• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna guess Dalton or any of his golems. They all had the Iron Ball tech, which halved current HP.

Though in those cases, it was their counter move to physical attacks. It was often better to quickly attack with alternating elemental magic.

Yesterday and past night I have felt like I would have choked due to my cough. I was close to call the emergency doctor. I cannot think of ever having such horrible coughing. It is a bit better now since I even could sleep for a few hours against my expectations, but overall this week has been goddamn awful. I do not know if I will be able to get back to work tomorrow. The worse is that a big storm is coming today which will ruin upcoming night for me due to its noise. 

Edited by Falcom Knight

5 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Big Bang, I believe it is? It's honestly not that deadly, after it is a decent amount of cooldown that's easy to recover from.

To counter the Mystic Arte spam, I did have to chuck Treats a lot and sometimes Life Bottles- I ran out against Mr. Brilliant Cataclysm!. Gels being single target makes them shaky, and waiting for the AI to patch me up, even with the relative quickness of Raven's Love Shot, wasn't something I was patient for. Martaaaaaaaa! Where is your Radiant Roar I fire off ASAP as soon as the enemy's done with their Mystic? Double checking an old post I made, it turns out I lowered the final battle to Easy.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I say again: why are there attacks that do that sort of thing in an action RPG?

Although now that i think about it, it seems it's just a Tales thing?

There are anti-aliment accessories, I might have been using some, if not as much as I should've.

And I guess it's just Tales being very RPG in their Action-RPGness. Normally, I don't even really notice ailments as being that big a deal, not even Petrify, being they're usually rare. Those two bosses were a nasty exception.

Although now that i think about it, it seems it's just a Tales thing? I mean, my experience of action RPGs is literally just limited to Xenoblade because when it comes to other action RPG franchises i've played

Personally, I wouldn't actually call Xenoblade an Action RPG. Being real-time doesn't inherently make it an Action RPG, Active Time Battle is real-time too. There is a measure of reflexes in Xenoblade, particularly with XC2's addition of the "evasion during execution" Arts technically pioneered by Ghostwalker's runway strut of invincibility, but is it enough to be true Action?

But, I'm a little too tired right now to ponder the boundaries of the Action RPG genre too much. The 2D/3D Action game with heavy RPG elements classifies, I'd say Bloodstained/the Metroidvanias and Rune Factory and Ys. And Tales belongs here too, being case with a more defined, separate battle arena. What else lay within the genre, can anything else be in the genre? *Yawn* Can't speculate.😪

thiiiiiiiiiiiiink Kid Icarus: Uprising had that kind of attack, at least in multiplayer. But i consider Uprising to be more of a straight-up action game.

Agreed that KIU is pure Action. And yes, you're right.:

"Weaken is a particularly dangerous status ailment that temporarily reduces Pit's maximum health by half. Skuttler Mages can inflict this condition on Pit with their spells, along with a small number of bosses. The Great Reaper Palm can also inflict this condition, but only in Together mode."

The closest to an RPG KI:U comes is weapon traits and quality and fusion. But one RPG aspect does not an RPG make. Speaking of which, I wish the system was easier to get ideal weapons from. Make it transparent these 1-12 numbers that each weapon has which determines the fused weapon, and let me inherit any traits I voluntarily want, within a maximum capacity on the weapon's traits stemming from its Value maximum. Having to farm weapons is okay, but some can handle only so much of that.

I don't know if Ys 7 (or any Ys game for that matter) has halve/reduce to 1 HP attacks.

I can say for sure Ys VIII doesn't. Nowhere there thankfully.

Duke's Bing Bang can be canceled by an arte of Repede. 

As for this fight the sirup bottles have an actual sense because no one else spams as much with status ailments as him. 

Weakness is the ailment which halves all the starts including HP. 

In general the fellarm form might be the hardest regular final boss in the series, but it also was the most enjoyable one for me. 

The interesting thing is that the fight became easier (in harder difficulties) in the Definitive version since he uses Brave Vesperia always as his first mystic arte. He might not even be able to absorb all possible HP. On easy the fight is harder because it is very difficult to beat him without letting him use one single mystic arte which would be Brave Vesperia then. 

Edited by Falcom Knight

Headaches are a constant mood nowdays. And being tired <.<

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

Yesterday and past night I have felt like I would have choked due to my cough. I was close to call the emergency doctor. I cannot think of ever having such horrible coughing

try to see if you can move your apointment up. Waiting until March with this condition is awful, speaking from experience.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

try to see if you can move your apointment up. Waiting until March with this condition is awful, speaking from experience.

