Rate the unit, Day 11: Guy

Elieson

after a hellish week I'm trying to come back around. Raven, thanks again for helping me out on rebecca.

You all know how my drill works. LHM and HHM assumed.

HHM Guy. Gets h h m bonuses. Sword locked. Low durability, but he is what you would expect from a myrm. Free killing edge.

I give him a 5.5. That chilling at you make his recruitment really useful, even if you do not use him as a fighter.

Current ranks:

Hector-8.3

Matthew-6.3

Oswin-6.7

Serra-6.3

Bartre-2.8

Dorcas-4.1

Eliwood-5.34

Lowen-6.75

Marcus-9.29

Rebecca-3.13 (srsly, she is the 3.13 archer after all)

Edited by Elieson

Good offense early on, hero crest competition is only beaten by Raven.

Also, naturally doubling everything is nice.

Along with

Matt and

Prissy support....

But he does have low durability, low strength, and sword lock=no 2 range

Outside of lolLight brands and Rare Runeswords.

But, he's decent, but a lot of units would be optimal>him past earlygame-early mid game.

Mounts-5 pallies, 1 valk, 5 fliers, and one NTrooper

Healers-2

Lucius/Erk/Canas ??

Pent+maybe Louise

Raven

Hawkeye/Harken/Geitz/Jaffar

Eliwood/Lyn-if you really want another mount/wyvern killer/dont need the extra cash.

And

Theives

hard mode bonuses make him really useful. he's an evader, not a shield, which means no need of a healer on the front lines when you train him well.

Even when you won't train him, he's very useful in the chapter where you protect Merlinus. And not to forget, he gains you a killing edge!

Good bases and decent growths. Swordlock sucks. though. Lack of 2 range hurts a lot and enemies are balls slow and not hard to hit so his accurate damage isn't something special, especially since he doesn't do a hell lot of it. But he's plenty usable and isn't utter crap like some of the other guys.

5.8/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Guy is this...guy who can squish things pretty quickly early on. His strength growth isnt that fantastic but it isnt horrible. Every time ive used him, he tends to get a bit on the tanky side a bit later on. (after promotion) Hes quick and decent and the best Swordie in the game. Sadly this is a game where Swordies kinda smell.

6/10

He has an adorable braid, so he'll get a little extra. In the short term, Guy is awesome. Unfortunately, there's these things called lances, and he really hates them. He shares a stellar Strength growth with Lowen, so if the RNG decides to be uncooperative, it's gonna hurt.

5/10, since there's no way in hell he's outdoing Lowen.

Guy is pretty good. He's really useful once you get him, although Raven tends to outshadow Guy a bit from Wherabouts Unknown unless Guy gets STR blessed.

Guy's HHM bonuses help tremendously, especially any STR/HP bonus he can get -- the former helps shore against his rather crappy STR growth. I never found being swordlocked THAT big of an issue (even in lancefest FE7), mainly because I never abused hand axe use for Raven until late in the game (and honestly, cavs charge ahead and jav rape everything anyways). However, having a Guy with 20 SPD/SKL early on means he's guaranteed to have hax dodge (esp. with smart forest tile use), and if STR blessing goes your way, Guy's a damn beast combat-wise.

Promotion gives Guy 15% crit, which is a nice bonus to compensate for no axe use imo, and he basically has insane crit rates late in the game and guaranteed doubling (15% crit + 30% crit from KE + 10-14% crit from massive SKL = 50-55% crit chance), which gives him huge scaling from STR. Guy's performance is seriously dependent on that one stat, and it makes the variance on his performance on a playthrough by playthrough standpoint absolutely massive.

I put him slightly higher than Lowen overall (better combat, but less MOV) and roughly on par with Rebecca.

Rating: 7/10

Bartre/Raven usually want the crest and he just never really works out.

Wait, wait...you give Bartre a crest over Guy?

I mean, there are reasons why you wouldn't want to put Guy in your final team, but Bartre? Bartre?!

