Rate the unit, Day 8&9: Lowen & Marcus

Elieson

So sorry...holidays skew me down something fierce. 2 kids and lots of wrapping/family stuff mean no web time for Eli. Because it is christmas, I am giving out two mount rankings at once, to catch up!

Lowen. First offensive mount (along with Marcus, until Kent/Sain). Defensive tank on a horse. Mediocre offense. Mounted durable unit is pretty much always useful. Easy weapon triangle balance. Poor eyesight must hurt that str growth of his.

My rating, 5/10. He can go either way.

Marcus. Efficiency king! Gets full WTA control. Also prepromoted...saves a knight crest for someone else. Good enough bases and growths that he can make it into lategame without getting too far behind.

My rating, 9/10. I thank SF for, enlightening me on his benefits towards efficiency.

Disclaimer: all ratings should be based on the assumption that the game is being played on HHM. Also, unit rating is organized based on availability starting at their first available playable chapter.

Current ranks:

Hector-8.3

Matthew-6.3

Oswin-6.7

Serra-6.3

Bartre-2.8

Dorcas-4.1

Eliwood- tabbing. Holidays slow me down bad.

**************EDIT*******************

ALL RATINGS ARE HHM, AS IN LHM/HHM ONLY

Uhh. . .

Lowen: Somewhat tanky, but his other stats aren't that spectacular. If he defies his Strength/Speed average, it's hilarious. He gains a lot from his supports, but I don't know why I'd support him with Becky. Marcus gives him hit and evade with a smidge of attack and defense, Eliwood gives him some much-needed damage, Isadora comes late but helps with hit and evade, and Harken has problems keeping up. He gets a little extra for cooking. (5/10)

Marcus: The earlygame god on a horse, whose only weakness is the RNG dictating his death. His support is defensive, but lolMerlinus. He can wield all sorts of nifty things immediately, and with enemy density and the shop in Chapter 13, it's not long before he'll have enough weapon rank to go nuts with the Silver Axe you get on Chapter 15. He's got enough skill to laugh at WTD, and he's on a horse, to boot. The faster he is, the longer he'll stay with you. (9.5/10)

Lowen - He's pretty solid earlygame due to his very nice base stats and weapon ranks, but his growths really set him back and promotion item competition sets him back ever futher. I'm always confused when he's referred to Oswin on a horse, his strength is awful compared to Oswin. Still, he has a horse, and can cart people around if needed.

7/10

Marcus - 11/10

Edited by General Horace

Lowen.

Axes after promotion can help that strength,

And being durable as heck helps.

8/10.

His only flaws are low strength and speed growwths, and he has to consume a crest.

Marcus.

10/10.

Give him a speedwing, and he's like Seth/Titania.

ALso, he's capable of using any lance/sword/axe-

BUT Silver axes, and tomahawks

At base.

Lowen: 5/10. Meh. Thanks to FE7 enemies sucking, he has little over Sain and Kent. I consider him the epitome of "jack of all stats, but master of none" as far as FE is concerned.

Marcus: 9/10. Can't really say much that hasn't been said already.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Lowen.

Hes that guy who like, has no eyeballs but hits all the things. Sadly he doesnt hit them very hard and never quite does. Hes pretty speedy though and has some great defense. But overall he isnt the best out of the cavs. Not to say he isnt good.

Pros:

Good defense

Decent Speed

horse/Paladin class

Cons:

Strength growth is kinda dumpy.

6/10 (7/10 personal bias score. I kinda like Lowen.)

Marcus.

oh god Marcus. Marcus is this guy on a horse who doesnt afraid of anything. Hes the "Jeigan" of the game but isnt too shitty.

Give him a speedwing, and he's like Seth/Titania.

Really? Srsly? I should try that...

Anyway, dude's got mad skillz yo! Early game, he can tear shit up! Hes also pretty great because utility. Rescuedrops etc. Yeah Marcus...Hes not exactly a bro you wanna bench unless your team is like God Tier. Still he can taper off in later chapters...

Pros:

Super awesome paladin man.

Utility kicks ass.

Heavy hitting.

Great weapon ranks.

Weapon Triangle.

Decent supports.

Cons:

Still a Jeigan. Therefore exp eater if used too much in combat.

Speed gets meh after awhile. (maybe try Creeper's trick with the speedwing? I gotta try that shit, man...)

Exp cost is high.

9/10 for Marcus mang. Hes just really useful...

Lowen: he's a cav and he defends well which means that he gets beastly enemy phase if he actually can ORKO stuff, and Oswin-on-a-horses decently (aside from the offensive part) otherwise which is kinda nice on some maps like 13x. So not super-great for clearing stuff quickly, but often good enough if for some reason you aren't using Marcus or Isadora. Plus the usual benefits of cav rescue utility. 6/10.