I do not think these symptomes are in direct connection.

Currently I'm suffering on a heavy cold, I guess.

I think it's slightly better now since it becomes more and more wet.

The appointment in March will be a stomach reflection since I have the feeling that too much gastric acid is produced that cause excessive gulps.

Headaches are a constant mood nowdays. And being tired <.<

It has been full moon, so maybe it could be a cause?

Anyways current weather can easily causes them.

The wind noise already goes on my nerves.

I will not be able to sleep upoming night.

The moment when you think at first you did everything right...

ob2tmls.png

... but you're still forced to redo this chapter.

Edited by Falcom Knight

2 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

The appointment in March will be a stomach reflection since I have the feeling that too much gastric acid is produced that cause excessive gulps.

Thing is, I had alot of breating problems and chokes at night and it was related to my stomach condition.

They are probably not related in your case, but better be safe than sorry

Edited by Shrimperor

I definitely will check anything related to my bronchia because they are very sensible (due to asthma and cigarette smoke and mold allergy).

Since I have an actual life now, I have more reasons than ever to keep it safe and sound.

Also wanted to do a cancer check-up, but it's not offered for men below 40. :<

Even for being "only" a passive smoker, I have made my thoughts about this.

I started playing Azur Lane (and a few other gachas) as a time burner when I can't play on my PC or other consoles and boy oh boy am I glad that Heroes never had a "comment" option when summoning Heroes because reading the comments about certain Azur Lane characters made me cringe a lot.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To counter the Mystic Arte spam, I did have to chuck Treats a lot and sometimes Life Bottles- I ran out against Mr. Brilliant Cataclysm!. Gels being single target makes them shaky, and waiting for the AI to patch me up, even with the relative quickness of Raven's Love Shot, wasn't something I was patient for. Martaaaaaaaa! Where is your Radiant Roar I fire off ASAP as soon as the enemy's done with their Mystic? Double checking an old post I made, it turns out I lowered the final battle to Easy.

Alexei... enough said there. :B):

Well, you can force the AI to use an arte at any time as well.

8 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Duke's Bing Bang can be canceled by an arte of Repede. 

As for this fight the sirup bottles have an actual sense because no one else spams as much with status ailments as him. 

Weakness is the ailment which halves all the starts including HP. 

In general the fellarm form might be the hardest regular final boss in the series, but it also was the most enjoyable one for me. 

The interesting thing is that the fight became easier (in harder difficulties) in the Definitive version since he uses Brave Vesperia always as his first mystic arte. He might not even be able to absorb all possible HP. On easy the fight is harder because it is very difficult to beat him without letting him use one single mystic arte which would be Brave Vesperia then. 

I think the seal artes/skills is much more difficult to deal with than weaken, personally. I hate not being able to combo my artes at all.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

I think the seal artes/skills is much more difficult to deal with than weaken, personally. I hate not being able to combo my artes at all.

Yeah, that sucks. Losing your skills is really awful too, since that means losing boosts granted by them, among them the ability to use items on other allies.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Personally, I wouldn't actually call Xenoblade an Action RPG. Being real-time doesn't inherently make it an Action RPG, Active Time Battle is real-time too. There is a measure of reflexes in Xenoblade, particularly with XC2's addition of the "evasion during execution" Arts technically pioneered by Ghostwalker's runway strut of invincibility, but is it enough to be true Action?

I mean, at any rate, it leans much closer to the action side than the turn-based one. I do think ATB does count as turn-based as well since ATB determines when a character can act. Basically, a turn-based game can be broken down into traditional or ATB and then it's important that not all ATB-based games are real-time. Like, Xenogears is ATB but it's not real-time like Final Fantasy is. But i think the difference between traditional and ATB can be found on how the game categorizies it's turn counts. Is each turn individual or does a turn end when everyone has made their move?

