Fire Emblem AI

PKL

30 members have voted

1. 1. Best AI?

• FE4 (very dumb)
    • GBA FE
    • Tellius (enemies care about their own life when attacking)
    • FE11 (very random)
    • FE12 (goes for the highest damage without caring for their own life and prioritizes kills)
    • Pacifists, we all love them specially when they mess up your LTC strat in a rout chapter :)

What in your opinion is the best AI in Fire Emblem to date?

I personally like the Tellius game AI the most. It seems to be the smartest to me. Enemies prioritize damage to them often while selecting a target. If they can kill a target, they will go for that one instead. They will sometimes go heal or do some other neat stuff too.

I would say the Fire Emblem 4 AI is underrated.

-Enemies will always conquer the players castle when given the opportunity. They will also always charge the castle.

-Enemies move in squads around their leader. This makes it a bit risky to attack head-on since they can dish out a strong counter with all their units. Particular when the enemy has mounts and they all charge your squishiest unit.

-Enemies will not attack when they have no chance to hit.

-Army Leaders will retreat to get reinforcements when they are loosing.

-Bosses will automatically switch to a different weapon if they can't counter otherwise. Granted, it's kinda cheating...

-Trio-Bosses will go for a Triangle Attack when possible. ...Unfortunately for the Mage Sisters, this means they have to enter melee range.

Besides the fact that enemies are just too weak, it's just that the AI attacks a bit randomly on the standard setting. But that also means, they are harder to predict.

Edited by BrightBow

-Bosses will automatically switch to a different weapon if they can't counter otherwise. Granted, it's kinda cheating...

That has nothing to do with the AI. It's pure cheating - the boss just has every weapon simultaneously equipped.

That has nothing to do with the AI. It's pure cheating - the boss just has every weapon simultaneously equipped.

...How does this not crash the game? And how does the game know which weapon to use in the battle, when there are no scripts for it and it just uses them all at once?

Edited by BrightBow

...How does this not crash the game? And how does the game know which weapon to use in the battle, when there are no scripts for it and it just uses them all at once?

...how didn't you realize that I wasn't speaking literally? The fact that the boss can, in one turn, counter at 2-range with a bow and at 1-range with a sword means that, practically speaking, the boss is simultaneously equipping all (or at least two) of their weapons. That doesn't mean that the code underlying means "boss equip 3 weapons".

Unfortunately while the fe4 AI does have all that you say Brightbow it tends to do stupid things like enemies using a hand axe at 2 range against a bow user, getting into melee range with magic. They also tend to forget terrain bonuses

...how didn't you realize that I wasn't speaking literally? The fact that the boss can, in one turn, counter at 2-range with a bow and at 1-range with a sword means that, practically speaking, the boss is simultaneously equipping all (or at least two) of their weapons. That doesn't mean that the code underlying means "boss equip 3 weapons".

I figured you were speaking literally because you said I was wrong when I said that a boss automatically equips a weapon which can counter.

I figured you were speaking literally because you said I was wrong when I said that a boss automatically equips a weapon which can counter.

I never even sort of said that you were wrong in your assumption that that's what happened. I said you were wrong in thinking that was related to how smart the AI was - the AI is just breaking rules to do that, and I don't consider that to be a factor of smart AI.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

FE12, they only rush you if you trigger them and they only rush in groups. FE13 doesn't have the smartest but they are very aggressive and try to maximize damage, and will kill given the opportunity.

Going to go with FE12 here. The computer knows that, regardless of how many units they lose, we'll reset the second we lose one.

Kinda like how the FE1 AI prioritized Marth over everyone, because if Marth died, we had to restart.

I find the Tellius AI to be a bit easy to take advantage of. If you don't want a certain unit to die, put somebody who can't counterattack nearby.

FE12's AI keeps you on your toes.

The computer will prioritise attacking your Lord, regardless of what FE game you are playing...

Not true. Sometimes AI will attack other players over the lord if they're both in range. In FE1, even if there's like a priest with 1 HP in range as well as Marth with all stats capped, the enemy will still attack Marth.

I found that FE10 enemies like to kill people rather than attack someone who can't counterattack. Then they attack units that they take less damage from, such as a cav attacking Sothe instead of thani-equipped Miccy.

FE5 AI does do some very stupid things. I like to think of it as Jimmy Savile AI, because it's obsessed with trying to catch vulnerable adolescent girls.

I think that FE12 AI is probably the best and certainly the most entertaining to play against, although it does get a bit infuriating trying to figure out exactly what triggers enemies to start moving. I can't think off the top of my head, of anything really weird that it does.

I like FE12's too, some of the enemy formations in FE12 is mildly approaching what you expect from a second player controlling the enemy soldiers. Since it likes things such as not moving specific unit groups until characters are in range of multiple numbers of them.

I find FE13's pretty fun as well because after certain turns in chapters the game will decide to send every single enemy including the boss in some chapters on the map right at you. Which can result in waves of 20+ enemies on the later maps if you're taking too many turns.