Would you rather get raped or be killed?

Junkhead

So me and my friends were talking normally, and I don't exactly recall how this was brought up, but my friend asked me if I would rather get raped or be killed. I said I'd rather be killed, and then they were startled. I thought it was normal to prefer death over something like that.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I spoke of revenge, I was talking about all avenues, ranging from lawful to killing the attacker yourself.

While I'd imagine killing or maiming the attacker yourself would be most satisfactory and understandable, some people somehow manage to stay within the boundaries of the law and report it. Sadly there are too many people around the world who don't even report it for reasons ranging from embarrassment to fear of being killed by their own family for the sake of "honour." And some people just outright kill themselves. It's sad.

The way I see it is, no matter how bad it gets, no matter how terrible waking up every day and trying to live is, as long as you're alive, it can get better. Not that it necessarily will, but if you die, there's no chance you'll ever be happy. It's just over. So, I would rather be raped than be killed. I would rather have pretty much anything happen to me, if it meant I could continue to live, and just possibly keep journeying toward happiness.

Death is the ultimate cure for despair. But it also marks the end.

And raping is something someone can't take if it isn't reported, or done anything about it. Raping for this reason could also lead to death. That's why we must help them out so they don't kill themselves and to prevent this vicious cycle.

I rather get raped. Sure it would be bad and I would be scarred for life BUT I'm still alive. I could get therapy to deal with that horrible moment. Then I can move on with my life. With death there's no such option. I would rather live with my fears and face them than die and be free of pain.

There's SO many factors in this, you can't just say "I'd prefer being killed/raped over being raped/killed".

For example, what kind of death is it? Is it a quick and painless death or a long and gruesome one? And how "bad" is the raping? If it's so bad that you can never be happy again, then yes, I would prefer to die. But unless something like this has happened to you, it's hard to imagine what you will feel after being raped. And it's also hard to expect what the future will bring.

So, this isn't a yes or no (or a death or rape) kinda question. At least, it isn't for me...

The way I see it is, no matter how bad it gets, no matter how terrible waking up every day and trying to live is, as long as you're alive, it can get better. Not that it necessarily will, but if you die, there's no chance you'll ever be happy. It's just over. So, I would rather be raped than be killed. I would rather have pretty much anything happen to me, if it meant I could continue to live, and just possibly keep journeying toward happiness.

This. No matter how shitty anything makes you feel, you always have an opportunity to either make it better, or make the most of it.

Between opening this thread and posting this message I have probably gone further down the rabbit hole (wikipedia psych pages) than was necessary

I find it kind of hard to balance giving rape/torture in general and their consequences the appropriate weight, while also avoiding making them seem so bad that recovery sounds impossible to somebody who might actually be under the tremendous amount of pressure they can cause, because they wouldn't need that extra pressure from me, and recovery at least to the point of repairing function is certainly possible.

So yeah I'd probably take "even more therapy" over "premature end," though I'd try pretty hard to ensure "none of the above" was an option

Soul if what you said happened to tip somebody's scales and cause them, in their distress, to actually decide to kill themselves would you still have any dignity?

(I have been successfully madded, yes, thanks for asking)

Edited by eclipse
Merged double post

This is a pretty moronic and insensitive topic to start, to be honest. But I'd like to see what Soul's got to say in reply to some people's posts before it does get locked.

Not sure. Need more experience.

How about fighting back?

"Erm, if you think about these things all the time, do you think that'll make you more or less likely to fight back?"

"Probably less likely."

"So you just don't like losing, right?"

"I'm not totally sure about that...why don't we talk about this some more?"

"To be honest, I'm not very honest, so I'm not very interested in the conversation, being as it is couched as though it is about something important, yet doesn't seem to be. I do like the sound of my own voice though."

EDIT-The sound of my own voice coming from my own throat into my own ears - it seems.

Edited by Mouse

Well... yeah even I would prefer rape over death...

I'd still have my family~ I would still have Integrity! And I'd have Spectakitty! I'd still have my SF friends.

This could just be me being stupid, but rape just kinda sounds like the kind of thing I could put behind myself more easily than others...

Meanwhile if I died, it wouldn't matter if I still had my family or my friends or not. But it would (does it sound cocky assuming this? D=) matter to them if they lost me ;~; I've lost somebody I cared for before, as I'm sure many have, and I would never wish for that feel upon anybody, so I don't think I'd ever wish for something that would cause people to feel that way...

Edited by Freohr Datia