Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Nowi's pretty good. Kinda hard to go wrong with a manakete class anyway.

Nowi's bases start off next to nothing, with a whopping 3+3 speed, meaning she is gonna get doubled unless she is paired up. However, she has some pretty good growths, and gets up to speed fairly fast with some babying, and the low level helps a lot. With Dragonstones, Nowi is surprisingly tanky at the start, aside from 18 health, which is mitigated quickly due to a very high HP growth and maybe a seraph robe. All in all, Nowi may need some babying, but ends up pretty good at the end. One thing to note is Tiki, who probably outclasses her pretty badly in almost every way.

7/10 with -.5 bias for 6.5/10

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowi's bases start off next to nothing, with a whopping 3+3 speed, meaning she is gonna get doubled unless she is paired up. However, she has some pretty good growths, and gets up to speed fairly fast with some babying, and the low level helps a lot. With Dragonstones, Nowi is surprisingly tanky at the start, aside from 18 health, which is mitigated quickly due to a very high HP growth and maybe a seraph robe. All in all, Nowi may need some babying, but ends up pretty good at the end. One thing to note is Tiki, who probably outclasses her pretty badly in almost every way.

..except availability... Nowi also have slightly better Def maximum.

Otherwise, this sumarizes her perfectly.

One thing to note is Tiki, who probably outclasses her pretty badly in almost every way.

This is false. Tiki will have trouble doubling if Nowi is having trouble doubling (she'll double liek 1-2 more enemies) and Nowi has higher strength and defense and availability and a kid...

List of enemies that Tiki does not double with Say'ri after her joining chapter:

Walmart

List of enemies that Tiki does not double after soloing her joining chapter on average:

Nowi can solo Tiki's join chapter as well <_< the only difference is that Tiki trivializes the game immediately while Nowi needs a chapter working on her. Which is paid off by having higher availability.

Also Tiki's not going to solo her join chapter.

Edited by bearclaw13

6.5/10.

Nowi's bases aren't that amazing. After a while, she is able to take many Enemy phases with ease and has a very good 1-2 range weapon. Her low speed can hamper her tanking capabilities later on in the game, but should be fine with a speed support.

When you are a manakete, defense really isn't that much of an issue, :P

I sorta meant by that is that if you baby nowi and use her, she will end up about the same as Tiki when you get her normally, so it's kinda not even worth it when you know you get an uberunit later on. I guess you can use both..

When you are a manakete, defense really isn't that much of an issue, :P

I sorta meant by that is that if you baby nowi and use her, she will end up about the same as Tiki when you get her normally, so it's kinda not even worth it when you know you get an uberunit later on. I guess you can use both..

Well, the question is wether you needs a Manakete in your team before Tiki arrives... Depend of the playthrough, I guess.

I plan to gives both the same note, anyway...

Edited by TendaSlime

I'll give her a 10/10 because of people who can't use her properly needing to be balanced out.

This is this pretty much complete horseshit. The idea is to give a unit the score you think they deserve, not try to influence the end result as much as possible. The scores will balance themselves out because people have different opinions- neither yours nor anyone else's is objectively right and people shouldn't be giving their votes weight just because they want the average to reflect their opinions more.

Requesting that this vote be thrown out, honestly. I don't like RTUs largely because people try to abuse the system like this.

Edited by Liquid Snake

this, all the way down to the same bias (-1 for Nowi being Nowi, +0.5 for Nah being cool)

Bases are really lame. She gets way too much hype for being invincible when it's really not hard to get her killed. She has the same base speed as Virion around 10 chapters or something later. She levels fast and has constant 1-2 range, but so does every mage ever who can fight well. And tomes aren't stupidly expensive (I can buy a Thoron for less than a regular Dragonstone, for god's sake).

I don't see being 2HKOed by Dark Mage+Barbarian on her join chapter as "surprisingly tanky" either.

2/10, -1 bias for 1/10 because fuck Nowi.

Personally, I don't get all the Nowi Hype, but whatever.

Nowi: She comes in a desert with 3+2 Speed effectively giving her 5 Speed. Which can be boosted by GREGOR support luckily. She has 2+10 Defense which is 12+1 from GREGOR. Like SB has said, she can get 2HKO'd in her join chapter, which hardly says she is "invincible". Auto C with GREGOR is nice. Her start in the desert in the middle of a bunch of units who could 2HKO her does no good at all. Also for anyone who says Ricken has bad Speed, he and Nowi share a Speed growth and base.