Marcus: he can really only fall behind in Final if ever. That's really not enough to dock him any points; being like "nobody's perfect so nobody gets 10/10" is silly imo, so 10/10.

I'll give Lowen and 8/10. Lowen has a solid start, and boasts some of the best defensive growths in the game. His offense is a bit mediocre, but I feel that his str/skl/speed growths get a lot of unwarranted negative hype for no reason other than they "look" bad. In reality, Lowen's strength is not much worse than Kent's, and his speed is not much worse than Sain's.

Marcus gets a 10/10. He's a pro to start with, and stays that way throughout the game.

Lowen- He's alright. Kinda outshone by LHMskip KentSain and doesn't have the best offense growths, but promotion WTC is still awesome and enemies are ass slow in HHM anyway. plus if KentSain didn't get anything in LHM (say if I wanted to focus on Lucius training or something) he gets a pretty good lead over them. Mobile tank is always nice. 7/10.

Marcus- 11/10

Fucking god

also really hot

but yeah god

In the earlygame, Lowen is doing alright for himself. He boasts rather average offenses with 7str/7spd, which gives him no-frills combat(3HKOing and not doubling), though with only 30% growths in both, don't expect his offense to be anything spectacular. He does, however, boast decent durability with 23HP/7 def with 90HP/40def growths. His base is enough to get 3HKO'd by brigands and 4-5HKO'd by most anything else, or around the same as Hector. Not bad. And Lowen has a mount, which gives him a huge advantage over Oswin. Also, of note is his 10 con, which allows Lowen to use steel swords w/o AS loss unpromoted, and once there, can use Iron Blades and Hand axes with no speed loss.

Going into midgame, Lowen's durability allows him to be exposed to more enemies, but at the same time, he doesn't do a whole lot back. To elaborate, 10/0 Lowen has 30HP/10def to work with, which gets him 4HKO'd by the strongest enemy on the map(a steel lance armor). 10/0 Kent and Sain would get 3HKO'd by the same guy, which comes to show how much a 2-3 def lead can mean. However, Lowen's offense is worse than either cav at this level; Lowen would do 12/27 to a C17 merc using an iron lance, or a 3RKO. Sain would do a full 16 damage to this same merc, cleanly 2HKOing him. Hell, Sain could use a sword and he'd still be able to kill the merc in 2 hits. And against wyvern knights in C21, 15/1 Lowen, with his 37HP/14def, is 5-6HKO'd by steel lance WK's with WTA, while 15/1 Kent/Sain get 3HKO'd by them. Not bad.

However, I find Lowen's inferior offense to my disliking, and that he's not worth cresting over Kent, Sain, or Oswin. But I'll give him points for being Oswin on a horse.

I'll do Marcus some other time.

Lowen: He's not great offensively, but he's good in terms of defense, which I like. 75%.

Marcus: Capable of carrying the whole game on his shoulders. Unreliable growths (namely speed and defense), however. 95%.

Lowen:

he's okay. but the thing is, both Sain and Kent are slightly better, and can already be trained through LHM

5/10

Marcus:

When used early he really cuts into the experience the other characters need so desperately. when starting to use him late, his bases are just terrible. though I have to admit, early unequipped shielding and quick village rescue missions make his score go way up.

7/10

I don't think people should put one unit's score down just because other units do it better. Lowen does well for himself. If you think Sain and Kent are better than Lowen, then give them better scores when it will finally be their turn to be rated, but don't make it sound like Lowen's got his own rating lowered just because Sain/Kent are better.

I gave Lowen 7.5 here, but I'm probably going to be giving Kent 8 - 8.5 and Sain 9.

But that's just what I think, hopefully it will influence a few other opinions.

Lowen - 7/10. Decent, but seeing as how Lyn Mode is assumed Sain will probably be better.

Marcus 9/10. High movement, amazing stats and great availability. The only thing keeping him from a perfect score is the fact he can't fly.

Lowen: I was gonna give him a 6, but Raven makes a good point. 8 because he can stand up to most anything and his offence is good enough for FE7. ...and he has a horse.

Marcus is a 10. Herp.

I don't think people should put one unit's score down just because other units do it better. Lowen does well for himself. If you think Sain and Kent are better than Lowen, then give them better scores when it will finally be their turn to be rated, but don't make it sound like Lowen's got his own rating lowered just because Sain/Kent are better.

I gave Lowen 7.5 here, but I'm probably going to be giving Kent 8 - 8.5 and Sain 9.

But that's just what I think, hopefully it will influence a few other opinions.

You have a good point, but I'm not going to show Lowen any mercy. I mean, 30% growths in 4 stats (including two of the most important ones)? Really?? It's because of that that my rating of 5 stands.

Edited by Metal King Slime