FE Pairings

PenandPaper71

On the contrary, I have yet to see anything that I think really hints at Ike/Soren.

I also once again agree with Narga.

Edited by Eternal Bond

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the contrary, I have yet to see anything that I think really hints at Ike/Soren.

I also once again agree with Narga.

When it comes to Ike, it seems the only thing you're capable of seeing is just Ike x Elincia. If someone were to go back in time and change the script so that Ike x Soren is hinted more than Heather being a lesbian, who knows, you may still see just Ike x Elincia.

No, I've actually gone and searched for any evidence. Just because I like Ike/Elincia doesn't mean I'm not capable of seeing evidence for other pairings.

On topic: Karin x Eyrios. Amusing how she'd easily have the guy whipped. I prefer Fergus x Karin though.

Karin: Hi, random general I never met before

Eyrios: Hi.

Karin: Join our army, please?

Eyrios: Will I be promised nobility?

Karin: Sure!

I lol'd

And also, I'm surprised nobody suggested IkeXSoren or IkeXRanulf.

No, I've actually gone and searched for any evidence. Just because I like Ike/Elincia doesn't mean I'm not capable of seeing evidence for other pairings.

So... the fact that Soren only really responds well to Ike isn't big enough evidence for you?

So... the fact that Soren only really responds well to Ike isn't big enough evidence for you?

No. Ike freaking saved Soren's life, got him a job, and got him an income. I'd respond best to Ike if I were in Soren's position too. Besides, even if what you're saying did hint at Soren feeling something more for Ike, it's only talking about Soren. It's not saying Ike returns it.

No. Ike freaking saved Soren's life, got him a job, and got him an income. I'd respond best to Ike if I were in Soren's position too. Besides, even if what you're saying did hint at Soren feeling something more for Ike, it's only talking about Soren. It's not saying Ike returns it.

But Ike doesn't DENY it. He basically denied Elincia in PoR with his whole 'LOL nobility sux' phase. Not the case with Soren.

But they hug in one of the base convos.

But they hug in one of the base convos.

Men hugging = gay?

Gee, guess I should stay away from my brother/father/uncle if I don't want people to think an incorrect thing about me.

Men hugging = gay?

No, it's not necessarily that but this is the only time Ike shows strong emotions towards any person.(Not counting when Greil died, who is his father which is completely understandable)

lulz, forgot to add a "his" after who is.

Edited by Joey

I will agree that the IkexSoren unlockable scene at the end of RD is the most emotionally intimate scene Ike is involved in (except things related to Greil's death). It far surpasses any scenes he ever had with Elincia. Whether it has a romantic undertone to it or not is more debatable.

I will agree that the IkexSoren unlockable scene at the end of RD is the most emotionally intimate scene Ike is involved in (except things related to Greil's death). It far surpasses any scenes he ever had with Elincia. Whether it has a romantic undertone to it or not is more debatable.

Yeah and remember this is also FE10 Ike we're talking about, who has less of a personality than FE9 Ike. Which means even more.

Just because they hug doesn't mean they are gay. And I know this from experience. Ike gave Soren a hug to cheer him up when he was in tears because they are close friends. Nothing more. The same was done for me by a girl back in high school once and I am a girl as well. Were we lesbian? No.

Besides this, I also felt that Ike is like a brother figure to him because Soren does look a lot younger than him (even though he's really probably much older). And brothers hug one another too.

But Ike doesn't DENY it. He basically denied Elincia in PoR with his whole 'LOL nobility sux' phase. Not the case with Soren.

What? No he didn't. Otherwise that would have been rude and Ike surely knows that. Besides, Ike lets go of his hate for nobles later on when he meets Sigrun, Geoffrey, etc. He merely hates their lifestyle now. Also, he never denied being straight either.

Edited by Eternal Bond

Let's see...

Ike shares more emotionally intimate moments with Soren than with Elincia.

