Red Fox of Fire's character review topic (Complete)

Florete

As I recall, the last time I did 4-E-5, I had him use Rescue to set up a Blood Tide powered Triangle Attack, but even though I didn't have Fortify, it was easy to survive the first round. I think that going into the second enemy phase, things are more dangerous, but with all the Cover tiles and what have you, Turn 1 shouldn't need Ashera.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need the stick for Turn 1. You'll probably need it for Turn 2, after Ashera pops her first AoE. You'll definitely need some healing before you actually tangle with Ashera herself, at any rate.

Either way, still not terribly useful, but.

You don't need the stick for Turn 1. You'll probably need it for Turn 2, after Ashera pops her first AoE. You'll definitely need some healing before you actually tangle with Ashera herself, at any rate.

Either way, still not terribly useful, but.

I use it to heal from Aurora on turn 1 in preparation for the AoE, and then at the start of turn 2 in preparation for getting hit by more aurora. Ashera is then dead so there is no worry about hp for Ashera's single target magic attack with 28 AS.

• 1 month later...

I never saw any mention of Pelleas being the only person who can use Balberith before Ashera. That has got to have some point in his favor.

No it doesn't, considering that we're using him as a healbot. It also requires we promote him, and even then his AS cap of 31 is going to impair him from doubling.

I never saw any mention of Pelleas being the only person who can use Balberith before Ashera. That has got to have some point in his favor.

Not really. It's accuracy is bad. Pelleas is frequently better served using a thunder forge than he is Balberith. Also, unless you are wanting to give him an arms scroll he has to use his sucky dark magic spells a bunch of times. Even with the scroll, though, Balberith is bad. Would you give special credit to a unit that can use a broom? (assuming said broom doesn't have insanely high attack for no apparent reason)

also, mega-necro. But I love this topic so I don't see a need to close it.

also, mega-necro. But I love this topic so I don't see a need to close it.

Wouldn't this count as a project thread and so not be under that rule? Especially if I want to update something, which I might one day.

Even if it were, you're free to ask a mod to re-open it for you when doing an update.

Basically that's the idea. It's your thread so if you were updating you could absolutely necro (or double post) as necessary. But when someone else does so we tend to close things and you can ask us to reopen it if you ever feel the need. I don't know what the mods used to do but that seems to be what we decided on for how we play it now.

but i'm not closing this one 'cause I like it.

I'd like to point out that Lyre should be the only one with 0.0 as their rating.

Fiona's got some minimal un-priced posisitive contributions like ferrying ppl and her combat is fixed easier than Lyre's at a lesser price named Javelin forges.

Edited by Queen_Elincia

or a steel lance forge could do, I'm just saying its easier to do that on her than fix Lyre's combat.

unless you dump an energy ring on Lyre.

Lyre needs a great deal of work to make her usable whereas Fiona doesnt need half as much. I think this topic is more about efficiency and HM rankings so thats probably why Fiona is so so very low. On EM or NM, getting Fiona to at least a 5 to 6 rating isnt very difficult, but i imagine on HM is nigh impossible or just too frustrating to deal with when other guys can be better with no effort.

• 1 month later...

I think that Micaiah needs to move down. Her chip damage is pretty underwhelming against anything but Armours and Knights, and she's weakened by movement issues for almost her entire career. I wouldn't put her above even Ranulf.

Oscar (T) should go up. with 22STR/23SPD, he 1-rounds some enemies in 3-P and 3-1 with the Steel Greatlance. For reference, he has 36ATK/23AS to Ike's... 36ATK/23AS. While he eventually hits a brick wall in the form of his bad tier 2 caps, he can use that to BEXP his strength/defense or even take a Crown. And he has an eternal +2 move over Ike, as well as access to the Horseslayer and Brave Lance.

I think Aran needs to be lower.

Okay.

I think that Micaiah needs to move down. Her chip damage is pretty underwhelming against anything but Armours and Knights, and she's weakened by movement issues for almost her entire career. I wouldn't put her above even Ranulf.

It's hardly even "chip" for part 1. Even when it's not against Armors or Mounts she does a lot of damage, so I'd disagree in calling it underwhelming. Take a random 30 HP/3 Res Fighter in 1-5, for example. If Micaiah has 12 Magic (level 7-8) w/Thani and her Sothe support she does 19 damage. That can easily allow someone like Edward to kill without taking a counter.

