Rate the Unit, Day 25: Wendell

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Matthis: 0.86

Vyland: 1.67

Darros: 2.45

Roshea: 2.88

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Navarre: 4.66

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Merric: 5.58

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Sedgar: 6.57

Wolf: 6.67

Julian: 6.60

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Hardin: 8.70

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Lena: 9.26

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

Damn! Why is this old man so fast!? He has an amazing personal base speed of 8 - a greater base speed than every other character in the game except Nagi/Gotoh. You can instantly switch him to Swordmaster and he has 21 speed! That's even more than FE7 Karel for goodness's sake!

So yeah, 12 speed as a Sage. While in H5 that only lets him double Armors and the slower Archers, I would imagine it would net a lot more in H2 - like all Archers, Cavaliers, and Ch 9 Pirates. And getting doubled with magic hurts quite a bit yo!

This old geezer packs some serious heat in the form of Excalibur. Get the fuck out Merric! While I am not quite sure what the stats are of lategame H2 Pegasus/Dracos... I think it may be reasonable for him to be OHKOing despite his "inferior" magic stat compared to Merric. Like 6 magic + 2 A-rank + 39 effective might = 47 attack. H5 Chapter 22 Dracos apparently have 50 HP and 3 Res and Pegasus have 45 HP and 9 Res. But considering enemy Pegasus/Dracos have 90 HP growth and I believe H2 enemies have 9 less autolevels than H5 versions (since the autolevel trend for the hard difficulties seems to be 3-6-9-12-15) this roughly means 8 less HP for the enemies. So if these calcs are correct, he should OHKO. And if not, he's damn close and Spirit Dust competition ain't high!

Oh, and he heals too! WITH 6 MOVE NO LESS! Ha ha! All those stinkin' Curate Matthis/Roshea/Vyland losers can only move 5 spaces. And Wendell joins early enough that he'll have no trouble building up that D-rank into Awesome-rank.

And what's this? It's the Dracoknight class, baby! 15 AS with an Iron Lance/Javelin and 14 AS with a Steel Lance. All with 10 move and flight. Good gravy! Give me some of that good stuff!

Just an incredible early-joining prepromote that can remain useful for the entire game and CAN see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch! I don't even care that he tries to kill my units in chapter 5!

10/10 (9.0 with +1 bias)

If he stays magical, he'll be useful for, like, forever. While he's fast, his lack of Strength kinda hurts him in physical classes, and I'd rather spend my resources on forging Wing Spears than stuff for him. He amuses me to no end.

7.75/10

If he stays magical, he'll be useful for, like, forever. While he's fast, his lack of Strength kinda hurts him in physical classes, and I'd rather spend my resources on forging Wing Spears than stuff for him. He amuses me to no end.

You'll need to forge Ridersbanes eventually, and Javelin forges at some point or the other.

and I'd rather spend my resources on forging Wing Spears than stuff for him.

strong iron lance forges are super cheap

especially since you don't need +4 MT on ridersbanes, wing spears, and arrowspates

I guess? I'd rather keep him around as a magebot; less stuff to forge, and not too many things survive two Excaliburs to the face.

Wendell is a Dracoknight blender. He loves to make smoothies out of them. Even if I don't want to waste my Excalibur he can still get some nice thunder/Blizzard hits off for some hard chip damage.

He can heal too btw or use that barrier staff for when Hardin doesn't feel like taking any damage while he wipes the floor with 5-6 mages in a single turn.

I don't know how hard he falls off later on (that's why I'm trying to train Linda) ut it seems he'll stay pretty solid all game long.

Not enough votes here, gee.

Anyway, look at this guy. I'm sure I don't have 12 speed when I am his age. And they actually nerfed his speed from the first game where he had 14.

How often do you see it that an early game mage can double right of the bat? With an high weapon rank too both that also allows him to use Excalibur right of the bat?

And even if he was just a staff-bot he would already be amazing, joining with all the benefits of a promoted class and all. Change classes to Bishop and he can use warp and Physic [edit]almost[/edit] right of the bat.

I say right of the bat a lot with this one but it's simply accurate because he does lots of amazing things when you wouldn't expect anyone to be able to pull them of. And you were just recruiting a puny level 1 mage the previous chapter and then this guy comes along.

9.0/10 - What a badass!

Edited by BrightBow

8 personal speed base and can use Excalibur right off the bat. He's only 8 staff uses away from being able to use warp, so he will definitely be your second warp user.

9/10

Fun doubling the heck out of people early on, until other units surpass him, and Merric/Linde pass him in magic. Either way, a good unit to have.

8/10 with -1 bias for 7/10

I wish I could sing my praises for Wendell in an entire book but:

Has a pope hat, Excalibur, high speed base, and lots of fun options that he can make work.

Pope WINdell? More like PIMP WINdell

tw9wE.png

10/10

This shall suffice.