Ike has a paired ending with Soren while he chose to leave his Lord status as well as all of Crimea (Tellius too was it?) including Elincia, but Soren's one of the 2 possible characters that leaves with Ike.

Think of it what you will but it looks more like Soren and Elincia have a one-sided love with Ike and yet Soren's the only one of the 2 whom Ike doesn't leave in the end as well the one person he's most attached to.

Ike x Soren is more likely than Ike x Elincia.

What? No he didn't. Otherwise that would have been rude and Ike surely knows that. Besides, Ike lets go of his hate for nobles later on when he meets Sigrun, Geoffrey, etc. He merely hates their lifestyle now. Also, he never denied being straight either.

Yet despite all that, he doesn't end up with Elincia. Either the guy's extremely oblivious to Elincia liking him or he's just not interested in her and decides to go off with his buddy Soren.

Edited by Speedwagon

The latter actually being probable.

Did I mention another favorite pairing of mine is Asvel x Axe to the face? Right there next to Merric x Axe to the face.

What about Edward x Axe to the face? He definitely sees more of than than Merric.

And Ike could have some manlove with Zelgius. He surely has the hots for his teacher.

Edited by Dio

Let's see...

Ike shares more emotionally intimate moments with Soren than with Elincia.

Ike still has more than one emotional and possibly romantic moment with Elincia as well, even if none are quite as emotional as that SINGLE non-romantic moment with Soren.

Ike has a paired ending with Soren while he chose to leave his Lord status as well as all of Crimea (Tellius too was it?) including Elincia, but Soren's one of the 2 possible characters that leaves with Ike.

Think of it what you will but it looks more like Soren and Elincia have a one-sided love with Ike and yet Soren's the only one of the 2 whom Ike doesn't leave in the end as well the one person he's most attached to.

Ike could have left for more than one reason. Not everything has to be stated right out. Also, by this logic, IkexRanulf would be more likely as well, yet it obviously isn't.

And nothing says Ike is the most attached to Soren. In fact, I'd say Ike cares more about his sister than Soren because she's family and the only family he has left.

Ike x Soren is more likely than Ike x Elincia.

And I still disagree.

Yet despite all that, he doesn't end up with Elincia. Either the guy's extremely oblivious to Elincia liking him or he's just not interested in her and decides to go off with his buddy Soren.

Which is quite strange and suspicious, if you ask me. Normally IS at least gives us the option to pair up the main lord with a major female character, like Marth and Caeda, Hector and Lyn, Eliwood and Ninian, Roy and Lilina, etc. Yet this time they didn't. Or are they still going to? ;)

Ike still has more than one emotional and possibly romantic moment with Elincia as well, even if none are quite as emotional as that SINGLE non-romantic moment with Soren.

Grasping, quality over quantity. More "possibly romantic" moments does not automatically = pairing.

As for how "romantic" his conversation with the 2 are, I'm not gonna bother arguing opinions on this.

Ike could have left for more than one reason. Not everything has to be stated right out. Also, by this logic, IkexRanulf would be more likely as well, yet it obviously isn't.

"This logic" being that Soren likely in a one-sided love relationship with Ike and is one of the 2 people Ike chooses to leave with. Ranulf misses the former.

And nothing says Ike is the most attached to Soren. In fact, I'd say Ike cares more about his sister than Soren because she's family and the only family he has left.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Soren (A support with Ike)

When peace had settled on the land, Soren packed lightly and set off with the only person he had ever trusted.

Of course, you could say that "maybe Ike asked if Mist wanted to come along but she chose to stay with Boyd" but then that'd just be no different than a "What if" vs what's literally printed in the game. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I really really really hate seeing the bolded... it's everywhere I go and it's never any more valid than the last time I've seen/heard it -__-. But whatever, that's stuff I won't get much further into in this thread.

And I still disagree.

I'll just leave this here:

When it comes to Ike, it seems the only thing you're capable of seeing is just Ike x Elincia. If someone were to go back in time and change the script so that Ike x Soren is hinted more than Heather being a lesbian, who knows, you may still see just Ike x Elincia.

