Rate the Unit, Day 41: Renault

Thor Odinson

Rate the Unit, Day 41: Renault

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on LHM and HHM. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Make votes easily visible, please~! ##Vote:

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 EST. Do the math for your timezone.

Scores (in ascending order)

Karla: 0.39

Wallace: 1.12

Nino: 1.65

Wil: 1.85

Bartre: 2.78

Rebecca: 2.84

Dart: 3.86

Karel: 4.01

Dorcas: 4.19

Rath: 4.28

Canas: 5.07

Eliwood: 5.34

Louise: 5.52

Vaida: 5.53

Guy: 5.71

Farina: 5.95

Erk: 6.01

Jaffar: 6.03

Lyn: 6.07

Matthew: 6.17

Serra: 6.27

Geitz: 6.50

Legault: 6.55

Lowen: 6.71

Lucius: 6.94

Oswin: 6.98

Hawkeye: 7.21

Isadora: 7.24

Hector: 7.63

Heath: 7.67

Fiora: 7.99

Harken: 8.03

Kent: 8.17

Priscilla: 8.38

Raven: 8.39

Florina: 8.41

Pent: 8.60

Ninian/Nils: 8.80

Sain: 8.83

Marcus: 9.63

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Renault's like an inferior Pent that comes later, but still has his uses. On the upside, he has double A ranks, and is pretty damn tank for a magic unit, and he comes with a free Fortify which is quite nice for VoD. On the downside, however, his mag is ass. For comparison, Pent beats his staff range by 3 at base, and heals more. Light< Anima, so his combat isn't going to be the best (though VoD does have a lot of shamans, so it mitigates his combat issues a bit). Overall, he's useful in his join chapter since I don't actually know how efficient it is to trade off Fortify in VoD to Lucius or Pent or the two healchicks so he can claim that utility, and he might see some use in Final if you just wanna bring a bajillion staffers. I mean, A staves, why not?

Wish he came earlier 3.5/10

Edited by Luminescent Blade

3.5/10

He... can heal, I guess? idk, I could really see this going any way. He's not very good at what he does, but with staves you don't really need to be.

Surprisingly durable. Also comes with that stave, however his Mag is a little on the low side. He can at least survive the chapter he joins in and help a bit in Final if needed.

Raven's rating: 30%

5/10.

Decent all-round, except for magic.

But, he can heal, doesn't loose alot of AS from tomes, and that's it.

I tried getting him to S light, it was fun watching him kill FKs and PKs, on a forest tile, after trading him a bunch of lightnings.

5/10.

Decent all-round, except for magic.

But, he can heal, doesn't loose alot of AS from tomes, and that's it.

I tried getting him to S light, it was fun watching him kill FKs and PKs, on a forest tile, after trading him a bunch of lightnings.

According to the averages, this mean you honestly believe that the character with the worst availability (Renault) is better than the character with the best availability (Dorcas). Like, is this considered "acceptable reasoning"?

To be fair, he might have given something different to Dorcas. I gave him something like a six or seven, making my 3.5 to Renault more reasonable when compared.

And people are wavering a lot over how much to credit availability.

According to the averages, this mean you honestly believe that the character with the worst availability (Renault) is better than the character with the best availability (Dorcas). Like, is this considered "acceptable reasoning"?

Dorcas is useable, and provides earlygame offense.

But, after ch17, are we going to seriously use him?

He does slow down, and has bad long-term use.

Renault can fill in for staffers, and has insta As in Light and Staves.

and please, don't argue about Pent having the same.

Pent can't do everything.

And the one easily obtainible Guiding ring, is heavily contested.

Though, his only problem is 12 magic..

He does only have 3 chapters max use, though, and 32x, if you're gonna bring a staffer at all, bring one like Lucius or Pent who actually /might/ have the staff range to warp people across the room from those rare spaces where you can use magic. I mean, if Renault came earlier, he'd be pretty good, but 2 chapters of use as a low-mag staffer, even with A staves, when you have 2-4 potential A staffers already (Pent+any 1-3 of Serra, Prissy, and Lucius, depending on who your ring went to and how many you managed to get), isn't the most useful thing ever, all of whom could probably/always have(in case of Pent) surpass his base mag at this point and thus more range and heal. If HHM was FE5 where you can get a bajillion infinite-range warps, he'd be rated way higher, but this is HHM and your warp does not have infinite range and you get only one so meh.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Renault is this mysterious mystery guy whos all nice looking and appears out of nowhere.

Pros:

Sweet sweet Fortify staff.

Looks like Fire Emblem'ed Alan Rickman. (hnngh)

Nice defense.

Higher level.

Great ranks.

Cons:

Bad magic stat (for his level especially.)

Comes too late.

Supports are cool but hard to build due to his late joining.

Bad magic stat means his range for warpies and physics are not that good. (D:)

3.5/10. Biased ranking 5/10. I loooooooove the way he looks. Hes just got that mature sexiness going on. ;):

Durable, carries Fortify, has staff utility, and eh pretty cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything. But, he doesn't have a pony, you should already have far more capable healers, and his combat totally blows.

3/10

Dorcas is useable, and provides earlygame offense.

But, after ch17, are we going to seriously use him?

He does slow down, and has bad long-term use.

Renault can fill in for staffers, and has insta As in Light and Staves.

and please, don't argue about Pent having the same.

Pent can't do everything.

And the one easily obtainible Guiding ring, is heavily contested.

Though, his only problem is 12 magic..

Guaranteed early-game use > unlikely late-game use. Plus, Dorcas is extremely useful on ranked runs (which no one else seems to care about :newyears: ).

A Staves/10

If all your other staff users are dead, not recruited, not drafted, Renault can get it done. Before my most recent run, I would not have really given him credit, but he definitely saves turns.

I suppose this is worth a two or three.

why is Renault getting good ratings

My thoughts exactly.

Fortify/10, and since fortify shouldn't be abused on S-rank, and it's not even that awesome on efficiency given that it comes so late...

1/10

There's literally no point in ever using him except for rare clutch healing in VoD, which isn't that hard.

Renault's pretty cool, but ... he's got his problems.

He shows up on the second to last chapter (counting the gaiden) before the final. He's not exactly a "game breaker" in the way Athos is, so this is bad. Plus 12 magic isn't really good. Less attack power and less staff range. The good thing about him is that he has solid defense for a magic unit and A staves. But ... considering his lack of availability and his shortcoming in magic ...

2/10

If you don't have a better staff or magic user for whatever reason, he's good filler. But I don't see why you would bother with him as a unit otherwise, unless you just like him.