Favorite Pokemon game, revised edition

OrangeCrush980

What's your favorite Pokemon game?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite main-series Pokemon game?

• Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen
    • Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver
    • Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • Pokemon Black/White
    • Pokemon Black 2/White 2
    • Pokemon X/Y
  2. 2. What's your favorite spinoff Pokemon game?

• Pokemon Colosseum
    • Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky
    • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
    • Pokemon Conquest
    • Pokemon Rumble (any version)
    • Pokemon Ranger (any version)
    • Pokemon Trading Card Game 1/2
    • Pokemon Puzzle League/Challenge
    • Pokemon Stadium 0/1/2
    • Pokemon Snap
    • Pokemon Pinball (any version)
    • Pokemon Battle Revolution
    • Pokemon Dash
    • Pokemon Dream Radar
    • Other

'Tis a hard choice

Black/White definitely. Since 2000 I've been playing Pokémon, and none of the main games has had an effect on me as much as Black/White did, so that was a no brainer

Choosing my favourite spin-off title was so much harder. Was a tie between Conquest and Explorers of Time/Darkness, but I eventually gave into the former. Such an amazing game with loads of replayability and countless hours were logged trying to transform the Warlords and unlock all the legendaries (damn you, Tadakatsu!), but was really good regardless

Here's a funtastic idea for you, Orange Crush, why don't you start off the topic by answering your own question instead of leaving a spam post.

To contribute to the topic, I think the 2nd gen is probably my favourite, but that probably comes down to mostly nostalgia. I loved those old graphics and sprites, and the music was lovely.

Well, I say second generation. It may technically not be the best generation but it probably made the greatest steps about improving the series.

In the first generation, It was already a nightmare to find a particular Pokemon in your boxes. "You can't look into this box because you have a full team and you can't put a Pokemon into this box because it is already full. You wanna switch the box, you need to save first." The changes in the second generation made the game just so much more fun to play.

It's also just feels well, as far as being a sequel goes.

The world is bigger, the rival is a criminal instead of being a mere jerk, Team Rocket aims higher and the Elite Four are just the beginning. The game really knew how to up the ante.

I haven't played most of the spin-offs, so I say Pokemon Stadium.

As expensive as the game was, I am almost tempted to say that the game is already worth it for the chance of managing your Pokemon properly.

It gave you all kinds of tools and information that the actual games didn't give you. It helped a lot in making the first generation more enjoyable.

But beyond that, it was simply great to have the opportunity to fight against intelligent enemies in an environment that due to level restrictions made victory dependent on strategy instead of mere levels.

Pika Cup was bullshit, though. That damn lv20 Tentacruel. "Tournament for beginners" my ass.

Edited by BrightBow

Pika Cup was amazingly funny with tradebacks. One can have a team with juggernauts such as Gengar, Snorlax, Tauros, Jolteon, Exeggutor and Golem, all entirely from tradebacks.

I also remember that one R2 Challenge Cup match in PS2. Had a team of six Pokémon I really enjoyed and was facing an Ursaring with only an Aerodactyl remaining. Sadly it had Metal Claw so I decided to use Fly for more power behind my attacks. On the last Fly I got, I managed to get the one critical hit I needed to win, otherwise I would've died 95% of the time.

Gen 2 nostalgia FTW, for most of what Bright Bow said. Second favorite is currently Gen 5, mostly because of N, and Gen 6 is currently third place for amazing new features and beautiful region.

Favorite spinoff is hands down Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. So much fun to play and all the feels from the story!!! Simply amazing! XD

Runner up is probably Pokemon Conquest; has amazing potential for a spinoff series and was my introduction to Koei's Samurai Warriors. I just wish there was more to do in the actual game after beating all the side stories (which got a little boring after all the repeating premises of contests and take over the continent next with this dude). Which makes me really hope they come out with another one that has more features.

(There's a Pokemon Stadium 0?)

Gen 3 is my favorite main series, but wtf, how is it getting the most votes? I've never ever seen that anywhere, and it's winning by a nice margin. It's always gen 1 or 2, maybe with 5 trailing behind. I suppose there just aren't enough votes yet.

Pokemon Stadium for the second part because...PS2 is the only spin-off I ever played.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

BW1 ruled. I didn't like BW2 as much because I really enjoyed playing a whole region of new stuff.

Colosseum for spinoffs, it and XD were by far the best thing about 3rd gen.

Imo, gen 6 = gen 5 > gen 4 > gen 2 > gen 1 > gen 3. I totally love X and Black 2, as well as Platinum. I voted X/Y though, because it's my obsession in Pokemon atm. :P

I'm surprised gen 3 has so many votes, I thought it was terrible. I dislike the region, the story, and most of the Pokemon.

As for the other games, I picked Snap. I haven't played many of the side games, I've only ever been really interested in the main series. Pokemon Snap was so much fun though, I still play it once in awhile too. :3 I also enjoyed Stadium 2, Poke Park Wii, Poke Park 2, and Battle Revolution.

Also, why aren't the Poke Park games on the poll? I might actually change my vote. I'm not sure if I liked them more than Snap now. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Generation 3 is the "in" generation or something, which says a lot because its initial reception was quite bad, mostly because it started with only 200 Pokémon out of a total 386. Reminds me of Majora's Mask in a way.

I liked a good number of the Pokémon and the ecology based game was alright, but everything after Norman ended up being really boring.

"hey let's put all the water routes together, put a water gym and an elite four made out of reused types!"

Emerald added insult to injury by replacing a pretty good Champion with another fucking Water trainer.

Then there's the whole contests and poffins and other crap a lot of people forgot about, or how infuriating it is to get a Feebas, let alone a Milotic.

Edited by Woodshooter

I picked Gen 3 because I absolutely loved the world, map, and new Pokemon. I actually cared about the contests, and made a Shuppet that won all five~!

For spin-off, it was a tough tie between Conquest and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. Conquest has better-looking guys, but Explorers of the Sky made me cry twice. I may cry during certain emotional game moments, but rarely do I bawl through an entire ending; thus, my vote.

Gen 3, followed by gen 5, 2, 4 , and 1.

Gen three was the best balance of fun, although the ingame bit was unbalanced.

Gen 5 just felt rewarding, gen 2 was gen 1 plus a bunch of new stuff, gen 4 was alright but I have no opinion on it, and gen 1 was broken in half so easily.

As for spin-offs, it goes Conquest>The Orre games>PMD>Snap>Bandai Cyber Pokeball.

Fun srpg with great design> Games that had more traditional rpg elements and on a home console> [it's PMD]>The funnest n64 pokemon game[stadium Minigames cause so much rage]>That toy I picked up on vacation and used for 4 years.

85568-pokeballOrange-445.jpg

Edited by Popeye

Gen 3 was my absolute favorite despite the huge amount of water I liked the region and its trainers a lot. Not to mention its Mons and the advent of Contests and Battle Frontier to add more to the games. Not to mention how much abilities and natures changed the game. I've been a Pokémon player since Gen 1 and have almost played the entire series. I lack gen 6 currently though

I loved the stadium games, Snap, Puzzle League (heck I even got that on VC), Mystery Dungeon but my favorite spinoff is Colosseum. Its region being based on my home state of Arizona is part of it. But I liked the concept a lot. It was a semi darker pokemon game although it still had the usual kiddie tone, shadow mons were interesting

Edited by Jedi Fon Fabre

Emerald's big mistake was replacing Steven with Wallace. I suppose it was nice that Steven became the Red of the game at Meteor Falls, but Wallace was really easy (though his Ludicolo was hax).

Aside from that, I have so many memories playing Emerald when I was younger. I remember being awed by the route music (especially Route 110), trying to find a Ralts, playing my GBA with my friend at lunch as we tried to figure out the mystery of the Sealed Chamber, feeling so proud of myself for finding and catching all three Regis, messing around at the Battle Factory and wishing I could get my hands on the rental Pokémon, and thinking that Cacturne was the coolest shit ever (I still think it's pretty damn awesome).

R/S/E would look amazing with X/Y graphics.

RSE with XY mechanics/graphics would mean drake gets obliterated by that early Ralts. :P:

Tho I wonder how badly mega heracross/banette would rape t+l

Edited by Popeye

2>6>4>3>5>1

HGSS is still my favorite Pokemon game. It has all the ideas that original Gold and Silver and with all the polish of Diamond and Pearl. I also adored the music in this.

XY gets bonus points for relevance. It has just been released but I love how convenient it is with regards to breeding and EV training. The music is lackluster for the first time in the series however.

DPP brought about the most dramatic mechanics changes with regards to competitive battling. Some people hated these changes but I'm not one of them. Hearthome City has the greatest music.

RSE was alright. I don't have much to say about it except that I hated the music. Slateport City saves it from being a trumpet tooting disaster.

I don't really feel that BW/B2W2 really added much compared to gen 4. The graphics were also really ugly. They were way too bright and pixely. XY got the idea that less movement for the mons actually made them more lifelike than the weird and awkward sprites of gen 5. A lot of ugly Pokemon released this gen actually ended up looking much better in XY's sprites. The story was good and the music was the best in the series but I don't have to play the game to appreciate those aspects.

RBY is outdated and riddled with bugs. I never found HM surf because I was a stupid kid with no friends or internet.

I have literally never played a spinoff before. Pokemon Conquest looks cool though.

RSE with XY mechanics/graphics would mean drake gets obliterated by that early Ralts. :P:

Tho I wonder how badly mega heracross/banette would rape t+l

Mega Blaziken would trash Norman.

...Hopefully we don't get Mega Evolutions until postgame. >_>

6>2>5>3>1>4?

[spoiler=Breakdown]

6 is mostly because it brought so many little improvements to the table that even going back to Unova games (2-3 years ago) is difficult. Plus, the enormous regional dex gives you plenty of options - I've just started Nuzlocking one of the games and so far the only things that look guaranteed are the starters.

2 did the same to its predecessor, and I'm convinced that it has the best soundtrack in the franchise (Though the level curve is a bit... Odd).

5 was very refreshing: your rivals were characters more than they were obstacles and the villainous team wasn't cleanly defeated just after the seventh badge. They drove things and gave you more of a reason to reach the champion than "because you can". Unfortunately, it started slow and BW2 felt like it could have been so much more.

3... I love Hoenn. I love the plot (such as it was), the region's design, the pokemon... But gameplay-wise, it's a step back from gen 2 in several ways and later games would improve on everything else.

1 hasn't aged well, but it gets credit for laying the groundwork. It was a fun and fairly unique adventure at the time... Or maybe I was just 7.

I have a grudge against 4. Gameplay is too slow and the pacing is fairly poor. Platinum was an improvement, but not enough.

The Pokemon TCG games are fun and I wish there were more of them.