Thus, this may be my last response in regards to this.

Which is quite strange and suspicious, if you ask me. Normally IS at least gives us the option to pair up the main lord with a major female character, like Marth and Caeda, Hector and Lyn, Eliwood and Ninian, Roy and Lilina, etc. Yet this time they didn't. Or are they still going to? ;)

... I'll just pass on this.

As I said before. Just because I prefer Ike/Elincia doesn't mean I can't see evidence for other pairings. I can see evidence for Geoffrey loving Elincia, can't I? I simply don't see Elincia loving him back, but loving Ike instead, is all.

Ike and Soren are pretty close to one another, I'll admit. But it is not necessarily romantic. Heck, even Ike and Elincia's conversations aren't necessarily romantic. It's just my opinion that some sounded kinda like it.

Edited by Eternal Bond

Just because they hug doesn't mean they are gay. And I know this from experience. Ike gave Soren a hug to cheer him up when he was in tears because they are close friends. Nothing more. The same was done for me by a girl back in high school once and I am a girl as well. Were we lesbian? No.

It still counts for something when Ike shows literally no emotion towards anyone else, including Elincia.

I simply don't see Elincia loving him back, but loving Ike instead, is all.

I can say the same thing about Elinica and Ike too. I don't see Ike loving Elincia back.

As I've said before once again, I thought Ike showed emotion towards her a few times, particularly during their A support convo:

"Ike: You employed me as a mercenary. I'll give you your money's worth! ...No. It means more than that... To my last breath, I will do all that I can to ensure your dream...Elincia.

Elincia: Oh, Ike."

Every time I read this, I get a funny feeling in my chest. The very same feeling I get when I'm talking to my boyfriend about him and me being together and such. And every time I get this feeling, it involves romance in some way. I really don't think it's mere coincidence here.

And to be honest, I kept seeing IkexElincia long before I actually decided to support that pairing.

Edited by Eternal Bond

Feel free to disregard this post.

Besides this, I also felt that Ike is like a brother figure to him because Soren does look a lot younger than him (even though he's really probably much older). And brothers hug one another too.

You do realize how quickly you're dismissing this, right? And how I can simply dismiss everything you call a 'hint' in Ike/Elincia in the same way, right?

Girls act differently than boys. Even if they did act in the similar situation as you claimed, Ike is not outgoing or 'affectionate'. He's serious and straightforward. He never once hugged any other character in either game that I am aware of. Not Boyd, not Titania, not any of the Greil Mercenaries (of whom are his closest companions). Not even his own sister when Greil died.

The build up of trust since they 'first met' again in chapter 4 up until Support A was Soren spilling his guts in front of the one person he didn't want to lose trust from. A very tender scene. Ike gave him comfort.

Ike would not have become that physical with any other character and possibly even Soren himself had this scene had played out at an earlier time. The fastest time to get A support is Chapter 23, The Great Bridge, where several events can lead to one hell of coincidental chapter. Ike/Soren A, 'Ikey-poo', and Petrine vs Soren.

Every other conversation was Ike picking up more habits of his (Soren's nicer than he lets on; that he could use more sleep; that he's very practical) and worrying over him (Blood Runs Red; A Strange Land; A Guiding Wind; The Feral Frontier). Ike looks to be mostly comfortable only when Soren is around. The vice-versa doesn't even have to be said.

[spoiler=CH11]

Ike: ...

Ranulf: My goodness, the nastier the truth, the blunter he gets... Quite a

delightful staff officer you have there.

Ike: He, um...he has an undeniable streak of severity in him but...but this?

Something's bothering him, that's for sure.

Titania: It's to be expected. Even I'm a bit shocked by this place. Can they

truly be as placid as they appear? Soren's a very empathetic young

man. The emotions of this place may have proven to be too much for

him.

