Mafia Headquarters The Third

riariadne

Central for all things mafia on Serenes Forest!

The official Serenes Forest Mafia IRC!

Channel: #sforestmafia

Server: darkmyst

Ops: turntechGodhead/timaeusTestified (Founder, owner), Paperblade (administrator, part-owner), Snike, Kaoz

People may request to be ops for the duration of their games.

If you don't have an IRC client, you can use this applet, type in a nickname that is recognizable, and type in #sforestmafia as the channel. This can be used to communicate for Outside Contact, or OC, games, and is generally a pretty reliable method to get into contact with someone, though there are other ways as well!

The Search topic thing for individual users! (thank you prims)

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&
cId={TOPIC_ID}&search_author={USERNAME}

Replace {TOPIC_ID} with the topic number

Replace {USERNAME} with the CURRENT displayname of any give user

This gives each and every post made by USERNAME in that topic in isolation.

IRC Mafia games!

[spoiler=Introduction to Mafia]What is Mafia?

Mafia is a game between two sides: An informed 'mafia', who want to kill everyone else, and an uninformed 'town', who want to find the mafia. Players are randomly assigned to teams, and the town has to work out who is in the mafia, while the mafia have to blend in and trick the town into not killing them.

How does it work?

Each game day consists of the day phase and the night phase. These vary in length - typically 48-72 hours for the day, and 24-48 hours for the night.

The Day Phase is when everyone decides to cast a vote to hang someone (or hang no one, if you decide). You do not have to vote. Votes will be cast publicly on the forum in most cases. Votes are generally made in this format: ##Vote: User, which makes them clear and easy to find by searching for the ##. If the moderator does not specify otherwise, votes should be made in this format.

The Night Phase is for those with special abilities (certain villagers have these, as do the Mafia). The most notable part of this phase is who the Mafia kill. To do your actions, send the game moderator a PM on this forum. Make it 100% clear who you are performing your action on.

Sounds good, can I join a game?

Of course! Check our list of upcoming games, and sign yourself up for one. The nearer the top they are, the closer they are to starting. Games in the pending list are ready to start at any point, so they're definitely a good one to sign up for if you want to play immediately.

Anything else to be aware of?

The rules vary from game to game, but in general, a few things are true in every game:

Do not talk after you're killed, or if you're not playing.

Do not edit your posts - this can vary in severity, sometimes you may edit posts to remove votes or correct grammar, other times edits are an instant modkill (getting kicked out of the game for violating the rules).

You should also try to be active during the game - games tend to get boring if only two people ever talk and nobody says much. The more meaningful posts you make during the day, the more exciting the game will be.

Some time after you have signed up, you will receive a PM with your role and alignment in it. This may be very basic and just tell you what you can do, or it may have some flavour text to make it more exciting. Either way, the PM will detail exactly what you are able to do.

For more information, check this page. It contains the basic rules and lots of variant roles.

Can I run a game?

Yes, of course! Provided you have some experience in either playing or moderating, it should be fine. Be aware that we have a queue, though, so don't just make a topic and hope to start a game the next week. Also, please be aware that as a first time moderator, there are some things you should know making your game.

[spoiler=The Moderator's game planning guide](Shamelessly take from Smogon and adapted)

Pre-game

1. Design your game, and put it in a spreadsheet or other nice format. It doesn't have to be 100% complete, but close to it is nice.

2. Post in this topic and ask to host a game. I will put it on the list of games. If you're known to be a veteran or skilled mod, then your game will be likely approved instantly and will be allowed to run when it reaches the top of the queue. If not, check the list of people eligible to check games below.

3. If required, give said host access to your spreadsheet/detials and work on getting the concept and balance right.

4. Make sure your game is ready as it approaches the top of the queue.

5. When you are allowed, post the sign-ups. I will sometimes remind people that they can do this but often won't. Keep an eye on this thread and check your game's progress. You should ask if your signups should be allowed to open.

6. Once your game is ready to start, send out role PMs and post your game thread, and begin the game (preferably in that order, but it's not a huge problem).

During the game

Concerning substitutions, everyone who signed up for the game but did not get in is eligible to be a substitute. It is highly recommended to have a substitute list - nobody's life is perfect, after all, and people may have to drop out of games for various reasons.

How you handle substitutes is otherwise up to you.

