Rate The Unit: Compendium

Thor Odinson

Rate The Unit: Compendium

So, Elieson asked me to do this, so here I am.

To bring the Rate the Unit: FE7 edition to a fitting end, here's all scores, open for discussion.

GOGOGO

Scores (in ascending order)

Karla: 0.39

Wallace: 1.12

Nino: 1.65

Wil: 1.85

Renault: 2.47

Bartre: 2.78

Rebecca: 2.84

Dart: 3.86

Karel: 4.01

Dorcas: 4.19

Rath: 4.28

Canas: 5.07

Eliwood: 5.34

Louise: 5.52

Vaida: 5.53

Guy: 5.71

Farina: 5.95

Erk: 6.01

Jaffar: 6.03

Lyn: 6.07

Matthew: 6.17

Serra: 6.27

Athos: 6.42

Geitz: 6.50

Legault: 6.55

Lowen: 6.71

Lucius: 6.94

Oswin: 6.98

Hawkeye: 7.21

Isadora: 7.24

Hector: 7.63

Heath: 7.67

Fiora: 7.99

Harken: 8.03

Kent: 8.17

Priscilla: 8.38

Raven: 8.39

Florina: 8.41

Pent: 8.60

Ninian/Nils: 8.80

Sain: 8.83

Marcus: 9.63

Edited by Luminescent Blade

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Karla had the lowest score? That's... actually somewhat of a surprise. I thought for sure Wallace would have that dubious honor.

Well, if you really think about what you have to do to get her, and her stats at that point...

Well I gave Wallace more since he brings Sain/Kentadin to the table, and Karla less than him since she requires a crest on a shitty unit.

And there's the fact that Karla's rather crappy herself. Also, I'd call Sainadin "Saladin". /Winx Club reference heheheheh

Edited by Metal King Slime

I only voted in the last two, because I wasn't a member until then, but I have to question Harken over Heath and Fiora. Yes, he's a VERY good unit with solid bases and stuff, but ... with the way everyone seems to be putting so much emphasis on flying and mounts, I wonder why Harken is above them. He also comes in later than both Heath and Fiora. He's definitely usable from the get-go, but isn't he mostly a filler unit for either a screwed unit for an extra space?

Also, I remember reading the Karel voting topic, and I think that a lot of people were taking points off him because he prevents you from getting Harken. I really don't think Karel should be penalized for the player not being able to get Harken. The point of this voting thread is to see how beneficial Karel is to the team and to a playthrough, right? What does his being worse than Harken have to do with that? If the player gets Karel, they either chose to, or they weren't putting in enough effort to get Harken. The scores should reflect the character's performance alone, without taking into "who does this person prevent me from recruiting".

I only voted in the last two, because I wasn't a member until then, but I have to question Harken over Heath and Fiora. Yes, he's a VERY good unit with solid bases and stuff, but ... with the way everyone seems to be putting so much emphasis on flying and mounts, I wonder why Harken is above them. He also comes in later than both Heath and Fiora. He's definitely usable from the get-go, but isn't he mostly a filler unit for either a screwed unit for an extra space?

Also, I remember reading the Karel voting topic, and I think that a lot of people were taking points off him because he prevents you from getting Harken. I really don't think Karel should be penalized for the player not being able to get Harken. The point of this voting thread is to see how beneficial Karel is to the team and to a playthrough, right? What does his being worse than Harken have to do with that? If the player gets Karel, they either chose to, or they weren't putting in enough effort to get Harken. The scores should reflect the character's performance alone, without taking into "who does this person prevent me from recruiting".

I'd assume it also has to do with the fact that FE7 is lance-heavy, which sucks for swordmasters, as well as the fact that Karel's inferior statistically to Harken pretty much everywhere but Speed.

Well, I'm not questioning why Karel got a lower score than Harken. I can see why. Karel has more problems compared to Harken. I just don't think people should/should have taken points off Karel for preventing Harken's recruitment. Weren't recruitment costs not supposed to be taken into consideration? If Karel is "bad" because his stats aren't particularly stellar and FE7 is lance heavy, dock him for that. Don't dock him for us not getting Harken ...

Agreed that Eliwood is too low. Farina shows up late, a tad underleveled (even if it's easy to promote her on the stage she shows up in, you've got three other fliers who are pretty good), and apparently she also costs turns. Eliwood ... has a tendency to not turn out very good at times, but he has good availability at least. Plus, he's forced on key chapters, so may as well use him.

Farina is okay as a unit, but ... I don't know. Her strength and defense is superb for a pegasus knight, but I'd rather have Fiora and her stupidly high resistance to tank mages and laugh at them as they do no damage, and I'd rather have Heath and his high strength and good defenses to laugh at physical units. Farina's strength base and growth are good, but that low cap will hurt.

I'm stay neutral on this Farina v Eliwood debate due to my well-known personal biases towards Farina and against Eliwood, but I will say this much: Caps mean nothing until very late, if at all. Might as well use that 23 for as long as we can. Plus if she's promoted at base which is most likely if she is used in efficiency, you don't really need to worry about caps period.

Caps really don't matter until very very late anyway, if at all, for most units in general.

I see Athos's position kind of bizarre. He's placed below Isadora and Geitz, the latter almost never existing. I'd think Athos's 1 chapter of winning is worth more than the combined existence of the other two.

I see Athos's position kind of bizarre. He's placed below Isadora and Geitz, the latter almost never existing. I'd think Athos's 1 chapter of winning is worth more than the combined existence of the other two.

Isadora has no real problems winning most of her existance either, and when Geitz is there he's not horrible. Contributes more than Athos's one chapter of contributions.

Wil chips or something, Nino sucks forever unless you put a stupid amount of effort/resources into her.

Nino also chips, is required for 28x where she can steal a few kills to help move people around faster, and recruits Jaffar.

Isa has a horse and can contribute positively over her existence, which is by no means late for a prepromote like her. Paladins are always nice to have in FE7, and she can still be useful even if Marcus and Sain/Kentadin and even another promoted cav (since there's another Crest by that point IIRC) are in play. And if you for some reasons don't have Sain/Kentadin and/or didn't want Marcus to roflstomp the game, Isa is very good for a replacement without using up another Crest.

Geitz over Athos is kinda bizarre if you count his recruitment pains, yeah, but I'm personally am not gonna hold his terrible chapter requirements against him, since he's a good combatant.

recruits Jaffar.
That doesn't make her good.

I don't see anyone giving Lyn points because she recruits a bunch of characters.

I don't see anyone giving Matthew points for recruiting Guy.

I don't see anyone giving Raven points for recruiting Lucius.

Wil's required for the chapter he joins in too, and has a bunch of Lyn mode. Lyn mode is easy without actually using Wil, but so is Night of Farewells without actually using Nino.

Wil also doesn't show up for the end of the game only, as well.

Overall they're about equally useless anyway- who really cares?

Edited by Dave Strider

I have no problem with Wil being over Nino. While it's true that they're both kind of useless, at least Wil doesn't show up about five chapters before the game and stupidly underleveled. Nino is annoying enough on Eliwood's NORMAL mode, much less Hector's hard mode. I've trained Nino before, and I'm pretty good at babying characters. But training Nino tries even my patience ...