Best/Worst in the Series: Round 58

NinjaMonkey

Not many options,

Best: Rolf, good all around, BTA, access to FE9!Longbow and the Double Bow (requiring him if you want to use it in FE9), and the double-edgedsided bow of being level 1. Honorable mention: Rebecca, for her great avoid

Worst: Innes, I have no idea why he's forgotten, maybe because Neimi is usually promoted to ranger and he's left as only ballista manager. He's the best definition of average in the game, not the worst archer in the series. Dishonorable mentions: Wolt and FE11!Gordin, but they at least have time to grow.

To be honest, I don't see access to Longbows and the Double Bow as being a good thing in FE9 since they suck, very badly. I mean, really? An S rank weapon that's all of one point stronger than a D rank weapon???

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you're going to tell me Wolt doesn't have heavy competition for CEXP he really wants so that his chipping doesn't utterly fail? Enemies in HM have really high HP early.

The difference is that Wolt's chip damage is actually useful. Rolf, on the other hand is in a game where, other than mages, who can counter him, enemies actually have some degree of durability, and it's often to the point where his chip damage doesn't make much of a difference.

NO ONE insults the Green Skittle like that!

Tomas has three things going for him:

1. Better Strength and Speed growth (Strength by 5%, Speed by 15%)

2. Better base Strength than a level 8 Gordin (Gaggles will hit that at level 11 ON AVERAGE)

3. Starts with C bows, which means he can START with a Longbow.

As a weird bonus, if you decide to reclass him a la me (Cavalier->Dracoknight), he'll gain Resistance. Seriously.

Gaggle's is most likely to get C or even B bows by the time Tomas shows up. Longbows don't show up until 17x, so lol no advantage over Gaggles. Growths are hardly an advantage, as he has fail bases only slightly beat base Gordin, except 11 chapters later, and Gordin can probably score a promotion before he shows up.

Edited by Lancelot

Last time I checked, Innes doesn't have green hair.

That and Innes is actually not bad. Even if he had green hair, he'd still beat out half of the people who can grow since he's useful right off the bat.

If his hair color (I think it's called asparagus or something close) doesn't count as a shade of green, then a shade of what is it? Gray? Blue? Pink? Orange?

Hineas.gif As I said he's not the worst unit, just the meh'est of the green haired archers (in my opinion) for coming promoted with average bases/growths/weapons/personality.

To be honest, I don't see access to Longbows and the Double Bow as being a good thing in FE9 since they suck, very badly. I mean, really? An S rank weapon that's all of one point stronger than a D rank weapon???

XP forgot that part of the Double Bow on FE9, I haven't gotten to it in that game - my mistake, that now changes my options for when I really play allway through. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not many options,

Best: Rolf, good all around, BTA, access to FE9!Longbow and the Double Bow (requiring him if you want to use it in FE9), and the double-edgedsided bow of being level 1. Honorable mention: Rebecca, for her great avoid

Worst: Innes, I have no idea why he's forgotten, maybe because Neimi is usually promoted to ranger and he's left as only ballista manager. He's the best definition of average in the game, not the worst archer in the series. Dishonorable mentions: Wolt and FE11!Gordin, but they at least have time to grow.

Innes has grey hair, and unlike lolf, is actually really damn good. He's a prepromote who doesn't NEED to grow.

It's grey in the Official art.

I go by official art.

You have no idea how useful Innes was even just as an NPC, then. On my Jehanna run he was taking care of things like a boss before Eirika got there.

Gaggle's is most likely to get C or even B bows by the time Tomas shows up. Longbows don't show up until 17x, so lol no advantage over Gaggles. Growths are hardly an advantage, as he has fail bases only slightly beat base Gordin, except 11 chapters later, and Gordin can probably score a promotion before he shows up.

That's assuming you're willing to stick with someone who loses 3 AS to a Steel Bow at level 1. The Wifi shop sells Longbows, so it's plenty possible to get it before Chapter 12.

I can hack out averages, just to prove that Gordin's slightly lower growths hurt whatever lead he has in availability, but that would be overkill.

Also, how much are you abusing Gordin? Even in my most abusive runs, the first promotion isn't until Chapter 16 or so.

Gordin's chip is helpful early on, since he won't be touched since he dies if anything touches him. Tomas can't really do a whole lot, now you've got better units than him.

I don't use really Gordin, but an early promotion wouldn't hurt to fix up his offense.

If Gordin can still chip by the time he hits Chapter 12, then my Skittle can, too (seeing as they're somewhat similar, stat-wise).

