What's better...?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally. Though I can't really decide if I like PS1 better or PS2. They're both supra amazing.

The PS2 plays games from both, so it is better system for utility.

Edited by Makaze

The PS3 is backwards compatible with all three if you get the 60 GB fattie. Even the newer ones are still compatible with PSX titles.

Anyways, I'd recommend the PS3. The Wii has some fun games but they're few and far between. And as stated, it can be emulated by a PC anyways, and actually displayed in HD.

The PS3 is backwards compatible with all three if you get the 60 GB fattie. Even the newer ones are still compatible with PSX titles.

Anyways, I'd recommend the PS3. The Wii has some fun games but they're few and far between. And as stated, it can be emulated by a PC anyways, and actually displayed in HD.

I can't find those, they went out of production.

I think the PS2 is still the most impressive console, even now at this point in time.

Yet hilariously, the original XBOX won that console war (for getting a decent market share in a playstation dominated market in a market where the dreamcast was crushed and the GC only played a minor role, without any previous experience to boot)

pc master race

quoted for truth

The PS3 is easily the best system of this gen now that the smoke has cleared, the Wii really isn't worth it in comparison. Getting an extra DVD/Blu-Ray player with your game console is a nice boon too!

Actually the WiiU might end up grabbing that title (and things are looking like it will) because there's some ports of the big titles from other consoles available and it has backward compatibility with the Wii Games. Not to mention apparently GC games will be made available eventually.

As for the PS3 taking "best console" title, I really doubt that in and of itself because the 360 exists. If you look at it volume-wise, the 360 has more A rated games on it's list, if you look at the general style of games, the PS3 has got more Asian games, while the XBOX has more Western games on it. And of course, the PC is always a contender and that console has been a very strong contender for the last few years with the increasing popularity of indie games.

Actually the WiiU might end up grabbing that title (and things are looking like it will) because there's some ports of the big titles from other consoles available and it has backward compatibility with the Wii Games. Not to mention apparently GC games will be made available eventually.

By the time its entry into the modern multiplatform scene is genuinely relevant to a purchaser's decision, there will be a new Playstation and Xbox out. While it might retain multiplatform status, I see it going much the same way that the Wii did previously, with a few here and there with awful controls and worse graphics.

As for the PS3 taking "best console" title, I really doubt that in and of itself because the 360 exists. If you look at it volume-wise, the 360 has more A rated games on it's list, if you look at the general style of games, the PS3 has got more Asian games, while the XBOX has more Western games on it. And of course, the PC is always a contender and that console has been a very strong contender for the last few years with the increasing popularity of indie games.

Wait, how is the 360 a contender when looking at exclusives? The PS3 has more exclusives in volume. And I'd say it has a slight lead in terms of AAA exclusives, personally. The 360 has Halo, Gears of War, and Fable as its flagship series, but PS3 has Uncharted, Killzone, and God of War. It also has some innovative gems like Valkyria Chronicles, LittleBigPlanet, and Heavy Rain. While I'd say the 360 has some neat exclusives such as Blue Dragon and Chromehounds, and Ace Combat 6, they're not really what I'd call AAA titles.

And I had assumed we were keeping the PC out of this, as a well-made PC is easily the winner of this competition. It can play and emulate decades of old consoles even up to current gen titles, and has a healthy selection of new and innovative titles thanks to online distribution juggernauts like Steam. Like I just got done playing some Fire Emblem on the Dolphin emulator.

Don't be dissin' Ace Combat 6. That's the only reason I got myself a 360 over a PS3.

I've always been somewhat of a fan of Ace Combat, but was thinking about holding off on buying it when it first came out for the price to go down. But after I saw the trailer for it I was so blown away I went out and got it immediately.

God I'm a sucker for well-made videogame trailers.

Esau, how come you interpreted A-rated games as console exclusives?

Because they are the only things that separate the consoles. If all of them have the same A-rated multiplatform games then there is no difference between any of them, so I assumed when you said it you were referring to titles that make that console unique.

You completely different things altogether. And why do you want to argue next gen consoles anyway, when far off anyway and a console for seventh gen games or below is being considered?

Because you mentioned the Wii U, which is a next-generation console, and the fact that it is now receiving multiplatform titles that also head towards the PS3 and Xbox.

Yet hilariously, the original XBOX won that console war (for getting a decent market share in a playstation dominated market in a market where the dreamcast was crushed and the GC only played a minor role, without any previous experience to boot)

That's not called winning. To win, you gotta be number one. All those who fall behind are losers. The Xbox was maybe the best loser.

But the original Xbox was a shitty console anyway so it doesn't matter in the end.

Seriously, how does that mean Xbox won that console war? It may have gotten second place but it wasn't by a huge margin. The fact that it came in the market and did reasonably well doesn't count it as a winner. I mean people today are still arguing about the PSX vs. N64. If we factored in that it was Sony's first console then they absolutely thrashed Nintendo.

But the original Xbox was a shitty console anyway so it doesn't matter in the end.

Them's fightin' words. I loved my Xbox even with all its faults.

That's not true! It had Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic 2,

fuck, it's more difficult than I thought it would be to come up with more off the top of my head.

Splinter Ce-no I can't really use that I never played the first Splinter Cell

hrm

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could claim the original Xbox won anything, lol. It had no games and it lost Microsoft $4 billion. Meanwhile the PS2 expanded its market from the previous generation by a larger amount than the Xbox sold in its lifetime.

How the fuck do you mention cool exclusives without talking about Guns of the Patriots

I thought we were talking about games and not movies.

It goes without saying that it's a big exclusive, but wasn't a series so I didn't mention it. I wanted to note titles that weren't massive but were very well made.

OK SORRY

I love it too, how can a parent not love their child? But it had like...all of four good games.

That's true, it didn't have a whole lot comparatively, but I think it had a good library of exclusives. The Halos, KotORs, Fable, Jade Empire, Conker, Steel Batallion, Ninja Gaiden, GunValkyrie, Jet Set Radio, and the Mechassault games were all worth owning. Also, it had Phantom Dust, which is one of my favorite games of all time. Came out at like $30 retail the very first day it was released when I bought it. Such a gem.

Also it had DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball which was a great game