Pokemon Emerald Low Level Draft

Racer

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So? Picking Mudkip gets you a lot of advantages of over everyone else. Taillow also isn't going to be very good against Brawly since this is a low level challenge. Either ban him or allow him for everyone, don't make him draftable.

So? Picking Mudkip gets you a lot of advantages of over everyone else. Taillow also isn't going to be very good against Brawly since this is a low level challenge. Either ban him or allow him for everyone, don't make him draftable.

I'm already doing a playlog, but I'm not really in by any means. However, I figured I'd read through this to see what comes of discussion and I find this bitching about Mudkip. If I may shed some light...

Each of the starters in some form can make other pokemon completely pointless, such as Combusken not only being an actually awesome fire type, but an awesome fighting type as well, something this game has neither of. This makes the already crappy Makuhita look like the bag of crap it is, and makes things like Numel and Slugma dumber than they look. Crap earlygame is like it's only problem.

I'd argue Treecko has a better earlygame, FAR better on the basis that it can sustain itself without need of resources (my latest run I learned that I could possibly get to Mauville or even Verdanturf without need of a pokecenter, much less potions or berries aside from status clearers due to the occasional Shroomish), and speed. It also makes mons like Shroomish and Seedot look like a waste.

Only reason everyone has a hardon for Mudkip is because he beats Wattson for free, as he's arguably the hardest portion of the game, even though you could get a Geodude and do the same thing and Combusken can arguably do well against most of his team since Magnemite and Ton are Steel (and as for Manectric, if you have Stun Spore or a way to paralyze...). Good water types are also a dime a dozen in this game. Hard to come across a good fire or fighting type, or a grass type with speed that can do things other than Absorb.

tl;dr, Mudkip is overrated. Still awesome, but overrated.

Edited by grandjackal

I'd argue Treecko has a better earlygame, FAR better on the basis that it can sustain itself without need of resources (my latest run I learned that I could possibly get to Mauville or even Verdanturf without need of a pokecenter, much less potions or berries aside from status clearers due to the occasional Shroomish), and speed. It also makes mons like Shroomish and Seedot look like a waste.

I don't know... Sure, you've got Absorb with which you can restore your health to full every time you face a Geodude, but Absorb is all you get (Bullet Seed is better offensively but is unreliable since it usually hits 2-3 times) until Leaf Blade is learnt at lv. 29. Combusken gets Double Kick at lv. 16 and Marshtomp gets Mud Shot as soon as it evolves at the same level, which are all better. I'd argue that having a powerful attack is better than not having one, even if it means having to use a Potion here and there. If you don't raise a team of six or something, you can easily train Marshtomp/Combusken to the point where they easily OHKO without requiring much healing.

Lol people arguing about early game. With the current ruleset its around Norman we even have to start caring about low levels.

Now if we check the team's lv average after every gym, then it would be more interesting (and serve likes of sableye well)

And then it would also be either pick mudkip or ban mudkip show

Lol people arguing about early game. With the current ruleset its around Norman we even have to start caring about low levels.

Now if we check the team's lv average after every gym, then it would be more interesting (and serve likes of sableye well)

And then it would also be either pick mudkip or ban mudkip show

How about this.

put one restriction on Mudkips.

Make it s we have to have Marshtomp hold the everstone until Mossdeep

Creeper you can possibly be that dull.

The issue with mudkip is that it alone shaves 3-5 levels from roxanne battle when compared to Treeko and lol torchick. And then that "&/#%(/%"(/" Wattson where you win some serious lvs just by having ground type.

Its either no Mudkip at all or everyone uses mudkip.

This is of course assuming we have check point after each gym.

If its after league lvs only, then we can go and Allow normal mudkip usage because Blaziken is just as good in the late late game and Sceptile Owns both in Wallace raping

I like the after every Gym with the no Mudkip for anyone proposition. Makes earlygame matter more, especially the second Gym, which I was planning on skipping until after Flannery. Plus it makes Pokemon that start good but then not so much later on (like Silcoon or Wingull) more valuable.

Sorry man.

Haven't been thing straight with this head cold.

Sinuses are clogged hard ad headache.

Yeah Mudkip does save exp, due to type coverage, but for Brawly, whoever ges Sableye wins Brawly

Sabley has its point for brawly but there is gazillion pkmn who can shave gazillion lvs in one plase.

For example (be glad I tell this) lv 18 dustox can beat norman's slaking for 100% certainity. Then again same holds true for lv 10 sableye...

Also for the sake of reasonable gameplay I would suggest this assuming we have chekpoints after gyms.

After 1st. gym, if pkmn's lv is lower than the highest leveled ones by more than 2, its omnitted from counting average.

After 2nd. gym, more than 3

After 3rd, more than 4

After 4th, more than 5

After 5th, more than 6

After 6th, more than 7

After 7th, more than 8

After 8th, more than 9

After any member of elite 4 there is no checkpoint.

9th and last is after Champion and pkmn whose lv is lower than the lv of highest by more than 11 is omnitted.

this is to keep away fucktigers like Beating Brawly with team of lv 14is treecko, lv 12 Sableye and like lv 4 taillow, wurple zigzagoon, lotad seedot and shit like that. not that anyone would actually get them all but still it encourages not to starter solo tooheavily in the start while keeping some lv 2 scrub to keep lv average low.

Also for the sake of novelty, you may catch only one of each drafted pkmn you have so no fucktigers like catching early poochyena to keep lower lv average on brawly and roxanne just to ditch it around wattson and catch lv 27 mighthyena later on...

Edited by Sho.M.the.Pinkie.Pie

Sabley has its point for brawly but there is gazillion pkmn who can shave gazillion lvs in one plase.

For example (be glad I tell this) lv 18 dustox can beat norman's slaking for 100% certainity. Then again same holds true for lv 10 sableye...

IDK if this counts.

ut in R/S, a team of lvl 36 pkmn ca beat the e4

with a shitton of hyper potions.

Right... whoever gets Sableye owns Brawly, whoever gets Dustox owns Norman, whoever gets Shedinja owns Juan, whoever gets Geodude owns Wattson.

something along those lines.

btw my last post had major edit...

(and whoever gets taillow owns wallace with endeavour)

Endeavor+QA

Cheap, but effective

Or you wind up flubbing it because they use a Full Restore or something. Also, considering Swellow's blisteringly fast, this could go the way of you use Endeavor, then your opponent finishes you off.

\Also for the sake of novelty, you may catch only one of each drafted pkmn

I see nothing wrong with recatching a few times to get the right ability or gender, as long as they aren't both used in the party.