. . .or it could be I'm just really salty, because Gordin got his first Strength level-up AS A LEVEL 9 BISHOP.

It's grey in the Official art.

I go by official art.

You have no idea how useful Innes was even just as an NPC, then. On my Jehanna run he was taking care of things like a boss before Eirika got there.

I am not considering the Official art since his never appears in-game and was released 3 years later. But if the game itself is not considered in the poll, then FE11 Gordin would be my vote. I just consider Innes meh'ish because he isn't outstanding at anything and his competition's more useful than him, especially by the time he comes (you could quick-promote Gerik to ranger and he'd still be better than an Innes with 3 more levelups). In game he can help, like most FE8 units, but he's average and remains average at least to me.

Best: Rebecca. If you can train her to level 12ish by Genesis, the girl becomes a goddess for the next bunch of chapters.

Worst: This is a hard one. Gordin's pretty bad, Rolf has his good and terrible moments but I'm going to have to vote for Wolt. When Bors is a better 2 Range person than you, you've got a problem.

Best: FE10 Rolf (He wins because he didn't end up completely skill screwed and unable to hit WYVERNS!!! like a certain green-haired archer from FE7)

Worst: FE11 Tomas (No use at all, whatsoever. I know that PEMN, but Gordin and FE9 Rolf kicked major butt for me. Tomas is completely useless)

Nomination: Best/Worst Artwork

I am not considering the Official art since his never appears in-game and was released 3 years later. But if the game itself is not considered in the poll, then FE11 Gordin would be my vote. I just consider Innes meh'ish because he isn't outstanding at anything and his competition's more useful than him, especially by the time he comes (you could quick-promote Gerik to ranger and he'd still be better than an Innes with 3 more levelups). In game he can help, like most FE8 units, but he's average and remains average at least to me.

FE8 also uses a darker shade of green for black (see Joshua's clothes, and Morva's hair). It's just how sprites work.

FE8 HM is easy enough that Seth can solo the game and it'd be easier than playing the game normally. No joke.

So basically, all other characters are now worthless?

It doesn't matter what averages are. As long as they do the job, they do the job.

Not to mention Innes has auto-A right off the bat. Gerik is better Hero'd for high-Skl handaxing that never misses, and low bow-rank, while he's a very good candidate for Audhulma with his only real competition being Seth and Joshua.

Neimi's earlygame is practically limited to chipping anyway.

Edited by GLORY TO JEHANNA

The difference is that Wolt's chip damage is actually useful. Rolf, on the other hand is in a game where, other than mages, who can counter him, enemies actually have some degree of durability, and it's often to the point where his chip damage doesn't make much of a difference.

No, it isn't. In Hard Mode (FE6), you aren't really relying on anyone but Marcus or Dieck to tender up enemies. And I won't mention this again: FE6 has more durable enemies. And yet you keep implying the FE9 enemies are more durable.

Well, maybe he might get a few earlygame LOLdiers, which he is borderline on doubling. They have an overall similiar start. Neither seems to be worse. It's getting them out of that hole that might need to be judged.

Edited by Soul

FE8 also uses a darker shade of green for black (see Joshua's clothes, and Morva's hair). It's just how sprites work.

FE8 HM is easy enough that Seth can solo the game and it'd be easier than playing the game normally. No joke.

So basically, all other characters are now worthless?

It doesn't matter what averages are. As long as they do the job, they do the job.

Not to mention Innes has auto-A right off the bat. Gerik is better Hero'd for high-Skl handaxing that never misses, and low bow-rank, while he's a very good candidate for Audhulma with his only real competition being Seth and Joshua.

Neimi's earlygame is practically limited to chipping anyway.

I know about the sahde thing, but unlike Carlyle's/Joshua's clothes, Innes' 2 shades of greens look like green to me. Plus his battle sprite's also looks more green than gray. Yeah, I know the game's easy and no, no FE character is worthless, just less useful or less powerful. Averages are averages, they're just numbers, but when it comes down to units at same level, isn't the unit with more damage, more accuracy (not that it helps much), more avoid, and more resistance, better than an unit with 3 more HP/Def. And yes I know Gerik's better a hero (I always make him that), I was just showing that even an unpromoted Level 10 bow-accessible unit (on his same chapter eirika mode) is better and more useful than him. Add his snarky attitude, and I like Innes less. I don't mind if you love him and have an altar of him on your room, but I don't like him and for the purpose of this poll (best/worst green haired archers/snipers/marksmen) I consider him the worst on the games I've played (which excludes 1-3 and 12). YMMV

Also does Midir/Midayle count for this poll?