Rate the Unit, Day 30: Geitz

Thor Odinson

I would say that Geitz makes a good warrior out of all of the GBA warriors.

At least you won't need to burn a Hero Crest to get that good Axe and Bow rank!

So...

7.75/10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not horrible by any means, but GBA Warriors tend to suck testicles. But Geitz sucks less than the other two mooks you get in this game. His recruitment sucks (especially in HHM), because you have to waste a spot with Dart, who isn't used that often unless you're super casual or want your Funds to commit suicide. The thing is, you have Hector and Hawkeye, plus a whole slew of mounted axe users (Marcus and Isadora and most likely a promoted Sain) and other axe users (promoted Raven, promoted Oswin) who are better than him. He is the most reliable of bow users, able to use Brave Bows out of the gate, and he's got decent Strength to use them too. His Resistance sucks but so does the Resistance of every other axe user not named Hawkeye. He's a good unit by his class standards, but when it comes to axe users in general, he's at the bottom of the pack (really only ahead of Dorcas, Bartre, and Dart).

6.75/10

I'll be honest, I love Geitz. I love using him as an archer. I love his starting Bow rank and his Strength. I love him as a unit... but I don't really know why. He's a solid performer. And that's... kind of it. He's solid. I forget why I like him so damn much.

Oh wait, I do: If you have the Brave Bow and haven't used it up by the time he joins (unlikely given the options to use it), you can throw that in his hands and let him smoke bitches for a while. Oh what's that, the Brave Bow too heavy for you Archer pussies? Man that 12 Wt kills the shit out of your AS doesn't it Wil and Rebecca? You know whose AS it doesn't kill the shit out of? Geitz and his whopping 13 CON. Rebecca don't match that until she's like 20/8. Wil doesn't match that until 20/18. And Geitz only gets faster, because he's just --/3 with a 40% growth. So practically speaking, Wil never matches his AS. Granted that advantage disappears once you're using Silver instead, but Geitz still has the Strength lead. And Axes. Did I mention the guy has Axes? Because he has Axes. He doesn't really even need 'em, but he's got 'em. Good rank too.

God I love Geitz. Still, I have to knock off a little bias from my original thoughts and give him a 7.5/10 because of availability and whatnot. If nothing else he's fantastic Brave Bow filler. Use it, break it, bench him. If somebody needs to be hit 4 times at 2 range with 19+ STR, he's pretty much the best there is.

Edited by Renall

I don't think it's fair to rank him based on playthroughs where he doesn't exist. Ratings should measure how much they help you when you use them. Yes, poor availability can factor in to how much they help you, but taking into account the times where you don't use the units seems counter intuitive to me.

I don't think it's fair to rank him based on playthroughs where he doesn't exist. Ratings should measure how much they help you when you use them. Yes, poor availability can factor in to how much they help you, but taking into account the times where you don't use the units seems counter intuitive to me.

Didn't you hear? All the cool kids mindlessly emulate dondon and his hyper-specific runthrough conditions. Get with the program :newyears:

I've seen one in ChinaFE as well, Thracia 0% growths female+Leaf only. It wasn't lowturns, though, since I just skipped to endgame and it said they took 65 turns to wait the reinforcements out. That's...not very lowturnslike.

Then again, they don't have Sety and Galzus.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Can you link me to any 0% growth playthrough other than dondon's? Go ahead. I'll wait.

:facepalm:

Doing the playthrough yourself =/= adopting the conditions of the playthrough for character evaluations. Proof's in the pudding: why else would everyone be jumping aboard the Geitz Dun Exist bandwagon? Besides, dondon was being facetious, as was I. Time for some R&R, everybody.

:facepalm:

Doing the playthrough yourself =/= adopting the conditions of the playthrough for character evaluations.

What precisely did you say?

"All the cool kids mindlessly emulate dondon and his hyper-specific runthrough conditions."

dondon is by far best known for his 0% growth runs, which seem to be the primary thing that he does. Nobody emulates these runs, and typically when they do they don't play for efficient goals (for example that FE5 PT doesn't adjust scrolls or try for an perfect S Rank). And at the same time, nobody is ranking these characters on the basis of "oh what if all the growths are set to 0%". It's true that most people do seem to put a lot of weight on beating the game in a low number of turns, but that's hardly "mindlessly emulating dondon's exact playthrough conditions", since they are taking growths into consideration as well.

So I don't think that you're correct that anyone on this board mindlessly emulates dondon. Perhaps we're just not "cool" enough.

The only good Bow user .Also Axes and good Stats .

