The Last To Post Wins!

Darros

Got told by the doctor to stay home today due to my stomach virus having returned again with a vengeance. Ugh.
Oh, well. More time to study on my own, or something.

---

A comment on the "kill God" trope:
Interestingly enough, there are some JRPGs that have subverted the "kill God" trope in some way, usually by having the deity you kill either be a false one or man-made. I'll put the ones I know off the top of my head into spoilers, so you don't have to spoil yourself.

Bravely Second has the false god Providence, who pretends to be God, but isn't.
Shining Resonance Refrain has Deus, which is a man-made machine (a literal Deus Ex Machina, you see) made by people who thought they were better than the Dragons, who are the personifications of the forces of nature. Deus went rogue and nearly destroyed the world in an event known as Ragnarok alongside its artificial dragons known as the Dracomachina.
Stella Glow has Mother Qualia, which is also a man-made object that absorbs negative human emotion and was born from a subconscious wish for death that humanity had.
Persona 5 has Yaldabaoth, who calls himself the God of Control and was born from a subconscious collective wish for stability and order by the people of Tokyo.

And there are plenty that portray their deities in a positive light. If they are enemies, they'll have been corrupted in some way, but then return to normal after you beat them. Here are some examples:
Hyperdimension Neptunia has the CPUs Neptune, Noire, Vert, and Blanc, as well as Uzume, Plutia and Peashy, who are very benevolent by all accounts.

Then, there are Rei Rights, the CPU of Tari, who drove her own nation to ruin by being a complacent tyrant, and Uzume Tennouboshi herself, who became feared due to her powers and fell into despair because of it. She sealed herself away by choice, after which two personalities were born: the Uzume you get to play as, and Kurome Ankokuboshi, who serves as the game's main antagonist.

Shining Resonance Refrain has the Shining Dragon as an object of worship and he's benevolent also.

He's sealed within the protagonist, so in essence, you are the Shining Dragon.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth has Yggdrasil, the host computer of the Digital World (the homeworld of the Digimon) and thus its "God".

He fell apart due to a corruption by the multidimensional being known as Eater and serves as the vessel for the game's final boss. Yggdrasil itself isn't evil, however.

Fairy Fencer f Advent Dark Force has a benevolent Goddess and a Vile God, who sealed each other away during a battle in the game's backstory.
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky has the deities Dialga and Palkia, who are not what I would call evil.

Dialga has turned feral because of the collapse of the Temporal Tower, which happened because of Darkrai's interventions. You defeat him as the final boss of the story, after which he returns to normal. Palkia comes in later to kill you, but not because he's evil, but because he was led to believe you're destroying the world by existing, which is a legitimate reason for a god to want to kill you, all things considered.

• Replies 180.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Got told by the doctor to stay home today due to my stomach virus having returned again with a vengeance. Ugh.
Oh, well. More time to study on my own, or something.

Take care of yourself! 
Stomach problems are the main reason i had to take an almost 2 years pause from Uni, and it's still affecting me to this day

Get well soon^^

@DragonFlames

Get better ASAP! 

Today is the first day after almost a month I am feeling really well without any cold symptoms. The cough got really on my nerves at work as my workmates. 

Finally I am feeling good enough to work in my flat. I have some furniture I still have to set (workmate will help me). My flat looks like battlefield right now, absolutely chaotic and also dirty. But there is no point of cleaning the flat, if the entire floor is blocked with tools and boards. On Sunday I will actually live in normal conditions. 

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Part of the problem with the overabundant "Kill God" trope might stem from these games originating in Japan. Coming from a land of polytheism sort of permits gods to be less than perfect, even if I'm not exactly familiar with inherently "bad" Shinto deities if they exist- Izanami Goddess of the Underworld called Yomi I guess?

That is indeed why. That's why i was specifically refering to JRPGs. The West writes stories about Gods too but it's always anything but the Abrahemic God (unless it's a Christian story).

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Interestingly enough, there are some JRPGs that have subverted the "kill God" trope in some way, usually by having the deity you kill either be a false one or man-made.

This is concept of the Demiurge. A being with God-like powers but isn't the true God. Usually the Demiurge is the bad guy (whether by choice, nature or ignorance) while the true God is either the good guy or simply appears to do beneovlant things, but in actuality, exists above the concept of good and evil.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

That really sounds rough. Hopefully it passes by quick.

3 hours ago, Lysithea said:

@DragonFlames

Get better ASAP!

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Take care of yourself! 
Stomach problems are the main reason i had to take an almost 2 years pause from Uni, and it's still affecting me to this day

Get well soon^^

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

That really sounds rough. Hopefully it passes by quick.

Thanks, guys!

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

since this is still Lys appreciation thread

Adorable. What else is there to say?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

This is concept of the Demiurge. A being with God-like powers but isn't the true God. Usually the Demiurge is the bad guy (whether by choice, nature or ignorance) while the true God is either the good guy or simply appears to do beneovlant things, but in actuality, exists above the concept of good and evil.

Indeed it is.

Edited by DragonFlames

@Armagon Someone briefly mentioned this in the "teleporting as a plot device topic":

"Like for Three Houses I push Edelgard's shit in like 3 times throughout the story and yet every time we square off she's confident she'll win.  Like have you not paid attention the past 3 times we squared off and I've completely destroyed you and your entire battalion. XBC2 was notorious for this shit as well."

The part I just bolded, I'm sure your opinion of the matter is significantly more positive, but what would you exactly say of the frequent same-enemy faceoffs?

