Mafia Headquarters The Third

riariadne

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a significant portion of the players I wanted to invite won't be available until a week or two (and there are a couple I never invited because I gave up on a saturday start before I could) so yeah

I think we agreed on either a large or two mid sized games when we implemented this rule. Given the newly gained players, adjusting it to one large and one mid sized one at the same time seems sufficient to me.

While I understand that people want to run their own games as fast as possible, when having too many running at the same time, the overall quality of each individual game suffers. The more games players are in, the less time they'll have to dedicate to each game. Likewise, it is frustrating to hosts when players aren't paying attention to a game they're hosting.

also i actually -could- host I Can't Believe It's Not SFMM3 Minimafia as a placeholder for anon if people are interested, draft's over and i don't think people really mind having a mini going on alongside larger games

Edited by Prims

Rein, not sure if you think this'll be too much work. If so, then feel free to ignore me as usual. :P:

For those games in queue, would you mind if their creators updated you on their status.\? For example, both Schoolteacher Mafia and Naruto Mafia are in the tweaks stages - that means that I might fiddle with a role here or there to balance things out, but most portions are done. If I had to post sign-ups, I could do so.

I wouldn't mind modifying the queue such that it's ordered by when games are actually finished and ready for hosting rather than the order people request to host them. This would require people to somehow prove the game is actually ready though (possibly through getting it checked/approved but that would mean even veteran hosts would now need to get it checked somehow) unless you want to use the honor system. Then again I guess after SFM they can still lie to the checker and continue changing the game afterwards sooooooooooooo

Edit: also sometimes games get postponed for reasons other than being incomplete. For example even if PEM was finished Kaoz wouldn't be hosting it right now because he doesn't want to host two games at the same time.

Edited by Paperblade

Hey hey hey

Etrian Odyssey 2 Mafia, probably 16 players, hosted by me, sometime after Etrian Odyssey Mafia.

I'm also considering Etrian Odyssey 3 Mafia, but I'm not confirming it yet.

yep

it's only my favorite game series, no big deal

mystical edit: already drafted roles for EO2, figuring out how broken the setup is currently (which could be very)

mystical edit 2: Roles look okay, nothing stupidly broken in there. Also, generated a priority list. Which leaves only the role PM's now. At this rate, I'll have EO3 Mafia ready by the time EO1 Mafia starts. I must be clearly bored

Edited by Manix

I wouldn't mind modifying the queue such that it's ordered by when games are actually finished and ready for hosting rather than the order people request to host them. This would require people to somehow prove the game is actually ready though (possibly through getting it checked/approved but that would mean even veteran hosts would now need to get it checked somehow) unless you want to use the honor system. Then again I guess after SFM they can still lie to the checker and continue changing the game afterwards sooooooooooooo

Edit: also sometimes games get postponed for reasons other than being incomplete. For example even if PEM was finished Kaoz wouldn't be hosting it right now because he doesn't want to host two games at the same time.

I like this idea so far. Would anyone have problems if I did it like this? It'd solve the whole "hi I am Pokemon Safari Zone mafia and I am sitting at the top of the queue for forever and a half" thing

I guess the honor system could be used for some things but idk having a second opinion is kind of better anyway so I'll leave that up to other people to decide if we make everyone check with someone or trust people who have hosted well in the past to hopefully know what they're doing

The only concern I have about it I guess is people who rapidfire make readied games would probably have bad games?

but I guess if you do that people would stop signing up for your games

[13:22] <Kaoz> "The only concern I have about it I guess is people who rapidfire make readied games would probably have bad games?" maybe make it so that for a certain period of time after you hosted your last game, you may not host another one?

[13:22] <Paperblade> hmm

[13:22] <Paperblade> well I wouldn't mind if someone hosted 5 games in a row if they were all good

[13:23] <Paperblade> and then there's the problem of "was the game actually bad or did the players just fuck it up"

[13:23] <Kaoz> well.. as a player, no, I wouldn't mind... but then again, I would imagine that other people besides that one person would also like to host games, so if one person clogs up the queue, that wouldn't be a good thing imo

[13:24] <Paperblade> well maybe they should make their game and state that it's ready >_>

[13:24] <Paperblade> but yeah I guess we could say that you can't have two adjacent games on the queue?