[spoiler=CH12]

Nasir: Much of what seems good and evil is simply a matter of perspective,

Ike. Many conditions affect our judgment. Drawing a definitive line is

nigh impossible.

Ike: Nasir! Where have you been? You vanished without a trace.

Nasir: I am uncomfortable around dragons. I thought it would be better if I

stayed below in my cabin. My apologies.

Ike: Now that you mention it, Soren seems to have disappeared as well. Have

you seen him?

Nasir: Perhaps he's feeling nauseated. For one unaccustomed to sea travel,

it's not uncommon.

Ike: Right... I think I'll check up on him later.

Nasir: The wind is picking up. I believe I will go and check on the condition

of our sails. Keep yourselves warm up here. It's a chill wind that

blows in these waters.

[spoiler=CH13]

Nasir: "Beneath her"? That is somewhat harsh, don't you think?

Soren: Harsh, perhaps, but it's true. Clothing it in sweet words will not hide

its bitterness, will it?

Ike: Soren, even I would question the tactfulness of your words.

Soren: I will try to be more diplomatic.

-Chapter End-

Ike: Soren... About what I said this morning...

Soren: Yes?

Ike: About the way you phrase things.

Soren: I... I ought to apologize for that.

Ike: No, don't apologize. I know you. I know it's been bothering you, hasn't

it?

Soren: No. Well...

Ike: Don't take it personally. I'm no better, you know. Your ability to speak

plainly the things others won't is part of what makes you brilliant.

Others are too bound by courtesy... With you, I trust that what you say

is exactly what you think.

Soren: Well...yes... Thank you, Ike.

The two also tease each other. Soren will never do this with any other person, ever. The writers at IS made it very obvious he only felt comfortable around Ike. The writers made this intentional.

A part of me is thinking that perhaps Ike having A support with Soren is the canonical flow of the story. The most obvious is that the two have a base conversation in RD that requires A in PoR and A in the current file (iirc). Less obvious are the connections within Path of Radiance itself.

[spoiler=Remember this?]

Ike: Tell me, Soren, are you all right?

Soren: Hm?

Ike: Recently-- ever since we reached Begnion, in fact-- you've seemed

depressed.

Soren: Is...is that so? How odd. Well, I can think of nothing specific that's

bothering me.

Ike: Well, if you say so. So, it's time for the desert! Which is the best

direction to enter from?

Soren: ...

Ike: Soren?

Soren: ...Eh? Yes, what is it?

Ike: All right, I know there's something going on!

Soren: I'm... I'm sorry... I was...thinking. What is it you wanted?

Ike/Soren Support A

Ike: Wait, wait. Hold it a second. Let me make sure that I follow you... You're part laguz?

Soren: Yeah. This mark on my forehead is the proof. I learned about it while researching ancient books at the Mainal Cathedral. I always thought it was a birthmark. Others thought that it was the mark of a Spirit Charmer.

Ike: What's a Spirit Charmer?

Soren: Magic comes from interaction with spirits. If you let one into your body, it will give you tremendous power...for a price. That's why the old sage was so interested in me. He thought I had struck such a deal. But instead, I was just a filthy Branded.

Their supports also begin to lead into the subject of Brandeds and Spirit Charmers. Apparently a big plotline in Radiant Dawn. The only other supports that help the understanding of the two subjects are Calil/Tormod and Stefan/Soren.

Neither of them either being major characters or having any sort of major role in Radiant Dawn.

Besides Ike and Soren. Soren, apparently, has had even more interesting background information added into him to the point that even he would have been an acceptable mage lord. Now if only they had added more information on Titania and I would have accepted the argument for 'It's because they are his advisers' that they get such large roles.

So why, exactly, does Soren have such a large role anyway? My guess is that IS made it intentional for their closeness. My personal opinion is that their relationship is built off of trust more than any other feeling that can cross the boarder into romance depending on the player.