My response to the person's assertion was:

"I get your point, but there at least I see every battle ending indecisively being due to the initial surprise of some new ally trick, or the enemy pulling out another card of theirs' that makes them stronger than last time. To list the instances SPOILERS:

Not saying it was all well-written, it certainly did have a real "anime" vibe to it all, albeit the battle choreography was very good. But they did offer some excuse for each and every fight ending without either side dead."

As for the list, as I remember things:

Spoiler
  • Torna Tomb vs. Torna- Not so much "won" as a harrowing escape possible by the surprise of Rex and Pyra working together, and Nia's betrayal.
  • Uraya vs. Torna- Won only because Vandham, and Mythra's return. Torna was much stronger here.
  • Mor Ardain vs. Torna- The surprise of Haze. The Torna escape is less justifiable however.
  • Temperantia vs. Torna- Jin is fragile. I forget how the escape went.
  • Tantal vs. Torna- Lost because Absolute Zero, and it only ends with everyone alive, because Pyra/Mythra offered herself.
  • Morytha vs Torna- A trick by Nia with Malos holding back.
  • Morytha 2 vs. Torna- Rex goes full power. Ends because the cliff collapses- a slight deus ex machina excuse.
  • World Tree vs. Torna- The final clashes where people actually die.

I excuse the vs. Zeke battles, since they are supposed to be comical, as are the Bana brawls.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Spoiler

In Temperantia, Jin escaped thanks to Akhos arriving and taking him back. Kinda out there, especially when Akhos also activates a machine that you just destroyed and cut the power to. 

I still don't understand the Malos fight on the Cliffs of Morytha. I get that they were showing off what Nia is truly capable of, as well as Malos's Monado, but it was still weird when she basically kills him with literal cancer and then he comes back like 5 seconds later completely unharmed and unaffected.

Oh, what are we talking about?

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

but what would you exactly say of the frequent same-enemy faceoffs?

My view is like, if the boss you're fighting for like the third time starts being like "welp, i might lose this one" then the fight doesn't have tension anymore. I think it's a good thing that a boss still feels like they have a chance of beating at you, even if they haven't before.

Besides, same-enemy faceoffs are a thing in fiction. Not just in games. Since i'm in a Star Wars mood, let's look at The Clone Wars. Anakin and Count Dooku fight each other like every Tuesday. It's not a bad thing.

I feel like same enemy faceoffs are only a bad thing if winning doesn't feel like a victory. Like in Trails, my least favorite part of the entire series is the main antagonist group Ouroborous. Because every time you beat them, it always boils down to "you may have won but my plan was still a success which means i actually won" and then the boss just runs away.

49 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:
  Hide contents

In Temperantia, Jin escaped thanks to Akhos arriving and taking him back. Kinda out there, especially when Akhos also activates a machine that you just destroyed and cut the power to. 

I still don't understand the Malos fight on the Cliffs of Morytha. I get that they were showing off what Nia is truly capable of, as well as Malos's Monado, but it was still weird when she basically kills him with literal cancer and then he comes back like 5 seconds later completely unharmed and unaffected.

Oh, what are we talking about?

Spoiler

Blades are immortal and have insane regen abilities. Malos did get inflicted with turbo cancer but the only way to kill a Blade is to destory their core. It makes sense why Malos came back. My guess was that Nia was trying to get him to fall into the abyss but Malos landed on that little bit of rock.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I take it emulation isn't your thing?

It's not that it's not my thing. It's that my laptop is too slow for emulators. It can manage the GBA emulator just fine, but anything more advanced (heh) than that and it's like "F*** this, I'm out".

32 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It's not that it's not my thing. It's that my laptop is too slow for emulators. It can manage the GBA emulator just fine, but anything more advanced (heh) than that and it's like "F*** this, I'm out".

It's one of those game even a toaster can run. I ran it on my old Toaster myself

https://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/Recettear_An_Item_Shops_Tale/ there's also a demo available so you can see if you can run it or not.

I didn't like that game though

on another matter: Wtf those Ryza min requirements. GTX 1050 for min? really? Are those thighs in 4k or something?

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

It's one of those game even a toaster can run. I ran it on my old Toaster myself

https://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/Recettear_An_Item_Shops_Tale/ there's also a demo available so you can see if you can run it or not.

I didn't like that game though

Toasters > My laptop. XD

Jokes aside, I have honestly no plans to install Steam on my PC anytime soon, if ever. There's just something about the company behind the store that rubs me the wrong way and I can't in good faith support them.

29 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Toasters > My laptop. XD

Jokes aside, I have honestly no plans to install Steam on my PC anytime soon, if ever. There's just something about the company behind the store that rubs me the wrong way and I can't in good faith support them.

I see i see.

Well, You don't plan to ever get into PC gaming then? Because without Steam would be very very hard

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

on another matter: Wtf those Ryza min requirements. GTX 1050 for min? really? Are those thighs in 4k or something?

Hey man, those thighs contain power.

All jokes aside, given the big visual upgrade when compared to the rest of the series, it doesn't surprise me that Ryza's min requirements are a bit high.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hey man, those thighs contain power.

All jokes aside, given the big visual upgrade when compared to the rest of the series, it doesn't surprise me that Ryza's min requirements are a bit high.

it's still a PS4/NSW game. The only reason why it requires such monster requirements is if it isn't optimized...

which alot of jp games aren't tbf (but that's still on another level).

Edited by Shrimperor