After the game

You are allowed to create a postgame thread after your game ends, if you want. Hosts are strongly encouraged to do so. It is required to let people know how everything panned out in terms of actions, whether it be via a list of them, a spreadsheet, or anything else. Alternatively you can just continue discussion in your game thread.

Who will check my game/Can I help check games?

It could be any moderator known to be a skilled moderator. If you've proven you're good enough to run a game without problems, you're good enough to help other people with their own games.

How long will I have to wait for this game to start?

It really does depend on where it is in the queue. One large, one medium, and one mini game may be run at a time. If there is no Large game running or ready to run soon, another medium may run in its place, but not the other way around.

[spoiler=game listings]About checking games

If you are a first time host, it is effectively mandatory to have your game checked. This is a simple matter of posting here, and someone who has hosted successfully hosted games in the past will let you know if they want to check it. If your games have not gone so well in the past, this is also probably a good idea. Similarly, it is wise to get someone to look over your game to check mechanics that haven't been tried in the past, or have been but are uncommon, unless you're extremely confident that it will work out. If you are shaky about how balanced your game is, regardless of how experienced you are at running games, having someone else look it over may also be a good idea. If you aren't sure, have someone check! It never hurts to have someone else weigh in on your game to make sure it is as fair and fun as possible for everyone involved.

The Blacklist

currently unused (hopefully permanently!)

The Game List

The formatting is

Name of game- host, cohost if applicable (# of players)

an "Experimental" tag means that the game may have new or strange mechanics. Other tags are usually self-evident.

Currently Running:

Choral Mafia V: Whispers of the World - Strider (with CARA) (25)

Naruto Mafia - eclipse, co-mod Blitz (11)

Signups Open:

Levity's Multiple Personalities Mafia - Levity (19)

Upcoming Large (15+) Games:

Schoolteacher Mafia - eclipse (16/17)

Tales of Symphonia Mafia - Shinori, checked by clipsey (15)

Void Mafia - Paperblade, co-mod cows (19)

Chilean Musician Mafia - Levity (15) [ready?]

Shining Force Mafia 2 - Elieson, co-mod Psych (21)

Folgore Rangers Mafia - TTI, Boron, Aere, and Cam (16)

Final Fantasy Mafia - Marth, co-mod Manix (20)

C9++- Tables (15)

Upcoming Small (14-) Games:)

Strip Mafia - Prims (12)

.Hack//Mafia The World:FORCE ERA - Shinori, checked by Manix (?)

Pokemon Adventures - BBM, checked by Manix and Prims (14)

Really Neato Mafia - Excellen, co-mod eclipse (9)

Choose your Own Character Mafia - Elieson, checked by Kaoz (9)

New Prince of Tennis Mafia: Season 1 - Kaoz (11) [invite only, queue bypassing]

Ideas list (any size)

Avatar the Last Airbender Mafia- scorri (?)

Etrian Odyssey 2 Mafia- Manix (16)

hack.//mafia- Shinori (26) (w/ some other site)

Halloween Mafia- Iris (?)- delayed until approximately Halloween time

HAMTARO MAFIA- Bizz, co-mod Iris (30)

It's Time to Duel Mafia- Elieson (16)

Kuroko no Basket Mafia- cows

Mystery Mafia- Manix (10) [not ready]

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Mafia- Strider- HP MECHANICS (20)

Pick Your Poison Serenes Edition- Strider (undefined)

Pick Your Poison SONG EDITION- Levity (19?) [not ready?]

Pokemon Holon Mafia- cows

Pokemon Safari Zone Mafia- Proto and Kay- EXPERIMENTAL (?)

Pokemon Trainer Mafia- Iris, co-mod Strider (20)

Raocow Mafia- Naglfar (17)

Read The Fucking Rules Mini Mafia- Strider (14)

Shakespeare Mafia- Manix, co-mod eclipse (?)

TotA Maifa II- Jaybee (?)

Training Mafia NOC- Proto (6 roles, 12 signups)

[spoiler=Completed Games]The format of these are Game - Moderator - Winner.

The link on Game links to the game thread.

The link on Winner links to the postgame discussion. If there is no link, the postgame is located in the actual game thread.

The following colours are used to indicate the winner:

Town or town equivalent

Mafia or mafia equivalent

3rd Party individual (Credited as the player who won as well as the role)

3rd Party team

Edited by Strider

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Life's explanation of Mafia:

Mafia is a game of wits. It involves an uninformed majority known as the town and an informed minority within the town known as the Mafia.

