Rate the Unit, Day 38: Jaffar

Thor Odinson

Rate the Unit, Day 38: Jaffar

Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on LHM and HHM. Also, they should be based on when the unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Make votes easily visible, please~! ##Vote:

- Every ranking phase ends approximately at 20:00 EST. Do the math for your timezone.

Scores (in ascending order)

Wallace: 1.12

Nino: 1.65

Wil: 1.85

Bartre: 2.78

Rebecca: 2.84

Dart: 3.86

Karel: 4.01

Dorcas: 4.19

Rath: 4.28

Canas: 5.07

Eliwood: 5.34

Louise: 5.52

Guy: 5.71

Farina: 5.95

Erk: 6.01

Lyn: 6.07

Matthew: 6.17

Serra: 6.27

Geitz: 6.50

Legault: 6.55

Lowen: 6.71

Lucius: 6.94

Oswin: 6.98

Hawkeye: 7.21

Isadora: 7.24

Hector: 7.63

Heath: 7.67

Fiora: 7.99

Harken: 8.03

Kent: 8.17

Priscilla: 8.38

Raven: 8.39

Florina: 8.41

Pent: 8.60

Ninian/Nils: 8.80

Sain: 8.83

Marcus: 9.63

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Jaffar is pretty hawt. Has a nice stomach and isn't afraid to show it. (okay to be fair I've only really seen Jaffar's stomach on Merc's halfbodies but it has a sixpack and I love sixpacks :B)

Anyway. Jaffar is pretty good. By the time he joins, there aren't a lot of chapters left for him to do things, though. 19 base strength is only one away from his cap, and he actually has high skill, which works really well in his class. At base, Jaffar has 12+30 crit with a killing edge, making it 21% chance of scoring an OHKO before factoring in enemy luck. This is nice on some of the later bosses, as Morphs do not have luck. He doubles pretty much everything that's not like Lloyd or something, and despite the mediocre HP for his level, 15 defense is actually not bad. He's by no means a tank, but certainly not made of paper either.

There's still a few chests left after his join chapter, and his survivability is most likely a lot higher than anything Matthew or Legault can reasonably say. Whether you think those chests are necessary is up to you, but at least in Denning's chapter, it's not costing you any turns since it's Defend anyway. Being able to have a chance at oneshotting Lloyd (well any other boss, but Lloyd most annoying IMO) in Final is nice too if you forgot to bring your statuses, and at the very least, he isn't doubled by that fucker.

Issues include swordlock and not having high move. Standard stuff. And joins late. And a pain in the ass to get due to RNG being a dick but I don't hold recruitment painfulness against units.

Not a hell lot of chapters left, but still can be good filler. 7/10. +.25 for being hawt.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaffar's is cool. He doesn't talk much and assassinates peeps.

He's a pain in the buttocks to get in HHM since he has the bad habit of not living thanks to his brilliant AI and enemies actually being able to hit stuff. Also you need to recruit cute little Nino first and then have her talk to him if either survived long enough. He's an alright unit. If you want a somewhat bulkier Lockpicker who can OHKO every now and then he's your man. 5/10

Jaffar used to be my favorite unit in my first playtrough. I really sucked back then and when I watched him slaughter his way trough the mooks I immiedetly thought he was the best unit in the game.

Of course now I know a lot better. Jaffar is still good or at the very least better then Karel, but thats about it. being locked to swords hurt him and while his combat is good its nothing special. He does have the nice ability to open chest.

All in all I give him a 6.5 for being a good filler unit.

He's got a nice rear. Oh, wait, this isn't the gawk-at-dudes thread.

Insta-blicking is nice (bite me Kishuna), as is being damn durable for a squishy class, and an affinity that helps his durability. Leave him on a mountain for best results. Unlike his other two buddies, he doesn't require the Contract, and his Skill is through the damn roof.

7/10 (I'd consider booting someone for him)

Boooooooooooooooooo...

Didn't I already say once before that Booooooooo is not a reason?

He's got a nice rear. Oh, wait, this isn't the gawk-at-dudes thread.

I could make it gawk-at-dude's-rear thread//shot

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Boooooooooooooooooo...

1.3/10

So your response to your LAST vote like this being rejected is to... add more letters.

Classic Peppy, folks.

