Rate the unit, Day 8&9: Lowen & Marcus

Elieson

Lowen: Forget Raven, Erk, and Eliwood, this is the guy that's most susceptible to being RNG screwed. 30% growths in strength and speed is a really bad combination. Granted his defense is pretty good, but HHM is easy enough that more offense is generally preferred over more defense. 5/10.

Marcus: Nothing to say really. 10/10.

You have a good point, but I'm not going to show Lowen any mercy. I mean, 30% growths in 4 stats (including two of the most important ones)? Really?? It's because of that that my rating of 5 stands.

What's your point? 30% sounds good enough to me.

You have a good point, but I'm not going to show Lowen any mercy. I mean, 30% growths in 4 stats (including two of the most important ones)? Really?? It's because of that that my rating of 5 stands.

A 30% growth in Resistance for a physical unit is actually really good. As for Str/Skl/Spd, it is unfortunate but it's also enough for most of FE7's terrible enemies. WTC, being around all game and great move help his cause, although his reliance on the RNG and competition for a promotion item can hurt. I'd go with 7/10.

As for Marcus, I'd go with 9/10 since his mediocre growths can hurt him later on, unlike Seth and Titania. Then again, I play almost exclusively ranked, so I've never really let him loose early on or given him a Speedwing.

A 30% growth in Resistance for a physical unit is actually really good. As for Str/Skl/Spd, it is unfortunate but it's also enough for most of FE7's terrible enemies. WTC, being around all game and great move help his cause, although his reliance on the RNG and competition for a promotion item can hurt. I'd go with 7/10.

Granted, 30% Res growth isn't that bad for a physical unit, but 30% in ALL THREE of Str/Skl/Spd (Str/Spd in particular being more important)??? I can't help but find it hard to praise Lowen in light of this (and while it's beside the point, his personailty doesn't really help).

Edited by Metal King Slime

Haar only has a 30% spd growth.

Palla only has a 30% spd growth (peg - draco).

Dieck only has a 30% spd growth.

Amazing bases go a long way and Lowen's bases are solid, especially for this game.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this - Lowen just doesn't have the oomph either of the aforementioned three have.

Marcus - 10/10

Come on. You can probably solo EHM with him (maybe not Final?) because he's just that awesome. I hate using him, but the fact remains that he has amazing bases, early join time, and passable growths even if his bases sucked.

Lowen - 6.5/10

I have a hard time rating Lowen, actually, because he's either really useful or really useless depending on how you play. As I do S rank, mostly, I'll go from that perspective. Lowen has pretty mediocre offense, and in a game where javelin raping during EP actually works fairly well even in the highest difficulty (unlike H5/H3 *cough*), that's a huge point against him. However, Lowen has decent bases, especially once you consider he's level 1 to begin with, and they carry his fail-ass offensive growths a decent portion of the way. However, Lowen is not quite like Palla/Haar, I'm sorry. He eventually outgrows his bases (unlike 16 SPD for Palla, which, even with 30% growth, means she'll outspeed Catria for a while; and even when she doesn't, she meets draco SPD cap comfortably and can double in SM for most of the game and for massive damage to boot because of her like 60% STR growth as a pegasus), which in this case is a bad thing. Never mind that you have Sain and Kent, who get LHM to train up (and will get level 8-9 even on S rank runs, and way more if you feed), and now Lowen starts to look like more work for no pay.

However, have you ever done chapters like Kinship's Bond with Sain/Kent, especially if they're DEF cursed at all? I'm sorry, but even in FE7, DEF/RES counts for something; you actually need to be able to survive the attacks to jav counter them, and Lowen can live through it better. And if his offense is good enough (and especially if he's even slightly SPD/STR blessed), he might actually turn out to be better than his red/green counterparts.

Lowen has a problem because he tends to face competition, but at least he's in a class where you can field 2-4 of them in most chapters and not be punished for it. So you can use Sain, Lowen, and Marcus and do just fine (and, in larger maps, that may be a godsend). If it weren't for his move, I'd probably rate him a 5, but 6.5 seems reasonable. He makes a good backup for a cav that's stat cursed, or even in addition to them.

Lowen: 8.3/10

Average stat grwths all around is not so bad when you think about it. So many of us like glass cannons.Well, Lowen isn't that, but he's never really is going to be SO slow that he doesn't double Warriors or something past Dreaded Ilse. His str is a little low, but axes fix that. Oh yes, speaking of axes, he even has a con lead over Kent and Sain. Yep, he's suffering less AS loss, can tank better than the chriscavs in both aspects and can match Kent's damage output with Axes just fine. Now we're considering LHM here, so the Chirtmas cavaliers have a much better rating obviously, but suppose they didn't, you'd really know how ueful he is from the getgo.

