Rate The Unit: Compendium

Thor Odinson

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't seem too bad overall, though Serra is kind of low (she's one of the best units in ranked, standard issue early staffbot in efficient). Then again, Matthew's a bit low too IMO, so there might be an overall bias against utility units rather than a strong "personality adjustment".

That doesn't make her good.

I don't see anyone giving Lyn points because she recruits a bunch of characters.

I don't see anyone giving Matthew points for recruiting Guy.

I don't see anyone giving Raven points for recruiting Lucius.

Not my only point.

Bartre was sandbagged considerably. Below Rebecca? In the early-game chapters he sports more MT than any character not named Oswin or Marcus (unless you bring back a 7+ Dorcas). Yeah, his speed base hurts, but seriously, below Rebecca?

Agreed that Eliwood is too low. Farina shows up late, a tad underleveled (even if it's easy to promote her on the stage she shows up in, you've got three other fliers who are pretty good), and apparently she also costs turns. Eliwood ... has a tendency to not turn out very good at times, but he has good availability at least. Plus, he's forced on key chapters, so may as well use him.

Farina is okay as a unit, but ... I don't know. Her strength and defense is superb for a pegasus knight, but I'd rather have Fiora and her stupidly high resistance to tank mages and laugh at them as they do no damage, and I'd rather have Heath and his high strength and good defenses to laugh at physical units. Farina's strength base and growth are good, but that low cap will hurt.

If we're getting on Farina's ass for costing turns, she shouldn't be the only one.

Harken also costs turns. In strict LTC play this means neither will be likely to be recruited, and Farina at least has XP rank on her side for ranked, whereas Harken comes stupidly overleveled and doesn't even have that to fall back on. Harken shines in casual, but is massively overrated elsewhere. Barring 0% growths, most of his tasks can be filled by anyone else.

True, true. Farina was just the only one I could think of at the moment. (I never finish PFoD fast enough to miss Karel or Harken, but I've certainly cleared out all three fortresses before Farina shows up.) Also ... about Bartre and Rebecca ... Rebecca provides chip, although most of the time it's pretty useless. Or someone else can provide stronger, better chip. Bartre can provide big chip ... if he hits. Plus, he will have to eat a counter if he's not killing whatever he's attacking. Rebecca at least has the option of not getting attacked back. Although Bartre has the option of making himself useful ... what to say ...?

I agree with Boron that Karel's ranking is unfortunate, but things like this happen sometimes when there's no clear standard. Now I just wonder what will keep this board active?

I'm still not convinced that Nino is better than Wallace. Yes, Wallace sucks, but if you're desperate or something, at least he can wall for you. He can absorb a few hits and survive a few rounds without healing. Nino dies in one hit. Yes, she's good for experience if you're playing ranked, and she can turn out to be very good. But ... most people won't bother with her as a serious combatant.

Maybe I'm alone in this?

I'm not arguing against that. XP He's really annoying to recruit. Once time, I debated just ignoring him and letting him die, before I decided that I wanted his elixir at least. But I thought that recruitment didn't count against characters?

Well ... that is true. Maybe people figured that because Karla makes you waste a Hero's Crest on a unit you may not have decided to use (and one who's not THAT good due to his terrible speed), that it was worth docking because it could hit your funds rank? People docked Farina for costing 20,000 gold. But in Karla's case, even without her recruitment, she probably would've got terrible scores anyway.

I'm not arguing against that. XP He's really annoying to recruit. Once time, I debated just ignoring him and letting him die, before I decided that I wanted his elixir at least. But I thought that recruitment didn't count against characters?

If he's never gonna be on my team because he dies before I can get to him, then I don't see the point in NOT holding that against him. Nino, at least, can be told not to run into enemies when she's forced.

Nino doesn't run into enemies suicidally, but she's forced in Night of Farewells (is that what it's called?), which could be a bad thing if you don't want to use her. Sure, she's not taking up a unit slot, but unless you grinded her a lot in the previous chapter, she can die to everything if she's left unguarded, and loses AS from everything. Then again, I admittedly dislike Wallace as a unit less than Nino, because he helped me out in EHM CoD by being a wall.

For Nino, I shove her off to the side somewhere. If you don't like her, you can always kill her off.

Since I have amazing RNG luck, she can usually sneak in kills because my troops believe in giving the enemy one more phase before death.

Nah, I have a strict "no killing" policy for units, even if I'll never use them. The only time I ever left anyone dead was NPC Jaffar in my latest EHM run, and that was because I had already restarted that level so many times due to people dying. I decided that if Jaffar wanted to run suicidally into the enemy army with slightly above half HP, then that's his problem. But I felt bad about it. Anyway ... I usually wall Nino in and keep her away from enemies, but it's kind of annoying still ...

yeh i don't get any unit killed at all. though there are times where i wanted to let wallace die. i mean on EHM you know how hard it is to try and rescue wallace. i had to distract lloyd for 4 turns (thank god for darts awesome speed). but anyway i think karla should have beat wallace. i hate the requirments to get her but at least she easier to get than that fatty wallace.

i think karla should have beat wallace. i hate the requirments to get her but at least she easier to get than that fatty wallace.

Having to blow resources on Bartre just to get someone who isn't even worth it... Yeah, Wallace deserves to be above her.

My only main gripe is that I can handle Pent > Raven, that is debatable. However, Pent > Florina?

This place is nuts.

Best not to take these rankings too seriously. As an unusual hybrid of incompatible standards, it's just a fun list.

*Wonders why Merlinus wasn't ranked, despite the fact that you can choose to field him on a map (if you so desire)*

That much is true, however he does not take up a slot from any other units.