Meanwhile, Jaffar's a very skilled fighter (even if he's so goddamn emo) and... can pick locks, I guess? Mostly you want him for the muscle he brings. He's alright. Better than Karel, but Harken puts him to shame. 7/10, I guess, because availability isn't being counted against him. Doesn't help that I dislike him.

Heh, Jaffar. Always pleasing me by coming and replacing whoever is sucking bigtime

He is probably the 3rd best "filler" unit in the game, with Second being Harken and first being Pent.

He is a pain in the absolute rear to recruit, mostly because of two things. The AI is brilliant at being like an idiot, and the fact that Nino is a pain to keep alive.

Skipping over that, which I will do, he has some of the beastliest bases compared to his caps. 19/20 strength is great, and his skill is through the roof. Combine his pretty good speed, and you have a doubling OHKOing machine.

But part of his issue, besides availability and recruitment, is swordlock. Swordlock in FE7 hurts. Swords are goddamn expensive, and they are weak.

But he still is usable, even with his flaws.

He gets a 7.5 for being really damn good filler. Then its boosted to 8.5 out of extreme personal bias.

8.5/10

My personal favorite Fire Emblem unit, but he's only "pretty good" objectively. Extremely solid bases, Silencer reaps a small experience increase, and lockpick access is nice, but he's largely expendable. Still, fun times are to be had here.

Edited Score: 8/10

Edited by God Brady

He is way durable than the other Contract-requiring thieves (I'm looking at you Legault and Matthew!), and lockpick utility is definitely a must especially parts approaching endgame (Chapters such 28x and 31 come to mind), and if you have any spare Killing Edges, he'll appreciate it, considering that his offenses are meh without the KE.

I have to agree with Harken > Jaffar > Karel, I mean... look at his durability paired with Ice affinity! Problem is that he won't likely have any support buddies outside of casual play since the fastest one is Nino which is not gonna see light in efficiency mode.

But heck, his STR/SKL/SPD are just through the roof compared to the other thieves so... I'll give him the verdict of...

7.5!

Edited by Icicle Spear

I'm going to give him a 7.

tbttrfly.giftbttrfly.giftbttrfly.giftbttrfly.giftbttrfly.giftbttrfly.giftbttrfly.gifImage2-3.pngImage2-3.pngImage2-3.png

I myself have never actually used him (I've used Matthew :| ), but I heard he's pretty good (he's also the only Assassin that doesn't require you to use the Fell Contract, letting you hold onto it for the funds rank).

JAFFAR.

Low movement and sword locked.

However, very good stats, in most cases better in combat compared to Matthew and Legault, however I wouldn't promote them in most cases (Except towards the end of the game), and Jaffar is a good prepromote that you don't have to waste an expensive promotion item on.

7/10

I'm actually legitimately surprised by all the Jaffar love here. Makes me feel like I should bump up the score so I don't seem like a hater!

EDIT: except frat boy, who just hates everybody

Edited by God Brady

good filler joins late lockpick utility instantkills

not taking away recruitment points because NPC AI being assholish isn't a flaw locked to him, just most prevalent

His growths are obviously not very good, but with bases like his, it doesn't matter that much. Granted, he is pretty hard to recruit no matter what way you look it, but he's generally worth it; he's very good filler, swordlocked or not, and if you have one or two extra Killing Edges it's usually worthwhile to give it to him.

7.5/10

Jaffar is that guy who is all "...." and junk. He totally kuuderes with Nino and its super cute. He doesnt afraid of much.

Pros:

Instakills.

Great bases.

High level.

Good sword rank.

lockpick use.

Cons:

Supports with meh people.

Can be tricky to recruit.

sword lock can actually hurt.

7/10. Hes got a utility use and thats kinda jive. I dont usually use Jaffar for much other than utility if my thieves are underleveled. So hes alright with me. (biased ranking: 8/10 for that super cute support with Nino when i choose to actually use her!)

I'm actually legitimately surprised by all the Jaffar love here. Makes me feel like I should bump up the score so I don't seem like a hater!

EDIT: except frat boy, who just hates everybody

If all the Louise fanboys are gonna give her a 7/10, then I figured Jaffar deserves an 8/10.

Well, Jaffar's pretty much combat filler, with the nice ability to help EXP with Silencer and general Lockpick utility. Still, he's GOOD combat filler with 19 STR and 24 SPD (I think on that speed), though he does suffer from being non-mounted.

6.5/10 seems fair for him