What is friendship for you?

ragnell.

For me is a kind of relationship where trust and respect exists, where you don't judge the other for his mistake and you are always there to lend a hand. A bond that is not possessive of the other person and to a certain degree selfless ( being the exception the need of love). A relationship where you share your happiness and your pain and where you grow mutually as a person, reaching new heights spiritually.

This makes me wonder if the people with whom I spend most of my time are really my friends....

So what is friendship for you?

The people I voluntarily spend my time with outside my family who are not colleagues are friends.

I guess people I voluntarily spend time with because they spend time with my friends while I spend time with them (ok that spun a little) would not be my friends. But, those people are almost always a positive influence on things. The only exceptions are those who are so shy (often relatives and significant others) that I barely remember them making a peep after a few hours with them. In that case, I feel bad, because I always worry that I am not doing enough to make them feel welcome. In one case, I am sure I was right, though really, only the friend who brought that person seemed to want them to be there D: Some of just turn out to be quiet, though, and I'm just glad they share their silence with us, except when they talk - then I wish they talked more, but if you tell them that, they clam up.

Edited by Mouse

Selfless? I don't know if I could call any human relationship selfless...

A person takes on a friend to address needs in their lives. Maybe you need someone to talk to, maybe you need someone to play with, maybe you need someone who is knowledgeable in areas you aren't, maybe you need someone with connections, maybe you just need someone etc etc

And as time passes and you invest more in this person and they invest more in you, the relationship grows in personal value

and you will grow as a person through shared experience, having reached a deeper understanding of other people and probably yourself

so I suppose a friendship is an opportunity for me to grow as a person

Magic.

q3dDm.gif

:):

Friendship to me is when me and the other person can really truly open up with each other and listen to each other's problems without fear of judgment. To be able to accept each other's differences and still get along. To be able to make really unPC jokes and still laugh.

Remember kids, real friends help friends move.

I'd like to say a lot of happy things, and the friends I've had have definitely enriched my life, but along with having done kind of a bad job of being a good friend to others going by my standards, I've let some bad spots in a couple ones color the way I see a lot of potential relationships, maybe even people in general if I'm being really dramatic. I made my best friend angry because I misspent an opportunity that, honestly, he probably would've used better then, and he cut off contact. At the time, rather than say how much our friendship meant, which I took for granted was known by both of us, and/or try to mend the breaking bridge, I pretty much poured some gas on it, lit a match and danced a shitty war dance.

I pretty much assumed with close friends that it was always obvious we, I don't know, would always support the other no matter what was going on. I realize now I wasn't really thinking about how I was being really hard to respect and to watch mess up for what had to have looked like no reason, but that whole prior assumption has gone to being something I really, really want but now assume I can't possibly find because I'm not worth it. Now, I probably give a lot less to friendships than I want to (and want to receive), I'm kinda preemptively scared all my friends hate me because I'm a horrible, unremarkable, pointless person and they know it, and if I showed more affection the way I'd want to then I'd be pressuring them to be friends with a shitty person so that's not really a considerate option, is it.

Haha fuck

I'd like to say a lot of happy things, and the friends I've had have definitely enriched my life, but along with having done kind of a bad job of being a good friend to others going by my standards, I've let some bad spots in a couple ones color the way I see a lot of potential relationships, maybe even people in general if I'm being really dramatic. I made my best friend angry because I misspent an opportunity that, honestly, he probably would've used better then, and he cut off contact. At the time, rather than say how much our friendship meant, which I took for granted was known by both of us, and/or try to mend the breaking bridge, I pretty much poured some gas on it, lit a match and danced a shitty war dance.

I pretty much assumed with close friends that it was always obvious we, I don't know, would always support the other no matter what was going on. I realize now I wasn't really thinking about how I was being really hard to respect and to watch mess up for what had to have looked like no reason, but that whole prior assumption has gone to being something I really, really want but now assume I can't possibly find because I'm not worth it. Now, I probably give a lot less to friendships than I want to (and want to receive), I'm kinda preemptively scared all my friends hate me because I'm a horrible, unremarkable, pointless person and they know it, and if I showed more affection the way I'd want to then I'd be pressuring them to be friends with a shitty person so that's not really a considerate option, is it.

Haha fuck

Fuck. Even if I try and say you are amazing, I will probably just sound like "the boy who cried wolf amazing SF user."

Edited by Mouse

Friends are people who I enjoy hanging out with and also make an effort to go and see on a regular basis. I don't expect all my friends to go to the moon and back for me (and vice versa), but likely just by the virtue of enjoying each other's company, we'll do favours for each other so long as it isn't something astronomical. I don't like to burden my friends with my troubles. There's a certain degree of trust I have in my friends but that isn't something that I actively quantify.