And, movement issues? For a while the rest of her team consists of other 5 move units as well, and then in part 3 it pretty much doesn't even matter anymore due to both the map design and Physic.

Oscar (T) should go up. with 22STR/23SPD, he 1-rounds some enemies in 3-P and 3-1 with the Steel Greatlance. For reference, he has 36ATK/23AS to Ike's... 36ATK/23AS. While he eventually hits a brick wall in the form of his bad tier 2 caps, he can use that to BEXP his strength/defense or even take a Crown. And he has an eternal +2 move over Ike, as well as access to the Horseslayer and Brave Lance.

That's a good point. I'll look further into it.

It's hardly even "chip" for part 1. Even when it's not against Armors or Mounts she does a lot of damage, so I'd disagree in calling it underwhelming. Take a random 30 HP/3 Res Fighter in 1-5, for example. If Micaiah has 12 Magic (level 7-8) w/Thani and her Sothe support she does 19 damage. That can easily allow someone like Edward to kill without taking a counter.

When is Sothe going to be in range? How often is Micaiah going to be fighting the enemies on the map with the lowest resistance?

And sure, it's useful in a handful of spots, like clearing out starting areas in 1-5 and 1-8. But does it deserve an 8.0?

And, movement issues? For a while the rest of her team consists of other 5 move units as well, and then in part 3 it pretty much doesn't even matter anymore due to both the map design and Physic.

The only other 5 move units are Meg, Laura, and Ilyana for the ~2 chapters before you can Seal her. And quite frankly, I'm not happy with the 6 move units either. I don't really have much issue with her in Part 3 and 4. But I think her mid to late Part 1 is awful.

Another thing in your Micaiah rating I disagree with is how you said she was good for taking down bosses. Leaving aside the issue of getting her to the boss in the first place, most bosses will just kill her. Djur and Jarod OHKO her. She needs to be level 15 to avoid getting doubled by Laverton. Even at level 15, Radmin doubles and 3HKOes her. The only bosses she's good for are Burton and Zaitan.

I'd like to dog-pile on this ludicrous use of the word "chip". If someone makes two-thirds of a unit's HP evaporate like dew on a breezy morning, in one hit, I believe that this is more accurately called rocking their world.

I generally use 'chip' to refer to weakening an enemy from 2-range for another unit to finish. Although I suppose it does conjure up the image of Leonardo/Rolf plinking away at an enemy for single-digit damage.

Edited by Mr. Know-it-all-Anouleth

When is Sothe going to be in range? How often is Micaiah going to be fighting the enemies on the map with the lowest resistance?

1. 3 spaces is not that difficult to do, especially in the smaller maps.

2. + the highest HP.

The only other 5 move units are Meg, Laura, and Ilyana for the ~2 chapters before you can Seal her. And quite frankly, I'm not happy with the 6 move units either. I don't really have much issue with her in Part 3 and 4. But I think her mid to late Part 1 is awful.

Yeah, forgot that physical foot units are 6 move. Oops. Still, I don't find her mobility to be such an issue for most of part 1.

Another thing in your Micaiah rating I disagree with is how you said she was good for taking down bosses. Leaving aside the issue of getting her to the boss in the first place, most bosses will just kill her. Djur and Jarod OHKO her. She needs to be level 15 to avoid getting doubled by Laverton. Even at level 15, Radmin doubles and 3HKOes her. The only bosses she's good for are Burton and Zaitan.

Zaitan: Needs +2 Mag to kill in one hit.

Burton: Same.

Pain & Agony: Does more damage than anyone that isn't Sothe, easily, who can't be in two places at once.

Wystan: Doesn't really matter anyway.

Laverton: Needs 13 Mag, level 8-9, which is easy, to kill in one hit.

Djur: Needs him to be weakened, but the only one who can do really good damage anyway is Muarim, whom you both don't want getting the boss kill and might not even be transformed.

Radmin: I honestly thought she was better against this guy.

Jarod: I thought I'd mentioned that he was the one she couldn't really handle, but I guess I missed it.

Maybe I oversimplified in my review, but she's still very helpful against a good number of them, especially if you don't want someone like Sothe taking all of them.

And sure, it's useful in a handful of spots, like clearing out starting areas in 1-5 and 1-8. But does it deserve an 8.0?

That alone doesn't, but her abilities over the course of the game warrant 7.5-8.5 in my book.