Rate the Unit Day 5: Moulder

13th

He's not on a horse which means no 10/10 for him.

But he's the first staffbot and one of the best.

No AS loss from Elfire is sexy.

Moustaches aren't my thing though.

But he's extremely useful.

7.5/10 because I like Natasha more.

I don't think 39% is low (which is what you'll see against axe users if you did the weapon triangle correctly). Chapter 3 also contains a bunch of guys with projectiles, and I'm positive you can't dodge them all.

I don't think 39% is low (which is what you'll see against axe users if you did the weapon triangle correctly). Chapter 3 also contains a bunch of guys with projectiles, and I'm positive you can't dodge them all.

Ch 2 has a lot of terrain you can use to lower that to a 19, plus they like 4HKO Franz anyways (or 3HKO, I don't remember). Ch 3 has like one archer, and some handaxe guys with a laughable hit rate.

Why is him being an early staffbot that good? He comes four chapters before Natasha,

Actually, Moulder comes three chapters before Natasha.

none of said chapters will you actually need them to any significant degree.

You don't need any individual unit in this game.

By the time you get Warp, you have an actually competent warper in the form of Saleh.

Saleh is definitely, definitely not going to have A Staves on Ephraim Route and may not have it even in Eirika Route.

But, you say, what if you need two warpers? Well, Natasha has higher move and more magic, so unless I'm wrong about her being able to use warp by the time you get it (I think it's possible), then she's far better than it at Moulder.

Natasha's staff rank is definitely better than Saleh's. She can beat him in staff rank just off the weight of Torch staves in Chapters 5 and 11.

In addition, to even have a magic lead of 1 point over Moulder, the two of them would need to gain 15 levels. Moulder's advantage, such as it is, is that he requires far less effort than any other warp staff user,

Moulder has awful magic. Moulder should never be used for killing things, because you'll have far better means of wrecking the enemy by the time you promote his sorry ass. His best use is as a warpbot, which is fulfilled quite nicely by other better units who also have other positives besides Warp and early chapter healing.

Actually, there are other supplementary tasks for a staff user to do such as Restore, Hammerne, Rescue, but that's more Saleh's business.

Oh, I just mean Franz should be able to take care of his own for Ch's 1-4, 1-3 because everyone is an axe user and with smart use of terrain, he should be facing low hit rates. Ch. 4 because Seth will be killing most of the dangerous crap anyways. I suppose Moulder could help out here. His biggest use is probably chapter 5, because Natasha probably won't have as much time to be healing when she has to recruit Joshua.[

The 1 player phase that Natasha needs to spend talking to Joshua isn't that much ;/

After that though, you've got Natasha, who's way better than Moulder, and you can dump his sorry ass.

Natasha is only better in Chapter 18, I think. Extra move isn't so important in the other lategame chapters if you're a warp slave.

I mean, it doesn't hurt to bring him along instead of scrubs like Neimi, but later on, I wouldn't be deploying him much at all.

I'm sure Moulder could be used to heal other units. I just don't think the minimal amount of healing he does in Ch's 1-3 and his more helpful stuff later is worth giving him an 8/10 (or even a 7/10). Yes, I suppose he's somewhat useful, but when you get Natasha, the only reason you're bringing Moulder along at that point is because there's noone better. I'd get rid of him by the time Ch. 9 starts and you get more cavalry.

So basically, your argument is because Natasha is slightly better than Moulder in a single lategame chapter, Moulder is useless after Ch. 3? That's a terrible argument.

Moulder is getting an 7/10 from me. He's a very adequate staff user and is very reliable at getting that S Rank, but for the slower player (such as in a draft) most of the other staff users will outperform him.

Edited by Anouleth

Moulder is this guy with the biggest and most awesome 'stache in all of Magvel. He is The Boulder.

Pros:

Healbot.

DAT CON!

By the time the other staff users come along, hes gonna have a level lead.

'stache.

Makes a mean sage.

Cons:

Low move.

blocks things with his face at first.

Dat luck stat... :mellow:

Supports with meh units (and the good ones arent gonna be kicking it around him much.)

Im cool with The Boulder. In fact, i really like him. I usually make him a Bishop but hes good as a Sage too. The Boulder gets a rating of 7/10.

Biased raking: 8/10 because The Boulder.

He's your first staff user, and has a 3-chapter, 2-Magic, and 1-Staff-level lead over Natasha, his primary competition. He has decent growths and okay base stats, and he comes at level 3, so that's 2 less levels he'll need than Natasha before he can promote. Combined with 3 more chapters than her, he has the advantage in that he'll be able to promote sooner. When he does promote, his 11 Con will allow him to use tomes with the least amount of Spd loss out of any of the Anima/Light users. He also has two good choices for promotion, allowing you to choose between instant C-rank Anima magic, or increased staff rank and Slayer. Additionally, and this may not be worth much, but base 20 HP/2Def with 70%/25% growths rates respectively makes him one of the tankier mage units, plus 9 base Spd with a 40% growth rate will allow him to dodge some of the more inaccurate enemies, especially with a terrain boost.

Of course, he has problems. Being a staff user means he'll need protection, and will not be able to contribute to combat until promotion. His magic growth is the worst of the 3 staff users, so after promotion, he might not be doing much damage. Also, his horrid Luck doesn't help him in the dodging department.

I give him an 7/10 because of that mustache.

Surprised nothing like this hasn't been posted. Gonna put the hurt in the dirt ~

Http://www.29.media....jf835o1_500.gif

The link isn't working for me.

By the time you get Warp, you have an actually competent warper in the form of Saleh.

It's a bit difficult for Saleh to be a competent Warper when he only starts out with a C in staves. Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit of a stretch for him to jump two ranks by the time Warp rolls around.

It's a bit difficult for Saleh to be a competent Warper when he only starts out with a C in staves. Maybe it's just me, but it seems a bit of a stretch for him to jump two ranks by the time Warp rolls around.

I had a debate a long, long time ago where - if I recall - IET showed that it's *possible* for Saleh to have A Staves by C16 going at a brisk pace, but only on Eirika route and it required essentially pure staff spam.

7/10. He's a pretty good staffbot and probably the most likely to hit A Staves.

I prefer Natasha

3/10

sorry, don't think that vote's gonna get counted ;/

You can get Saleh to warp in chapter 16 and still get him to kill almost everything in chapter 15 as well, if you know what you're doing.

Also, what are we to do about characters like Duessel and Saleh, who are waayyy better on the route they take? Like Eph Saleh is pretty mediocre, as is Eir Duessel, but their counterparts are pretty lights out.

a day to late but I didn't have time yesterday

Moulder? I guess you could use him as a decoy as soon as you get natasha ok he's good at healing but he gets killed/targeted all the time and it's not even worth training him because by the time he's lvl. 10 Lute or Arthur have already been promoted a long while ago and can use heal staffs etc. too. 4/10 because he's a bit good in early game.