But he's never there .

6/10

Edit :

I can see why many People "emulate" dondon .

Because he is correct with most things regarding Fire emblem .

Edited by Schlafo Zobeni

What precisely did you say?

"All the cool kids mindlessly emulate dondon and his hyper-specific runthrough conditions."

[insert redundancy here]

Not complicated, but here's a second attempt at explaining it for you. dondon's made one particular way to play Fire Emblem stylish and relevant, but that doesn't preclude other ways to play. Of course, dondon himself realizes this, so his "Geitz doesn't exist" comment was obviously a playful one. I was simply pointing out that, since people tend to gravitate towards greatness, they've adopted those same standards as the only "relevant" ones, which is indeed mindless.

Not that I'm completely against donny emulation, mind. SF is always in need of more thoughtful posters and discussion.

EDIT: If you want some evidence that what I'm saying is 100% true (as usual), look no further than the dondon defense force (DDF) flaring up after my obviously sarcastic remark.

Edited by Doomguy

Though, training Eliwood and Lyn up to level 15 and Hector to 20 or something of equal annoyingness really takes some slowdown to do so, and in efficient play, it's not something that can be achieved easily. Efficiency and Ranked are the two major ways to determine a character's worth on these boards. While in ranked, you can probably get Hector/Eli/Lyn to the 50+ levels in order to get Geitz, some people rate only based on efficiency, and getting 3 5-move units, even though one of them is free on all chapters, 50 levels in total is quite a difficult task there and honestly rather inefficient in itself, so Geitz might as well not exist in efficiency. Some people are probably emulating dondon, yes, but I don't think everyone is based on the premises of these ratings.

Hell, I wasn't even aiming for lowturns on my last run (it was pretty damn slow. I can't play HHM all that fast unlike FE6 or FE8 unless I actually try to) and just went with whatever, and I found Eliwood especially difficult to raise. Granted, I probably had an especially shitty Eliwood (cbf to check right now), but he doesn't double like Lyn and does terrible damage to anything that isn't on a horse, and he doesn't tank like Hector. I think I managed 18/15/11 as their respective levels, which is 6 levels away from getting Geitz. And then Lyn kinda dies to two hits to everything so you can't let her see too many enemies. It's...not that easy without some serious babying and slowdown.

But I do think that units shouldn't be rated based on how annoying their recruitment is, but rather what they bring to the team once recruited.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Though, training Eliwood and Lyn up to level 15 and Hector to 20 or something of equal annoyingness really takes some slowdown to do so, and in efficient play, it's not something that can be achieved easily. Efficiency and Ranked are the two major ways to determine a character's worth on these boards. While in ranked, you can probably get Hector/Eli/Lyn to the 50+ levels in order to get Geitz, some people rate only based on efficiency,

Exactly right. In efficiency, Geitz never exists; in ranking, he always exists; and in "basic" (i.e. casual) play, he exists 50% of the time. I just feel it's silly- and even a bit condescending- to seriously imply that Geitz never exists in "proper" FE7 play.

EDIT: If you want some evidence that what I'm saying is 100% true (as usual), look no further than the dondon defense force (DDF) flaring up after my obviously sarcastic remark.

So while your original statement was tongue in cheek and you didn't actually mean it, you're going to say that it's true and you believe it's true?

So while your original statement was tongue in cheek and you didn't actually mean it, you're going to say that it's true and you believe it's true?

Something can be both tongue-in-cheek and still true, you know. Look, this is an irrelevant discussion that's derailing a dead topic. Bottom line, it's silly in my eyes to seriously evaluate a unit based on one narrowly-construed set of criteria.

Proof's in the pudding: why else would everyone be jumping aboard the Geitz Dun Exist bandwagon?

Because Eliwood is shit, Lyn without Wind Across The Plains Mode is shit and with is still a fucking myrmidon (admittedly Mani Katti rocks) and Hector isn't exactly the greatest fighter ever.

To get Geitz, you need a combined level of FIFTY.

Edited by Furetchen

Because Eliwood is shit, Lyn without Wind Across The Plains Mode is shit and with is still a fucking myrmidon (admittedly Mani Katti rocks) and Hector isn't exactly the greatest fighter ever.

To get Geitz, you need a combined level of FIFTY.

And you'll go out of your way to do so, because the Linus version of that chapter is about fifty times superior in a ranking run, fifty levels or not.

I don't think most people have dondon in mind if they're doing that. And if they're rating low they don't necessarily even practice efficiency.

Influence is rarely explicit, brah

Edited by Doomguy