Rate the Unit, Day 41: Renault

Thor Odinson

I actually didn't like Wallace as a unit before, but he helped me out massively in my latest EHM run, where everyone I was using except for Rath got so significantly screwed (especially Kent) that they couldn't keep themselves alive in CoD. I finally used Wallace as a wall, so that the others could steal kills with ranged weaponry/magic. He soaked up hits and didn't die. I have a bit more respect for him after that. But, of course, this HHM, not EHM.

I think Renault is probably getting decent scores because people figure that sure he can't contribute much, but that's way better than Wallace or Wil being detrimental.

Wil's the same as Renault. Mildly useful in his joining chapter and then never fielded again.

I'll give him a 0.5/10.

There isn't much to say about Renault. An A-rank in staves is nice, and I guess he could fill in if you desperately needed another staff-user in the last few chapters.

3/10, with one point being given for being a pretty cool guy.

0.5/10. A staves is useful, but I just can't bring myself to overlook that 12 mag base. Ugh... Doesn't help that at this point, you already have Pent, as well as possibly Lucius/Serra/Priscilla for A staves.

Clutch fortify for his joining chapter, which can be superbly useful...if you just need a desperate heal. Bench him when you are done killing Limstella.

2.5 / 10

I only see him as support fodder (at least his backstory is intriguing; pain in the ass to uncover, though). As soon as I finish his supports (just Bartre left), I'm gonna stop bringing him along to Final.

Remember, there's literally 2 chapters he can be in. It doesn't matter if he's useless, there's no harm in getting him.

That being said, 2/10. Fortify is a nice staff, and he's a pretty chill dude. But he sucks. Why would Nergal ever do experiments with him.

Renault may have a fail Magic stat, but his high durability means that he performs a good job at healing. Also comes with the Fortify staff, which is absolutely amazing.

Only real problem is that his Fortify staff he shows up in VoD, which is ridiculously late in the game.

4/10: He's surprisingly good for such a late joiner, but then again, we're coming off of Karla. ANYONE would look good compared to Karla except Amelia, but she's not even in this game

ANYONE would look good compared to Karla except Amelia, but she's not even in this game

I daresay Wendy would make Karla look good in comparison.

Possibility to be an endgame staffer if you didn't raise one. Otherwise 2.5/10 he's not the worst character in the game like most people think but he's still bad :/

Extra .5 for awesome backstory.

But you always have an endgame staffer available. His name is Athos.

You dont use Athos for his offensive destruction? I guess you don't have to

Edited by Elieson

You dont use Athos for his offensive destruction? I guess you don't have to

I think it's more to do with the fact that there's almost no reason to bring Renault to endgame - a sentiment I agree with, to be sure.