Rate the Unit: Day 64 - Bastian

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac). And only hard mode!

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends when the next RTU thread is posted (at this point, it's hard to tell).

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" or "Gives you Bronze Sword" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise. I will not throw your vote out if I do not support your opinion. Possible reasons for a tossed vote include: your vote is higher/lower than the vast majority to "balance the score" and failure to justify a radically different score.

Averages:

LYRE!: 0.32

Fiona: 1.20

Meg: 1.34

Kyza: 1.53

Pelleas: 1.85

Astrid: 2.10

Lethe: 2.21

Vika: 2.40

Leonardo: 2.53

Sanaki: 3.03

Lucia: 3.06

Danved: 3.11

Mist: 3.11

Stefan: 3.14

Rhys: 3.21

Tormod: 3.28

Rolf: 3.36

Brom: 3.56

Ilyana: 3.75

Makalov: 4.00

Nealuchi: 4.41

Tauroneo: 4.50

Geoffery: 4.50

Black Knight: 4.60

Sigrun: 4.71

Maurim: 4.72

Kieran: 4.82

Aran: 4.92

Laura: 5.13

Ranulf: 5.14

Heather: 5.29

Skrimir: 5.45

Soren: 5.45

Edward: 6.31

Tanith: 6.36

Micaiah: 6.50

Tibarn: 6.59

Calill: 6.59

Boyd: 6.85

Mordecai: 7.17

Gatrie: 7.22

Marcia: 7.31

Naesala: 7.34

Zihark: 7.44

Nephenee: 7.74

Shinon: 7.90

Oscar: 8.11

Elincia: 8.21

Janaff: 8.28

Ulki: 8.32

Leanne: 8.38

Rafiel: 8.45

Mia: 8.45

Jill: 8.46

Volug: 8.87

Sothe: 8.93

Nailah: 9.00

Nolan: 9.06

Reyson: 9.07

Ike: 9.28

Titania: 9.76

Haar: 9.91

Oliver: 384618.6

Oliver did pretty well, if I do say so myself. =D

Edited by Lucina

What from yonder chapter 4-5 breaks, but Bastian or something. his starting 24 speed is his only bad point(though in the case of magic users, since they're all pretty much underhwleming), otherwise excluding availability he's pretty much competitive with the rest of your possible Arch Sages without any investment and comes with a B-rank Staves to start with(which is mostly for Physic).

3/10

Oliver, but better. He can at least use elemental magic to make himself useful on offense. Thunder helps if you decide to take him to endgame. B staves means he can do pretty well in that area, and if you really want him to use better staves, it only takes 2 arms scrolls, which you probably won't need otherwise, to get to S. Plus 35 magic is great, no matter how you look at it. All in all, probably the best endgame filler you get prior to endgame itself. 3.5 +bias 4.5/10

Edited by bottlegnomes

He can do some pretty great chip in his joining chapter thanks do 35 magic, which is higher than most sages can get in a reasonable amount of time (Ilyana gets it at Lv. 15, Tormod never does, Calill @ Lv.18, and Soren @ Lv.9. Bastian is a bases unit (70% Skill, 50% Res and 40% Luck are his highest growths), but he does pretty well with those bases. B Staves hits everything important except Fortify, which can go to Micaiah or Elincia for endgame. 24 speed and low availability are really his only problems. If he joined in like 2-E, then he'd be pretty sweet.

3.5 + 1 = 4.5/10

Didn't like him in PoR when he used lolknives, didn't like him now. He's functionally irrelevant in his joining chapter since Tibarn + Elincia are soloing it anyway. I guess he's cool if you loaded the Hawk army with shitty units... Him and volke can solo some dragons but for the most part he's pointless in his joining chapter. As a unit he's ok; good bases (except his speed augh). His availability is one of the worst of the game and you're tossing his ass in part IV's endgame because you don't need any mages.

2 - 1 because he irks me. (If he didn't exist my life would be totally different!)

1/10

Edited by Starwave

To be honest all I can see him do is staffbot and occasionally chip or siege. Not that much better than Oliver really. Maybe he can one round enemies with resolve?

2.5/10

and if you really want him to use better staves, it only takes 2 arms scrolls, which you probably won't need otherwise, to get to S.

Except he can only get A staves, just like every other Anima Archsage...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Bastian, the ever so loquacious Count of Fayre.

Pros:

Third Tier.

Staff utility.

Comes with a fire tome in a level where its much needed.

Can recruit Volke

Cons:

Ass for bases.

Joins too late.

This guy....I do like his character but he is always ass as a unit. ALWAYS. At least now, he had the good sense to ditch the knives. Hes most likely not doubling any cats but he can put a nice dent into them due to fire tome. A Flaring will do well to roast a kitty. He can use staves but Oliver can actually use them better., but so can Elincia. Corrosion is always lol anyway especially in a Laguz chapter. He can get Volke on your team though for cheap. If Bastian had come earlier, he might have proven a bit more useful, but alas. Earwax.

1/10. 2/10 bias because Bastian is awesome as a character.

Late-game pre-promote filler. Does a good enough job to replace anyone who has been hit with the suck stick. Better than Oliver since neither of them will be getting the one Fortify. Too bad he didn't show up in 2-E or any other CR chapters.

2/10

Doesn't Volke cost the same regardless of who you use? I always thought that was the case and used Elincia multiple times.

Except he can only get A staves, just like every other Anima Archsage...

You're right. Never have actually gotten any of sages to max staff rank. In that case, he takes literally no investment to be the best he's probably going to be.

Doesn't Volke cost the same regardless of who you use? I always thought that was the case and used Elincia multiple times.

Probably. I dont recall recruiting him with Elincia though...

Oliver, but better. He can at least use elemental magic to make himself useful on offense. Thunder helps if you decide to take him to endgame. B staves means he can do pretty well in that area, and if you really want him to use better staves, it only takes 2 arms scrolls, which you probably won't need otherwise, to get to S. Plus 35 magic is great, no matter how you look at it. All in all, probably the best endgame filler you get prior to endgame itself. 3.5 +bias 4.5/10

I never thought I would post what someone else said.... but I'm going with this.

Oh, and iambic has a B in it to Lucina.

Edited by I don't play for turns

Oliver, but better. He can at least use elemental magic to make himself useful on offense. Thunder helps if you decide to take him to endgame. B staves means he can do pretty well in that area, and if you really want him to use better staves, it only takes 2 arms scrolls, which you probably won't need otherwise, to get to S. Plus 35 magic is great, no matter how you look at it. All in all, probably the best endgame filler you get prior to endgame itself.

This, but 3.5, because no bias.

At the above dude: I'm not too sure what you're talking about with your justification. Can you expand on it please.

Edit: Figures that this shows up on a new page. >.<

Edited by Lucina