So 5/10-1 bias because her start does her no good at all.

Pros:

- 6 Mov unpromoted

- Growth that resulted in a pretty tanky unit

- Dominance over extremely powerful 1-2 range at 50 uses

Cons:

- Heres the problem, this game does NOT need an "invincible" unit unless its like Chapter 14, MAYBE(a huge maybe) Walmart, and Valider, and some children's paralogue

- Alvailability that happened to be right at the Flier Bias

- shitty base stats

Basically, Nowi is like Frederick who started extremely weak. She needs babying to get anywhere, and when she actually get there(maybe with a help from Robes or two), she merely become a promoted unit(complete with 1 - 2 range) with solid stats and..... thats it. Nowi's flaws can be connected with the game's design that is OH SO filled with assassination chapters after assassination chapters.

Granted, there are some advantages that you can get by having a trained Nowi around, namely being able to do Severa, and Yarne's paralogue sooner, but I don't think the benefit outweight her..... glaring flaws

And BTW if you reclass her, you are either at the mercy of RNG(Mage/Sage) or stuck with 1 Range because of weapon ranks(Wyvern Rider), not to mention her starting level is not as bro as Panne does, despite havin practically same reclass options. Basically, her reclassing capability still sucked because she joined pretty late on the first half

All in all, a rather good example of a middle line between terrible overkill growth unit and usable overkill growth unit.

2/10

-1 Bias because.... I don't think I really need to explain

Edited by JSND

Nowi has a str base of 4+8 and a def base of 2+10, both of which are pretty good. Another point to mention is her base 2+7 res, which is the highest in the game thus far, all on a lvl 3 unit (though the dragonstone is purely responsible for this). She also has practically permanent usage of a 1-2 range weapon with all this durability. Nowi's growths are balanced across the board, with especially high HP, def and res growths. However, when her base speed is equal to that a Knight that was recruited back in chapter 3's, you know that's a problem. Her 50% growth rate in spd also means that she will have a very hard time doubling without speed based pair up bonuses. Also, that base 18 HP is bad for this point in the game, meaning that it is surprisingly easy for her to die on her joining chapter. Her Manakete skills, Odd Biorhythm and Wyrmsbane, are a bit too situational for my tastes.

Nowi can reclass into Wyvern Rider, giving her a nice stat bonus, axe usage, and flying. However, this tanks her low speed growth a bit further and she no longer has 1-2 range without using weaker hand axes. The skills are quite nice, especially compared to Manakete skills. Nowi can also reclass into Mage so she can use her mediocre magic stat and still be a foot unit using 1-2 range but with less tankiness.

4.5/10, a terrible starting unit that can grow into an unkillable tank with constant 1-2 range

Edited by The Batter

NOWAI!

Yeah, because she IS terrible.

Pros:

+ uhh, nice defense I guess

+ strong 1-2 range is cool

Cons

- DAT SPEED

- Class set sucks in min maxing (You know it sucks when All Stats +2 is one of your best options)

- Has terrible offense because of her speed (like she won't ever OHKO so her offense pales in comparison to: Tharja, Panne, Sully, Stahl, Sumia, Cordelia, Lucina, Chrom, Avatar, Vaike, Miriel, Lon'qu, Gaius, Gregor, Cherche, Anna, Say'ri and Tiki)

- Dragonstone is a terrible weapon in Postgame since it can't be forged

- is a loli (-1 bias)

- being invincible is her only claim to fame, except this is hard mode so she isn't the only one who is invincible.

- base stats are the suck

0/10 after bias.

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

Yeah, No Braves is why I hate the stones.

Like Dragonstones are better than like Beaststones and Bows (which isn't saying much :P), but like they don't compete with the other four (especially tomes, Celica's Gale <3).

