Rest in Peace, Akira Toriyama...

Lord_Brand

I just found out as well, I guess they just announced it now. Was going to go and make a thread. I actually live in the same city he's from, Nagoya, so there'll be a lot of mourning from the general populace here, I'm sure. I don't think the Dragon Balls will cut it to undo this death.

This feels surreal. I thought he was in the midst of all kinds of projects. Didn't think this would happen without any kind of forewarning.

May he rest in peace.

Danm... I was just checking the new threads here to see if there was anything interesting and was hit with this, I wasn't expecting it too. Not even a fan of DB, but still feel a bit sad. It's a shame that his ongoing stories and projects will be left without and ending, that is one of the things I fear the most (for myself and for any person that writes, specially if you have a lot of fans), and I'm sure it's a fear for anyone that has an ongoing story like this or that is a fan of an ongoing story.

16 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Danm... I was just checking the new threads here to see if there was anything interesting and was hit with this, I wasn't expecting it too. Not even a fan of DB, but still feel a bit sad. It's a shame that his ongoing stories and projects will be left without and ending, that is one of the things I fear the most (for myself and for any person that writes, specially if you have a lot of fans), and I'm sure it's a fear for anyone that has an ongoing story like this or that is a fan of an ongoing story.

I don't know about anything else he had ongoing, but, as I understand it, for Dragon Ball Super, while he's still be credited as creator and co-writer, his contributions to the Super Manga have been largely advisory.

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't know about anything else he had ongoing, but, as I understand it, for Dragon Ball Super, while he's still be credited as creator and co-writer, his contributions to the Super Manga have been largely advisory.

Oh yeah? Tbh I'm not sure what he was doing at the moment (I was sure that DB was one of them though, cause I didn't know he had mostly only an advisor role in the Super manga) but since BrightBow said "I thought he was in the midst of all kinds of projects", I simply assumed he was likely involved in more projects. Whether he was or not, still may he rest in piece, but I hope he managed to finish most (or all) of his unfinished projects, if he had any.

Not sure if it's more sad or happy that he managed to make a creation that lasts longer than his own life (since other people are taking care of it now, I assume, since he wasn't the one of the major contributors as you said), it's a bit of both I guess, and surely a feat worth of respect.

I'm not a Dragon Ball fan and honestly have never seen anything in the Dragon Ball franchise, but this is still saddening to hear. May he rest in peace.

I think, in a time like this, it is very important to not focus on anything he may have left unfinished, but to instead focus on what he did finish. He created a story that had a positive impact on an entire generation; that is something to celebrate. I'm reminded of when I learned about the death of Stephen Hillenburg: the creator of SpongeBob SquarePants, and someone I know pointed out, as words of comfort, that he had created a story that brought joy and laughter to an entire generation of kids and their parents, and that's worth celebrating.

Well that is sad,  Dragonball is huge where I live so it was part of growing up here.  At least he created something that brought happiness to many people.

it's the first thing i read this morning when i woke up, it's really crazy; while i've not been much of a Dragonball fan as of recent years, i used to always watch it on tv as a kid, and i still have DB cards (and lamincards, although i think it's pretty much an italy-only thing) and pencil cases, excercise books and binders that i used in first grade, and i also started drawing by tracing DB illustrations 

of all the tweets i read today, the one who surprised me the most was one which showed a comment made by Toriyama in '82 about Kurumada (author of Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac), where he essentially said he loves Kurumada's manly mangas
but there's also a comment made in 2002 by Kurumada where he says Toriyama is a genius, and also says "if he's a golden egg, then i'm an iron egg, that needs to be constantly polished or it'd start to rust, and that only through effort and dedication he can shine as much as Toriyama"

considering Kurumada is considered by many the single manga author who defined the standards for modern shōnen manga, that's pretty crazy

also, Akihiro Hino, president of Level 5 (Layton series, Inazuma Eleven series etc.) said that when his studio was chosen to develop Dragon Quest VIII, Toriyama himself showed up at Hino's house to discuss about the game

besides this, it simply amazes me how many creative minds, not just manga authors, this single person touched and inspired

Xenoverse 2 players have gathered in tribute at the Dragon Ball Pedestal in Conton City with the Spirit Bomb Co-op Emotes to share their respect and gratitude to him.

