good and bad. Good because murder longer, bad because without Grass or Stones, it takes a long time for the gauge to fill. Skrimir's innate Provoke is kinda cool if hes using Halfshift. That way he can act as a wall to do meaty ass chip so lower level guys can finish the job. His defense is good enough for that. But because Halfshift gimps his speed, he wont double. If you want a more offensive Skrimir, taking off Provoke and giving him a Speedwing (and no Halfshift) is a good way to go. I rarely use Skrimir for full on offensive purposes though.

I really never took him to Endgame so im not sure how his performance there is. It seems he'd do well there with some love. Like a Satori Sign and some Laguz Gems. He does need about five levels before Signing though. But hes got enough time to do that if someone is using him offensively and with Paragon.

Overall, Skrimir isnt bad at all. Hes versatile enough to be used for different purposes. Murder Skrimir and Meat Shield Skrimir. Plus he has some pretty great character development.

6/10. 6.5/10 bias because i love his character development.

He's good, but joins too late. He could have come much earlier to have a lot more use. However, he is very tanky and comes with Resolve and S strike, so he can tear stuff up good in the two chapters where he's forced. Can't really argue with 54 attack at base. When he transforms, he stays transformed for a good, long time as the Lion gauge is the slowest to deplete. However, fun times are over by 4-E unless you really, really want to use Skrimir over Caineghis or even Giffca. At least he doesn't require much in the way of resources.

5/10

However, fun times are over by 4-E unless you really, really want to use Skrimir over Caineghis or even Giffca.

Why not bring all three Lions? Lion is (one of) the best Endgame class(es). I prefer to bring a well-trained Skrimir (Speedwings, Paragon, and Laguz Stones) over Nailah in 4-E.

There's no one saying you can't bring Skrimir as he's still very good, especially with a resolve activation, but he's still a non-royal laguz who needs to spend his first player phase transforming. He's stronger than Nailah in resolve range with that massive strength cap, but he needs 5 levels, likely requiring a large chunk of bexp, and speedwings are fairly contested. But yeah, he's good, just overshadowed by two very similar units and joins when most people have already made decisions about who is going to come along to the endgame.

There's no one saying you can't bring Skrimir as he's still very good, especially with a resolve activation, but he's still a non-royal laguz who needs to spend his first player phase transforming. He's stronger than Nailah in resolve range with that massive strength cap, but he needs 5 levels, likely requiring a large chunk of bexp, and speedwings are fairly contested. But yeah, he's good, just overshadowed by two very similar units and joins when most people have already made decisions about who is going to come along to the endgame.

• Resolve is unnecessary if Skrimir takes Speedwings. He'll double everything except Swordmasters.
  • With a vigor, Skrimir can transform and attack on turn 1. Even without a vigor, Skrimir can engage in turn 1 enemy phase with a Laguz Stone or Laguz Gem (also, all laguz start with full gauges in 4-E-3).
  • Roar isn't critical for Skrimir (though it is nice). He can ORKO all non-Cover Generals in 4-E-1 without it.
  • With Paragon and Laguz Stone use (to get him into action immediately) in 4-P and 4-3, Skrimir can reach level 30 with little to no Bexp, even on HM.

Odd how often resolve got brought up. I didn't think it provided him anything decent.

Skirmir is a great unit with a few resources. His base 26AS is enough to double most enemies on 4-P and he will 1RKO most every unit he can double. He'll need an extra two points in speed to keep up that process in 4-2. So, either a speedwing or resolve can resolve this problem. Or if you used him a lot perhaps some BEXP or lucky growths. There is plenty of laguz stones and olivi grass to go around in this game, so that does not seem like a demanding resource. The laguz gem can solve his issue in endgame if you wish to use him. Even without giving his speed help after 4-P, he has no movement cost in the desert and can easily run around tanking hits and returning huge damage back.

Skirmir probably is the best user of the 2nd laguz gem. Giffca is the number one pick since he is pretty much Cainnegheis v0.99. My only other considerations for laguz gem usage unless another laguz got a ton of favoritism would be Janaff. But Skirmir again is not all that impressive unless he continues to get speed gains.

Dead useful for P-4 with only olvi grass or laguz stone. Some use in P-2 still with only Olivi Grass or Laguz stone. But will need a laguz gem and some speed gains to be worth using in endgame.

5/10

To me it's always a Tanith vs Skrimir thing. Skrimir is argueably better in his 2 maps he's good at depending on how seriously you've used Tanith. They both want that same Speedwing. While He might be tankier on those 2 maps in endgmae Tanith just brings much more to the team with good speed, 1-2 range, flgiht utility, earth affinity and triangle attacks to screw over Dheginsea with a Wyrmslayer.

He's not bad by all means. He's useable right when you get him and with his high level he never really falls off hard. Just there are better options.

5.5/10