Action RPGs are more vauge because what does an action RPG mean? I agree that Ys, Tales and even Rune Factory fall into this category. But then, what about Zelda games, especially the 2D ones? 2D Zelda is basically older Ys and Rune Factory but without steroids. And yet, no one considers Zelda to be action RPGs. I actually don't see Metroidvanias as action RPGs. To me, those are just more of action platformers. And back to the original point, what about Xenoblade? Sure you aren't hacking and slashing and trying to dodge literally everything that comes your way. You can't pause to heal (though that's not neccisarly exlcusive to action RPGs, Astral Chain lets you do that but like with KIU, i see that game as more pure action) but movement is still an important aspect of Xenoblade with how important positioning is and how you're constantly changing that to have a better advantage against the enemy. And obviously there are no turns in Xenoblade.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The closest to an RPG KI:U comes is weapon traits and quality and fusion. But one RPG aspect does not an RPG make. Speaking of which, I wish the system was easier to get ideal weapons from. Make it transparent these 1-12 numbers that each weapon has which determines the fused weapon, and let me inherit any traits I voluntarily want, within a maximum capacity on the weapon's traits stemming from its Value maximum. Having to farm weapons is okay, but some can handle only so much of that.

I honestly forgot about this, and i'm honestly not surprised. I never could figure out exactly how weapon fusion worked. I just threw things in and hoped i got something good.

HOLY SHIT

This Twitter thread right here might actually be eligible for the Guiness World Records for longest Twitter thread ever. Like, they really did recite the entire Xenoblade Chronicles script. Lasted three months.

Here's the final tweet containing the last of the Xenoblade Chronicles script (spoilering it for obvious reason, it's literally the ending of the game.)

Spoiler

Xenoblade fans are wild. Makes me proud.

Man, either the Hero has a naturally low Wisdom baseline, or something's funny going on. I gave him a personality that has over 100% WIS growth (if not as much), yet he's barely gaining anything. Heck, it's the same as the Warrior, whose personality has a much lower % growth. This will bode bad if I can't get his MP to increase more often. Well, now I know who to give the Seeds of Magic, then...

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I honestly forgot about this, and i'm honestly not surprised. I never could figure out exactly how weapon fusion worked. I just threw things in and hoped i got something good.

This a simple chart showing which type gets made, most of the time:

Weapons_fusion_chart.png

Clubs are those weird big black things here.

The next part of the system to grasp is what makes what specific subtype of weapon within a given type. Every subtype of weapon within a type has a hidden number, ranging from 1-12. For instance, all Royal Blades have a number of 5, and Rose Staffs have a number of 3. 

If we use the above chart, we see that Blade + Staff = Claw. But what specific subtype of Claw is being made from Royal + Rose? For that we take their numbers and add them together, 5 + 3 = 8. And now we check to see what Claw has a number of 8, which is Artillery Claws.

If the combined numbers exceeded 12, what then? Like a clock, it'd cycle back to one and count from there again. So 10 (Aurum) Blade + 11 (Dark Pit) Staff = 9 (Cancer) Claws.

This isn't so bad, if you could see the information in game it'd be easy enough to grasp. The game could've easily explained this numbering with some Zodiac mumbo jumbo of how every weapon resonates differently with the starry skies above. It's the determination of what effects are inherited that makes this system very confusing and anti-easy "perfect" weapons.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Action RPGs are more vauge because what does an action RPG mean? I agree that Ys, Tales and even Rune Factory fall into this category. But then, what about Zelda games, especially the 2D ones? 2D Zelda is basically older Ys and Rune Factory but without steroids. And yet, no one considers Zelda to be action RPGs. I actually don't see Metroidvanias as action RPGs. To me, those are just more of action platformers.

Zelda to me is Action-Adventure, even though the pure "Adventure" genre itself is kinda niche and antiquated nowadays, and probably mostly endures in the Action hybrid. The absence of leveling and plentiful stats to improve keeps Zelda from being too RPG. Only Zelda II, that NES black sheep, is at all an Action RPG to me. Yes, there are RPGs where equipment >>>> stats/level when it comes to what will more easily win the game, but I still don't see BotW as an RPG.

People whine that an early raid of Hyrule Castle in BotW will make Link endgame-strong. But that you could have Link kill 100000 Gold Lynels and be no stronger at all than he was beforehand under the same conditions, is why I can't call Zelda an Action RPG. By contrast, if I have Rex kill 100000 Krabbles before he even meets Pyra, I'm sure he'll be a heckuva lot stronger than if he didn't. Obviously won't make a difference when Dagmara rolls around waaay later, but thats just RPGs putting a ceiling on how strong you can get to keep superbosses super.

As for Metroidvania, well I have usually lumped the Castlevania side in Action RPG, but always, perhaps oddly, thrown Metroid into the Action-Adventure genre. Different from Zelda, but platforming in Metroid is never exactly lasts as an ingame challenge, b/c the infinite Space Jump upgrade neuters most of it at the end.