[13:24] <Paperblade> or you can't host two games at once

[13:25] <Paperblade> I like to imagine that bad hosting is self policing in that people who host bad games won't get their games to fill

[13:25] <Kaoz> imo can't host two games at once, and are not allowed to host until at least one or two weeks after your last one ended

[13:25] <Paperblade> mmk

[13:25] <Paperblade> post that in the HQ I guess, gonna use the restroom

[13:25] <Kaoz> I wasn't done yet ;/

[13:26] <Kaoz> at the same time, the rule about only X number of games are allowed to be up at the same time should be kept (I think this should be either one large and one mid or two mid and one small atm)

[13:28] <Kaoz> [22:25] Paperblade I like to imagine that bad hosting is self policing in that people who host bad games won't get their games to fill <-- as for this, theoretically yes, in actuality, I think a lot of people will still join games even if the previous ones weren't that good... also you'd have to set a time period for how long a game is allowed to have sign-ups until it gets kicked out of the queue

[13:32] <Paperblade> mmk

[13:32] <Paperblade> well at the same time if someone is known for hosting bad games and people still want to join them

[13:32] <Kaoz> hmm I'd probably do it like this overall:

[13:32] <Kaoz> -you may not host two games at the same time

[13:32] <Kaoz> -you may not have two games on the same queue

[13:33] <Paperblade> that's kind of their prerogative

[13:33] <Kaoz> -if a game doesn't start until one week after sign-ups were posted, that host forfeits his spot on the queue and gets taken off

[13:33] <Kaoz> -only two large/mid sized games may be hosted at the same time, only one large game may be hosted at the same time

[13:33] <Paperblade> I'm not gonna join a Psych game

[13:33] <Kaoz> this should prevent most of the issues and allow everyone to host their games

[13:33] <Paperblade> for example

[13:33] <Paperblade> I think that it should be changed to if a game doesn't get enough signups to start

[13:33] <Paperblade> sometimes people have to delay for other reasons

[13:33] <Kaoz> right

[13:33] <Kaoz> I thought that and wrote something different

[13:34] <Paperblade> also what would you being complete

[13:34] <Paperblade> all the roles and rules and mechanics worked out

[13:34] <Paperblade> or role PMs ready and you could host the game right now if you had to?

[13:34] <Kaoz> imo the latter

[13:34] <Paperblade> mmk

[13:35] <Paperblade> (the system I proposed to Rein is loosely based off of the one Smogon uses except I think Smogon considers games ready based on the former rather than the latter)

[13:35] <Kaoz> it's the most clear cut way I think, whereas with the other one it's still a bit vague

[13:35] <Paperblade> (but obviously we don't have to do things exactly like Smogon)

[13:35] <Paperblade> yeah that's true

[13:35] <Kaoz> it's not really a big deal writing role pms, so if your game is ready, you should be able to do that before putting it on the queue

Clarity report: EO2 Mafia only requires role PM's before it is ready. Which should be by the end of today, not barring any sudden thoughts of imbalance in the setup. not that it matters, it's at the bottom of the queue

edit: and because of my laziness/playing Banjo-Kazooie all day, they were not touched. well then.

Edited by Manix

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just saiyan that i need everybody who signed up for anonymafia to PM me and confirm whether they're still interested in playing or not

I just wanted to clarify something, for those who don't know. If you're using the search function to search for user-specific posts, and their name has a space in it, you replace the space with "%20"

So it would read like...

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&

cId=33274search_author=Daigoji%20Excellen

Just posting this as a reference to those who don't know that %20 is webjargen for space.

Normally when I iso someone with a space in their name, like Luster Purge or Daigoji Excellen, I just put in a space and it's replaced by the %20 automatically.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just saiyan that i need everybody who signed up for anonymafia to PM me and confirm whether they're still interested in playing or not

so when is that game actually happening