;/

I have a thing for recruiting everyone and usually want to promote him soon so he can level up for Karla and also being Swordlocked isn't that great for my usual teams. Plus there are really only two viable crests before it starts getting pretty late for promoting.

;/

I have a thing for recruiting everyone and usually want to promote him soon so he can level up for Karla and also being Swordlocked isn't that great for my usual teams.

Fair enough, I suppose; Karla kind of sucks, though, and isn't worth recruiting unless you really want the feeling of 100% completion.

Free KE; but I'd give that to Raven who's a better unit overall. He has a good affinity; and can get full ATK and CRIT supports via Prissy and Matt, although 30% STR growth is piss; and so does his durability.

So...

First off, Guy's(pronounced 'ghee' and not 'guy') earlygame combat is great compared to most other people in your party. 13 AS is literally the highest speed out of your initial group(Matt needs to be Lv6 on average to beat this by 1), which goes down to 11 using a killing edge(stupid 5 con.). And he has a 70% growth(tied with Matt and the street urchins for highest in the game)and a 30 cap just to overkill it. So you know that Guy is going to double literally everything in the game, though he can't use heavy weapons early on because his con is fucking awful.

However, speed isn't everything, as you can't kill anything if you can't do good damage, and that's where Guy falls flat. The guy(no pun intended)has a decent 8 str base which gives him 17 atk with his killing edge, which is pretty nice earlygame, but he has an 'epic' 30% str growth, which means that his damage is going to get comparatively worse as the game progresses(15/1 Guy only has 14 str, giving him 19 atk with an iron sword, which is worse than 15/1 Raven's 24 atk with an iron axe), which means that he'll be reliant on his 15% crit bonus if he wants to ORKO later on(though thankfully he has 54 crit with his KE at 15/1 in a game where enemies have 0 luck, so it's all good.) And being sword locked does not help his combat any, which also has the side effect of not having 2 range outside of the C23 prism sword(the runesword comes too late to be even remotely useful and fuck Germ's version of PFoD because Kenneth's version gives better items). This means that Guy can get mugged by mages and archers. Not good.

Guy's durability isn't horrid, but there's much better out there. While his HP is pretty good at 25 with a 75% growth, his defense is awful with 6 base and a 15% growth, which means that he's generally getting 3-4HKO'd by most things, and facing constant WTD means that his avoid isn't anything special.

Overall, he's decent and worth blowing a hero crest on.

Edited by darkandroid125

Nice starting offense, but as stated, swordlock sucks in this lancefest/rangefest that this game is. Can't compete with Raven when he shows up. Nice earlygame, but very easy to dump. It's like having Fir if she came earlier when she'd actually be helpful

6/10

The guy is great up until ~chapter 20. But that's when his lack of strength growth really shines through, and it all starts to go downhill from there. His earlygame is great since his strength is sufficient enough to deal with the majority of frail enemies that show up before Ch.20. 9/10 there.

From Ch.20, he needs to promote or else. He needs the 15% crit and a Killing Edge to reliably kill or else. This puts a lot of pressure on the user to keep him in the team as a reliable offensive unit. 4/10 there.

Lategame/endgame, he's pretty useless. 1/10 there.

Raven's rating: 47%

Guy's offense is really not that great actually speaking. I mean, he just relies on his killing edge to do ANYTHING, it has only 20 uses, and if you're saving the KE so he can last up to chapter 20, well, you're using him poorly. Not only that, but it shows he ain't real useful in earlygame at all.

So what if he can't use killing edge once its over? He can use Iron and Steel Swords... yeah right. Iron sword is horrible on guy, a unit who gets his attack power easily screwed. Even with Steel Sword he can only KO mages, and getting a 5 AS loss as a myrmidon. Horrible compared to Raven's 2 AS loss. So what if he can double the shit out of other enemy units? He doesn't do anything reliable. He has no horse like Lowen, can't attack from range like Rebecca, can't heal like Serra, and can certainly not power through units like Marcus.

He gets points for somewhat good lategame potential. I've never really liked Guy, so...

4/10. Yes, Bartre's rating. At least Bartre wields axes and can use bows on promotion.