And going back to the Castlevania side, one could easily remove the more RPG-heavy traits, which higher difficulty settings like Level 1 Hards already do, and get a much purer Action experience. At which point, I'd actually have no problems placing it in the Action-Adventure genre.

This Twitter thread right here might actually be eligible for the Guiness World Records for longest Twitter thread ever. Like, they really did recite the entire Xenoblade Chronicles script. Lasted three months.

Copypasting the script from a text dump webpage wouldn't make it so bad, but this is still one extremely devoted feat. I'd stop after the Sword Valley prologue. Reminds me of the one time I read someone had copied the entire Bible Old and New Testaments alike by hand, this belongs in a similar-ish category.

Also, it reminds me of this I posted once before:

'With Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony, NIS America was looking at a script with 2.4 million Japanese characters. With a rough translation equivalent of two characters to one English word, the 1.2 million-word script alone for Danganronpa V3 would put it ahead of A Dance to the Music of Time, the longest English-language novel at one million words."

trails-size.jpg

Video games are wordy in certain genres. Very wordy, wordier than people give them credit for I guess. As an aside, translators can only operate at about 2000 words per day per translator and still make quality translation. When will parents start telling kids to stop watching TV and read a video game?

Lastly, if you missed it, XSEED explained why Rune Factory 4 Special took some time to bring aboard.

https://nintendoeverything.com/xseed-explains-why-it-took-so-long-for-rune-factory-4-special-to-debut-in-north-america-and-europe/

Mostly technical issues, but adding French and German translations took time too.

The game is apparently 1.7 million Japanese characters or 750000 English words.

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yeah, that sucks. Losing your skills is really awful too, since that means losing boosts granted by them, among them the ability to use items on other allies.

This is true, but I still think losing combo potential is the WORST in that game. It totally throws my synch off when battling.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This a simple chart showing which type gets made, most of the time:

Weapons_fusion_chart.png

Clubs are those weird big black things here.

I think i've seen this chart before. And yeah, the game should've definitly explained how fusion works beyond "you can do it". Reading your explanation, i kinda get it now. 

Zelda to me is Action-Adventure, even though the pure "Adventure" genre itself is kinda niche and antiquated nowadays, and probably mostly endures in the Action hybrid. The absence of leveling and plentiful stats to improve keeps Zelda from being too RPG. Only Zelda II, that NES black sheep, is at all an Action RPG to me. Yes, there are RPGs where equipment >>>> stats/level when it comes to what will more easily win the game, but I still don't see BotW as an RPG.

Agreed (though i'd also argue Zelda II is Action-Adventure). On the subject of adventure games though, that's probably the vaugest genre ever because you could say any game is an adventure. But that's really a can of worms i don't think anybody wants to open. Saying Zelda is an action-adventure game is perfectly fine.

Lastly, if you missed it, XSEED explained why Rune Factory 4 Special took some time to bring aboard.

https://nintendoeverything.com/xseed-explains-why-it-took-so-long-for-rune-factory-4-special-to-debut-in-north-america-and-europe/

Mostly technical issues, but adding French and German translations took time too.

The game is apparently 1.7 million Japanese characters or 750000 English words.

Yeah, i did hear about this. Like, i get it but it would've been nice to know this earlier. Rune Factory 4 Special got it's reveal in the Feburary Nintendo Direct last year. Then it got a trailer at E3 (but it was just on the Xseed YouTube channel and not part of any presentation). And then.............that was it. Not counting the Japanese livestreams, there was a literal lack of updates for the game. The delay wasn't even announced (remember that the game was originally scheduled for 2019), so it's just really bad PR.

Xseed kinda seems to be shitting the bed recently. Apart from RF4S, there's the whole thing with Granblue Fantasy Versus, ArcSys' latest fighting game. The Asian version of the game (not to be confused with the Japanese version) has full English support (and other languages too), complete with the English dubbing. And yet the Western version of the game is being released a month later than the Japanese and Asian versions. Even though the Asian version is literally the Western version. Why exactly is there a delay here? I don't even play Granblue and i'm just baffled here.

In an age where worldwide simultanous releases are becoming more common, wait times between Japanese and Western versions just feel really outdated. 

Edited by Armagon

Mangs finished an ironman, and this has been by far the hardest one (FE11 in lunatic) of the ones he has done yet.

He lost everyone except for Marth and Elise, but completed is completed!

It has to be mentioned because it feels like a wonder of the world to me.

Edited by Falcom Knight