Yeah, Ike really cares about Mist. They're siblings you know? Blood is thicker than water after all. Ike definitely cares more about Mist than he does Sore... oh wait...

Ike left her behind too.

And Soren's ending? He thinks about Ike for the remainder of his life in both of his endings.

Intelligent Systems would not do this with any other ending. Elincia never thinks about Ike ever again, she's busy being a queen and running her country. Ike just leaves.

Maybe it's something higher than just 'oh Elincia got married (in the case of Geoffrey/Elincia), I shouldn't interfere' and more along the likes of 'Being a hero, a person above god, will cause more greed and corruption among the common man. I am tired of the problems of the nobility from the corruption of power. Let them solve their own problems, because I can only make it worse seeing as now they'll see me as a god. I'll go to someplace where no one knows me, maybe then I'll get some peace of mind.'

To be honest with you, I don't see any hint of emotion in any of those conversations you showed me. Not a bit. I never did before I started liking Ike/Elincia (or before I even started seeing them as a pairing for that matter), and I never will. I also don't see what conversations about spirit charmers and Branded have to do with how close Ike and Soren are. Soren is loyal to and trusts Ike because Ike practically gave him a life to live, and nothing more. Ike probably feels so comfortable around him likewise because they've known one another for so long. As Ike gets to know Elincia better, he would logically begin to feel the same way towards her, I'm guessing.

Also, as stated before, Mist could have simply decided not to go with Ike even if Ike asked her to. Especially since it's said she had feelings for Boyd and vice versa.

And when did it say Elincia never thinks of Ike again? I don't recall this at all. Also, the reasons Ike left Tellius are never actually specified, only that he went to explore unknown lands and never returned (which I thought was stupid. The not returning part, I mean). For all we know, he could have left out of heartbreak because Elincia married someone else, or he could have thought "Meh, screw Tellius now, I need a new land to pwn."

Edited by Eternal Bond

To be honest with you, I don't see any hint of emotion in any of those conversations you showed me. Not a bit. I never did before I started liking Ike/Elincia (or before I even started seeing them as a pairing for that matter), and I never will. I also don't see what conversations about spirit charmers and Branded have to do with how close Ike and Soren are. Soren is loyal to and trusts Ike because Ike practically gave him a life to live, and nothing more.

Is that all Soren feels? You're very willing to conjecture about any possible romantic hint between Ike and Elincia, but very quick to dismiss the possibility that these feelings could be in Ike and Soren's relationship.

Ike probably feels so comfortable around him likewise because they've known one another for so long. As Ike gets to know Elincia better, he would logically begin to feel the same way towards her, I'm guessing.

Certainly there's loyalty and trust there yeah. What I'm not seeing how and Ike and Elincia are true lovers forever and Soren and Ike are very clearly not.

Also, as stated before, Mist could have simply decided not to go with Ike even if Ike asked her to. Especially since it's said she had feelings for Boyd and vice versa.

Then why couldn't Boyd come along? Perhaps you might say because of Oscar and Rolf, but why couldn't they and the other GMs accompnay them as well? There isn't really a good answer for this, other than perhaps Ike feels more comofortable spedning his life with Soren than anyone else.

And when did it say Elincia never thinks of Ike again? I don't recall this at all.

The point is that neither of Elincia's endings mention Ike, both of Soren's do.

Also, the reasons Ike left Tellius are never actually specified, only that he went to explore unknown lands and never returned (which I thought was stupid. The not returning part, I mean). For all we know, he could have left out of heartbreak because Elincia married someone else, or he could have thought "Meh, screw Tellius now, I need a new land to pwn."

It says "after stability returned" not "after Elincia gets married". This implies that Ike was just done with Tellius, anything relating to Elincia is pure conjecture and not very well supported (if Ike likes Elincia so much, why doesn't he hang the palace after he becomes a noble, after rescuing Lucia etc.? If he really liked her you think he would actually like to be around her. This requires some rubbish explanation of how all the nobles hated Ike or something.)