Marcus: 9/10

Almost Seth. 'Nuff said.

Edited by Marth

BEing able to do decent damage, and never dying is good.

And, he has enough con to use steel swords as a cav..........

But, aside from Eliwood, ISadora, Harken and MArcus.

who's he gonna support.

Eliwood may not be used a lot in HHM.

Isa comes a wee bit late.

Harken comes late.

MArcus offers IcexFire..........

lol Becca

Lowen - 6.5/10

I have a hard time rating Lowen, actually, because he's either really useful or really useless depending on how you play. As I do S rank, mostly, I'll go from that perspective. Lowen has pretty mediocre offense, and in a game where javelin raping during EP actually works fairly well even in the highest difficulty (unlike H5/H3 *cough*), that's a huge point against him. However, Lowen has decent bases, especially once you consider he's level 1 to begin with, and they carry his fail-ass offensive growths a decent portion of the way. However, Lowen is not quite like Palla/Haar, I'm sorry. He eventually outgrows his bases (unlike 16 SPD for Palla, which, even with 30% growth, means she'll outspeed Catria for a while; and even when she doesn't, she meets draco SPD cap comfortably and can double in SM for most of the game and for massive damage to boot because of her like 60% STR growth as a pegasus), which in this case is a bad thing. Never mind that you have Sain and Kent, who get LHM to train up (and will get level 8-9 even on S rank runs, and way more if you feed), and now Lowen starts to look like more work for no pay.

However, have you ever done chapters like Kinship's Bond with Sain/Kent, especially if they're DEF cursed at all? I'm sorry, but even in FE7, DEF/RES counts for something; you actually need to be able to survive the attacks to jav counter them, and Lowen can live through it better. And if his offense is good enough (and especially if he's even slightly SPD/STR blessed), he might actually turn out to be better than his red/green counterparts.

Lowen has a problem because he tends to face competition, but at least he's in a class where you can field 2-4 of them in most chapters and not be punished for it. So you can use Sain, Lowen, and Marcus and do just fine (and, in larger maps, that may be a godsend). If it weren't for his move, I'd probably rate him a 5, but 6.5 seems reasonable. He makes a good backup for a cav that's stat cursed, or even in addition to them.

Personally, I don't quite see the point of Lowen never dying when his counters aren't packing much in the way of oomph... and since javelins don't have much Mt to begin with, Lowen will be leaving a lot of crap alive.

Personally, I don't quite see the point of Lowen never dying when his counters aren't packing much in the way of oomph... and since javelins don't have much Mt to begin with, Lowen will be leaving a lot of crap alive.

There is something called axes now. Specifically hand azxes.

There is something called axes now. Specifically hand azxes.

Woohoo, now Lowen has 1 extra MT (than he'd have with a javelin, anyway). Too bad he's still leaving enemies alive due to horrid offense. And there's still the issue of accuracy.

Turn around so I can slap you on the back of the head.

Popeslap.jpg

Lowen: 7/10. His bases and growths are alright for this game and can last him fairly long.

Marcus: 10/10. 'nuff said

Kent's 14/1 average str: 12.2

Lowen's 14/1 average str: 11.6

Doesn't look that different to me!

Lowen, I give a 8/10. I have used him very efficiently in the past. If your doing a slower play through and you like rebecca stick those two together and supports them. They rape the entire game.

Oh yeah Marcus 10/10

Edited by JaketheGr3at

Woohoo, now Lowen has 1 extra MT (than he'd have with a javelin, anyway). Too bad he's still leaving enemies alive due to horrid offense. And there's still the issue of accuracy.

Sain himself isn't very accurate and he's somehow in top tier, huh? And Kent doesn't really hit hard- Lowen's growths aren't that bad really.

tallied up

I discounted a few (well, 1) bullshit or obvious trolling attempts in ratings, and counted all 11s as 10s

swordsalmon's marcus/10 was also treated as a 10

lowen: 6.75

marcus: 9.29

I guess I'll edit in Eliwood in a minute

eliwood- 5.34

Edited by Dave Strider

I'd give Lowen a 5.5/10

Most of it has been said earlier.

Marcus gets a 9.5/10

Depends on how you play the game. If your going for a ranked run, then his exp sapping is not very useful. However, he is invaluable at making many spots easier in the game. And he has the base stats to be useful even late game.