Nowi

+ Dragonstone bonuses

+ Constant 1-2 range

+ Good growths in strength, defense, HP

+ Tank potential

- Terrible start with low stats

- Reclass isn't great for her at level 10 because her low stats need the Dragonstone bonuses for a good while

- Speed always seems to stay bad no matter how much training I give her, even though it's apparently 50%

5/10 she would get a higher score if she wasn't so bad at first

I agree with many points about Nowi, but it all boils down to "Starts out kind of bad, takes a bit of time to get going, and then turns out pretty decent". However, I don't view this as a bad thing. Differing opinions and all that, but I consider Nowi to be a really great unit. I've personally never had a hard time training her, and that's without slowing down more than one or two turns in total, ever. I might have just gotten lucky in all of the playthrough I've used her in, but I find all the hype to be pretty much justified.

I've heard people say she has a massive speed problem, but that's something I've never noticed. I think Nowi might have gotten Speed Blessed in all of my past runs, so PEMN here. She does gain experience pretty fast after reclassing back to level one, which makes it pretty easy to keep using her and getting her stronger. I may be a bit biased here in that I've played more in Lunatic than Hard, and she probably helps far more in Lunatic mode, but she always quickly ends up being very, very hard to kill in all of the modes, for me, and I think she deserves a bit of respect because of how close to invincible she can be. Just because other units can take hits about as well at times doesn't make her ability to do it any less helpful, right?

9/10, because Nowi compliments my playstyle really well, and is always one of my best units, so I honestly believe she deserves this rating. If she could fly as a Manakete, she'd be pretty much perfect.

+1 Bias, because I tend to end up liking the units that consistently turn out amazing for me, making that 10/10. I also have utterly no opinion one way or the other on how she dresses, so that doesn't subtract any points for me, and I like her character for the most part, as well.

I think it should be noted that I don't do LTC. I play pretty fast these days, going for low turns, but not lowest. I don't always try to clear maps in a single turn, and I don't only use units that get things done fastest. If you're looking for ratings based on that kind of thing, I've honestly got no idea how good anybody would be, including Nowi, and I've got no interest in finding out. My rating applies to the kind of playstyle I use, because that's the kind of thing I have experience with. This also applies entirely to the actual main game, and not the post game and grinding and all that, since I don't really bother with any of that, either.

And now, my first Rate-the-unit rating ever is done. That wasn't so bad.

Oh man, Nowi. From the second you see Nowi, you know you're looking at fucked up japanese culture. Why isn't she wearing any clothes? Since my own style of play is to turtle like all hell and boss abuse, Nowi's initial low stats don't matter to me. She practically can scare anyone off (what do you expect from japanese culture). Her durability is through the roof, so loltonics and pairups and whatever it is these days that makes stats irrelevant. Basically, she's one of the best sandbagged characters in the game.

6.5/10 +1 bias for living in a sandbag, 7.5/10

Edited by Constable Reggie

Bases are really lame. She gets way too much hype for being invincible when it's really not hard to get her killed. She has the same base speed as Virion around 10 chapters or something later. She levels fast and has constant 1-2 range, but so does every mage ever who can fight well. And tomes aren't stupidly expensive (I can buy a Thoron for less than a regular Dragonstone, for god's sake).

I don't see being 2HKOed by Dark Mage+Barbarian on her join chapter as "surprisingly tanky" either.

2/10, -1 bias for 1/10 because fuck Nowi.

Gonna go with this for my own rating, btw

NOWAI!

Yeah, because she IS terrible.

Pros:

+ uhh, nice defense I guess

+ strong 1-2 range is cool

Cons

- DAT SPEED

- Class set sucks in min maxing (You know it sucks when All Stats +2 is one of your best options)

- Has terrible offense because of her speed (like she won't ever OHKO so her offense pales in comparison to: Tharja, Panne, Sully, Stahl, Sumia, Cordelia, Lucina, Chrom, Avatar, Vaike, Miriel, Lon'qu, Gaius, Gregor, Cherche, Anna, Say'ri and Tiki)

- Dragonstone is a terrible weapon in Postgame since it can't be forged

- is a loli (-1 bias)

- being invincible is her only claim to fame, except this is hard mode so she isn't the only one who is invincible.

- base stats are the suck

0/10 after bias.

This, but +1 bias because she doesn't deserve the hate. 1/10

I find Nowi unimpressive in Hard mode. Her durability sucks at first and is overkill once it gets going and it's hard to get her to double. Still, she does have that great durability, forever 1-2 range, and promoted foot unit Move from the beginning. 6/10.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire