Why was the luck cap in POR 40?

Well, since caps went past 20, Luck was always as high as stats could possibly go. So I guess it's just consequent to have Luck this high since there are units with stats higher then 30.

Black Knight, King Daein and Laguz? They're the ones who cannot quite reach the luck cap, too.

Luck has always been a shitty stat. Making it more useful by increasing the max bonus it can give isn't a bad idea, actually.

/makesanote

It now has a purpose (about time!) with the skills in Awakening. Miracle can be a real saving grace.

Luck has always been a shitty stat. Making it more useful by increasing the max bonus it can give isn't a bad idea, actually.

/makesanote

idk, protection against stray crits and both higher accuracy and higher avoid for better reliability with connecting attacks and surviving enemy phases are pretty important. It even affects the AI behaviour in the DS games apparently.

Well, for Luck it's more like unless you're below a low threshold, you don't need very much of it to get by. Not to mention that one needs to have an excess amount for it to make a significant difference.

Although personally I've found enemies with even reasonable amounts of luck to be incredibly annoying.

Well, for Luck it's more like unless you're below a low threshold, you don't need very much of it to get by. Not to mention that one needs to have an excess amount for it to make a significant difference.

Although personally I've found enemies with even reasonable amounts of luck to be incredibly annoying.

If Fir and Rutger were to somehow equal in availability in FE6, I'd probably choose Fir, because higher luck means less trouble with connecting bosskilling blows, not to mention better avo and no chance of critblick (generally).

Comparing their bases from Rutger's perspective-

+1HP 0Str +2Skl +2Spd -1Lck +2Def -1Res +2Con

That's 4 more AS at base with the Killing Edge, plus that extra defense and skill. No way in hell would I pick Fir over him.

Having less defence would actually be good IMHO, because rescuedropping Rutger is such an easy way of clearing a huge pile of enemies on EP when playing on HM, but they should be willing to target Rutger instead of anyone else. Fir also shortens or nullifies Rutger's lead in several stats by catching up in the 3 levels that she is below him.

If Rutger and Fir joined at the same Rutger would have more/ Fir would have less HM bonuses (assuming HM because Refa used HM stats) so he would trash her even more. Rutger also has a better sword rank. I don't think Fir really benefits as much as it seems.

More related, I didn't actually know this. Does it really matter much though? The only conceivable use I can think of for so much luck is like Miracle and transfers if you could somehow hit 40, but 2 luck will probably not mean a lot in RD, either.

/makesanote

Actually Luck doesn't seems to be the most important stat, but units with nearly none are royally screwed (Knoll "Every ennemy will Crit me to death" is the best example).

You only reallised its importance when you don't have any... Quite fitting given the name, don't you think ?

You only reallised its importance when you don't have any... Quite fitting given the name, don't you think ?

it's more like a difference of 2 luk is negligible, but a difference of 10 luk has substantial effects.

on the rutger vs. fir subject, if fir joined in chapter 4, her HM bonuses would only average to 8 str and 12 spd.

Luck is pretty important in fe12

And I'd say Radiant Dawn also makes Luck pretty important, considering the game throws lots of mooks with enhanced crit at you.

This is FE9, though. Surely 40 Luck is slightly overkill?

I'd agree there - only Rhys and Mist can even remotely feasibly cap luck, and even then they'd probably need Ashera Icons to do it.

This is FE9, though. Surely 40 Luck is slightly overkill?

It is haha, I don't recall fe9 having many crit happy enemies. Sure every now and again but not super often. Then again I haven't played Japanese Maniac

The real reason is probably because most Laguz classes, as well as few others, have caps in the 30's, and they wanted to maintain the tradition of LUK being a fixed stat cap which is as high or higher than every other stat could be. Although if that were the case they slightly screwed up as Red Dragons (M) have a STR cap of 45... for some reason...

(Fun Fact: If you give Mist both Ashera Icons, she has a 1.1% chance of capping LUK. Then she can transfer a +LUK bonus into RD... which is great, since in RD her tier 2 LUK cap is 40 and tier 3 is 35, so you'll get to watch as her LUK drops after promotion (maybe)!)

Edited by Tables

I could never understand why the luck stat caps are lower for tier 3 than for tier 2 classes.

(or does that happen only to mist and sothe?)

Huh, didn't know it happened to Sothe as well. I think it's just those two (better check Heather... okay and Heather) three but might be one or two others. I would guess it was just an oversight. Most classes keep the same luck cap throughout.