He shall be missed.

18 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Never heard of him til now, but you guys all seem to know him so... RIP sir

If you are familiar with: Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Dr Slump, Sand Land, Blue Dragon and so many others you've been familiar with his work.

Edited by Light Strategist

35 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Xenoverse 2 players have gathered in tribute at the Dragon Ball Pedestal in Conton City with the Spirit Bomb Co-op Emotes to share their respect and gratitude to him.

He shall be missed.

If you are familiar with: Dragon Ball, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Dr Slump, Sand Land, Blue Dragon and so many others you've been familiar with his work.

I’ve watched a few Dragon Ball Z episodes... Goku and the sayans and all that. I definitely know Dragon Quest, or Dragon Warrior as we called it for a long time here in the US. Haven’t played Chrono Trigger yet but I want to eventually. 

If this fella Akira’s fingerprints are on all that, then yeah he definitely had an impact on my life 

So passes a legend of the art world. I know most people remember him for his most iconic work Dragon Ball, but as someone that has always been more into games, I will always remember him for his iconic character design in Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest VIII (he may well have done work with other DQ games, but that is the one I most remember from him...).

im deeply heartbroken to learn that one of the greatest influences of my time has been lost. i confess DBZ was my first anime.

looking at this wallpaper in retrospect of a favourite..

202600.jpg

Vale, Akira. God only knows how many creatives were touched and inspired by his works, how much media can in some way be traced back to him.

Edited by Parrhesia

It's always so sad whenever anyone passes, even if we didn't know him he had a profound impact on so many people that alone creates a bond. Even though he was young he also lived many long years both as a creator and not so we can find some solace in the fact that he had lived. I keep thinking about the reputation Dragon Ball has as a meaningless braindead series and I just think about what it means to me, so even if the show had no depth at all it was fun so it meant something to me at least. It brought so much fun to me, my brother, my cousins, my friends, and my parents and so many more people in the world. I like to believe that Toriyama was happy knowing that he has brought so much joy to so many in the world through his work. In the meantime let's hope his friends and family get through this difficult time and remember to cherish the people in your own lives so that they know you love them.

Rest in Peace for Akira Toriyama. I know that Toyotarou is currently working on Dragon Ball Super for the art part. But I don't know if they're going to continue Super Manga due to he's no longer around since he's been writing the manga. But it makes me wondered the upcoming Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate and/or Dragon Quest III HD 2.5D Remake is going to be marked as the last game projects that Akira Toriyama worked on as an artist before his death happened in the Dragon Quest franchise since we know that he's been involved with the Dragon Quest franchise art for around 30 years?

Edited by King Marth 64

11 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Rest in Peace for Akira Toriyama. I know that Toyotarou is currently working on Dragon Ball Super for the art part. But I don't know if they're going to continue Super Manga due to he's no longer around since he's been writing the manga. But it makes me wondered the upcoming Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate and/or Dragon Quest III HD 2.5D Remake is going to be marked as the last game projects that Akira Toriyama worked on as an artist before his death happened in the Dragon Quest franchise since we know that he's been involved with the Dragon Quest franchise art for around 30 years?

keep us posted, King

personally, i wonder if im itching to play Chrono Trigger or Fire Emblem right now and figure out some squad formations..or just for fun? watch some DBZ Abridged, idk

When a Chrono Trigger remaster inevitably happens, there's gonna be a message in the credits honoring Toriyama's memory, probably while "Memories of Crono" plays.

54 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

When a Chrono Trigger remaster inevitably happens, there's gonna be a message in the credits honoring Toriyama's memory, probably while "Memories of Crono" plays.

Something like that would fit perfectly into one of the weird fourth-wall-breaking endings. There's already one where a bunch of different developers talk to you, so it would be easy enough to riff on that and include some time-travel discussion to honour Toriyama, and anyone else who worked on the original game but has died in the intervening decades.