Growths or Bases?

MacLovin

What is your preferred one  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Higher Growths or Higher BAses?

• Growths
    • Bases

WOndering what some people think about this.

If a unit has EPic Growths, they are most certainly gonna have mediocre Bases.

But if a unit has epic Bases, then they can keep rolling along with the use of stat boosters. But will have mediocre growths.

This is what appears to happen to many units

Just wondering what your preferences are folks, Better bases and mediocre growths or better growths and mediocre bases?

Edited by Folgore Green

If a unit has EPic Growths, they are most certainly gonna have mediocre Bases.

But if a unit has epic Bases, then they can keep rolling along with the use of stat boosters. But will have mediocre growths.

Your premise for this consideration is completely false.

http://serenesforest.net/fe8/growth.htm

It is worth noting that in a vacuum, bases alone are meaningful for determining a character's stats for some period of time, while growths alone are absolutely worthless for determining a character's stats for any period of time.

Edited by Othin

One thing I like the most about Fire Emblem is watching my weak little fighters growing into strong units. Therefore I prefer units with low bases and high growths. That's why I like to use units like Dew for example.

But of course it's a better thing to have a good mix of both, gameplaywise.

I like high bases and mediocre growths, but mediocre bases and high growths are fine by me as well. Just when you don't even have that, like say Rebecca, or you have terrible bases, ... also like Rebecca, or when the timing is just awful, like any Est that isn't, like, Zeiss.

I like high bases and mediocre growths, but mediocre bases and high growths are fine by me as well. Just when you don't even have that, like say Rebecca, or you have terrible bases, ... also like Rebecca, or when the timing is just awful, like any Est that isn't, like, Zeiss.

Zeiss had epic HM bases and decent growths.

Fuck, 19 str at lvl 7 1st tier was kinda wtf.

I thought Sophia was fe6s Est?

Where's my both option? Anyway, I prefer bases since they make a unit useful right away. But, if a unit has good growths and joins early enough, Im willing to use them.

Depends when in the game you get them, right?

Yes.

fe5 Fin had passable growths but epic Bases, along with Halvan and Othin.

And came early.

Errr

Fe7 Dorcas has nice bases, and comes early, and helps out when the game is at its hardest.

Despite his :facepalm: spd growth.

Zeiss had epic HM bases and decent growths.

Fuck, 19 str at lvl 7 1st tier was kinda wtf.

I thought Sophia was fe6s Est?

Sophiya doesn't even END well :p

I like to illustrate this split by Garcia vs. Ross. Ross needs a fair bit of favouritism, but after ten quick and slightly painful levels he's suddenly a god at level one fighter. Garcia just stomps shit and never really stops, although his speed does flag off after a while without a wing and a hero promotion.

Sophiya doesn't even END well :p

I like to illustrate this split by Garcia vs. Ross. Ross needs a fair bit of favouritism, but after ten quick and slightly painful levels he's suddenly a god at level one Pirate. Garcia just stomps shit and never really stops, although his speed does flag off after a while without a wing and a hero promotion.

Fixed.

Well, Ross's growths aren't even that high.

And he comes at the same time Garcia does

Ross's growths are that high, but he grows quickly and will have better stats at an equivalent level, so he's pretty much a growth unit. In that scenario, I prefer Garcia (always use both, though). It serves as an illustration.

Bases.

Replace units with better ones as you go along and you'll always have a good and RNG proofed team.

Also Ross sucks is very mediocre at lvl1 pirate because his spd is still ass.

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

It depends on timing for me. In earlier chapters I'll always favour growth units since they often don't take up deployment spots but towards the end if they haven't paid off or I have to make a choice between growths and bases, then I go for bases. That being said, if I absolutely had to choose, I'd for for growth units because I like a challenge and the payoff is more satisfying.

I'm definitely a fan of babying units on any given playthrough, so I like growth units a lot. However, there are of course exceptions:

-I'll use anyone in Sacred Stones because I can use CC Valni to compare everyone. My team for the story ultimately boils down to Ephraim Beats The Game. Before that point, I'll just use whoever, since it's easy enough.

-Ests. Not worth it. I like growth units, but not ones who show up in the lategame. I've trained some of them, but then I realize all that effort is really useless, since the results are only marginally better than an early game grower.

-Rebecca. I've babied her a few times. Whoever says she's good (Gamefaqs, Nintendo Power) is a liar. There should be a huge note next to her name: If you want bows, use Rath.

-If a character has really good bases relative to my team, they'll probably replace someone struggling. FE7 is a good example of a game where growth units are less reliable. Erk could easily be replaced by Pent. In Path of Radiance, a particularly bad Mia/Zihark will never catch up to Stefan. Characters like Myrrh and Athos destroy their respective endgames.

In the end, I like to see where growth units go, but realistically you can only take so many. I'd say on an average of 12 deployments, I'll have a healer and dancer, 7-8 growth units, and then 2-3 high base joinees. In a game like Sacred Stones, I like to use all growth units but recognise that Seth is so manly he could solo the game because he has the bases AND the growths.

-Rebecca. I've babied her a few times. Whoever says she's good (Gamefaqs, Nintendo Power) is a liar. There should be a huge note next to her name: If you want bows, use Rath.

lol when I played through the game for the first time (my first playthrough in any FE ever), I used Rebecca thinking "cool an archer, she won't get countered" and she actually ended up with the highest Strength stat out of all physical units by Endgame, even though I also trained Raven (except he was almost just freshly promoted for the final chapter or so). In general, I just couldn't focus on whom I wanted to train during that run. Had to rely on Athos to do all the work for me in the final chapter.

lol when I played through the game for the first time (my first playthrough in any FE ever), I used Rebecca thinking "cool an archer, she won't get countered" and she actually ended up with the highest Strength stat out of all physical units by Endgame, even though I also trained Raven (except he was almost just freshly promoted for the final chapter or so). In general, I just couldn't focus on whom I wanted to train during that run. Had to rely on Athos to do all the work for me in the final chapter.

I admit Rebecca gets some pretty overall high stats... after 30+ levels. Her 20/20 stats + fire support with Dart is actually pretty cool, but then I realize I could have trained Kent or Florina, or could have made Sain even more ridiculously beefed up, or watch Hector maul more things, and then I realize that was way too much effort for far too little.

I admit Rebecca gets some pretty overall high stats... after 30+ levels. Her 20/20 stats + fire support with Dart is actually pretty cool, but then I realize I could have trained Kent or Florina, or could have made Sain even more ridiculously beefed up, or watch Hector maul more things, and then I realize that was way too much effort for far too little.

Yeah, if there was one thing you couldn't fault Rebecca on, it'd probably her support list. Fire affinity is really really nice.

Growths.

I've never had much difficulty babying the Est characters, and I don't do LTC runs, so I can get them caught up level wise before too many chapters go past.

I like growth more in the first two playthroughs or so of any given game, just for that enjoyment of raising units. Once I'm familiar with the chapters I like bases since LTCs offer more challenge and replayability, and it's all about the bases.

growth units like sigurd are the best

especially when they have really good bases

Edited by Refa

0 growths run, doable.

0 bases run, eeehhhhhh.

I prefer bases over growths but not by much.

Someone wanna make a 0 bases fe hack? Lol

Edited by Elieson

How can you go zero bases when HP can't be zero? Or do you mean class bases?

Any 4 AS enemy would pose huge trouble to your characters because it's most likely that everyone will be ORKO'd at good hit rates, and you need many chips to take him out.