Every day is split up into two phases. During the Night phase, the Mafia picks a person to kill that night. In addition, if you have a special role (known as a power role), you may use it depending on the stipulations within that role. For instance: If I am a Hooker, I may "hook" a person during a night. This is a roleblock and anyone who has been hooked will have their night action voided for that night. This is not restricted to only the Mafia or the town.

During the day phase, the town (and mafia) get together to discuss the events of the previous night and to vote on a lynch target. The town wins by eliminating the Mafia and the most sure way of doing so is by lynching a suspicious person. Lynches require a majority of the town agreeing to happen.

Now depending on the game, there may be outside contact or no outside contact. Outside contact allows any player to privately speak to another player about the game. They may discuss anything they like, including win conditions (if the players are on opposing factions but have a mutual goal to work to) and ways to achieve these conditions.

In a No Outside Contact game, all conversation goes on within the game thread. Information is either public to all or not known. Players must then rely on "scumhunting" to find and lynch mafia members. Scumhunting is the art of finding a mafia player through deductions (may or may not be logical).

For a regular game of one mafia vs. the town, the Mafia wins if they achieve parity with the town during either phase (it is then impossible to lose the game). The town wins if all of the mafia members have been eliminated. Neutral roles may or may not win depending on whether or not their win condition has been fulfilled.

That should basically sum up the idea of Mafia. It's a social game for the most part with a lot of emphasis on thinking and a little luck involved (attempting to get players to benefit your team). The three games that have sign-ups right now (including mine) all allow outside contact (Kingmaker Mafia may or may not) while the two ongoing (Choral Mafia and Assassin's Guild) do not. Just a heads up. Mind you, I find outside contact a lot more fun than no outside contact. But this is only my opinion.

Second, the list of completed games (needs updating).

The link on Winner links to the postgame discussion. If there is no link, the postgame is located in the actual game thread.

Town or town equivalent

3rd Part team

Third, have you considered splitting up the Upcoming games list into two lists: Games that have already been checked over and games that still need a checker?

Edited by Radiant Kitty

You know, the mods could have just taken one of Rein's ancient posts and transferred it to the other Mafia HQ thread, causing him to become the topic creator, without having to make an entirely new one.

You know, the mods could have just taken one of Rein's ancient posts and transferred it to the other Mafia HQ thread, causing him to become the topic creator, without having to make an entirely new one.

Clutter. =/

@RD: Thanks. I'll definitely do the third one.

Emerald is qualified to check games?

Whether or not though Psych, I recommend that you stop making Mafia topics unless you can actually get enough people to fill them.

I have enough. It's for 15 people and that many joined SPM mafia. :/

Duke Nukem Forever Mafia seems to have disappeared. Anyway, I'll be updating the completed games list, so you can copy-paste it into the OP.

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. =/

Also, questioning of the checking system has come up. Generally it's been "2 games run successfully", but people seem to not like that. =/ Would anyone like to see this changed?

I can't speak for others, but I think it works great, unless a better system is suggested.

The only problem is a lack of people who have run 2 games that seem to be willing to check games. Tables, JB and Life are the only ones I see doing it, although I guess I'll also be qualified after Ivalice Mafia (if it goes well), which causes a problem when they want to play games as well.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

Yeah, that's the big issue. =/

Maybe we could do two "semi-qualified"? People who've run one good game? That would expand the list drastically (Paperblade, Excellen, Proto, you, me, Haze, etc).

Edited by Luka Mefeline

I think that a semi-qualified group (people who have hosted one successful game), that can host games without a 'checker' as long as two of them are running it (just having another person to look over things helps greatly) could possibly work. What do others think?

I was thinking two of them could check to be the equivalent of a full check with that, myself, but I think it could speed up things drastically. Should've clarified.

Edited by Luka Mefeline

No, I knew what you meant, I just think that that idea may not be as preferable since we're a small community as it is. Anyway, here's the updated list of completed games, ready to go into the OP:

Town or town equivalent

3rd Part team

Edited by Radiant Kitty

Hm, I can see where you're coming from. If there's no objections, I'll implement it into the OP tomorrow.

Thanks.

Edited by Luka Mefeline