Fire Emblem: Wretched Whispers, Act 1: Three Days

charlie_

Mel giggled. "Ben, well, juste let me know eef you need some more 'ealing! I am starting to enjoy doing zis. I appear to 'ave a knack for eet." She flopped onto the ground again, relaxing in her robes. "I am so tired, zough... Lugos, do you sink I could ride wis you and your wyvern, once we start moving, again? I am juste... So very tired, from all of zat 'ealing."

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hey, it's my job to be concerned. Glad to see you're all set, though," Sheikah spoke to the now-healed Lugos. "Don't push yourself before we even get there, alright?" The wyvern rider sat down to relax once again, mulling over their current situation. How did Nora get tangled up with this sorta group, anyway? The whole thing seems bizarre. And a wyvern rider among them surely means there's something more to all of this... doesn't it?

That had been enough resting for Magali, thus she slowly stood up from her improvised meditation spot.

Giving a quick glance to her surroundings, Magali then addressed the two men in front of her."Wolfgang, are you doing fine? If you think you still feel something... well, I don't have a healing staff with me anymore, but I can get Melanie or Diana. Same goes for you, Peter."

Edited by Xinnidy

Calden must have been the one in the wagon, then... that made sense enough. A convoy was always useful to have around, after all. Well, that aside, it seemed that things had mostly been dealt with, so Celestia began looking around the gathered people, trying to ingrain their faces into her memory.

While Mel sat herself on the ground, humming, and letting the Boss talk with Lugos, she spotted that new woman looking about at everyone in the group. Hmm. Ben, oui, she was ze one 'oo used zat light magic in ze battle. "'Alloooo, madaaaame. Ici." She hoped that would've been enough to get her attention. Maybe she could learn a thing or two about light magic so it didn't destroy her so terribly the night time she fought.

And it seemed in her attempts to recall the faces of her new companions, she had drawn some amount of attention, being called over by the healer who had tended to her earlier. She hadn't noticed it earlier due to the heat of battle, but the girl's accent was... somewhat peculiar. If she recalled correctly, she had heard something similar near the mountains of Velms, but never quite so thick... still, she must have been from the area, at the least, and Celestia was understanding her well enough for the time being that it didn't seem an issue.

"Ah, hello. How can I help you... Melanie, was it? I believe I heard someone call you that..."

"Oui, c'est Melanie, merci," she said, glad this woman had heard her name, amongst everything that was happening. It was a bit surprising, honestly. "Ben, zough, I do not know votre nom. Could you tell me, s'il vous plait?" Mel decided to give the woman a once over, wondering where her attire came from, as well. "Aussi, you used zat, ehm... Light magique, oui? 'Ow do you do zat? I use ze dark magique, donc... Ze ozzer magics, zey are very confusing."

"Oh, of course. My name is Celestia, Celestia Elianne." The prior named woman replied with a smile, glad she hadn't misheard Melanie's own name, somehow. Then the woman began asking about her magic, noting that she herself was a practitioner of dark magic, herself. She still wasn't quite used to people being so open about that... in Velms she would have been put to death for saying that around the wrong crowd... though Celestia had thought the woman to be of Velms herself... maybe she had been off?

"Well, I'd say your magic is as much a mystery, to me... I was never physically very strong, but with monsters about like they have been, you need to be able to fight o survive... light simply clicked with me, more than the others, so I stuck with it. I'm not a formal student of magic, or anything of the sort..."

[spoiler=Xinnidy]It's "Melanie" not "Magali"!

Peter turned when he heard his name. "I think Wolfgang's fine. Melanie just finished with him." He shot Magali a sheepish look as his stomach rumbled. "I took quite the beating out there, but it's nothing a good meal won't fix. How are you holding up?"

After Sheikah was done talking with Lugos, Artemis asked her, "Hey, boss? About the cult that we've been fighting, what do we actually know about them? Why would they be after Nora?" Something about this whole situation felt oddly familiar.

Sheikah looked up at the pegasus knight a bit surprised, caught-off guard in the midst of her thinking. "Well, this Regus is someone who can summon and manipulate monsters, so presumably he's using that to gain some sort of control. Summoning is really difficult, so he is probably a skilled user of other magics, too. There's a lot you could get out of killing a noble, regardless... money, perhaps, or favor elsewhere. Maybe some sort of grudge, maybe there's still more to it... I don't know for sure." She sighed. "What we do know is that regardless of motives, this guy is dangerous, and he was willing to harm civilians as seen in Ardiera. Whatever his reasons are, strong morals probably aren't high on his priority list, though I'd think that applies to most people willing to use monsters, anyway... Hopefully we'll reach him soon, but I bet that he's still got some of his best with him. Ardiera wasn't too bad since the monsters and people didn't work with each other, but these guys were fairly tough."

"Franchement," Mel mumbled, upon hearing this Celestia's name. It was another complicated name for her to wrap her tongue around, alas. "Merci, Cellll... Celestiahh,' she fumbled, cursing under her breath. Never mind zat! "Ben, could I see votre light magique tome? I would like to read eet and see eef I could, ehm... Try to cast somesing from ze tome. Juste to see. Also, where would you 'appen to be from? Votre attire, eet ees somesing I 'ave not see..." She didn't think it was bad, just, uncommon. Those leggings looked comfortable! More comfortable than robes.

"Mmm, that's about right, just don't hold the end for so long. As for the tome, sure, I don't see any harm... just don't aim it at me if you do cast something." Celestia replied with a light giggle, as she passed the spellbook over to Melanie. Of course, then the issue of her home town came up... Celestia let out a light sigh before responding.

"It was a small town called Linbourne in central Velms... not that it's there, anymore... it was overrun and dismantled by the monster hordes. As for what I'm wearing, well... it's just something I bought along the way, with my earnings from slaying monsters... it's comfortable, warm, and well, I thought it looked nice, myself, so that was all the thought I really put into it... I'm not strong enough to ride and fight wearing a bunch of heavy metal armour..." Celestia confessed somewhat sheepisly, with a slight grin on her face.

"Ah, merci~ I 'ave always wondered about zese tomes... Even more so now zat I 'ave been srown about by one." She was referring to collapsing earlier, when faced with one of the enemy monks. She casually flipped through it and listened to Celestia, brightening up when she heard Valms. "Eh, moi aussi! Zat ees wonderful," but it wasn't wonderful, as the woman continued. "Oh... Je suis désolé. My village, eet 'ad a similar circumstance 'appen. Not to ze monsters, ben..." she stopped, instead trying to focus on the clothes talk. "I only 'ave zis robe... B-Ben, wait, I 'ave clothes on underneas, of course!" she clarified, taking a breathe. "Juste, pants, a shirt... Nossing spécial. Maybe I should find somesing een ze next village we visit."

"Well, nothing's been the same ever since this whole thing started, after all... and when the teams that were supposed to clear the monsters out of Velms did a half-assed job because it wasn't home to them, what can you expect?" Celestia replied with another sigh... there wasn't anything to be done about it now, really...

"It couldn't hurt to do that, right? I mean, it's nice, shopping for clothes every once in a while... for a little bit, you can take your mind off of things..."

That last line sent a chill down Mel's spine. "Er... Sent to clear ze monsters, out?" she asked, stopping her page rifling for a moment. "What do you mean?" She didn't want to talk about clothing after hearing that. Was the group that killed her family sent to do that? Why? Why would they have gone that far, then?

"Mmm... didn't you know? The Angalans came to Velms to get rid of the monsters, after they finished cleansing their own country, but they didn't do it properly, and there were still a lot left over, after that. Why would they care what state Velms was left in, after all? The monsters they left behind destroyed plenty of places, like my home town... I heard it left a lot of people paranoid, too... some people went in mobs to kill off people who used dark magic because they got paranoid and thought they were responsible for the monsters still being around... it was a huge mess." Celestia replied with a sigh.

Well, that was that. Mel closed the tome and buried her face in her hands. She started to cry, even. All those sad memories of losing her family like that, coming back all at once, and for what? Paranoia? Misinformation? Evil people? For such a pointless reason... At some point, she'd tried to rationalize it; perhaps the perpetrators had some divine reason for what they did... But if this was why, then it really had been pointless. "Criss de calice... All of zat, for nossing... Pourqoui?" Mel asked, blubbering through her tears.

Edited by I have opinions

"H-hey... are you okay?" Celestia asked, as Melanie suddenly broke down. She froze for a moment, not quite sure what to do, eventually opting to reach over and pull the sobbing mage into a light hug... it was the least she could do, since it seemed that revelation had snapped something for the woman.

"I... I might be stepping out of line here, but I'm sorry for bringing it up... need to get anything off your chest?" Celestia continued, attempting to comfort Melanie, gently rubbing her back as she spoke softly to the dark user.

The hug was appreciated, though she didn't return it. She simply sat there and cried to herself. Was there something she needed to get off of her chest? Oh yeah. "Ma famille entière à été tué, et pour quoi? De la paranoïa stupide? Des fausses croyances? Et je suis sensée d'accepter tout ça? Je veux dire, Je ne peux rien faire à propos de ça; Ils sont morts, mais... Je me suis dit qu'ils sont morts pour une raison... Et maintenant tu me dis que c'est qu'un mensonge? C'est trop." She shut up real quick like after that, trying to put a lid on the shower. She didn't want to attract too much attention to this; it was just old memories, after all...

Edited by I have opinions

Well... this was... awkward. Mostly because, while she had managed to follow along for the most part so far, Melanie had lost her, now that she was talking fully in this dialect of hers, and could not do much past squeezing the mage more tightly.

"Err... this is somewhat embarrassing, but... ah... I don't quite understand..." Celestia admitted, blushing slightly as she did so. Better to do this now, than to be asked for a response and not have one...

Melanie sighed. She'd expected that. She didn't have anyone that would really understand her speaking like that, anymore. "Ben, eet ees alright... Ma famille... My family. Zey were all killed by zese... Cleaners. I use dark magique, like mon parents... And I guess zey juste sought zat meant we could summon ze monstres... Calice... Criss de calice..." Mel sniffled back her tears, sighing. "Eet ees juste too much. Je suis désolé..."

Sheikah was a bit surprised to hear the sound of quiet crying. Shutting her notes and stowing them in Privia's saddlebag quickly, she turned to investigate the source of the sound and seeing Celestia and Melanie not too far from her. "Hey, are you two alright? What's wrong, Melanie?" She sat down next to the two of them, trying to do her best to be comforting but feeling slightly out of place and nervously playing with her hair instead. This is new... oh no, ummm... "Let me know if I can do anything, alright?"

She had a feeling that had been something to do with it, but the confirmation made it hit even harder. Celestia continued to squeeze Melanie tightly, at this time also clenching her fists at the woman's words.

"I'm so sorry... I should have thought more, before I said anything..." Celestia noted, shaking her head. Soon, Sheikah had made her way over, as well, attempting to interject.

"It's... something with her past, that came up, Sheikah." Celestia replied, leaving it at that. If Melanie wanted to say more, that was her own choice.

Looks like Mel was getting more attention over this than she'd hoped. She sniffled back the rest of her tears and had Celestia let her go. "N-Non, I will be fine... Juste some... Bad memories, coming back to ze surface. Bose of you, do not worry, too much. I will be fine, oui?" She smiled. She'd gotten used to all of this over the years. She'd only lost her grip due to that revelation, but she'd gotten it back quick enough. She wiped her eyes to make sure her face was clear. "See? Très bien. Look at zat."