New Forum Software

Jyosua

Discussed before in public or private~?

Because some of us are curious about knowing, as well ^~^ If it was discussed before in public then I missed it and I apologize about that. But couldn't the rest of us left in the dark understand, as well?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was done to prevent elitism and egotism based on forum activity. People are childish and it has happened in the past. Most forums I visit nowadays have made similar measures and also do not display post counts, so this shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. The value of a member should be in the quality, not quantity of their posts.

Every time there's a forum update, post counts tend to return temporarily due to the default skin. This issue is a dead horse... just leave it be.

Considering that Red Fox has the highest post count on the forum, I have little doubt in my mind that that's related to her motivation for wanting post counts to return.

It was done to prevent elitism and egotism based on forum activity. People are childish and it has happened in the past. Most forums I visit nowadays have made similar measures and also do not display post counts, so this shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. The value of a member should be in the quality, not quantity of their posts.

Although I enjoy post counts -- and SF is one of the only forums I frequent without them -- this is a surprisingly egalitarian reason. I can't say I have a problem with this rationale.

A public discussion relating to the matter would be nice. Where's the democracy?

A forum is not a democracy. People may not like hearing that, but it's the truth.

Although I enjoy post counts -- and SF is one of the only forums I frequent without them -- this is a surprisingly egalitarian reason. I can't say I have a problem with this rationale.

It's not like I enjoy removing things and do it just for fun. :V I try to make the place as enjoyable as possible, without doing so at the expense of anyone.

Yes, I can understand where you're coming from on that... Personally I don't see it as that big a deal so much and I would imagine majority of the elitist comments would just be a joke, but I guess if you want to be very certain that such comments could be prevented...

And while knowing postcount can be pretty fun, it isn't really necessary anyway ^~^ Hopefully it really does help people try to aim more for quality posts rather than quantity~ I'm not saying that'll 100% work like that of course, since that isn't the only factor that affects post quality x3 Just improve?

But... now

I'm going to publicly complain about you getting mad about one of your mods questioning you in public, and then continue on to make some accusation about your mod in public that you really don't know is true at all. It probably doesn't mean as much as I make it out to be, but it certainly annoyed me x3

A forum is not a democracy. People may not like hearing that, but it's the truth.

That's exactly the kind of thing a dictator would say!

JK of course. But whatever, it's been gone for four years so I can't say it'll be missed.

Join date is still missing, however.

You can see join date when you hover over names, so it's not that big of a deal

I don't really care about the postcount thing, people will complain about it for a bit and the completely drop it in a week and forget it was ever an issue

But... now

I'm going to publicly complain about you getting mad about one of your mods questioning you in public, and then continue on to make some accusation about your mod in public that you really don't know is true at all. It probably doesn't mean as much as I make it out to be, but it certainly annoyed me x3

United front and all. It's better that we argue about stuff behind the scenes.

You can see join date when you hover over names, so it's not that big of a deal

I don't really care about the postcount thing, people will complain about it for a bit and the completely drop it in a week and forget it was ever an issue

Oh, didn't notice that hover feature. That's alright, isn't it.

United front and all. It's better that we argue about stuff behind the scenes.

No, she's got a good point. I shouldn't have made the comment I did about Red Fox just wanting her post count visible because it's the highest.

No, she's got a good point. I shouldn't have made the comment I did about Red Fox just wanting her post count visible because it's the highest.

That's true as well.

I noticed that post count is gone? D: I don't care about popularity contests, but I always did like seeing how much I've contributed to discussions and the like. Is it an optional option now, or is it gone for good? D:

Yeah. Mine is rather low considering how long ive been here. But like, i kinda like knowing how many posts i had outside of FftF.

Damn it, Jyo, why couldn't you just leave post counts this time?

:):

Plenty of people like having them and there is really no reason to not have them. I don't understand why you insist on removing them.

I always figured it was also easier for mods to see how many posts a member has. Somewhat easier to keep track of things. It was for me when i was a mod.

It was done to prevent elitism and egotism based on forum activity.

Da hell? People....still do this? D: I havent seen anyone do that on a forum in like...5 years.

The preposterous size of my ego has nothing to do with my forum activity. it has more to do with the fact that I'm just freaking amazing, and... amazing... and amazing.

Well that stinks. Rajaion Red was the only amazing skin you guys had, imo.

Gee, no need to be bitter about it. They're doing their best!

Da hell? People....still do this? D: I havent seen anyone do that on a forum in like...5 years.

Yeah, people still do this. All the time. I started browsing forums 4 years ago and have seen postcount bragging contests and new people being belittled for having only a few posts constantly. Can't speak for the past year, however, since SF is the only forum I've been visiting. :P: It's so peaceful without a visible postcount...

Anyway...

Am I the only person bothered by the bigger default font size? Wouldn't doubt it. Just curious. I find it difficult to read Arial in size 11 or higher...but that's just me.

Personally I was always curious why join date wasn't removed. I thought that the reasons brought up for the removal of the post count applied even more there. What better way to be elitist then to invoke seniority?

Edited by BrightBow

Yeeeaaaaah I joined a week after the forum was made and there's nothing you can do about it! I get to be so cool! ^o^

The other thing though is that with the member ID, you can already tell who the "veterans" are, seeing as I'm member 102 and the members are in the 7000s currently. I guess in a way it'd make it less obvious and there'd be no such thing as "yay 5 year anniversary for me todaaaay" stuffs unless somebody decided to save the date they joined for some reason x3

Am I the only person bothered by the bigger default font size? Wouldn't doubt it. Just curious. I find it difficult to read Arial in size 11 or higher...but that's just me.

Nope, you're not the only one. It's probably just aesthetic, but I find it .....odd reading the text in bigger default size. I wonder if that can be changed. >.> cause I'm sure it's just the forums and not my browser...

But anyway, I'm really surprised at the speed the forums are recovering from the update. So props to Jyosua! after that entire thing about the postcount. I could care less about postcount or well, the join date. Though it might seem biased seeing as I can still be seen as a new member.

Edited by Cordelia

Alright I'm not really complaining because this really only saves one click, but for the sake of betterment of the site...

Ok, so you know how at the top of the page it will say like,

It never works to hit "General forums", or "Fire Emblem Forums" when I'm on any of the forums. I don't even know if that's important at all, and I'm guessing somebody has pointed it out but I'm a lazy motherfucker who feels important pointing things out that don't work.

Gee, no need to be bitter about it. They're doing their best!

Well, I can't help not liking this boring green skin we're stuck with right now. xP

you can go to the even more boring but blue skin if you want. The default blue is there for anyone that doesn't like green.

That's exactly why I don't use it. lol Even the green one is better. xP

Well, I can't help not liking this boring green skin we're stuck with right now. xP

Well then, you'll just have to learn patience! And it kinda insults the people who work hard on the skins to make a comment like "well this one's the only good one you have" because now you make it sound like a wasted effort on their part ;/

Thankfully, I am very fond of the colour green so I don't have to care about any of the other skins bring brought back anymore x3