SF music geek club?

lolDeath

The basic idea is that whoever wants to joins up, and every week we take turns sharing an album and posting our thoughts on it. For those of you who are supremely dense I will give a more painfully obvious explanation.

Person A chooses an album

Persons B, C, D, E, F, and whatever comes after F all listen to it and post their opinions of it

Then person B chooses an album

Persons A, C, D, E, F, etc. post their thoughts

And so on

These tend to crash and burn pretty hard any time they're made, but it's like 6am, I have nothing to do for 10 hours, so I'm going to make this and give it a shot. It's really easy and kind of neat as long as everyone doesn't flake. I think shortening the amount of time it takes to go around would probably be best if this actually gets going and people aren't some mutant cross between a turtle and snail about it. Snurtles.

So anyone want to give it a shot?

Victim list:

Death

ZXValaRowan

Nightmare

mikethfc

Red Whirlwind

SirBrickingtonCrushworthy

WeaponsofMassConstruction

seph1212

Le Communard

Phoenix Wright

Strawman the SawmanShaman

Esau of Isaac

Fenrir

Queen

Edited by 6669`

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question: can the albums we recommend also be soundtracks to things? Like movies, games, etc.

mmm, I guess so. I mean it kind of defeats the "check out this band" purpose but I'm not a very strict person. Not like it's going to hurt anyone.

I don't plan on posting albums or sharing a serious level of thoughts, but I'll probably follow what music you guys post and give very basic commentary (liked, didn't like). If that's alright.

Yeah that's perfectly fine, I just won't put you into rotation unless you want to be in at a later date.

I wouldn't sweat it really, people getting a chance to listen to something they otherwise would not have is the main point.

And yeah, about availability, once we get rolling I'll edit the first post with some really easy ways to find shit.

Just an FYI but I didn't realize that this whole deal was about BUYING albums... I mean, I'll still listen to the albums that people bring up (online, without downloading them to my computer illegally of course), and then I may wind up buying a couple singles and adding them to my library, or, god forbid, the whole album.

Hopefully this doesn't go against the spirit of the music geek club, but I think that I'm not the only one here who's going to go about it that way...

Well, I'm impressed with SF's appreciation of the lost art of the Album. Sitting down and actually listening to music is such a rare thing these days--something worth encouraging even if I don't necessarily love everything. We live in such a music saturated world, listening has become such meaningless act, really appreciating it is something I think we need to work to recapture.

If that's the case, I think I can pitch in too. Of course, I think I'm sort of the real hipster here in the sense that I listen to music that no one else of my generation does (Indy is so... mainstream), but it should be fun none the less.

Edited by Le Communard

Tangerine and Sev are little fence sittersss. But yeah, updated.

I don't expect anyone to buy any of this though. If you're scared of downloading things I guess you're stuck with streaming sites, but those work in some cases, hahah.

If that's the case, I think I can pitch in too. Of course, I think I'm sort of the real hipster here in the sense that I listen to music that no one else of my generation does (Indy is so... mainstream), but it should be fun none the less.

Music you have in common includes Bob Dylan, Townes Van Zandt, Sun Ra and The Velvet Underground.

Can't be that bad.

It begins.

0000885192_350.jpg

The Flophouse Sessions by (The) Slowest Runner (In All The World)

Very easy to find, just type in "(The) Slowest Runner (In All The World) download" with Google and the second result contains a depositfiles link.

Posting my thoughts.

Individual tracks:

As the sea swells she bleats and moans like a goat in heat: Very nice strings. It's pretty classy and deviates from the norm, somewhat, without outdoing it.

A blind captain, a whispered portent, an infirm navigator: Quite melancholic. Reminds me of Last Blade music, to be honest, and that's never a bad thing.

A Moor slave dreams of a beautiful woman he will never meet - Mutiny and rebellion ensues aboard the good ship Tecora: Started boring, became a bit interesting near the end, and ended boring. Not to much to say other than that, I'm afraid.

Like hares they mistook confidence for capacity...: Nice stuff. Sounds like jazzy lounge music, which I like. I think it could've been better if the strings were more mellow, but still, I like it.

This is water: It started out swell, but later it got boring and monotonous. Not a very good closing track imhotep, but not exactly bad either. Though lol, the chants at the end were hilarious.

Album as a whole: Very nice, though it isn't something I would listen to very frequently. Maybe when I'm in a certain mood.

I hope I did it right.

I thought it was a pretty cool album, though it was awfully short.

I'd give it an 82 / 100, certainly enjoyable ambient music, which professes a clear influence from the classical era, and yet it has a sort of jazzy hint to it as well.

Makes me think of the PoTC soundtrack times ten minus some length.

All in all, worth acquiring, and I'm glad to have listened to it.

Anyway, how are we to determine the order of who goes next?

Edited by SirBrickingtonCrushworthy