IE is definitely not safe to use now.

The Envoy of the Beginning

I remember a similar story last year and Microsoft deciding it would be really awesome to wait until their regular update day to go and fix the major flaw. Its like hello this is top priority you sort it out now not wait three weeks to bother with a patch...

inb4 browser wars...

Edit: I spoke too soon. The patch will be available in 4 hours time from this post

Use this as a lesson to have a continangy plan regarding browsers if the one you are using has major security problems or glitches. For instance my main browser is Opera but i've got Firefox as a contingency.

Edited by Starwolf_UK

Heh this is exactly when i never use IE. It's slow, bloated, and has security holes. :P

I generally use Opera, because it's faster than firefox, but i have firefox on here too just cause of some of the useful add-ons. *cough*downloading youtube videos*cough* :P

So yeah, EVERYONE ABANDON IE AND GET FIREFOX OR OPERA. :D

Christ, I don't even use IE and I have to say that the dumb floating around this thread is amazing.

Thank god I haven't used IE in ages, because using it now is very scary with this flaw.
Bzzt, wrong. This flaw is no worse than any of the numerous others I've seen in Firefox (Firefox still has issues that can allow you to run unverified code in the chrome). It's "scary" because you don't know what you're doing, nothing more.

(Protip: having your browser save passwords completely fucking misses the point of having passwords to begin with.)

Heh this is exactly when i never use IE. It's slow,
That's funny. IE7 is consistently faster than Firefox by virtually all benchmarks and on par with Webkit or Opera. IE8 is faster than that (and also supports by-tab process segmentation, a feature which only Google Chrome implements). That's slow?
bloated,
You're calling IE bloated? You're telling people Opera is good, and you're calling IE bloated? You're stumping for a browser that has a fucking BitTorrent client built into it and you're calling IE bloated? Are you intentionally stupid, or is this ignorance?
and has security holes. :P
Newsflash--everything's got security holes. There have been advisories out on Opera and Firefox in the past, and will be again.
Saw this a few days ago. They're going to lose quite a bit of popularity with this; let's see if they can deal with the problem well.
No they won't. Especially not with IE8 around the corner. Current builds of IE8 already come pretty close to replacing all other browsers for me (and unlike the...special...folks around here, I actually evaluate a browser based on quality, not on who makes it). Mozilla should be shitting bricks. (I'd say Opera should be too, but Opera users are made in the same mold as Mac devotees, and thus cling to their toy of choice no matter what.) Edited by Blacken

crap i do like IE

You like being ignorant too. By the time you made that post the patch that fixed the problem should have been out. In fact I even said when the patch was due, i'll just quote myself...

I worte that for a reason. Not for it to ignored so someone can go "oh noes I can't use teh browzors" 2 hours after the patch that fixes the bloody problem was supposed to come out sorry, I wasn't hitting F5 for the evening, I was out that is why I wrote should of and supposed to.

Thank you for ignoring me. I'm used to it.

No they won't. Especially not with IE8 around the corner. Current builds of IE8 already come pretty close to replacing all other browsers for me (and unlike the...special...folks around here, I actually evaluate a browser based on quality, not on who makes it). Mozilla should be shitting bricks. (I'd say Opera should be too, but Opera users are made in the same mold as Mac devotees, and thus cling to their toy of choice no matter what.)

If IE8 can run on a single-core 1.4GHz processer and 512MB RAM as well as Opera can then I'll see what it has to offer. If it is going to take hours to load and grind to halt as soon as you do anything than its power to shit bricks will be worthless for me.

I disagree with the mac devotee comment (prehaps "users are mostly..." would have been better) as if that were the case I wouldn't have gone back to Internet Explorer after trying Opera back in the Opera 3.0 days (not sure about the version number it was about 2002). But I know what you mean about browser fanbases...it seems Chrome is the only browser that lacks an annoying fanbase that throws their browser down your throat and cities a bunch of mimicked features as being the main reason.

Edited by Starwolf_UK

(I'd say Opera should be too, but Opera users are made in the same mold as Mac devotees, and thus cling to their toy of choice no matter what.)

I always thought of Mozilla as the analogous counterpart to the Mac fanatic. Sure, I guess Opera fans are perhaps a little more zealous (lol I use Opera), but it's a little too marginal to be compared to Mac's popularity, which projects an image of young cool hipsters who are "trendy", an image I'd mostly associate to people who use Firefox. I see Opera being more like the person who uses Linux just in terms of minority usage but fanatical following.